• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2018 Recruiting (Preview)

IntuitiveGriz said:
bgbigdog said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
bgbigdog said:
I believe some of the offensive difficulties experienced last season had to do with Stitt's devotion to the "roles" each of the receivers played. In year one, he adapted to what he had and used a guy like Roberts in place of the JLM role of this past season.

Imagine having four "burners" on the field @ once, every once in a while, just to shake things up. Getting separation was a huge problem @ times and some of it is strategy, some of it was ability to get it. Why not be a little less predictable as long as you have a perceived embarrassment of riches.

Who are the four "burners"?

Toure, Akem, JLM, Calhoun, Nagler, Corbin - take your pick. You also have a Taylor, Curran, Eaton to choose from. I think you could find four "burners" from this group and anyone else I may have missed off the top of my head.

I'll hang up now and wait for the T & F stats guys or the video speed analysis crowd to weigh in on how wrong I am.

Speaking for myself, I was just wondering who you considered "burners".

NFL combine was disappointed with Kooper Kupp's 4.62 and 4.66 40 yd sprint.

Kendrick Bourne, also had slow WR 40's, running 4.68 and 4.71.

Great speed is a nice dimension to have. However, some guys maintain speed in pads and others don't. There is a huge difference in running fast without pads, verses with pads. Hell, Jerry Rice was knocked for his 40 time going into the league, but with pads on, very few defenders could stay with him. How often do skill position players run straight for 40 yards, compared to how often they cut, spin, shift, etc? How often did Kupp make defenders look silly in his college career? He gets and maintains speed well in pads. Why don't NFL evaluators test these guys in pads? How many players lose dramatic speed in pads? There is so much more to skill positions than straight ahead speed and quickness.

coaches three priorities in s receiver, each priority is dependent on the previous....1. great routes to get open 2. being able to catch the darn football 3. run after the catch..... I think jerry rice ran high 4.6 and we all know he is in the hall of fame.

IntuitiveGriz said:
bgbigdog said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
bgbigdog said:
I believe some of the offensive difficulties experienced last season had to do with Stitt's devotion to the "roles" each of the receivers played. In year one, he adapted to what he had and used a guy like Roberts in place of the JLM role of this past season.

Imagine having four "burners" on the field @ once, every once in a while, just to shake things up. Getting separation was a huge problem @ times and some of it is strategy, some of it was ability to get it. Why not be a little less predictable as long as you have a perceived embarrassment of riches.

Who are the four "burners"?

Toure, Akem, JLM, Calhoun, Nagler, Corbin - take your pick. You also have a Taylor, Curran, Eaton to choose from. I think you could find four "burners" from this group and anyone else I may have missed off the top of my head.

I'll hang up now and wait for the T & F stats guys or the video speed analysis crowd to weigh in on how wrong I am.

Speaking for myself, I was just wondering who you considered "burners".

NFL combine was disappointed with Kooper Kupp's 4.62 and 4.66 40 yd sprint.

Kendrick Bourne, also had slow WR 40's, running 4.68 and 4.71.

Go back & look @ the aggregate stats, you'll see the average combine 40 for the WR class was in the 4.5 range. So that said, the combine isn't the BSC, & didn't seem to me like Bourne or Kupp had much trouble running by an FCS defender when needed. What does this all mean? In order, (1) WTF cares about 40 times @ the underwear olympics, it isn't the BSC, (2) my suggestion was about Stitt deviating from the norm from time to time since more than one of his starters had trouble getting separation in single coverage - four guys who can run a little might put more pressure on the defense & produce a big play or two @ times. Or he could continue feast or famine strategy thing, hope a defender messes up or falls down - you know, like that stellar performance from November vs. state ag.

krammer said:
coaches three priorities in s receiver, each priority is dependent on the previous....1. great routes to get open 2. being able to catch the darn football 3. run after the catch..... I think jerry rice ran high 4.6 and we all know he is in the hall of fame.
Watching Nick Germer's film shows how he really fits that bill....Mitch Roberts is another one that I think will develop into a damn good receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back