• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky officiating-foul calling?

Montana (339th of 350) and Portland State (342th of 350) are a couple of the worst fouling programs in D1.

The Big Sky officiating is a joke.

We press, I get it, so we probably foul more, but this season has been some of the worst officiating that I've ever seen.

mporter said:
Montana (339th of 350) and Portland State (342th of 350) are a couple of the worst fouling programs in D1.

We press, I get it, so we probably foul more, but this season has been some of the worst officiating that I've ever seen.

Yes, both Montana and PSU play very aggressive D which will lead to more fouls. But the numbers are just ridiculous. I'm happy that fans from other programs are noting this. Maybe the bsc will actually do someth.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I crack myself up.

mporter said:

The rankings are pretty bad for almost all the other Big Sky teams too. If you look at fouls per possession 10 out of 12 Big Sky teams were in the bottom half and 9 of them were 200 or worse. At the time I looked that up the Griz were 349, PSU was 342, SUU was 341, MSU was 319, EWU was 300, NAU was 280, UNC 225, WSU 203, UND 201.

For fouls per game 8 of the 12 teams in the Big Sky were worse than 250. At the time I looked it up last week PSU was #351, Griz #345, SUU #344, MSU #321, NAU #292, EWU #289, UND #265 and UNC was #263.

I'm not sure what the numbers are after Thursday's game for the rest of the conference but they probably haven't changed a whole lot. Way too many whistle happy refs in the Big Sky games.

Tonight's game (EWU @Idaho) hasn't been bad so far. Only 16 fouls called in the first half and 13 free throws shot. Maybe EWU and Idaho will be lucky and be one of the rare Big Sky games that doesn't end up a mess in the 2nd half. Or maybe the refs will hit their quota of 40+ fouls and 40+ FTs in a game.

Per the article below, the Big Sky is a member if a six conference officiating consortium which includes PAC12 and Mountain West Conferences. We share officials so we should have consistency.

OGDEN, Utah (August 15, 2016) - The Pac-12, Mountain West, Big West, West Coast and Western Athletic Conferences are further expanding their men’s basketball officiating consortium to include the Big Sky Conference for the 2016-17 season.

The Western Officiating Consortium (WOC) will now feature all six Division I men’s basketball leagues encompassing the western United States.

The commissioners from the Pac-12, Mountain West, Big West, West Coast and Western Athletic Conferences commented on the Big Sky’s addition: “We take collective pride in the regional collaboration that will produce the largest and most comprehensive officiating consortium in Division I men’s college basketball, servicing 62 member schools across 16 states. Since starting the endeavor three seasons ago, great strides have been made toward providing the best officiating program for our coaches and student-athletes, and we welcome the Big Sky to the joint effort to advance this initiative.”

The consortium is designed to promote consistency - in training, development and evaluation - in officiating in the western U.S., and provide a larger, more diverse pool of officials for assignment. The Pac-12 and Mountain West established an officiating alliance prior to the 2013-14 season, and the Big West, WCC and WAC participated in its training programs before the creation of the consortium in advance of the 2015-16 season.

Veteran referee and officiating coordinator Bobby Dibler will continue to lead the WOC as he has done since its inception. Prior to his leadership role in the consortium, Dibler spent 20 years as coordinator of officials for the Mountain West and Western Athletic Conferences following a two-decade officiating career highlighted by assignments in 11 NCAA Tournaments, three Final Fours and several NITs.

Dibler heads a coordinators’ group which recruits, trains and assigns a top-level roster of officials that reflects the high quality of basketball played in the Conferences. They organize an annual pre-season training clinic that includes all roster officials and focuses on mechanics, game situations, rules knowledge and other key factors needed to ensure that they are among the best trained in the country. Additionally, Dibler makes an on-going and concerted effort to attract top lead officials to the consortium from throughout the region and nationally.

“The Big Sky Conference coaches and administrators welcome the opportunity to join the consortium, and appreciate the five other leagues for the invitation,” said Big Sky Commissioner Andrea Williams. “We share the vision of training, educating and assigning officials to create a more consistently officiated game and look forward to the benefits provided by the WOC collaboration.”

Per the article below, the Big Sky is a member if a six conference officiating consortium which includes PAC12 and Mountain West Conferences. We share officials so we should have consistency.

OGDEN, Utah (August 15, 2016) - The Pac-12, Mountain West, Big West, West Coast and Western Athletic Conferences are further expanding their men’s basketball officiating consortium to include the Big Sky Conference for the 2016-17 season.

The Western Officiating Consortium (WOC) will now feature all six Division I men’s basketball leagues encompassing the western United States.

The commissioners from the Pac-12, Mountain West, Big West, West Coast and Western Athletic Conferences commented on the Big Sky’s addition: “We take collective pride in the regional collaboration that will produce the largest and most comprehensive officiating consortium in Division I men’s college basketball, servicing 62 member schools across 16 states. Since starting the endeavor three seasons ago, great strides have been made toward providing the best officiating program for our coaches and student-athletes, and we welcome the Big Sky to the joint effort to advance this initiative.”

