• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

All but one conference profitable after CFP playoff

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
Yes, good progress on facilities, but what about facilities for other new sports, an indoor practice facility, upgrades to or expansion of football stadium, etc.? Indoor practice facilities are very helpful for northern tier/cold weather schools. Also, UM's recent fund-raising for facilities has probably tapped out a number of the bigger donors, and not hiring Hauck has probably cut off a few funding sources, at least for awhile.

We just built a brand new women's softball facility. We will very soon have a world-class academic center. We are a go for the world-class locker rooms, weight rooms and training rooms. I have it on very good authority that the next thing in the hopper is an indoor practice facility.

Why would we need to add onto the stadium? We'd be middle of the pack in attendance ALREADY in the MWC.

2013:

Fresno St: 36,917
Boise St: 34,366
San Diego St: 33,224
Air Force: 32,652
Hawaii: 30,989
Montana: 25,552 (Regular Season)
Nevada: 24,939
New Mexico: 23,537
Utah St: 23,263
Wyoming: 19,476
Colorado St: 18,600
UNLV: 17,212
San Jose St: 16,362

And not hiring Hauck opened up my pocket book. I'm sure there are other much bigger donors than me who felt the same.

The academic center and weight/locker rooms are far from "world class". Not even close for academic center. The Performance Center will be nice, but not world class. The stadium is in significant need of upgrading and desperately needs a real press box. It will soon need new turf. Additional seating is for additional revenue from tickets. Most teams that move up need additional revenue from tickets to fund the move-up. As for big donors, I'd talking about donors capable of putting up $1-5 million.

hy-per-bo-le: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally ;)

And I've got the $1 end of your donation spectrum covered...

By comparison, all statements of mine are completely true.

It has so many applications and it's kinda like the chewbaca defense but more believable.
It's like saying, "you don't even know where Bigfoot lives."

What has to happen before UM could get an invitation to join the MWC? What would UM have to do, what would make the MWC extend an invitation? Not meant to be a trick question or a set up for some smartassed slam, just an honest question.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
We just built a brand new women's softball facility. We will very soon have a world-class academic center. We are a go for the world-class locker rooms, weight rooms and training rooms. I have it on very good authority that the next thing in the hopper is an indoor practice facility.

Why would we need to add onto the stadium? We'd be middle of the pack in attendance ALREADY in the MWC.

2013:

Fresno St: 36,917
Boise St: 34,366
San Diego St: 33,224
Air Force: 32,652
Hawaii: 30,989
Montana: 25,552 (Regular Season)
Nevada: 24,939
New Mexico: 23,537
Utah St: 23,263
Wyoming: 19,476
Colorado St: 18,600
UNLV: 17,212
San Jose St: 16,362

And not hiring Hauck opened up my pocket book. I'm sure there are other much bigger donors than me who felt the same.

The academic center and weight/locker rooms are far from "world class". Not even close for academic center. The Performance Center will be nice, but not world class. The stadium is in significant need of upgrading and desperately needs a real press box. It will soon need new turf. Additional seating is for additional revenue from tickets. Most teams that move up need additional revenue from tickets to fund the move-up. As for big donors, I'd talking about donors capable of putting up $1-5 million.

hy-per-bo-le: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally ;)

And I've got the $1 end of your donation spectrum covered...

By comparison, all statements of mine are completely true.

The only part of mine that was hyperbole was the "world class" statement. They're (the new/existing facilities) are stlll good. VERY good. And certainly MWC-worthy. The rest of my statement is 100% factual. Go ahead and deny it...

statler & waldorf said:
What has to happen before UM could get an invitation to join the MWC? What would UM have to do, what would make the MWC extend an invitation? Not meant to be a trick question or a set up for some smartassed slam, just an honest question.

Montana will have to wait for more movements to the PAC 12 and/or Big 12. I have a feeling eventually, the power conferences will have 16 team leagues. Which teams move where? That is anyone's guess. It will be hard for the Pac 12 to find 4 more quality programs to fill their expectations on the field and classroom. Then again, with the money at stake in college football and basketball, it is possible they lower their standards some, or give whichever schools some time to get their standards.

How much would the Pac 12 consider the likes of Boise State, San Diego State, Air Force, BYU, Air Force, etc? The other options would be to expand their footprint TX and see which Big 12 schools they could convince come over, and the Big 12 add from Conference USA, etc? Then again, the MWC could also expand their foot print by competing for some of the Conference USA schools.

I feel Montana and NDSU would be the most likely FCS teams to jump to the MWC. NDSU surely will have the financial backing. I don't know what their plans would be to expand their football playing facility. Really, how much can they do with their current dome?

Either way, the GRIZ have to wait for all the bigger schools and conferences to make their moves. It is always interesting to follow and anticipate the future options for the GRIZ and college football. As a basketball fan, I would be even more excited for the GRIZ to move on to a better conference.

statler & waldorf said:

Boise leaving for a Big 5.

garizzalies said:
It has so many applications and it's kinda like the chewbaca defense but more believable.

:clap:

mtgrizrule said:
How much would the Pac 12 consider the likes of Boise State, San Diego State, Air Force, BYU, Air Force, etc? The other options would be to expand their footprint TX and see which Big 12 schools they could convince come over, and the Big 12 add from Conference USA, etc? Then again, the MWC could also expand their foot print by competing for some of the Conference USA schools.

