• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rushing Yards

bigkid

DONOR
On Saturday we had a total of 67 yards on the ground of which most of those were on one play. They have to be able to do a better job up front or the offense will be so one dimensional it will get much easier to defend. I don't know if the blocking schemes are directed at pass blocking or what but this unit can't seem to open up any hint of a lane to run through. Brady will get killed if this continues because he is so immobile.
One thing that is positive is the receivers have bought in and block very well but using short passes to replace a running game will work for awhile.

Also when we get to 1st and goal at the 6 why not have a script for Chalich. Settling for a field goal is not going to win football games and it opens up read options, draws etc....I realize we punched it in but there is nothing wrong with a surprise one in awhile.

Go GRIZ!!

While the running game was awful, I was impressed with Jeremy Calhoun at times. He dragged some defenders and hit the hole hard when he was given a little space.

Plus we really saw how improved he is in pass protection. I remember one play specifically where he was caught behind the guards, a little out of position as a defender was coming at Brady off the edge, Jeremy made a great effort and got to the rusher just before he got to Brady. Brady held in there for a completion if I remember correctly.

I think we might see a new RB1 this coming week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. We could stand to run the ball better, but we kind of use the pass as a ball control/run game. JLM caught almost all of his passes out in the flat off a quick release by Gus. The disturbing trend was JLM's receptions really didn't amount to much after the big touchdown. His first 8 catches were for 120 yards, but the last 13 gained just 35.

Total - 120

Total - 35

Keep in mind he was catching the ball 2-5 yards behind the LOS every time

brewskis said:
While the running game was awful, I was impressed with Jeremy Calhoun at times. He dragged some defenders and hit the hole hard when he was given a little space.

Plus we really saw how improved he is in pass protection. I remember one play specifically where he was caught behind the guards, a little out of position as a defender was coming at Brady off the edge, Jeremy made a great effort and got to the rusher just before he got to Brady. Brady held in there for a completion if I remember correctly.

I'm with you, but I won't hold my breath. Stitt is very stubborn. At some point even Stitt my tire of Nguyen up the middle on first down for one. Calhoun can develop into a good RB; his pass blocking is improving; Nguyen is as good as he will ever get. We keep running zone read when everyone knows BG won't keep it and if he does he will slide for a 2 yard gain as soon as a tackler is within 10 yards. Really threatening to a defense; easy to overplay our run game. This makes it enormously difficult for our OL, which should not take all the blame for our lame rushing output.

kemajic said:
brewskis said:

I'm with you, but I won't hold my breath. Stitt is very stubborn. At some point even Stitt my tire of Nguyen up the middle on first down for one. Calhoun can develop into a good RB; his pass blocking is improving; Nguyen is as good as he will ever get. We keep running zone read when everyone knows BG won't keep it and if he does he will slide for a 2 yard gain as soon as a tackler is within 10 yards. Really threatening to a defense; easy to overplay our run game. This makes it enormously difficult for our OL, which should not take all the blame for our lame rushing output.
I like Nguyen....he plays way bigger than he is in pass coverage, and he has a habit of getting yards that he shouldn't get from time to time. However, he runs at the speed of smell...can't bounce anything outside, and has a habit of running right into our linemen's backs.

It might take him graduating for us to finally get some guys with size and speed back there taking more handoffs.

Unless there is a fundamental philosophy flip, not much is going to change. It's read option run game without options by and large. This QB isn't going to takeoff and run unless someone completely blows the assignment. And it isn't a series or two for another QB that's going to make a difference one way or the other, because the other coaches know that any replacement for Brady is a threat to run.

Calhoun busting one off was a combination of the right formation/call with good blocking. Nobody home for Poly because they were leaning toward the three receiver set to the right where Brady had some success throwing. I too would like to see more of Calhoun and Favors, and even as I mentioned before, with swing passes to the sidelines opposite the fly motion and major coverage. And if you're going to pull someone in tight to block, as was the case with Horner, why not sub in Ralston once in a while? He'd be as good as an extra linemen given his size and attitude.

Running the ball is as much attitude as anything. Stitt's offense isn't about attitude running, @ least he's being consistent.

Nguyen was not the answer last year and he is not the answer this year! Why Stitt loves him is beyond me. The O-line is still not good at blocking, they are just bigger than last year. If they could block, Brady might be able to go up the field with a pass. I say try the new O-line recruits, they can't be any worse and who knows? Calhoun will be the star running back eventually, but until he has blocking, our running game will not exist.

...if they measured passing yards...
...horizontally...
...the griz threw for over 800 yds...

... :?: ...

Low rushing yards should be expected against CP their D defends running game against triple option, they better be good at defending the run. Short passing game was our run game. JLM did get a fly sweep. Griz O worked edges to perfection.

Once edges were exploited, there were cutback lanes and QB was getting ball out quickly and RBs were great in pass protection.

CP is fast on D and "lil Jon" is not fast enough to beat any of their LBs let alone their DBs. Calhoun looks quicker getting to the hole and more powerful. Jon's first down pick up and pass protection was great.

reinell30 said:
Nguyen was not the answer last year and he is not the answer this year! Why Stitt loves him is beyond me. The O-line is still not good at blocking, they are just bigger than last year. If they could block, Brady might be able to go up the field with a pass. I say try the new O-line recruits, they can't be any worse and who knows? Calhoun will be the star running back eventually, but until he has blocking, our running game will not exist.
Yeah this line is marginally improved at best. I'm hoping that Hart and Meyer are getting some snaps, we will need them next year real bad. As well as a couple transfers, if we are planning on improving....

Here's a thought, why not throw in Lyons at RB? He's got more speed than any of our RBs, he can obviously catch the ball out of the backfield, and he runs angry. Could be a change of pace guy where we just point him towards the edge and let him loose.

brewskis said:
Here's a thought, why not throw in Lyons at RB? He's got more speed than any of our RBs, he can obviously catch the ball out of the backfield, and he runs angry. Could be a change of pace guy where we just point him towards the edge and let him loose.

Holden Ryan is the real deal and would be a horse if Stitt would give him the chance.

reinell30 said:
brewskis said:

Holden Ryan is the real deal and would be a horse if Stitt would give him the chance.
I believe that. He could be a hell of a safety as well....

Anemic

But.....the dish, dink is essentially our "run" game.

Don't think the "dink" offense is sustainable

getgrizzy said:
Good point. We could stand to run the ball better, but we kind of use the pass as a ball control/run game. JLM caught almost all of his passes out in the flat off a quick release by Gus. The disturbing trend was JLM's receptions really didn't amount to much after the big touchdown. His first 8 catches were for 120 yards, but the last 13 gained just 35.

Total - 120

Total - 35

What I noticed were two things. JLM's usual first spin move is the same direction, then he reverses. DB's or DC figured that out. DB with assignment stopped going for first move, and waited for reversal.

Cal Poly has very good coaches and coordinators on both sides of the ball.

The Nguyen Haters and Armchair Coaches Society is out in force today, I see ... as predictable as it is laughable. Reminds me of the Dan Moore Groupies Society of a few years ago. He never did do a goddamn thing but every Monday the EGriz girls were all wet legged about his latest imaginary exploits.

brewskis said:
Keep in mind he was catching the ball 2-5 yards behind the LOS every time

And Poly coaches adjusted and UM didn't just kept completing a pass for maybe yard or two average....Poly was happy to let the Griz keep going there after adjustments. Griz offensive guru didn't adapt....or if you say Brady kept throwing it the guru didn't coach him up on sidelines not to.

I have a feeling Calhoun's TD run was an adjustment and answer to Cal Poly's adjustment to McGee.

Back