• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2018 Griz Football Recruiting 22 Signed/Transfers, 7 Walk-ons & 4 Offers

Sam A. Blitz said:
dayday said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
We need some OT help. Much more than the CB position that everyone is concerned about. Hoping we will sign a transfer or 2. Most of our OL depth are more interior type guys.

We probably have enough OL depth. Not ideal. I think the major issue is how green and unproven everyone is besides Villanueva. That problem is compounded by the unknown return of Jackson who had surgery on his hip. Beaver and Stoner are going to have to step up at those tackle positions this Spring. So I agree an experienced transfer would definitely be a major help. Corner is similar probably will have bodies there but what do really we have? Nash and Cowans are young and have limited snaps. Egbo has barely any snaps at corner. The big sky has some teams that really can pass the ball. So one transfer there is almost a must whether FBS or juco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the 2 deep at OT? Beaver and Jackson are the only 2 with some experience at OT. Jackson won't play this Spring. Who are the backups? Hopefully some of the young guys can step up, but most of the OL on the roster are natural guards. It takes a different kind of athlete to effectively play OT. Just my opinion, but OT is the biggest concern going into this spring.

I disagree and agree. I disagree we only have guards after Beaver and Jackson. I agree that the ones can play tackle will be super green. Like zero experience. Here are a list of players that can play tackle: Payton Stoner, Skylar Martin, Colton Keintz, then Brandon Scott and Ashton Torres could play tackle or guard. More versatile. Guard is probably better for Scott but Torres has some great feet from what I hear so he could be okay there.

dayday said:
Putney to the Cats. The secondary in their class is looking real nice.

UPDATE:

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1025035236332122112

Well that didn't last long...

Recall this is Ahmaad Rorie’s cousin that was rumored at one point to be coming to the griz.

Long received an offer from ASU. Not a tough choice.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-state/Article/Sun-Devils-offer-two-Southern-California-offensive-linemen-114049664/

HookedonGriz said:
Those are huge hits. Putney was their top recruit and long was a big one too
Sorry not sorry, I find this hilarious.
Remember how pumped the cats were when this class graded out so high? Maybe we should demand a recount.
I think this happens to the cats more than any other team. I bet most of the cat freshmen washouts thought they were signing up for the “other” MT school and then they arrive and think, “huh, this shithole is nothing like the pictures on the Internet...where’s all the green grass?...where’s any grass?... F’ this place; I’m outta here.”

kemajic said:

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-state/Article/Sun-Devils-offer-two-Southern-California-offensive-linemen-114049664/

Surely he double-clutched a little bit right? Hard to pass up an engineers ed. program to sit the bench for Edwards for four years. Assuming Herm lasts that long. No loss.

kemajic said:

That’s from January then he picked MSU so not sure if he is actually going to Arizona State now. He likely will have to sit now wherever he goes unless he goes juco because of the NLI. MSU could have released him from it though and either way just would work as a redshirt year if he goes NCAA.

ChesterGriz said:
Anyone know what became of the 4 remaining offers (Stitt) on the list?

Pliska’s Bio says he is an offensive guard for UW.
Jarrick Caldwell’s twitter says he’s at ASU.
Steve Mcintosh’s Twitter says he’s playing at Cal.

Can’t find the other one.

AZGrizFan said:
ChesterGriz said:
Anyone know what became of the 4 remaining offers (Stitt) on the list?

Pliska’s Bio says he is an offensive guard for UW.
Jarrick Caldwell’s twitter says he’s at ASU.
Steve Mcintosh’s Twitter says he’s playing at Cal.

Can’t find the other one.
Thanks.

dayday said:
kemajic said:

That’s from January then he picked MSU so not sure if he is actually going to Arizona State now. He likely will have to sit now wherever he goes unless he goes juco because of the NLI. MSU could have released him from it though and either way just would work as a redshirt year if he goes NCAA.

Per Choate interview, Long going to JC in Cali due to “homesickness” he will have to sit out a year as he was enrolled in summer classes. Putney had a hiccup with the clearinghouse. May or may not make it back.

wbtfg said:
dayday said:
kemajic said:

Per Choate interview, Long going to JC in Cali due to “homesickness” he will have to sit out a year as he was enrolled in summer classes. Putney had a hiccup with the clearinghouse. May or may not make it back.

More than a hiccup is my understanding. He’s not eligible.

garizzalies said:
HookedonGriz said:
Remember how pumped the cats were when this class graded out so high? Maybe we should demand a recount.
I think this happens to the cats more than any other team. I bet most of the cat freshmen washouts thought they were signing up for the “other” MT school and then they arrive and think, “huh, this shithole is nothing like the pictures on the Internet...where’s all the green grass?...where’s any grass?... F’ this place; I’m outta here.”

Other common questions overheard by cat recruits:

What's that smell?

Why is the water so brown?

If I touch that railing will I need a tetanus shot?

What if I don't want my picture on the side of a honey bucket?

There will be skinny girls enrolling in the fall?

How do I beat the sky, with a long pole?

Ursa Major said:
garizzalies said:
HookedonGriz said:

Other common questions overheard by cat recruits:

What's that smell?

Why is the water so brown?

If I touch that railing will I need a tetanus shot?

What if I don't want my picture on the side of a honey bucket?

There will be skinny girls enrolling in the fall?

How do I beat the sky, with a long pole?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Alaska Griz said:
AZGrizFan said:
garizzalies said:
AZGrizFan said:
I just hope he (BH) sees the light and gets him on the field as a safety. :thumb:
“Sadly”? “Sees the light”?
What is your basis for these comments?

I think we'd be wasting him on the sidelines if we're saving him for QB (given that the position is filled for the next three years). I believe his skillset is better utilized on the defensive side of the ball and would get him on the field much sooner. I thought that was pretty clear...

QB position is far from crowded. Graves will get a good opportunity. And sorry, but saying the QB position is filled for the next three years is kind of a dumb statement that completely rules out any chance of competition, temporary or career-ending injury, and whatever else. If you watch any amount of football you know that's foolish thinking. Hell, the Eagles just won the Super Bowl because of a great backup QB. Compare that to the Raiders last year who lost their starting qb and had no shot after that. Jensen did not make it through last season without injury. Also, are you sure there won't be just as much competition at linebacker and safety? There are no guarantees either way.

For what it's worth, I don't care what position he plays. If he moves to linebacker, great. Safety, great. I've seen him play live multiple times, have followed his career and I think he has the tools to make an awesome qb, physically AND mentally. Not hard for me to see why Bobby wants him there.
I agree, he can play QB at this level. He has the “it factor” that it takes to be a winner. His high school coach says his work ethic and leadership are like nothing he’s ever seen. For what that’s worth. I like the idea of a small town Montana boy leading us back to glory! Go Griz

Back