• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lance Leipold

Hard no to just jump at the record. Be interesting where he'd draw his staff from? Did Glenn bring most of his staff from Northern Colorado, I don't recall?

No, No, No, No....we don't want to stay in house. None of them are head coaching material. Hell, Gragg can't even teach the OL how to block and you say he could be our next head coach? We must have a fresh new outlook in a new coach that doesn't have any connections to our program. As I stated on another thread, the search and interview processes in the past have been tainted and that includes the Engstrom hire. Let's clean it up and do it right. The young coach Hammer mentioned, we should be on the phone with him ....today!!

billingsgriz said:
And the guy knows who in Montana and the Pacific NW ?

Leipold sounds like a great young coach, but when we have a deep bench of current griz assistants (Gregorak, Gragg), former GRIZ asst's (Thompson, Tim Hauck, Kraig Paulson) that are part of our winning tradition since Don Read, can locate Montana on the map, and have a lot of recruiting contacts both in Montana and the NW, I say stay in-house.

This strategy has worked quite well for GRIZ basketball !!!

He is younger than me and younger than Mick and some other coaches; but at the age of 50 he is more of a middle age coach. I like many of the coaches you mentioned but I would consider Lance very strongly if he is truely interested. I keep being told very good things about him personally and as a coach by business associates I have from his area.

A lot of people on this board are quick to denigrate Mike Van Diest because he coaches at an NAIA program (forgetting his years at Wyoming, Northwestern and Massachusetts). The Division II and III top coaches, as noted in this thread, are deserving of consideration. We joke about our overlooking Brian Kelly from Grand Valley State (Div II) when BH was hired.

MVD has earned consideration for this job! He is a Montana native who chose to come back for family reasons and happened to win 6 national championships. He has a strong tie to UM.

From the CC web site:

• Head Coach Mike Van Diest has the best winning percentage (.864) of any active college football coach with more than ten years of experience.

In over fifteen years as head coach at Carroll College, Mike Van Diest has led the Fighting Saints to six National Championships, 13 Frontier Conference Championships (including twelve straight titles from 2000-2011) for one of the most dominating runs in college football history. The Saints have posted a 176-28 record during the past fifteen seasons. This includes a Frontier Conference mark of 121-15 for an impressive winning percentage of 89%. Over the past 12 years the Fighting Saints have a remarkable 150-13 record for a winning percentage of 92%. The Saints have compiled a playoff record of 38-7 over the past twelve years.
This past season, Carroll College reached the National Semifinal game, losing a heartbreaker on the road to the University of the Cumberlands (Ky.) 34-27 in overtime. The Saints finished 12-2 and ranked third nationally in the final NAIA poll.

During his tenure as head coach Van Diest has been named Frontier Conference Coach of the Year nine times. In 2003 and 2005 Van Diest was named NAIA National Coach of the Year by the American Football Association as well as the AFCA Coach of the Year in 2003, 2007 and 2010.

While at Carroll College, Van Diest has coached 34 All-Conference linebackers with eight being named First Team All-Americans: Joe Horne (2001), Cory Perzinski (2002), Marcus Atkinson (2003), Gary Cooper (2004, 2005), Seamus Molloy (2006), Owen Koeppen (2007, 2008) and Thomas Dolan (2010) and Sean Blomquist (2013). Horne, Atkinson, Cooper, Dolan and Blomquist were also named Frontier Conference Defensive Player of the Year.

• The Saints defense leads the Frontier Conference with 16.4 points per game allowed in the first eight games.
• Carroll is the top team in the Frontier Conference for total defense with 304.6 yards per game allowed.
• The Saints are second in the conference for scoring offense at 40.5 points per game.

• Carroll is the top team in the conference for Pass Efficiency with an efficiency rating of 176.
• The Saints are second in the Conference in Sacks allowed with just 1.4 sacks per game.
• Carroll is the fifth ranked team in the nation for scoring defense.
• Carroll is the seventh ranked team in the nation for scoring offense per game.
• The Saints have outscored their opponents 148-50 in the second quarter
• Carroll has a 24-2 home playoff record since the opening of Nelson Stadium in 2001.
• Carroll is 27-6 overall at home in the NAIA Playoffs.

I agree, Lotsa--with Van Diest's success at Carroll and his past ties as an assistant at UM, familiarity with Montana and the Pacific NW--he knows a lot of folks when it comes to recruiting, he would be one of the top candidates on my list provided that he wants the job !!!

kurtismichael said:
cclarkblues said:
Hammer, he looks awfully good, and you have proved to be prescient in the past.

Are you going to be up for the game cclarkblues?

Thought I was going to be hunting, but my son and I filled our tags so I made the mistake of inviting some people over and said I would make a batch of bacon-whiskey chili. I guess I will be rooting from home. Have an extra one for me, duct-tape Hammer to a tree, and the best to you and your bride.

cclarkblues said:
kurtismichael said:
cclarkblues said:

Thought I was going to be hunting, but my son and I filled our tags so I made the mistake of inviting some people over and said I would make a batch of bacon-whiskey chili. I guess I will be rooting from home. Have an extra one for me, duct-tape Hammer to a tree, and the best to you and your bride.