The Pac12 would -never- consider Boise, SDSU, or BYU. Boise is a trucker school, SDSU is a commuter school, and BYU is too weird for that conference. The Pac12 is a very good academic conference with quite a few of those schools having a medical school of some sort attached to them. AFA would meet the academic requirements for the Pac12 but I seriously doubt they'd ever be considered considering they don't bring a lot to the conference of champions. If Pac12 was gonna expand they'd look at Texas.

MrTitleist said:
mtgrizrule said:

The Pac12 would -never- consider Boise, SDSU, or BYU. Boise is a trucker school, SDSU is a commuter school, and BYU is too weird for that conference. The Pac12 is a very good academic conference with quite a few of those schools having a medical school of some sort attached to them. AFA would meet the academic requirements for the Pac12 but I seriously doubt they'd ever be considered considering they don't bring a lot to the conference of champions. If Pac12 was gonna expand they'd look at Texas.

Define "commuter school". My daughter heavily considered SDSU before selecting Texas Tech, and I saw nothing "commuter" about SDSU. And I made several campus visits prior to her choice.

Spanky said:
Putter....why do you think we would be 6-6 or 5-6? The answer is yes. People would come to see the Griz play schools that someone has heard of for a change. Not to mention, see better competition than Northern Colorado.

Spanky, I agree about wanting to see better competition. The biggest question I have with AZ's post was...by moving up Montana will play better competition week in and week out. What happens, after a move up, and IF Montana goes 6-6 or 5-7 for a couple of years with Washington State, Utah or Utah St etc. on the schedule----playing them on the road will people continue to drive the 650 miles. The Missoula area is not a huge supporter of Griz athletics and the numbers come from people like yourself who are willing to drive and spend the money. Some will always come but some will not....we can't automatically count on 26k at every football game if there was a move up

EverettGriz said:
statler & waldorf said:

That's pretty funny. No Big 5 conference would want Boise. It's the 63d ranked Regional University in the West. 78% acceptance rate. 11% graduation rate in 4 years. The most popular major is nursing, which is 9% of the majors. Speech communication is 2d, with 7% of majors. Just ahead of Eastern Washington at 66th and Weber at 68th. That's impressive. Ha. Behind Sac St, Southern Utah and Walla Walla U, tied at 58th. Also behind La Sierra and Woodbury, tied at 56th. Central Washington is 51st. Stanford, UCLA and USC are probably pushing for Boise to come to the Pac-12. Ha.

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
statler & waldorf said:

That's pretty funny. No Big 5 conference would want Boise. It's the 63d ranked Regional University in the West. 78% acceptance rate. 11% graduation rate in 4 years. The most popular major is nursing, which is 9% of the majors. Speech communication is 2d, with 7% of majors. Just ahead of Eastern Washington at 66th and Weber at 68th. That's impressive. Ha. Behind Sac St, Southern Utah and Walla Walla U, tied at 58th. Also behind La Sierra and Woodbury, tied at 56th. Central Washington is 51st. Stanford, UCLA and USC are probably pushing for Boise to come to the Pac-12. Ha.

Boise prints money. That's all conferences care about.

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
statler & waldorf said:

If that was the case they'd have been gone from the MW a long time ago. Conferences like the B1G or Pac12 won't just take any swinging dick who's good at football. Boise is literally one of the worst academic institutions in the country.

MrTitleist said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

If that was the case they'd have been gone from the MW a long time ago. Conferences like the B1G or Pac12 won't just take any swinging dick who's good at football. Boise is literally one of the worst academic institutions in the country.

Certainly there's some truth there.

But If academics really matter, why isn't Cal Tech in the Pac12?

Trust me: If a conference needs a team, their ability to add to the bottom line will be the first criteria.

EverettGriz said:
statler & waldorf said:

Even if that were to happen, it's unlikely Montana would top the list of potential replacements. Particularly if it had to be Montana + MSU....

kemajic said:
EverettGriz said:
statler & waldorf said:

Even if that were to happen, it's unlikely Montana would top the list of potential replacements.

Not necessarily disagreeing, Kem, but who do you believe would be the front-runners and why?

putter said:
Spanky said:
Putter....why do you think we would be 6-6 or 5-6? The answer is yes. People would come to see the Griz play schools that someone has heard of for a change. Not to mention, see better competition than Northern Colorado.

Spanky, I agree about wanting to see better competition. The biggest question I have with AZ's post was...by moving up Montana will play better competition week in and week out. What happens, after a move up, and IF Montana goes 6-6 or 5-7 for a couple of years with Washington State, Utah or Utah St etc. on the schedule----playing them on the road will people continue to drive the 650 miles. The Missoula area is not a huge supporter of Griz athletics and the numbers come from people like yourself who are willing to drive and spend the money. Some will always come but some will not....we can't automatically count on 26k at every football game if there was a move up
The road trips would be no longer in the MW than in the BSC, in fact, mostly shorter. There is no basis for a premise that attendance would decrease with a move up. That has not been the experience of previous FCS programs that have moved up.

garizzalies said:

As noted in another thread, we're getting close to finding him. I'll update all in due course.

statler & waldorf said:

I would say have the DESIRE to be invited to the MWC, and be willing to say so. I don't think the current powers that be at the UM even have the DESIRE so it is pretty much a non-starter.

Seeing the pics of Wa-Griz and BSC and MWC stadiums I would say UM clearly looks like its peers are in the MWC. I have seen high school stadiums in that look more impressive than some like Northern Colorado's.

Latest posts

Back