• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2 Out Of 3

Jaymerz said:
grizcountry420 said:
Jaymerz said:
Please. If Gustafson doesn't over-throw receivers the entire game, including the 4th down conversion attempts, everyone on this board says the coach is a genius. Players play the game, and the truth is that Gustafson is an inconsistent passer. Until Stitt gets a more reliable passer in the QB spot, his game plan will always be at risk of outcomes like this NAU game.

Please.. Was Gus the one who gave up 45 points? I think that our defense needs to be held some what accountable for this lose, not Gus.

So it's reasonable to blame the coach but not the QB? I wasn't pinning the loss or the points on our QB, just pointing out the obvious. By no means is Gustafson to blame for the loss, but he missed key throws to open receivers in a couple key situations that turned the ball over on downs, plus an awful pass that was an INT. No fewer than 21 points for NAU can be at least indirectly attributed to those failed conversions, etc. That doesn't speak to the game plan, it speaks to poor execution. Add to that a piss poor defensive effort, and it's a bad day. I believe in Stitt's plan at this point, but the best plan can be mired down quickly by poor play.

Horner took all the blame for Gus' INT. Said he completely turned the wrong way and BG already threw it to the flat. That was the first miscommunication I've seen from the O in three games. And yes, I'm well aware that the communication starts with the QB, but receivers have to do their job too, especially in this offense.

Gus didn't play well, even if he hadn't of thrown that pick, and, as he ALWAYS does, he stood up in front of the media and said so.

"When it boils down to it, I just didn't make many throws tonight," Gustafson said. "... As a quarterback you've got to be able to put the ball where it needs to go no matter where you're playing."

putter said:
Montana's corners were exposed. JR was very rusty so I Hope he begins to settle in. Sanders looked lost and was out of position against good receivers. Nelson, we know, can get much better but who else will step up and thrive on that island?

JR was up against a beast, who caught just 4 of 14 targets to him....JR did fine. Sanders, on the other hand......whoa.

havgrizfan said:
Jaymerz said:
grizcountry420 said:
Jaymerz said:
Please. If Gustafson doesn't over-throw receivers the entire game, including the 4th down conversion attempts, everyone on this board says the coach is a genius. Players play the game, and the truth is that Gustafson is an inconsistent passer. Until Stitt gets a more reliable passer in the QB spot, his game plan will always be at risk of outcomes like this NAU game.

Please.. Was Gus the one who gave up 45 points? I think that our defense needs to be held some what accountable for this lose, not Gus.

So it's reasonable to blame the coach but not the QB? I wasn't pinning the loss or the points on our QB, just pointing out the obvious. By no means is Gustafson to blame for the loss, but he missed key throws to open receivers in a couple key situations that turned the ball over on downs, plus an awful pass that was an INT. No fewer than 21 points for NAU can be at least indirectly attributed to those failed conversions, etc. That doesn't speak to the game plan, it speaks to poor execution. Add to that a piss poor defensive effort, and it's a bad day. I believe in Stitt's plan at this point, but the best plan can be mired down quickly by poor play.

Horner took all the blame for Gus' INT. Said he completely turned the wrong way and BG already threw it to the flat. That was the first miscommunication I've seen from the O in three games. And yes, I'm well aware that the communication starts with the QB, but receivers have to do their job too, especially in this offense.

Gus didn't play well, even if he hadn't of thrown that pick, and, as he ALWAYS does, he stood up in front of the media and said so.

"When it boils down to it, I just didn't make many throws tonight," Gustafson said. "... As a quarterback you've got to be able to put the ball where it needs to go no matter where you're playing."

You make a solid point on the INT. I'm really not trying to bash on the QB, or any individual player, just trying to defend the coach a bit, and Horner's admission simply underscores my point, that some players didn't execute the way they needed to. Good post, thanks.

AZGrizFan said:
grizcountry420 said:
AZGrizFan said:
That's quite a judgement to make after 20 games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geez, how many games you gonna give him? 100?

Well, I don't have a set number in mind, but it's a f*** of a lot more than 20.

A) This team is very young.
B) Stitt has a total of TWO recruiting classes...the entire 2nd one of which is redshirting. The vast majority of the players on the field (including our QB) were recruited to run a different system.
C) We still are 4 schollies down, which juuuuust might help a tad.
D) There's lots of football to be played yet this season.....
E) Go look at Don Read's record prior to coming to Montana....he'll look at his record his first 8 years AT Montana. Even Bobby Hauck lost 4 games in his 1st and 3rd years....and he inherited the cadillac. Stitt hardly inherited a Cadillac. More like an Edsel.

More like a Ford Fairlane, I think. Sorta functional, might get you there, old school and out of date, not very cool.

PlayerRep said:
I can understand what you are saying, I sometimes have the same feelings, and you may be right. However, I think Stitt and Semore have good potential, and the players here now and coming in are of high quality. The coaches seem to know how to recruit. When they were arriving, I wondered if they would be in over their heads. I don't think they are at all. The lost schollies are coming back. Like many, I am not completely sold on the offense. When it's clicking, it's great. But it seems to be prone to inconsistency and mistake. Maybe that is still the players and their execution. Semore is young and not experienced as a DC. He has alot of good ideas and innovation. He will improve with time. A great DC is not born overnight. It takes years of experience to be able to be consistently a good DC. We saw the same thing with TG. He seemed to improve each year.

