• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Top 5 Camp Stories

I expect really big things from Holmes this year. Last year he was over shadowed by Wags. Watch him this year, he will command double team blocking him...

If Luke doesn't start on the OL they should move him to the DL set over center and make it his job to shove the the center on his ass every play until the OC starts flubbing snaps. Luke can shove people on their ass. Just a thought.

About time A bold statement came out and we bored silly "power guessers" on da blog can blast away at everything and anything. Shoot at it in case it moves and blow and go until sundown!

Spring practice...means we all will chip in our usual funds to assist BW in making his complicated study of our immense potential and reporting it first to us important E-Griz officers and allowing it to trickle on down to the poor....

BWahlberg said:
bgbigdog said:
BWahlberg said:
That said good post, fun to guess what we'll be seeing as camp goes. I would say on your 5 points (just my own wild ass guesses here too)

1. Defense WONT be ahead of the offense. New system being thrown at a defense that's breaking in 3 new pass rushers and 2 new players in the secondary. Add in new DBs/CBs coaches as well. Defense's first week is a trial by fire but they lock it in as camp goes by.

Kidder played as a freshman, Peevey, Crittenden & Holmes all played in heavy rotation last year, unless I missed something. No doubt, potentially two new guys in the secondary, but only one who didn't work with the team last year. It sounds like you're saying that Ty is making changes to the scheme, am I reading that right? Or does that mean more aggressive coverage schemes, more DB's or situational substitution?

Oh I agree, I'm excited for the grouping of Peevey, Kidder, and Crittenden but based on who they're replacing can you say at this point that these three are better than Wags, Takai, and Rehm? They could get there, yes for sure, but they aren't.

Am thinking that there isn't a replacement for Wags, not to slight Crittenden, because he'll give it his best. The other two may be a push, depending on how well Kidder comes back. Depth would be a huge concern, which is why I think Ena & Sims are in the mix early. We'll certainly see if anyone else steps up.

brootgrizr said:
If Luke doesn't start on the OL they should move him to the DL set over center and make it his job to shove the the center on his ass every play until the OC starts flubbing snaps. Luke can shove people on their ass. Just a thought.

I like it.. Luke and Kidder would be a force.

griz5700 said:
brootgrizr said:

I agree if we were running a 3-4 defense but I don't think we will be. I see this kids future at center.

Hammer said:
griz5700 said:
brootgrizr said:

I agree if we were running a 3-4 defense but I don't think we will be. I see this kids future at center.

I hear ya. But when you look at who is available to replace Takai, it makes you wonder. Peevey is solid but undersized and is no where near what Tonga brought to this D. Need athletic tackles in a 4-3, but damn it's nice to have a DT who can't be moved without a double team and who allows our athletic LB's to fly around.

That it will be a 6 man competition at QB rather than the 3 man competition than many people on here are predicting. A lot of speculation on the QB position on here, which is fine, but I'm not sure how much of it is based on real credible knowledge with first hand observation of how these guys operate in this type of offense.

bgbigdog said:
this group, along with the running backs, will be the strength of the offense going into week one.
Nope. There is no sign yet of a Humphrey or Reynolds in this group nor does anyone have a jet. Highly doubtful this could be viewed as a strength at this point. Replacing Canada's 3400+ yards and Van's receiving skills is very suspect.

griz5700 said:
brootgrizr said:

Most of these guys played both ways in HS. Though it may not be Luke, wouldn't surprise me if one of the currently listed O-linemen swung over to D.

Sam A. Blitz said:
That it will be a 6 man competition at QB rather than the 3 man competition than many people on here are predicting. A lot of speculation on the QB position on here, which is fine, but I'm not sure how much of it is based on real credible knowledge with first hand observation of how these guys operate in this type of offense.

Talking to coaches, or even players, is probably more reliable than first hand observation.

griz5700 said:
1. Chalich and Gustafson emerge as the top 2 QB's.

Gustafson starts this fall.

Gus has a cannon but he forces the ball too much. All the guy does is throw picks and he's not very mobile.. He'd be better off playing at Rocky.

grizcountry420 said:
griz5700 said:

Gus has a cannon but he forces the ball too much. All the guy does is throw picks and he's not very mobile.. He'd be better off playing at Rocky.

Nothing personal against the kid, but envisioning him in Stitt's offense gives me flashbacks to Roper playing under Pflu...and that's not a good thing.

grizcountry420 said:
griz5700 said:

Saw the same things with him in Hynson/Gragg/Delaney's offense. Definitely made some questionable throws. We don't know really know much about any of these QB's. But I know Gustafson can make EVERY throw (on a rope) and was successful at West. Man, who knows.

Htowngriz said:
grizcountry420 said:
griz5700 said:

Nothing personal against the kid, but envisioning him in Stitt's offense gives me flashbacks to Roper playing under Pflu...and that's not a good thing.

I think people are putting too much emphasis on needing a highly mobile QB in Stitt's offense. Passing abilities are way more important. Same misconception many had with Pflugrad's offense. Pflugrad recruited Gustafson.

reinell30 said:
I expect really big things from Holmes this year. Last year he was over shadowed by Wags. Watch him this year, he will command double team blocking him...

Yeah I agree about Holmes being the best Griz DE this year. Though no one should be surprised that Wags "over shadowed" Holmes a bit last year. Wags red-shirted and was a Griz for 5 years last season, while Holmes hadn't red-shirted and was a Griz for 3 years last season.

bgbigdog said:
BWahlberg said:
bgbigdog said:
BWahlberg said:
That said good post, fun to guess what we'll be seeing as camp goes. I would say on your 5 points (just my own wild ass guesses here too)

1. Defense WONT be ahead of the offense. New system being thrown at a defense that's breaking in 3 new pass rushers and 2 new players in the secondary. Add in new DBs/CBs coaches as well. Defense's first week is a trial by fire but they lock it in as camp goes by.

Kidder played as a freshman, Peevey, Crittenden & Holmes all played in heavy rotation last year, unless I missed something. No doubt, potentially two new guys in the secondary, but only one who didn't work with the team last year. It sounds like you're saying that Ty is making changes to the scheme, am I reading that right? Or does that mean more aggressive coverage schemes, more DB's or situational substitution?

Oh I agree, I'm excited for the grouping of Peevey, Kidder, and Crittenden but based on who they're replacing can you say at this point that these three are better than Wags, Takai, and Rehm? They could get there, yes for sure, but they aren't.

Am thinking that there isn't a replacement for Wags, not to slight Crittenden, because he'll give it his best. The other two may be a push, depending on how well Kidder comes back. Depth would be a huge concern, which is why I think Ena & Sims are in the mix early. We'll certainly see if anyone else steps up.

I agree, there isn't a replacement for Wags, Crittenden included. They both were 5th year guys last season, and Wags was better then. (They both had red-shirted, and Crittendon added another year by Grey-Shirting out of HS...he'll be a 6th year player in 2015,)

IntuitiveGriz said:
reinell30 said:

Yeah I agree about Holmes being the best Griz DE this year. Though no one should be surprised that Wags "over shadowed" Holmes a bit last year. Wags red-shirted and was a Griz for 5 years last season, while Holmes hadn't red-shirted and was a Griz for 3 years last season.

Holmes has every chance in the world to make this a great year and put him in the running for All American status. He has the size and speed, my question does he have the heart and desire?

griz5700 said:

Stiit's starters were 6'2" and under the past few years. We're gonna need someone fleet of foot to run the offense. Chalich. Simis, or Prater. Pflug as a dark horse. Gus and Weyer may be the
odd one's out.

Latest posts

Back