• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Top 5 Camp Stories

bgbigdog

DONOR
Speculation @ this point, but with camp just around the corner, here's a take on five stories and some highly classified insider information that emerges from spring football. What - you wanted more on VA, Baldwin, or Book Club? Will wait until fall camp to speculate on the impacts of the incoming recruits and transfers, once we've had a chance to see how the talent sorts itself.

Defense clearly ahead of the offense. Well duh. But the addition of Markell Sanders @ cornerback & Epperly & Rassmussen @ safety to the rotation makes the DB's a solid unit. Linebackers are solid, & the return of Caleb Kidder to the defensive line helps to ease the blow of losing Wags to the NFL. Speaking of Wags, Crittenden slides into his spot and makes it a three way race for the mystical bestowing of the number 37, joining Kidder and Peevey as the favorites. Bear in mind, that AG1 has already declined. The D is going to have to carry the day if the team is going to run the gauntlet of the opening trifecta.

Offensive line. The return of John Schmaing helps to bolster a much maligned group of youngsters that round into form nicely by the conclusion of camp. Germer understands he is going to have to find a place to play Luke, who's DOLA is off the charts. While there will be some shuffling & a boatload of hard work ahead, make no mistake - this group, along with the running backs, will be the strength of the offense going into week one.

Running back by committee. Favors, Counts, Logwood, Nguyen all have their strengths, and because this is offense is fast paced, expect to see all of them get equal reps as the coaches evaluate their situational readiness. If I were to choose a starter, with a lethal combination of "slippery power", its Logwood. But come on, they're going to try to run a hundred plays, they're going to need to rotate them. Tre (Cough)Favors.

Three clear front-runners emerge from the QB competition, & in no particular order it's Chalich, Prater and Simis. An major injury to any of them puts Willy into the mix immediately. Yes, he's that good. They're all smart enough to run the offense, let's see who can assimilate the fastest and make the timely decisions that are critical to moving the chains and scoring points. Also going out on a limb here, but this will not be the next coming of Double D or Johnny Montana. But in this offense, it's as much more about the 11, than it is the one.

In numbers, the receiver group is deep, nearly a quarter of the team when fall camp is assembled if all holds. While Henderson and Jones have spots locked down, expect Burke & Janssen to be go-to's. Chase get a long look, let's hope he's healthy and ready to go. And who knows, perhaps we'll actually get a look @ Marq Rogers, sure hope so. Perhaps one of the folks formerly known as tight ends comes to the fore. Won't be any shortage of reps so that the coaches get a long look @ what they have now. In reality, the fourth through tenth spots are likely going to be a free-for-all, much like this message board.

Now the little known, but equally important stuff. Insider Stuff...

BW is approached by members of the coaching staff who ask him to be purposely vague in his live tweeting of practice and game activities, in particular the newly installed fly sweep. Things like "great catch by ___________, nice run by _________, boy is it great to have Schmaing back on the O-line." You get the picture. The less we give NDSU to go on, the better chance we have a beating them on opening day. LTCF will be caught in the stands in Helena, with a go-pro strapped to some portion of his anatomy, hoping to get something better on film than the stuff he posted recently. While I have never met you personally, I find it hard to believe there is a resemblance to any of that crap, given your allegiance to .500 state." C'mon man." Like me, Argh will continue to post inane drivel, but both of us will be enjoying champagne & hookers, somewhere. Ok, a lot of us will be looking for champagne and hookers, somewhere. CDA, in light of my constant begging, relents and shares more of the local flavor of Ruching, please and thanks so very, very much. (They're bored on BN, the only thread worth reading, if you get my inference). The AOD recovers nicely, such that there are no shortage of samiches. Everyone who isn't on the bandwagon, won't change their minds even if we roll NDSU, CP and Liberty. Only a NC will do, and then they were aboard all along. Fortunately for all of us, golf, baseball & fishing seasons will be here. Wait, I don't live in Montana, I know you guys are doing that already. The spring game will be the most heavily attended ever, they could probably pack WAGriz with this one - given all that is new. And finally, a fall preview. Work on the Champions Center begins and likely poses problems for the faithful who need a spot tailgating in the fall. A magnanimous gesture of the part of president opens his home and lawn as a temporary replacement venue. Someone, not saying who, poops on his steps, and yet, he remains president.

Surely I've missed something, but what? Go Griz!

O-line is set for week 1 but Luke isn't starting center - Weyer is. I like where the O-line is at, big step-up in terms of experience.

That said good post, fun to guess what we'll be seeing as camp goes. I would say on your 5 points (just my own wild ass guesses here too)

1. Defense WONT be ahead of the offense. New system being thrown at a defense that's breaking in 3 new pass rushers and 2 new players in the secondary. Add in new DBs/CBs coaches as well. Defense's first week is a trial by fire but they lock it in as camp goes by.

2. O-line looks good, depth shows improvement. Pass blocking stays solid like it has been, rush blocking a little more shaky as this group starts to work together for the first time.

3. Nguyen opens as the #1 and finishes as the #1 as he shows he's built for this kind of offense. Counts, Favors, and Logwood show they're ready for increased action too but John Nguyen emerges as "the man".

4. The QB competition comes down to our two QBs from Idaho, Chalich and Simis. No starter is named at the end of spring ball with plans to name the starter by week 2 of pre-fall camp.

5. I would agree at WR. I'm excited to see how Naccarato fits in with this offense. Top 3 WRs are Jones, Hendu, and Naccarato. Next 3 are Burke, Janssen, and either Rogers or Carlson, or maybe even a suprise guy like Lyons or Graham.

I think 3 main points will be obviously apparent in the early months......