One game, either way, doesn't make a season. It's always a struggle and one game at a time. While maybe this game shows that UM isn't good enough to compete with EWU, I still like our chances and think we can compete. NAU had a very good gameplan and played very well. We shall see. That's what's nice and fun about sport.

Good post PR. The Big Sky is competitive, and that showed itself on Saturday. Thankfully we live in the world of a true playoff system, unlike the FBS, and are still very much alive and in the hunt. Looking forward to seeing if we can slow down Kupp and the EWU offense.

If you look at most losing teams they play just like we did last Saturday. Lack of blocking, poor tackling, fumbles, bad QB play, no pass rush, drop passes, poor special teams, poor coaching, bad just about everything. This can be cleaned up. A giant step would be to beat the red floored Eaglets this weekend.
I have felt coach Baldwin is the best offensive coach in the North West. No I don't want him to be a Griz coach, ever. In any event if we should win this weekend perhaps we can look up and thank the football gods, after all the Griz are our team!

Umista said:
If you look at most losing teams they play just like we did last Saturday. Lack of blocking, poor tackling, fumbles, bad QB play, no pass rush, drop passes, poor special teams, poor coaching, bad just about everything. This can be cleaned up. A giant step would be to beat the red floored Eaglets this weekend.
I have felt coach Baldwin is the best offensive coach in the North West. No I don't want him to be a Griz coach, ever. In any event if we should win this weekend perhaps we can look up and thank the football gods, after all the Griz are our team!
Baldwin's next job will be one bigger than UM.

kemajic said:
G-BEARS said:
In order to beat Eastern, we need to get a lot more pressure on the QB then we did against NAU. If Gubrud has time in the pocket, he will simply pick us apart.
It's amazing how little pressure we put on Kemp.
If I recall, NAU led the nation in sacks allowed this season. I think the number was 4 heading into this game. I was hoping the Griz could put some pressure on the 2nd string QB, but their O-line was damn impressive.

Two very solid posts, PR!

AWF, I've got two words for you regarding Coach Baldwin's condition, El Rodeo.

Jaredkuehn said:
kemajic said:
G-BEARS said:
In order to beat Eastern, we need to get a lot more pressure on the QB then we did against NAU. If Gubrud has time in the pocket, he will simply pick us apart.
It's amazing how little pressure we put on Kemp.
If I recall, NAU led the nation in sacks allowed this season. I think the number was 4 heading into this game. I was hoping the Griz could put some pressure on the 2nd string QB, but their O-line was damn impressive.

It was the difference in this game.

Jaymerz said:

He had a ton of pressure on him. Oline palyed horrible. But yes there were t least three overthrows that were TD if the pass was on. Make those and Griz win

HelenaHandBasket said:
Semore got exposed as a rookie DC and the defense struggled ...

Not sure this is accurate.

I would argue that our lack of team speed was exposed, and especially the secondary and LBs in pass coverage.

Can we at least wait until the team is mostly Stitt recruits to grab the pitchforks?

Does nobody understand the major impact of losing scholarships and the lost years of PR experiment coaching?

We may still be a year or *gasp* two away from recovering. But I would argue we are going the right direction. There have been bigger programs than UM that have suffered longer after similar problems.

GeauxGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Semore got exposed as a rookie DC and the defense struggled ...

Not sure this is accurate.

I would argue that our lack of team speed was exposed, and especially the secondary and LBs in pass coverage.

Can we at least wait until the team is mostly Stitt recruits to grab the pitchforks?

Does nobody understand the major impact of losing scholarships and the lost years of PR experiment coaching?

We may still be a year or *gasp* two away from recovering. But I would argue we are going the right direction. There have been bigger programs than UM that have suffered longer after similar problems.

I think UM has pretty good team speed on both sides of the ball. Which backers and secondary do you think are slow, or not fast?

How is it even disputable that the "defense struggled"? You want to blame most of the defensive struggle on the players? You think the DC's game plan was good and he did a good job?

I'm sure 4 more schollies would help, but I don't think that accounts for letting NAU score so many points. Which of the defensive starters do you think don't have scholarships?

Which bigger programs have struggled after "similar" problems?

I agree that UM is probably going in the right direction. I just hope it's fast enough. I know teams don't win every game, and have let downs, but losing to CP and NAU don't seem like steps in the right direction.

Like many, I thought 8-3 was about right for this year's Griz. I incorrectly picked the UNI game, but thought they'd beat either CP or NAU. I have absolutely no idea how the Griz will finish the season given their consistent inconsistency. 7-4 is not out of the question for this season. The cats will not go away quietly...

I think the Griz are a year away. There is talent in the pipeline. The biggest question mark next year is at QB - and it's a very big question. Will GJ be ready, or is Phillips the answer?

Even with this looming question, if Stitt does not propel the Griz next season...he will be on the hot seat. Period. No more excuses...not even with a "new QB."

As for this season...I'm considering the Griz underdogs going forward, and I hope they play with giant chips on their shoulders to make some noise in the playoffs. I'll enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back