• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lance Leipold

Hammer

DONOR
For discussion purposes, this guys record is crazy.

Thoughts?

Wisconsin-Whitewater coach Lance Leipold has reached 100 wins faster than any other coach in NCAA history.

Bob Donnan/USA TODAY Sports
Wisconsin-Whitewater coach Lance Leipold reached 100 wins faster than any other coach in NCAA history.

With the Warhawks' 52-3 win against Wisconsin-Eau Claire on Saturday, Leipold improved to 100-6 as a head coach. Leipold has guided the Warhawks to five Division III national championships since taking over as the team's coach in 2007.

The previous mark was set by Hall of Fame coach Gil Dobie, who reached 100 wins in 108 games while at Cornell in 1921.

"It's something that will sink in probably further down the road," Leipold told the school's official athletics website. "I'm very fortunate for the opportunity to be the head coach at UW-Whitewater. We have players that have played hard and bought into the philosophy, and we have a great group of assistant coaches who we've been able to retain. They've done an outstanding job."

Leipold's 100-6 record (.943 winning percentage) leads all active NCAA Division II and III coaches, according to the school's athletics website. Leipold also boasts a playoff record of 29-1 (.967 winning percentage).

It's division III football. I'm sure Leipold is playing for all the marbles, but I'll bet a lot of schools with DI I I programs aren't, just like a lot of FCS schools seem to put forth the bare minimum.

Until the BOR pulls their collective heads out of their a$$e$$ and pay what other coaches get at this level around the country it will be hard to pull a great hire other than someone who knows the history of this program or was involved with it in the past.

grizare#1 said:
Until the BOR pulls their collective heads out of their a$$e$$ and pay what other coaches get at this level around the country it will be hard to pull a great hire other than someone who knows the history of this program or was involved with it in the past.
Oh, how very (sadly) right you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This guy does sound like a winner to me. It is a lower division than even the frontier conference so the same argument could be said for MVD whom I also think would be a great coach for the griz.

I imagine one of the biggest challenges for a DIII coach who moves up to DII or FCS is managing scholarships. Since DIII schools can't offer athletic scholarships, a DIII coach has to get up to speed in a hurry, especially if he's on the recruiting trail right away. It's not an insurmountable challenge if you have assistants in place who've worked at higher levels (or NAIA) or if you've worked at those levels yourself, but it is an issue.

But Jesus, it's hard to ignore those results...at any level.

I think to achieve results like that, you have to have a system that works like a fine Swiss watch, every part has to work flawlessly together. I think that is the kind of person we need as a coach, a guy that is attentive to every detail.

indian-outlaw said:
This guy does sound like a winner to me. It is a lower division than even the frontier conference so the same argument could be said for MVD whom I also think would be a great coach for the griz.

DIII isn't a lower division than the Frontier Conference (NAIA). It goes DI, DII, DIII, NAIA.

I feel like if his (Leipold's) record was "meh" (say 50% / 60%) winning percentage, I'd feel pretty conflicted about it. He has flat out dominated though, so I'm more "intrigued" about it then being caught up on "Oh, he's just a D3 coach." If you can coach, you can coach. The compliance committee should be the folks helping him out with all the nuances of what you can / can't do anyway.

get'em_griz said:
indian-outlaw said:

DIII isn't a lower division than the Frontier Conference (NAIA). It goes DI, DII, DIII, NAIA.

NAIA has scholarships for athletics. DIII doesn't. Coaches who can recruit without any athletic money generally do a good job of recruiting.

My concern is that he doesn't have a lot of experience outside of that school. Played there. Coached a couple of other places, and now is back. His only experience with a scholarship school is a year as a GA at Wisconsin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Leipold" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
I could care less about how experienced he is or isn't. If you think someone is a good fit, and right for the job, you hire them.

All I see is that 101-6 record. :shock:

And the guy knows who in Montana and the Pacific NW ?

Leipold sounds like a great young coach, but when we have a deep bench of current griz assistants (Gregorak, Gragg), former GRIZ asst's (Thompson, Tim Hauck, Kraig Paulson) that are part of our winning tradition since Don Read, can locate Montana on the map, and have a lot of recruiting contacts both in Montana and the NW, I say stay in-house.

This strategy has worked quite well for GRIZ basketball !!!

Back