• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 Recruit Update

maroonandsilver said:
Maynardsgametrail said:
Hey look! Another guard!

Look who returns next year. A guard, especially a point guard, is an essential addition.

Yeah, I suppose you have a good point. I forgot about Dunn providing depth this season as a senior.

Graduating Wright, Dunn, Gfeller and Lopez. This appears to be the last of the Tinkle recruits minus Wright.

Guards for next year:
Rorie, Oguine, Pridgett, Spoja, Falls, Olsen (If he accepts). No Seniors

Dorsey and Moorehead are listed as guards as well.

Once we get the depth and much needed length at forward and Center in the lineup, I believe the next 2-3 seasons could be special.

The guard play is established, but when you add in Dorsey 6'7" (probably more of a forward roll), Akoh 6'8", Anderson 6'6", Kramer 6'10", Nicholas 6'7" with Krslovic things are looking up pretty damn good for next year.

Maynardsgametrail said:
maroonandsilver said:
Maynardsgametrail said:
Hey look! Another guard!

Look who returns next year. A guard, especially a point guard, is an essential addition.

Yeah, I suppose you have a good point. I forgot about Dunn providing depth this season as a senior.

Graduating Wright, Dunn, Gfeller and Lopez. This appears to be the last of the Tinkle recruits minus Wright.

Guards for next year:

Once we get the depth and much needed length at forward and Center in the lineup, I believe the next 2-3 seasons could be special.

The guard play is established, but when you add in Dorsey 6'7" (probably more of a forward roll), Akoh 6'8", Anderson 6'6", Kramer 6'10", Nicholas 6'7" with Krslovic things are looking up pretty damn good for next year.

Gotta be able to cover the Halls, Blaznyuks and Sanders of the conference. With the exception of possibly Pridgett none of next year's guards is big enough to cover any of those three.

Mousegriz said:
Maynardsgametrail said:
maroonandsilver said:
Maynardsgametrail said:
Hey look! Another guard!

Guards for next year:

Gotta be able to cover the Halls, Blaznyuks and Sanders of the conference. With the exception of possibly Pridgett none of next year's guards is big enough to cover any of those three.

What about Dorsey?

Mousegriz said:
Maynardsgametrail said:
maroonandsilver said:
Maynardsgametrail said:
Hey look! Another guard!

Guards for next year:

Oguine was very effective against Hall last year. Lucky for us they will be matched up against each other from here on out.

As for Bliznyuk, the griz have had decent success limiting (Oguine and Krslovic) him as well; except for last game of course. Whatever WW and AR did was the reason for Bliznyuk having a stellar game (and Krslovic fouling out).......No depth whatsoever.

Sanders seems to have our number; especially in Dahlberg area. That kid plays with some fire.

Alphonso injured his knee his senior year but continued to play. He had it operated on after the season. He then had it "cleaned up" this Fall, so that delayed his first year but he expected to be playing by January. He then had it tweaked by a surgeon over Christmas so he is slowly getting back to normal. Each time he assumes that his knee is ready to go - hope that such is the case.

The good news is that he was able to recuperate back home in Washington over the Christmas break and spend some quality time with his family.

The above is my very rough report based on several quick conversations with him. If you have the chance, introduce yourself and ask him about the knee. He is a very confident young man who expresses himself very well with a great twinkle in the eye. He's a keeper - and I understand a very good student.

Mousegriz said:
Maynardsgametrail said:
maroonandsilver said:
Maynardsgametrail said:
Hey look! Another guard!

Guards for next year:

37 for Hall.......over 25 for both Blaznyuk and Sanders last time we played them. Who's going to cover them next year......I've only seen Dorsey on the bench in street clothes and he doesn't look like he can cover guards like this. Is it just me or do other teams also have talent? Why are the next 2 - 3 years going to be so special when we're a 6th place in the might Big Sky heading into a couple tough games in the final weekend. I've not seen any of the transfers, redshirts or incoming recruits. I'm assuming many of the "talent" lovers on this board haven't either but maybe I'm wrong.

