• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2014-15 Mens Basketball Game Schedule

I agree Payton...great out of conference schedule for the Griz this year. A mix of challenging, but mostly winnable games (from early review)

Silvertip said:
Hmm, ALL of the attractive non-conference games are on the road...bummer

I disagree, Silvertip. Montana's road schedule is very tough & will be a challenge for this young Griz squad, but two home opponents (North Dakota State on Dec. 7th and Davidson on Dec 10th) feature tough Division 1 teams with unique styles of play, games that should be well worth the effort to go & watch.

Preseason rankings (I cite KenPom here) have Davidson ranked 139th and North Dakota State ranked 147th compared to Montana at 264. For reference: the highest Big Sky team in national ratings is Weber State at 140 (most other Big Sky teams are in the low to mid 200s).

Even South Dakota (in Missoula on Dec. 21) is ranked higher than the Griz, at 261st.

So, with a young Griz squad that I believe needs some time to jell, these early games will be tough to win. But, with a home-court advantage, could very well be a ton of fun to watch.

grizzlyjournal said:
Silvertip said:
Hmm, ALL of the attractive non-conference games are on the road...bummer

I disagree, Silvertip. Montana's road schedule is very tough & will be a challenge for this young Griz squad, but two home opponents (North Dakota State on Dec. 7th and Davidson on Dec 10th) feature tough Division 1 teams with unique styles of play, games that should be well worth the effort to go & watch.

Preseason rankings (I cite KenPom here) have Davidson ranked 139th and North Dakota State ranked 147th compared to Montana at 264. For reference: the highest Big Sky team in national ratings is Weber State at 140 (most other Big Sky teams are in the low to mid 200s).

Even South Dakota (in Missoula on Dec. 21) is ranked higher than the Griz, at 261st.

So, with a young Griz squad that I believe needs some time to jell, these early games will be tough to win. But, with a home-court advantage, could very well be a ton of fun to watch.

We are ranked only 264th? God, look how far our program has deteriorated. There were many years in the 1970s and 1980s where were were among the top 40-50 teams in the nation! Now 264th???? :?

monte is a character said:
We are ranked only 264th? God, look how far our program has deteriorated. There were many years in the 1970s and 1980s where were were among the top 40-50 teams in the nation! Now 264th???? :?

Probably should wait a while before paying attention to any rankings. Preseason rankings don't mean squat.

That said...it's difficult for a Big Sky team to get any respect (or good RPI rating) even if they are damn good. The Big Sigh is often loaded with 250+ RPI teams and one of the worst conferences in the country unfortunately. That drags the RPI down for any good Big Sky teams unfortunately.

Look at last years rankings for example. Only 2 Big Sky teams in the top 200 (Weber and Montana).

In fact in the past 4 seasons only 3 teams have finished in the top 200 besides Weber and Montana. PSU (185) did once, NAU (158) once, and UNC (137) once.

Only 2 teams besides Montana and Weber have finished in the top 100 in the past 10 years. PSU did it once (#83) and UNC did it I think...#99...but RealTimeRPI.com is a bit shaky lately & has some errors.

Closest to top 50 was Montana in 2005-2006 in the 60s range.

This conference drags good teams down unfortunately :(

I know it is early for next season, but I thought I read something about the Griz playing at KU next year. Anyone have info on that? I've google searched and been unable to find anything. I live near KC so would make the trip!

AZDoc said:
I know it is early for next season, but I thought I read something about the Griz playing at KU next year. Anyone have info on that? I've google searched and been unable to find anything. I live near KC so would make the trip!

https://twitter.com/BobMeseroll/status/568607768975794176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was announced, the GRIZ will be playing at Washingtong, Kansas, and Gonzaga. :thumb:
User Actions
Follow

Bob Meseroll
‏@BobMeseroll
Griz have Kansas, Gonzaga and Washington on hoops sked next season. #BigSkyMBB

Back