• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

All but one conference profitable after CFP playoff

PlayerRep said:
get'em_griz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
Wait!!!! WHAT?!?!?! We've been told all along by those "in the know" (cough, cough) that there's no additional revenue at the FBS level. Certainly those people can't be wrong! They know everything. Just ask em.

Damn. If Boise would just move to a Big 5 like they should......

Are you saying that an extra $1.67 million in one year would cover the $5 million per year of operating expenses (in a study done 4 or 5 years ago, when expenses were lower), plus additional and upgraded facilities, that it would cost to move up? Your math has always been a problem.

I'd say we've already got the upgraded facilities that are coming in the next few years covered.

Yes, good progress on facilities, but what about facilities for other new sports, an indoor practice facility, upgrades to or expansion of football stadium, etc.? Indoor practice facilities are very helpful for northern tier/cold weather schools. Also, UM's recent fund-raising for facilities has probably tapped out a number of the bigger donors, and not hiring Hauck has probably cut off a few funding sources, at least for awhile.

Washington-Grizzly is as big or bigger than some MW football stadiums. I think Reno and USU are fairly close in size.. maybe SJSU too.

Montana has higher attendance than EVERY D-II school, EVERY FCS school, and the following FOURTY SIX FBS schools:

Akron
Appalachain State
Arkansas State
Ball State
Bowling Green
Buffalo
Central Michigan
Colorado State
Duke
Eastern Michigan
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
Houston
Idaho
Kent State
La-Lafayette
La-Monroe
Louisiana Tech
Marshall
U-Mass
Miami of Ohio
Middle Tennessee State
Nevada
New Mexico
New Mexico State
North Texas
Northern Illinois
Ohio
Old Dominion
Rice
San Jose State
SMU
South Alabama
Southern Miss
Temple
Texas State
Toledo
Troy
Tulane
Tulsa
UAB
UNLV
Utah State
Western Kentucky
Western Michigan
Wyoming

True, AZ but if Montana starts going 6-6 or 5-7 how long will that attendance stay? Missoula does not support the UofM, most of it comes from outside and will those people still travel to support those teams once the novelty of the FBS wears off?

Putter....why do you think we would be 6-6 or 5-6? The answer is yes. People would come to see the Griz play schools that someone has heard of for a change. Not to mention, see better competition than Northern Colorado.

PlayerRep said:
get'em_griz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
Wait!!!! WHAT?!?!?! We've been told all along by those "in the know" (cough, cough) that there's no additional revenue at the FBS level. Certainly those people can't be wrong! They know everything. Just ask em.

Damn. If Boise would just move to a Big 5 like they should......

Are you saying that an extra $1.67 million in one year would cover the $5 million per year of operating expenses (in a study done 4 or 5 years ago, when expenses were lower), plus additional and upgraded facilities, that it would cost to move up? Your math has always been a problem.

I'd say we've already got the upgraded facilities that are coming in the next few years covered.

Yes, good progress on facilities, but what about facilities for other new sports, an indoor practice facility, upgrades to or expansion of football stadium, etc.? Indoor practice facilities are very helpful for northern tier/cold weather schools. Also, UM's recent fund-raising for facilities has probably tapped out a number of the bigger donors, and not hiring Hauck has probably cut off a few funding sources, at least for awhile.

An indoor practice facility is already planned.

And obviously you aren't as connected as you like to believe. Donations to athletics are at an all-time high. Did we lose a few pockets by not hiring Hauck? Likely. But we almost certainly would have lost more by hiring him. And if we lose a few but are still getting an all-time high in donations, I'd say it's a good trade.

putter said:
True, AZ but if Montana starts going 6-6 or 5-7 how long will that attendance stay? Missoula does not support the UofM, most of it comes from outside and will those people still travel to support those teams once the novelty of the FBS wears off?
To see BSU, USU, Wyoming, CSU, UNR, UNM instead of No. Co, So Utah, N. Dak, Port. St, Sac. St? That's not even a tough question; my round trip is 650 mi. And we could and would get to more road games.

AZGrizFan said:
And not hiring Hauck opened up my pocket book. I'm sure there are other much bigger donors than me who felt the same.
A chance to move into the MW would certainly open my pocket book. But I don't see it in the cards.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
get'em_griz said:
PlayerRep said:

We just built a brand new women's softball facility. We will very soon have a world-class academic center. We are a go for the world-class locker rooms, weight rooms and training rooms. I have it on very good authority that the next thing in the hopper is an indoor practice facility.

