• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lance Leipold

Umista said:
Leipold could work as the head coach for UM but I am not sure he would want to tackle the job and put up with the E-Griz board.

I am still big on John Wristen from Division II Colorado State Pueblo. This guy can coach.
His record 64--16 over all and 44--4 over the last four seasons. He gets my vote. Hells fire lets hire him right now.

My guess is Haslam will get us a very good coach. Does not have to be an insider and he can be from out of the country. But the new coach better keep some local coaches that can recruit the west!

Wristen has some baggage in his past and with the scrutiny UM is under I doubt he's a viable candidate.

I would say the upper tier NAIA teams are probably more talented and a little deeper athletically than the majority of DIII programs. BUT , i WOULDN'T included Whitewater or Mount Union in that category.

Hammer said:
Umista said:
Leipold could work as the head coach for UM but I am not sure he would want to tackle the job and put up with the E-Griz board.

I am still big on John Wristen from Division II Colorado State Pueblo. This guy can coach.
His record 64--16 over all and 44--4 over the last four seasons. He gets my vote. Hells fire lets hire him right now.

My guess is Haslam will get us a very good coach. Does not have to be an insider and he can be from out of the country. But the new coach better keep some local coaches that can recruit the west!

Wristen has some baggage in his past and with the scrutiny UM is under I doubt he's a viable candidate.

Agreed the spousal abuse stuff is just going to hit too close to home here to make him a legitimate candidate.

In terms of competition and six national championships, anyone watching Carroll over the last decade or more with MVD knows that the level of play and talent in the playoffs is very high. Most of the teams they met over the years were full of drop downs with plenty of big time talent (if not big time students or citizens). The competition in the top half of the Frontier is also better than people think or are willing to admit. Winning the conference so many times, going deep in the playoffs and winning it all 6 times is a huge coaching accomplishment deserving of respect and recognition as we replace Mick.

Carroll is likely going Div II next year.

Is anyone else curious why Leipold has spent eight seasons at Whitewater without being picked up by a bigger program? Surely UM is not the first D1 school to show interest over the past few years. He seems pretty rooted there, and has a good thing going. Is the UM job just more appealing than the others? Is he too vested in the program to want to leave? Is there a question mark about his ability to replicate his success at a higher level? Honestly, I'm just curious. You'd think he would have moved up by know if that's what his intentions are. Maybe now is just the right time for him to consider leaving?

lotsa said:
In terms of competition and six national championships, anyone watching Carroll over the last decade or more with MVD knows that the level of play and talent in the playoffs is very high. Most of the teams they met over the years were full of drop downs with plenty of big time talent (if not big time students or citizens). The competition in the top half of the Frontier is also better than people think or are willing to admit. Winning the conference so many times, going deep in the playoffs and winning it all 6 times is a huge coaching accomplishment deserving of respect and recognition as we replace Mick.

Really? What conference?

Great Northern

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/frontier/gnac-interested-in-carroll-school-exploring-its-options/article_57ad4f28-98c4-11e3-9870-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lotsa said:
Great Northern

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/frontier/gnac-interested-in-carroll-school-exploring-its-options/article_57ad4f28-98c4-11e3-9870-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If Carroll does decide to join the GNAC, they would most likely still play in the Frontier next season in the first year of a 3 year transition.

Jaredkuehn said:
Is anyone else curious why Leipold has spent eight seasons at Whitewater without being picked up by a bigger program? Surely UM is not the first D1 school to show interest over the past few years. He seems pretty rooted there, and has a good thing going. Is the UM job just more appealing than the others? Is he too vested in the program to want to leave? Is there a question mark about his ability to replicate his success at a higher level? Honestly, I'm just curious. You'd think he would have moved up by know if that's what his intentions are. Maybe now is just the right time for him to consider leaving?