Mousegriz said:
Mousegriz said:
Maynardsgametrail said:
maroonandsilver said:

Guards for next year:

37 for Hall.......over 25 for both Blaznyuk and Sanders last time we played them. Who's going to cover them next year......I've only seen Dorsey on the bench in street clothes and he doesn't look like he can cover guards like this. Is it just me or do other teams also have talent? Why are the next 2 - 3 years going to be so special when we're a 6th place in the might Big Sky heading into a couple tough games in the final weekend. I've not seen any of the transfers, redshirts or incoming recruits. I'm assuming many of the "talent" lovers on this board haven't either but maybe I'm wrong.
You've "only seen Dorsey on the bench in street clothes" and somehow, from that you know he can't cover guards like Sanders, etc. Wow! :eek: Perhaps you should take a look at Dorsey's background. I think you may feel a little better after that. Additionally, I think the athleticism of Alphonso Anderson will help cover "guards like this" pretty well. Also having much larger and numerous bigs next year to contest the opposition's driving guards will help.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/niko_bevens21/status/836398911749242881[/tweet]

In 27 games for North Idaho JC this year, Bevens made 107-of-214 treys, and averaged just under 15 points pg with an average of 25 1/2 minutes per game. He'll be a sophomore in 2017-18.

Barring injury or some unexpected roster change, next year's Griz, on paper, look to be one of the deepest teams (as in 2+ depth at every position) I've seen since the early 90s.

grizzlyjournal said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/niko_bevens21/status/836398911749242881[/tweet]

In 27 games for North Idaho JC this year, Bevens made 107-of-214 treys, and averaged just under 15 points pg with an average of 25 1/2 minutes per game. He'll be a sophomore in 2017-18.

Barring injury or some unexpected roster change, next year's Griz, on paper, look to be one of the deepest teams (as in 2+ depth at every position) I've seen since the early 90s.

This a great news! An outstanding 3-point shooter is just what we need. Next year's roster looks like it will be a lotta fun!

GrizWhiz said:
Mousegriz said:
Mousegriz said:
Maynardsgametrail said:

Guards for next year:

You've "only seen Dorsey on the bench in street clothes" and somehow, from that you know he can't cover guards like Sanders, etc. Wow! :eek: Perhaps you should take a look at Dorsey's background. I think you may feel a little better after that. Additionally, I think the athleticism of Alphonso Anderson will help cover "guards like this" pretty well. Also having much larger and numerous bigs next year to contest the opposition's driving guards will help.

Sounds like you've seen all the transfers and new recruits play live Griz Whiz. I haven't so you've got that advantage. Dorsey (and Anderson) in street clothes on the bench appear to be 2 of the "bigs" everyone is gushing about next for year. Only one other guy on the bench in street clothes and Akoh appears a true 4. Anderson and Dorsey look like "3/4" players. The "guards like that" I mention are all "2" guards, I believe.

Wonder if other teams in the conference are recruiting any other "talent" to compete against the "something special" Griz in the next 2 - 3 years? They've competed pretty well against all but the
"three in street clothes on the bench" this year. But Griz Whiz has "taken a look at their backgrounds" so I guess I feel a little better.

Mousegriz said:
GrizWhiz said:
Mousegriz said:
Mousegriz said:

Sounds like you've seen all the transfers and new recruits play live Griz Whiz. I haven't so you've got that advantage. Dorsey (and Anderson) in street clothes on the bench appear to be 2 of the "bigs" everyone is gushing about next for year. Only one other guy on the bench in street clothes and Akoh appears a true 4. Anderson and Dorsey look like "3/4" players. The "guards like that" I mention are all "2" guards, I believe.

Wonder if other teams in the conference are recruiting any other "talent" to compete against the "something special" Griz in the next 2 - 3 years? They've competed pretty well against all but the
"three in street clothes on the bench" this year. But Griz Whiz has "taken a look at their backgrounds" so I guess I feel a little better.
as long as you "feel a little better." that's what's important! :thumb:

Griz recruit Tim Falls leads Dublin, CA high school team; they advance into the championship of the California North Coast Division I Section. Good story, with a post-game video interview of Mr. Falls. Good stuff!

From the East Bay Times: "Tim Falls sank two free throws with 8.8 seconds left to clinch a 60-56 victory that sends top-seeded Dublin to Saint Mary’s College on Friday night for the North Coast Section Division I final."

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/03/01/ncs-basketball-dublin-edges-logan-will-play-de-la-salle-for-title/

Back