1. Our offensive line will be mean and physical and dominate teams like we used to..DOLA will be back

2. Everything will be done fast, decisively, and with a sense of urgency with this team.

3. We will win games because our coaches out schemed and out coached the other side!

Take those 3 to the bank!

As for RB, I have a feeling Nguyen will not separate himself as the man. I would not be surprised if someone emerges ahead of him. I do feel Counts is the "X" factor back coming off injury. He will be depended on more against teams when we need to run more often.

I feel QB is a 3 headed competition with Chalich, Simis, and Prater. BW, why do you feel Prater will not be in the running? Prater has a terrific arm, can make all the throws, and I feel his military experience will give him an edge in taking command and leadership.

mtgrizrule said:
As for RB, I have a feeling Nguyen will not separate himself as the man. I would not be surprised if someone emerges ahead of him. I do feel Counts is the "X" factor back coming off injury. He will be depended on more against teams when we need to run more often.

I feel QB is a 3 headed competition with Chalich, Simis, and Prater. BW, why do you feel Prater will not be in the running? Prater has a terrific arm, can make all the throws, and I feel his military experience will give him an edge in taking command and leadership.

IMHO, his military experience could also hurt him a bit as he is several years older than most of the players and that could impact with how he fits in with the team :twocents:

mtgrizrule said:

He's what... 4 or 5 years removed from significant playing time? And I find it's really hard to judge if a guy can really "make all the throws" from a highlight reel that's that old as well. We will see - call it a gut feeling but I think that Chalich brings recent experience and Simis (as well as Gus) bring the knowledge and familiarity with our WRs.

I think you're right on the leadership aspect. Who knows, I could be way off - I'm going off a guess here but it's just what I think. Obviously I want the best for all of our players - maybe he'll just prove me wrong!

biga75 said:
mtgrizrule said:

IMHO, his military experience could also hurt him a bit as he is several years older than most of the players and that could impact with how he fits in with the team :twocents:

Johnnie Peeples did all right fitting in with the team.

1. The O-line will be solid, but not great. Still a year or 2 away before we see a really good unit.
2. Nguyen will be one of the top 2 backs who sees the most carries. Solid running back, not great.
3. Quarterback starter will still be up in the air, similar to what MSU had going on last year. Except our backup won't turn the ball over 7 times if called upon.
4. WR will be exceptional from top to bottom.

biga75 said:
mtgrizrule said:

Two Words....ROGER STAUBACH

Staubach_Roger_Action_180-220.jpg

BadlandsGrizFan said:
I think 3 main points will be obviously apparent in the early months......

1. Our offensive line will be mean and physical and dominate teams like we used to..DOLA will be back

2. Everything will be done fast, decisively, and with a sense of urgency with this team.

3. We will win games because our coaches out schemed and out coached the other side!

Take those 3 to the bank!

Point number 2 will be the hallmark of this program going forward under the new coaching staff. Nobody can
over estimate the impact of a "sense of urgency". I think this is one of the reasons Stitt got the nod. He'll be the Anti-Delaney. Believe it.........

mtgrizrule said:

No one knows anything about Prater.. he has no footage other than some high school reels from five years ago, and on HS football reels everyone looks like the next coming of Dan Marino, plus pretty basic offenses compared to college.

Does anyone predict any of the true freshman that arrive in Aug to earn a spot in the two-deep, thus not taking a red-shirt season?

IntuitiveGriz said:
Does anyone predict any of the true freshman that arrive in Aug to earn a spot in the two-deep, thus not taking a red-shirt season?

I think all of the receivers have the potential to play. The other Calhoun brother is an interesting possibility as well. Depending on the depth and injury issues on the D-line, I think Ena and Sims both have a chance to be in the mix. Hopefully everyone else will get the year to grow.

biga75 said:
Well, I guess my :twocents: makes me look like a :msugrad:

Im just playing, I will take any opportunity to post a picture of Captain America on egriz...haha....but if I had to guess I would guess Chalich

BWahlberg said:
That said good post, fun to guess what we'll be seeing as camp goes. I would say on your 5 points (just my own wild ass guesses here too)

1. Defense WONT be ahead of the offense. New system being thrown at a defense that's breaking in 3 new pass rushers and 2 new players in the secondary. Add in new DBs/CBs coaches as well. Defense's first week is a trial by fire but they lock it in as camp goes by.

Kidder played as a freshman, Peevey, Crittenden & Holmes all played in heavy rotation last year, unless I missed something. No doubt, potentially two new guys in the secondary, but only one who didn't work with the team last year. It sounds like you're saying that Ty is making changes to the scheme, am I reading that right? Or does that mean more aggressive coverage schemes, more DB's or situational substitution?

bgbigdog said:
BWahlberg said:

Kidder played as a freshman, Peevey, Crittenden & Holmes all played in heavy rotation last year, unless I missed something. No doubt, potentially two new guys in the secondary, but only one who didn't work with the team last year. It sounds like you're saying that Ty is making changes to the scheme, am I reading that right? Or does that mean more aggressive coverage schemes, more DB's or situational substitution?

Oh I agree, I'm excited for the grouping of Peevey, Kidder, and Crittenden but based on who they're replacing can you say at this point that these three are better than Wags, Takai, and Rehm? They could get there, yes for sure, but they aren't yet.

I'm no "scheme" expert so can't say that. I think Ty comes from a similar style of Paulsen's but he's made his defense more aggressive after a few years under Breske. That's just a guess though. I don't really think he'll change much - I just see that our secondary is now missing a 3 year starter at one of the most key positions (safety) and our best cover corner from last year. That's going to mean we see some adjustment early, especially if they're going to see the ball thrown at them 1,000,000 times per practice.

Latest posts

Back