• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MSU makes list of biggest college/degree $ wastes

WaGriz4life

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/03/these-us-colleges-and-majors-are-the-biggest-waste-of-money/359653/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also from the website payscale that they got their info. from.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/School=Montana_State_University_-_Main_Campus/Salary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/School=University_of_Montana/Salary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MSU is on the worst list for out of state students majoring in education. At a school focused on engineering and sciences.

If one goes to MSU from out of state to major in education, I think he/she knows it's not cost effective. Then again, if one goes to MSU from out of state to major in education, maybe he/she has no idea.

poiuyter said:
MSU is on the worst list for out of state students majoring in education. At a school focused on engineering and sciences.

Yes. Why would a student go to any out of state school and pay out of state tuition to get a degree in a field like teaching which is historically underpaid? If you want to be a teacher, go to your local state school campus, graduate and then get your teaching credential. Once you're credentialed, nobody cares what college you went to. Save your money.

CV Griz Fan said:
poiuyter said:

Yes. Why would a student go to any out of state school and pay out of state tuition to get a degree in a field like teaching which is historically underpaid? If you want to be a teacher, go to your local state school campus, graduate and then get your teaching credential. Once you're credentialed, nobody cares what college you went to. Save your money.
Truth. I'll take any opportunity to knock Bozeman State, but this one is bogus.

CV Griz Fan said:
poiuyter said:

Yes. Why would a student go to any out of state school and pay out of state tuition to get a degree in a field like teaching which is historically underpaid?

Bridger bowl
Big Sky
Madison
Gallatin
Jefferson
Yellowstone (river and park)
Hyalite Canyon (rock/ice climbing)

Most out of state education and liberal arts majors are at msu for the world class extra curricular outdoor activities (skiing/riding, climbing, fishing, rafting, hiking, backpacking....etc) rather than the maximum ROI.

If they have the means, I say more power to 'em.

wbtfg said:
CV Griz Fan said:
poiuyter said:

Yes. Why would a student go to any out of state school and pay out of state tuition to get a degree in a field like teaching which is historically underpaid?

Bridger bowl
Big Sky
Madison
Gallatin
Jefferson

Most out of state education and liberal arts majors are at msu for the world class extra curricular outdoor activities (skiing/riding, climbing, fishing, rafting, hiking, backpacking....etc) rather than the maximum ROI.

That's a good point. I wish I would have had the means to rip an art history degree or something from Pepperdine or USD. Aside from surfing, it would be more for the world class indoor extra curricular activities, but still . . .

CDAGRIZ said:
wbtfg said:
CV Griz Fan said:
poiuyter said:

Bridger bowl
Big Sky
Madison
Gallatin
Jefferson

That's a good point. I wish I would have had the means to rip an art history degree or something from Pepperdine or USD. Aside from surfing, it would be more for the world class indoor extra curricular activities, but still . . .

Seriously...pepperdine is my dream school.

wbtfg said:
Bridger bowl
Big Sky
Madison
Gallatin
Jefferson

Add shivering.....

kemajic said:
wbtfg said:
Bridger bowl
Big Sky
Madison
Gallatin
Jefferson

Add shivering.....
CORRECTION: Add Frigid...not just the weather...

Actually, it would be tough to top San Luis Obispo.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outposts/post/my-playground-big-sur-4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hammer said:

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outposts/post/my-playground-big-sur-4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can't argue with that.

John Steinbeck

Ursa Major said:
Hammer said:

Can't argue with that.

John Steinbeck

You can never argue with anyone who loves Montana, and likes dogs.

EverettGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
Hammer said:

Can't argue with that.

John Steinbeck

You can never argue with anyone who loves Montana, and likes dogs.
:thumb:

wbtfg said:
CV Griz Fan said:
poiuyter said:

Bridger bowl
Big Sky
Madison
Gallatin
Jefferson

You forgot to put fat bottom girls on your list! :lol:

just fyi :thumb:

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/School=Montana_Tech_of_The_University_of_Montana/Salary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CDAGRIZ said:
If one goes to MSU from out of state to major in education, I think he/she knows it's not cost effective. Then again, if one goes to MSU from out of state to major in education, maybe he/she has no idea.

That would explain the state of education in this country.

grizfan95 said:
CV Griz Fan said:
poiuyter said:

Truth. I'll take any opportunity to knock Bozeman State, but this one is bogus.

Ageed! At the end of the day all Montanans desire our schools and students to excell, it benefits us all. Has it come to a sorry state that we bash education and related student issues to one up campus and student affairs. On the field/court is one thing these issues another.

Back