Why would we need to add onto the stadium? We'd be middle of the pack in attendance ALREADY in the MWC.

2013:

Fresno St: 36,917
Boise St: 34,366
San Diego St: 33,224
Air Force: 32,652
Hawaii: 30,989
Montana: 25,552 (Regular Season)
Nevada: 24,939
New Mexico: 23,537
Utah St: 23,263
Wyoming: 19,476
Colorado St: 18,600
UNLV: 17,212
San Jose St: 16,362

And not hiring Hauck opened up my pocket book. I'm sure there are other much bigger donors than me who felt the same.

The academic center and weight/locker rooms are far from "world class". Not even close for academic center. The Performance Center will be nice, but not world class. The stadium is in significant need of upgrading and desperately needs a real press box. It will soon need new turf. Additional seating is for additional revenue from tickets. Most teams that move up need additional revenue from tickets to fund the move-up. As for big donors, I'd talking about donors capable of putting up $1-5 million.

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
get'em_griz said:
PlayerRep said:

And obviously you aren't as connected as you like to believe. Donations to athletics are at an all-time high. Did we lose a few pockets by not hiring Hauck? Likely. But we almost certainly would have lost more by hiring him. And if we lose a few but are still getting an all-time high in donations, I'd say it's a good trade.

There is no way that UM gained more than it lost by not hiring Hauck. You don't even know who the big potential donors are.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
get'em_griz said:

We just built a brand new women's softball facility. We will very soon have a world-class academic center. We are a go for the world-class locker rooms, weight rooms and training rooms. I have it on very good authority that the next thing in the hopper is an indoor practice facility.

Why would we need to add onto the stadium? We'd be middle of the pack in attendance ALREADY in the MWC.

2013:

Fresno St: 36,917
Boise St: 34,366
San Diego St: 33,224
Air Force: 32,652
Hawaii: 30,989
Montana: 25,552 (Regular Season)
Nevada: 24,939
New Mexico: 23,537
Utah St: 23,263
Wyoming: 19,476
Colorado St: 18,600
UNLV: 17,212
San Jose St: 16,362

The academic center and weight/locker rooms are far from "world class". Not even close for academic center. The Performance Center will be nice, but not world class. The stadium is in significant need of upgrading and desperately needs a real press box. It will soon need new turf. Additional seating is for additional revenue from tickets. Most teams that move up need additional revenue from tickets to fund the move-up. As for big donors, I'd talking about donors capable of putting up $1-5 million.

hy-per-bo-le: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally ;)

And I've got the $1 end of your donation spectrum covered...

kemajic said:
putter said:
To see BSU, USU, Wyoming, CSU, UNR, UNM instead of No. Co, So Utah, N. Dak, Port. St, Sac. St? That's not even a tough question; my round trip is 650 mi. And we could and would get to more road games.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
A chance to move into the MW would certainly open my pocket book. But I don't see it in the cards.

I would buy season tickets FROM TEXAS and make every home game.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
putter said:

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

I would buy season tickets FROM TEXAS and make every home game.

I would love to see us playing in the MWC..

:clap:

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
get'em_griz said:

There is no way that UM gained more than it lost by not hiring Hauck. You don't even know who the big potential donors are.

:roll:

Don't make me have to post photos of Mountain West stadiums and compare those to Big Sky stadiums again... it'll make it easy to see where Montana actually belongs. :coffee:

get'em_griz said:
Don't make me have to post photos of Mountain West stadiums and compare those to Big Sky stadiums again... it'll make it easy to see where Montana actually belongs. :coffee:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumb: :thumb:

Just for S&Gs, let's try a couple.

Is this:

Washington-Grizzly-Stadium2.jpg

more closely related to these:

Nottingham_Field.jpg

Big-Sky_Weber_State__Stewart_Stadium__1600x1200.jpg

or more closely related to these:

university13_top.jpg

bulldog14_top.jpg

Remember this does not include tv money or ncaa bb credits . This is only from the cfb playoffs. Player acts like that is the inly source of revenue

billings_poke said:
Remember this does not include tv money or ncaa bb credits . This is only from the cfb playoffs. Player acts like that is the inly source of revenue

$29 million last year. Boise got $3.7. Three teams didn't get full shares yet.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/06/05/3219686/6-50-1-liney.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back