• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Hofstra is dropping football

Just thinking that if a playoff is such a huge deal, why do high school football players even want to play at a PAC-10 school, or how do WAC schools even field a team...all the kids go to FCS level to win a Championship in an actually playoff.

DiscoGriz said:
From a fans standpoint, what we have cant get any better.a move up and we are just another idaho

But it could get worse, especially with the changing landscape of FCS football.

I also am getting tired of the "We will be the next Idaho" chant all the FBS naysayers use. No one can guess what the road would be like, but I feel that it is time to at least explore the idea.

i see your point, but we are talkn years before it gets that bad.i understand move while you can.if they move up, all i can say is go corroll.

DiscoGriz said:
i see your point, but we are talkn years before it gets that bad.i understand move while you can.if they move up, all i can say is go corroll.

Disco, guess you showed that you are a bandwagon fan...real fans will stick behind the program.

I think the move up crowd falls into two categories, young and old. It seems that all my friends and everyone I talk to my age (mid 20's) thinks UM can compete at a higher level and are willing to fight through the growing pains. While the older crowd doesn't want to see the program take that dip and fall into mediocrity while they are in their golden years. This is obviously a broad generalization but something I have noticed.

Hmm that was random.

griz5700 said:
I think the move up crowd falls into two categories, young and old. It seems that all my friends and everyone I talk to my age (mid 20's) thinks UM can compete at a higher level and are willing to fight through the growing pains. While the older crowd doesn't want to see the program take that dip and fall into mediocrity while they are in their golden years. This is obviously a broad generalization but something I have noticed.

Hmm that was random.

Silvertip is older than Mt Sentinel, and I think he's the biggest Ahole move up guy. Not all move up guys/gals are Aholes.

Most of you are just out of diapers when it comes to living in the real world and it seems that you don't study history too much either. Things change and it always seems, at first, to be for the worst and that is because the unknown is uncomfortable. Geet over it.
A few teams drop out and somebody has to start the "sky is falling" chicken dance. Going up to become a perennial whipping post as we have been in the past is not the answer, and if you think the 27,000 "loyal" griz fans will stick around, that's your choice, but so is ignorance.
We are in a great place and the best thing for us to do is to keep leveraging the greatness that has been created. FCS

IM with ya ancient, im 34 and i love the griz as much as anybody because they are mostly mt boys.They move up and there will be maybe 5-8 mts.We have something great lets keep it.who wants to be the vandals?

Thanks for backing my theory ancient griz

Disco your only 34, come on man you can handle a couple .500 seasons.. You really don't think we could build a better program than Idaho?? Give me a break, you guys act like the WAC is some dominant league. Besides BSU, Nevada, and Fresno the rest of the conference is weak. I am confident that we can compete and do very well in the WAC in all sports.

You guys really want to stay if all the dominant teams at our level move up? That's so lame!

Grizzly4Life said:
Why do we have to be the Vandals? Why not the Boise St. Broncos?

Idaho is a more convenient answer for the people who do not want to move up, they'd rather ignore the possibilities of success. That is unless those who do not want to move up think the Montana athletic department is as poor as Idaho's and will not do what it takes to be successful.

Noles & Griz said:
Grizzly4Life said:
Why do we have to be the Vandals? Why not the Boise St. Broncos?

Idaho is a more convenient answer for the people who do not want to move up, they'd rather ignore the possibilities of success. That is unless those who do not want to move up think the Montana athletic department is as poor as Idaho's and will not do what it takes to be successful.

While I usually stay on the sideline with this discussion it should be pointed out that I believe Boise runs an athletic budget that's about $11,000,000 higher than the UMs. Where would we make up those costs to be at that level?

Adding more sports won't, most added sports will probably not increase revenues but decrease it.

Moving up is probably something that will have to be done at some point, but just to say, "Hey look, Boise can do it!" isn't telling the whole story. Boise did it b/c they had the financial ability to do so. We could aslo point out that Idaho, W. Kentucky, and Marshall to name a few have really had very limited success if any at all at the next level.

I have never been a fan of d1a because there is not a playoff system.i dont get the whole bowl game.i love the fcs, for the most part you have the best kids in from thier own state competing.i dont want to see the majority of players from out of state playing for the Griz.if we move up i would feel like a sellout.

Idaho is more convenient b/c its more realistic. Missoula is more akin to Moscow than Boise. Our market looks more like those that have failed (see ReMax's post) than those that have thrived. Reno, Fresno, Boise are big markets. Missoula, Moscow, Laramie are not. The average 18yro stud has probably heard of the formers and not the latters. People assume we could consistently win but i think we would be at a huge disadvantage due to our small market. Name me one "small" market school that consistently wins at the FBS level. There probably is one or two but they are the exception, not the norm.

Remax when Boise made their move I doubt they had a very big athletic budget and I know they didn't have the fan support that the Griz have. A big part of their income is from TV rights and money from their conference.
Do you know how much money the UofM got from the BSC this last year?

griz5700 said:
Thanks for backing my theory ancient griz

Disco your only 34, come on man you can handle a couple .500 seasons.. You really don't think we could build a better program than Idaho?? Give me a break, you guys act like the WAC is some dominant league. Besides BSU, Nevada, and Fresno the rest of the conference is weak. I am confident that we can compete and do very well in the WAC in all sports.

You guys really want to stay if all the dominant teams at our level move up? That's so lame!
Who are the dominant team's that have moved up recently. Just as many teams that move up are middle of the road teams that aren't even entertaining championship hopes. And just because two teams from the northeast, that have no fan base and very few win's, don't feel that it is worth there time to keep football around doesn't mean that all of a sudden the FCS as we know it is crumbling. I'll be more worried when the Southern Illinois, Georgia Southern's, and Appalachian States of the world start talking about closing up shop. Yes, the economic situation that our country is currently in is forcing the hand of some schools to get rid of football, but the schools that would make such a decision, were probably contemplating the idea for years already.

garizzalies said:
Idaho is more convenient b/c its more realistic. Missoula is more akin to Moscow than Boise. Our market looks more like those that have failed (see ReMax's post) than those that have thrived. Reno, Fresno, Boise are big markets. Missoula, Moscow, Laramie are not. The average 18yro stud has probably heard of the formers and not the latters. People assume we could consistently win but i think we would be at a huge disadvantage due to our small market. Name me one "small" market school that consistently wins at the FBS level. There probably is one or two but they are the exception, not the norm.
Boise is not that bigger of a market than Missoula, I don't think. Boise has a population of like 300,000 I'm guessing. Missoula is like 100,000 with surrounding areas i.e. Frenchtown, Bonner, Lolo, etc.

garizzalies said:

Uh. No. Speaking as someone who actually spent quality time in Moscow and Missoula, I assure they are nothing alike.
Moscow is not only smaller than Missoula, it's only accessible by two lane road from its nearest population center Coeur d' Alene. It's also cut off from the rest of the state. You want to get to an Idaho game from Pocatello or Idaho Falls, you have to drive through freaking Montana.
And then there's that PAC 10 school in Pullman, 15 minutes away from your campus. Fans cans either go see USC or fill in the blank play the Cougs, albiet not the best ticket at the moment, or they can watch the Vandals play someone like Utah State? And then there's the matter of the Kibbie Dome being a crap facility. No one from Moscow would ever suggest with a straight face that it and Missoula were like each other.

Back