• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Go For Two

SoldierGriz

DONOR
Over/under on percentage of time Stitt goes for it on fourth down relative to last season?

I'll take the over.

Over/under on percentage of time Stitt goes for two relative to last season?

I'll take the over.

Thoughts?

SoldierGriz said:
Over/under on percentage of time Stitt goes for it on fourth down relative to last season?

I'll take the over.

I'll take the over.

Thoughts?

I'll take the "more-than-he-should-if-he-cared-about-special-teams".

Atlanta Griz1 said:
SoldierGriz said:

I'll take the over.

I'll take the over.

Thoughts?

Sooooo....the over? Here's a chance to talk about football. Or, do you prefer the dumpster fires on other threads?

I say go for it anytime we're in enemy territory and for short yardage in our own territory. Get that play count up and points on the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atlanta Griz1 said:
SoldierGriz said:

I'll take the over.

I'll take the over.

Thoughts?

just a thought.....going for it on 4th down.....or going for two.....doesn't mean he doesn't care about special teams....

grizindabox said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
SoldierGriz said:

I'll take the over.

I'll take the over.

Thoughts?

just a thought.....going for it on 4th down.....or going for two.....doesn't mean he doesn't care about special teams....

This. He is a Division 1 football coach; I think he has a grasp on the three phases of the game. I say this knowing we have H U G E questions ref our kicker. :lol:

But, I also think he has settled into the job, has a better feel for the players, and now has a complete cycle with his coaches. For these reasons, I think he bends the curve on analytics this season...he goes for it far more than many will be comfortable with. I also think his strategy will pay off ----with plenty of drama.

SoldierGriz said:
This. He is a Division 1 football coach; I think he has a grasp on the three phases of the game. I say this knowing we have H U G E questions ref our kicker. :lol:

But, I also think he has settled into the job, has a better feel for the players, and now has a complete cycle with his coaches. For these reasons, I think he bends the curve on analytics this season...he goes for it far more than many will be comfortable with. I also think his strategy will pay off ----with plenty of drama.

+1 :clap:

Over. I don't think any of our kickers will be anywhere near as consistent as Sullivan was and like others have stated I think he has more confidence in the system now after two years.

I hope early in the year he's a little more conservative, allowing his defense a chance to get settled in. You don't want to put them in a ton of bad situations early.

EverettGriz said:
I hope early in the year he's a little more conservative, allowing his defense a chance to get settled in. You don't want to put them in a ton of bad situations early.

It will be interesting seeing how this unfolds. Semore will be far more accustomed to Stitt's decisions than TG. I wonder how this drives his coaching. You'd think he has to over emphasize some extremes on his situation drills, putting the defense in bad positions as a matter of routine...

coaches don't go for two nearly enough. they should go for it about 90% of the time. unless deep in enemy territory I think coaches should go for it on fourth down way more as well.

Statistically speaking, you should always go for two. In addition, you should never punt and always kickoff on sides. Pedal to the metal baby.

SoldierGriz said:
grizindabox said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
SoldierGriz said:

I'll take the over.

I'll take the over.

Thoughts?

I agree with this. Plus last year, he tested the waters a bit early and had some failures. I personally think some of this was due to our smaller offensive line and the inability to get a push for two or three yards. It sounds like all of these guys are 300+ pounds now and we should be able to get those yards we need it. So my gut says he will try this more than last year

bgbigdog said:
Statistically speaking, you should always go for two. In addition, you should never punt and always kickoff on sides. Pedal to the metal baby.
The college two-point conversion chart, not the one used by the NFL.

http://www.theredzone.org/Features/TwoPointConversionChart.aspx

NFL stats: "Past statistics show that the average NFL football team makes about 98 percent of its extra points and about 40 percent of its two-point attempts. Coaches must use their experience and intuition to gauge their players' current ability level, and a chart isn't much help on that score."

So, if applicable, or at least in proportion to collegiate experience, in 100 tries, a team will "typically" score 98 points kicking, and 80 points on two point conversions.

http://flylib.com/books/en/2.480.1.68/1/

But, its the "when," not the rate that is important. The chart's purporse is to define "when." And of course, having a kicker in the first place.

http://blog.minitab.com/blog/the-statistics-game/going-for-it-on-4th-down-do-the-statistics-say-its-a-gamble

A team's success rate in red zone opportunities might be instructive in considering whether to go for two. Stitt refuses to use a tight end and has small RBs. He has yet to show he can get the ball into the endzone from the three with any consistency. I go with even a weak kicker.

kemajic said:
A team's success rate in red zone opportunities might be instructive in considering whether to go for two. Stitt refuses to use a tight end and has small RBs. He has yet to show he can get the ball into the endzone from the three with any consistency. I go with even a weak kicker.

Calhoun did just that several times in the latter part of the season. But don't let the facts get in the way of your agenda...

Latest posts

Back