What's a guy gotta do to get that recipe? Two of my favorites.....bacon and whiskey.

get'em_griz said:
indian-outlaw said:
This guy does sound like a winner to me. It is a lower division than even the frontier conference so the same argument could be said for MVD whom I also think would be a great coach for the griz.

DIII isn't a lower division than the Frontier Conference (NAIA). It goes DI, DII, DIII, NAIA.

Yes, it is. It goes DI, DII NAIA, DIII. Beleive me the NAIA teams are better than NCAA DivIII.

cclarkblues said:
kurtismichael said:
cclarkblues said:

I'll do that. Tailgating wouldn't be the same without the ceremonial attempt at duct-taping Hammer to a tree. Enjoy that chili!

This guys sounds very impressive. I would certainly support him if her were chosen. The future would be bright.

Sea Bass said:
cclarkblues said:
kurtismichael said:
cclarkblues said:

What's a guy gotta do to get that recipe? Two of my favorites.....bacon and whiskey.

Sea Bass, a couple years ago I think I got this off of Go Griz when they were running a series of recipes. See if this gets you there. I usually make a double batch and just pour a fifth of honey whiskey in. You might not want to end up too far from a bathroom the next day.

http://www.gogriz.com/blog/2012/10/taste-of-the-tailgate-game-6--northern-colorado-october-6.html

cclarkblues said:
Sea Bass said:
cclarkblues said:
kurtismichael said:

Sea Bass, a couple years ago I think I got this off of Go Griz when they were running a series of recipes. See if this gets you there. I usually make a double batch and just pour a fifth of honey whiskey in. You might not want to end up too far from a bathroom the next day.

http://www.gogriz.com/blog/2012/10/taste-of-the-tailgate-game-6--northern-colorado-october-6.html

Dang, thanks man. That looks awesome.

billingsgriz said:
I agree, Lotsa--with Van Diest's success at Carroll and his past ties as an assistant at UM, familiarity with Montana and the Pacific NW--he knows a lot of folks when it comes to recruiting, he would be one of the top candidates on my list provided that he wants the job !!!

With the pressure of coaching the Griz being what it is, that whole stepping down then reconsidering thing last season is a red flag for me.

indian-outlaw said:
get'em_griz said:
indian-outlaw said:
This guy does sound like a winner to me. It is a lower division than even the frontier conference so the same argument could be said for MVD whom I also think would be a great coach for the griz.

DIII isn't a lower division than the Frontier Conference (NAIA). It goes DI, DII, DIII, NAIA.

Yes, it is. It goes DI, DII NAIA, DIII. Beleive me the NAIA teams are better than NCAA DivIII.

This is right. NAIA is typically a higher level of ball than what you find at D3 level.

Sam A. Blitz said:
indian-outlaw said:
get'em_griz said:
indian-outlaw said:

This is right. NAIA is typically a higher level of ball than what you find at D3 level.

Anybody who thinks DIII is typically better competition isn't paying attention. I've talked with numerous NAIA recruiters who use the no-scholarship situation DIII schools are in against those school when looking for players. NAIA programs can offer up to 24 scholarships I believe, it helps them get players who would otherwise go DIII

Leipold could work as the head coach for UM but I am not sure he would want to tackle the job and put up with the E-Griz board.

I am still big on John Wristen from Division II Colorado State Pueblo. This guy can coach.
His record 64--16 over all and 44--4 over the last four seasons. He gets my vote. Hells fire lets hire him right now.

My guess is Haslam will get us a very good coach. Does not have to be an insider and he can be from out of the country. But the new coach better keep some local coaches that can recruit the west!

Gittes406 said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
indian-outlaw said:
get'em_griz said:

Anybody who thinks DIII is typically better competition isn't paying attention. I've talked with numerous NAIA recruiters who use the no-scholarship situation DIII schools are in against those school when looking for players. NAIA programs can offer up to 24 scholarships I believe, it helps them get players who would otherwise go DIII

NAIA is roughly equivalent to NCAA D2. Not sure top to bottom how it matches up, but I know regionally Central Washington and Carroll used to play home and home series. I believe Carroll usually won.

Carroll is also considering above to s new conference that is NCAA not NAIA.

http://m.missoulian.com/sports/college/frontier/gnac-interested-in-carroll-school-exploring-its-options/article_57ad4f28-98c4-11e3-9870-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see that UW whitewater has strong fan supposrt averaging over 10,000 fans per home game and had a record crowd of over 13,000 earlier this year. Seems that not only is this guy a winner but he know how to win with a great program supported by a strong fan base. I really like what I see from this coach. Some coaches are just born winners.

Maxim said:
I see that UW whitewater has strong fan supposrt averaging over 10,000 fans per home game and had a record crowd of over 13,000 earlier this year. Seems that not only is this guy a winner but he know how to win with a great program supported by a strong fan base. I really like what I see from this coach. Some coaches are just born winners.

Wow, that is impressive for s DIII. That's more than EWU has had in the bleachers this year.

Back