• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Hofstra is dropping football

:eek: It's on ESPN.com too.

That is terrible news, some good NFL players have come out of Hofstra in recent years. I will never forget the Griz dropping the first game of the Joe Glenn era to the Pride, 10-9 in Wa. Griz.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4709412

Hofstra University is dropping its football team, citing high costs and low interest from the college community.

The university, which has fielded a football team for the last 69 years, told its coaching staff Thursday morning that it is dropping the sport, sources told ESPN.com.

The Pride, which has competed in the NCAA's Football Championship Subdivision since 1991, is the second member of the Colonial Athletic Association to drop its football program in the last 10 days. Northeastern University in Boston announced it was dropping its football program after 74 seasons on Nov. 23.

In a statement obtained by The Associated Press on Thursday, university president Stuart Rabinowitz says "the choice was painful but clear."

He says factors include the cost of running the football program and the team's inability to generate significant interest, financial support or attendance.

The decision follows a two-year review of sports spending at Hofstra. Rabinowitz says there are no plans to cut any other sports at the Long Island school.

Hofstra has an enrollment of 12,400 students and is located in Hempstead, N.Y., on Long Island.

School officials told ESPN.com that athletics director Jack Hayes and football coach Dave Cohen were unavailable for comment Thursday morning.

CAA commissioner Thomas Yeager was unavailable for comment, conference spokesman Scott Meyer said.

The Pride went 5-6 this past season, tying for third with a 3-5 record in the CAA North. Hofstra has produced five NFL draft picks since 1991, including New Orleans Saints star receiver Marques Colston and Pittsburgh Steelers tackle Willie Colon. Former Pride quarterback Giovanni Carmazzi was a third-round choice of the San Francisco 49ers in 2000, and former New York Jets receiver Wayne Chrebet played there.

Mark Schlabach covers college football for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Vidav said:
He says factors include the cost of running the football program and the team's inability to generate significant interest, financial support or attendance.

How unfortunate. It's statements like this that make me realize just how lucky we are to have a football program as successful as ours.

the bottom of the CAA are totally dropping the sport to save money. I could see Northeastern to a point because of no attendance and poor football facilities. Hofstra has nice football facilities and a solid football history. Very surprised and disappointed.... :oops:

Wow that's sad.You have to hate seeing a program elliminated due to lack of funding and fan support. I agree the U of M and all Griz fans have it real good.

UofMGrizFan said:
Wow that's sad.You have to hate seeing a program elliminated due to lack of funding and fan support. I agree the U of M and all Griz fans have it real good.

We've got 3-4 schools right here in the Big Sky that are in the same boat Hofstra was.

Why couldnt Wayne Chrebet kick them down some cash? Kidding, this is too bad. Bummer. I wonder who is next? Hopefully it isnt anybody from our conference.

I hate to beat the dead horse, but Northeastern and Hofstra dropping football is just the tip of the iceberg IMO. You will see many more FCS schools either drop thier program or scale back due to the overwhelming loss football is for most schools at the level. I enjoy the playoffs as much as anyone, but this shows that it maybe time to be more proactive in expanding the athletic department and explore the WAC and FBS, or sit back and watch as FCS level football evaporates.

grizindabox said:
I hate to beat the dead horse, but Northeastern and Hofstra dropping football is just the tip of the iceberg IMO. You will see many more FCS schools either drop thier program or scale back due to the overwhelming loss football is for most schools at the level. I enjoy the playoffs as much as anyone, but this shows that it maybe time to be more proactive in expanding the athletic department and explore the WAC and FBS, or sit back and watch as FCS level football evaporates.

I could not agree more...

Come on Hofstra, WHERE'S THE PRIDE??!!

I agree with grizindabox. We need to explore our options, this isn't looking good.

DiscoGriz said:
Then we can watch the griz (with no mt kids ) try and compete for a bowl game,not a NC. cant wait

I think once this all shakes out you will be very happy to have the chance at a bowl game.

DiscoGriz said:
Then we can watch the griz (with no mt kids ) try and compete for a bowl game,not a NC. cant wait

I hear you, but your post pre-supposes there is a viable FCS and an NC to play for. I'm probably with you if there is still an NC and more than 20 strong programs competing for it.

But what if there isn't?

DiscoGriz said:
Let me guess your not originaly from MT are you.griz 57

Born and raised in Missoula since 84. Graduated from UM in 07. Playoffs won't be much fun when all the top teams in FCS have moved on. Disco I will miss the playoffs, but it is going to happen so you might as well start to at least warm up to the idea.

Latest posts

Back