I was wondering this same thing...he seems like he would be perfectly content just staying at Whitewater until he retires...but at least Missoula would be able to provide him with the same community involvement and passion for its team, even more so then WW....I have a feeling the rest of the big sky is holding its breathe and thinking...plllllzzzzzzzz don't let the Griz pick up this guy! I love the fit. Its apparent hes a winner and knows how to coach the game...hes used to a power house program with tradition...the only thing that I have concern with is could he recruit the NW, something you could solve by keeping some of the current coaches on the staff

What kind of assistants does a DIII coach bring with him. If you read the DIII assistant job postings on Football Scoop, for example, the pay is terrible, in some cases less than $10k a year plus some free tuition.
You can say football is still football regardless of the level, but the coaches in the $10k a year talent pool are not better than those in the upper divisions. Who does Leipold bring with him? Are there coaches at the DII, NAIA and maybe FCS levels willing to hire on with a DIII coach?

lotsa said:

I can't see as it has helped Eastern to go Div II. They have gotten beaten twice by Rocky in BBall this year and their football team stinks.

indian-outlaw said:
get'em_griz said:
indian-outlaw said:
This guy does sound like a winner to me. It is a lower division than even the frontier conference so the same argument could be said for MVD whom I also think would be a great coach for the griz.

DIII isn't a lower division than the Frontier Conference (NAIA). It goes DI, DII, DIII, NAIA.

Yes, it is. It goes DI, DII NAIA, DIII. Beleive me the NAIA teams are better than NCAA DivIII.

This is absolutely incorrect. D3 teams slaughter NAIA teams on a consistent basis. The WIAC (UW-Whitewater's conference) is the best conference in Division 3. Same would go for if they were NAIA. D3 teams often beat Division 2 teams as well.

UWW's last two games against NAIA opponents: 73-7 win, and 65-0 win.

chrim8935 said:
indian-outlaw said:
get'em_griz said:
indian-outlaw said:
This guy does sound like a winner to me. It is a lower division than even the frontier conference so the same argument could be said for MVD whom I also think would be a great coach for the griz.

DIII isn't a lower division than the Frontier Conference (NAIA). It goes DI, DII, DIII, NAIA.

Yes, it is. It goes DI, DII NAIA, DIII. Beleive me the NAIA teams are better than NCAA DivIII.

This is absolutely incorrect. D3 teams slaughter NAIA teams on a consistent basis. The WIAC (UW-Whitewater's conference) is the best conference in Division 3. Same would go for if they were NAIA. D3 teams often beat Division 2 teams as well.

UWW's last two games against NAIA opponents: 73-7 win, and 65-0 win.

UWW is the best team in D3, only citing them is like saying FCS is better than FBS because of NDST's winning streak against the FBS.

get'em_griz said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
I could care less about how experienced he is or isn't. If you think someone is a good fit, and right for the job, you hire them.

All I see is that 101-6 record. :shock:
The record is through the roof. It would seem he is more than qualified for an interview. He looks worth investigating for sure... :egriz:

rimrockgriz said:
get'em_griz said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
I could care less about how experienced he is or isn't. If you think someone is a good fit, and right for the job, you hire them.

All I see is that 101-6 record. :shock:
The record is through the roof. It would seem he is more than qualified for an interview. He looks worth investigating for sure... :egriz:

Agreed. Anyone with that kind of coaching record at a college program deserves a look and a face-to-face conversation.

Buffalo may have beat us to him....

FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop 4m4 minutes ago
I’m hearing Wisconsin Whitewater head coach Lance Leipold will be new head coach at Buffalo. SI just reporting same http://FootballScoop.com/the-scoop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
0 replies 20 retweets 4 favorites
Reply Retweet20 Favorite4
More

grizpack said:
Buffalo may have beat us to him....

FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop 4m4 minutes ago
I’m hearing Wisconsin Whitewater head coach Lance Leipold will be new head coach at Buffalo. SI just reporting same http://FootballScoop.com/the-scoop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
0 replies 20 retweets 4 favorites
Reply Retweet20 Favorite4
More

Confirmed by many on Twitter.

Too bad Lance would have been great. 106-6 Career record with 5 National titles....type of guy that would have instantly made the Griz set their sights on Frisco in January.

Oline Coach said:
Too bad Lance would have been great. 106-6 Career record with 5 National titles....type of guy that would have instantly made the Griz set their sights on Frisco in January.
Montana needs a coach like that soon would be good.

Back