• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

3/21 practice report

grizatwork said:
Brint,
Out of curiosity, how would you describe the tone of practice? The first year seemed pretty laid back and almost the anti-hauck approach. Last year you described a more intense, attention to detail type of atomosphere. Where would you put this year? How are the new coaches assimilating?

Day 1 was fun, I would say. Not a ton of pissed off guys or hot emotions, just some good hard play and lots of joking. There wasn't a loss of focus or lazy actions though, guys were still sprinting on and off the field, etc.

Day 2 on wednesday you could feel the instensity ramp up a bit, the guys seemed to really get dialed in especially in the last 11on11 drills. I'm expecting the same today.

Overall the "tone" is probably similar to last years spring camp. The two new coaches Burtnett and Rosenbach are both vocal guys (more vocal than Smith for sure, Burtnett as I see him interact with guys is very similar to Delaney was). Rosy actually seems to have brought a little more fire and attitude to the offense.

spsyk said:
WaGriz4life said:
Mitch Saylor is going to be a big time receiver, a go-to-guy we haven't had since Mariani

That don't say much for Sambrano ???

Thanks Brint good analysis .
Terrible comparison. Sambrano was more of a homerun threat guy than a go-to-guy. Sambrano only had 36 catches last year, which is the same as Gratton and Moutra had. Mariani had 80 catches his Senior year. I think Saylor will develop into a guy that has that big of a role in the offense. A guy you HAVE to throw the ball to.

WaGriz4life said:
spsyk said:
WaGriz4life said:
Mitch Saylor is going to be a big time receiver, a go-to-guy we haven't had since Mariani

Terrible comparison. Sambrano was more of a homerun threat guy than a go-to-guy. Sambrano only had 36 catches last year, which is the same as Gratton and Moutra had. Mariani had 80 catches his Senior year. I think Saylor will develop into a guy that has that big of a role in the offense. A guy you HAVE to throw the ball to.

Sambrano caught the one ball we really needed him to catch.

mcg said:
WaGriz4life said:
spsyk said:
WaGriz4life said:

Sambrano was a good receiver buthe didn't have a go to guy role like MM80

WaGriz4life said:
mcg said:
WaGriz4life said:
spsyk said:

Sambrano was a good receiver buthe didn't have a go to guy role like MM80

No way to prove it but I do wonder how Jabin's season would've been under Hauck/Phen's system and not in Pflu's spread run first offense.

Comparing Jabin and Marc's senior years are tough to do for many reasons. Marc had an experienced upper-classmen QB, Jabin had a true sophomore who was hurt half the season. Marc's 2009 season had just him as the go-to option (Chase was the #2 receiver), Jabin's 2011 season featured other options as you pointed out in Moutra and Gratton. And, of course, two very different offenses and styles of play, IMO.

mcg said:
WaGriz4life said:
spsyk said:
WaGriz4life said:

That he did, and it was a thing of beauty! For a brief moment, Jabin did own Missoula! :thumb:

I've watched a ton of Griz highlights over the years, and there isn't one I've watched more than that one! The wheel route from Cole to Chase, in the 2008 semi's at JMU is a close second!

Don't believe that I was comparing Sambrano to Saylor, just that maybe Sambrano was being overlook, after all was he not the "go to guy" for the 2011 season.

Not to say that Saylor won't be the "go to guy", just saying he has not done very much thus far, and Sambrano has done a lot.

One more thing, trying to compare Saylor to Mariani, at this point is just fantasy, let's let Saylor play a game or two, to come to that conclusion.

Isn't a "home run threat" kind of the same as a "go to guy" ? or perhaps I am missing something and need to be advised.

Grizo406 said:
mcg said:
WaGriz4life said:
spsyk said:

That he did, and it was a thing of beauty! For a brief moment, Jabin did own Missoula! :thumb:

I've watched a ton of Griz highlights over the years, and there isn't one I've watched more than that one! The wheel route from Cole to Chase, in the 2008 semi's at JMU is a close second!

I'm right there with you on those two, and I'll add the goaline stand our D made against the shittys in the throwbacks after they got a first and goal on the one yard line on like the 3rd play of the game and also Biermann running down the kitty reciever in bozeman. And who could forget Tuff Harris's Outhouse to the Penthouse interception against Sam Houston!

Sambrano was UM's main deep threat guy. Maybe not go-to, certainly not like Mariani, but still a very important receiver. He was the fastest receiver and probably the fastest player on the team. He had many more yards per catch (17.6) than the other receivers (under 13), and he had 10 TD's, compared to 3 each by Gratton and Moutra. He made some big plays/catches during his career. See below stats.

Jabin Sambrano 14 36 632 17.6 10 80 45.1
Sam Gratton 14 36 465 12.9 3 45 33.2
Antwon Moutra 14 36 459 12.8 3 42 32.8

Back