The consortium is designed to promote consistency - in training, development and evaluation - in officiating in the western U.S., and provide a larger, more diverse pool of officials for assignment. The Pac-12 and Mountain West established an officiating alliance prior to the 2013-14 season, and the Big West, WCC and WAC participated in its training programs before the creation of the consortium in advance of the 2015-16 season.

Veteran referee and officiating coordinator Bobby Dibler will continue to lead the WOC as he has done since its inception. Prior to his leadership role in the consortium, Dibler spent 20 years as coordinator of officials for the Mountain West and Western Athletic Conferences following a two-decade officiating career highlighted by assignments in 11 NCAA Tournaments, three Final Fours and several NITs.

Dibler heads a coordinators’ group which recruits, trains and assigns a top-level roster of officials that reflects the high quality of basketball played in the Conferences. They organize an annual pre-season training clinic that includes all roster officials and focuses on mechanics, game situations, rules knowledge and other key factors needed to ensure that they are among the best trained in the country. Additionally, Dibler makes an on-going and concerted effort to attract top lead officials to the consortium from throughout the region and nationally.

“The Big Sky Conference coaches and administrators welcome the opportunity to join the consortium, and appreciate the five other leagues for the invitation,” said Big Sky Commissioner Andrea Williams. “We share the vision of training, educating and assigning officials to create a more consistently officiated game and look forward to the benefits provided by the WOC collaboration.”

Just like in football where there is an argument to be made that you could call holding on every play you could certainly call a touch foul on every possession in basketball. It is up to the Refs to be smarter than that. In order for that to happen the NCAA and the conferences have to do a better job in training the Refs instead of just throwing a copy of the rule book at them and say "Read this and your ready".

I know they have more training but when you watch what happened in the PSU game and then hear about the ISU game one has to wonder!

Gaeilge1 said:
Just like in football where there is an argument to be made that you could call holding on every play you could certainly call a touch foul on every possession in basketball. It is up to the Refs to be smarter than that. In order for that to happen the NCAA and the conferences have to do a better job in training the Refs instead of just throwing a copy of the rule book at them and say "Read this and your ready".

I know they have more training but when you watch what happened in the PSU game and then hear about the ISU game one has to wonder!
Good point about the refs needing more/better training ... and being smart.

As for the ISU-NoCol game, that was beyond crazy. About the only thing you can say was that they were "even-handed" -- 30 fouls on UNC, 28 on ISU. The Bengals had "only" two guys actually foul out, but they also had three that played a long time with four. The Bears had three guys foul out, including one bench player who was in the game for just 11 minutes :wtf: . The streaming I used was not good enough to watch continuously, but it seemed like every time I bounced over there, somebody was at the foul line.

As the first half went on in the PSU game, and the foul count increased, I called out the number of fouls to the ref nearest me (usually right in front of me) at every break.

Why do refs call minor contact that has no impact on the game, and doesn't cause a change of possession? Now, if a guard is repeatedly grabbing or bumping the dribbler, then a foul may be necessary to stop the behavior.

Gaeilge1 said:

Well said! :clap: Agree 100% with this "policy," something the Big Sky could influence.

PlayerRep said:
As the first half went on in the PSU game, and the foul count increased, I called out the number of fouls to the ref nearest me (usually right in front of me) at every break.

Why do refs call minor contact that has no impact on the game, and doesn't cause a change of possession? Now, if a guard is repeatedly grabbing or bumping the dribbler, then a foul may be necessary to stop the behavior.

Keep at it! :lol: Agree that there's a discernable difference between "touch" and "impede." Evidently, this is a difficult concept (not being sarcastic) which requires more schooling and training... and perhaps grading (I believe Big Sky refs are graded after each game).

The overall problem is that the primary assumption by all of us is that the league wants to improve their product, that they are interested in listening to the feedback of their already far-too-small- and-still-dwindling fan bases. The reality is that by all evidence, nothing could be further from the truth. The quality of product and the fan experience just doesn’t seem to matter to the bsc.

PlayerRep said:

To add to your observation, I don't believe I've ever seen so many fouls called away from the ball as in all the conferences this group of officials serve. A screen is still a screen and a basic play in basketball. Moving screens are an entirely different story and ought to be called but only in the lane, correct? And a basic pick and roll taught to middle school kids gets called...

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Anybody watching the free throw shooting contest in Bozeangeles? Pathethic officials...
Well, sorta ... but it's basically unwatchable. Last I looked in, something over 30 fouls had been called -- over 10 min to go in the game -- and about 40 foul shots taken. Close game, but it looks like it could come down to who makes their foul shots.

IdaGriz01 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Anybody watching the free throw shooting contest in Bozeangeles? Pathethic officials...
Well, sorta ... but it's basically unwatchable. Last I looked in, something over 30 fouls had been called -- over 10 min to go in the game -- and about 40 foul shots taken. Close game, but it looks like it could come down to who makes their foul shots.

Have you watched the refs? They are as out of shape as the Cat coaches! Watch them sucking wind. I watched better middle school basketball games in the south than what this officiating crew is doing to a basketball game.

Damn! Look at those fat fucks calling that game...hands on their hips...just as long as whoever wins the tournament remembers how the rest of the country calls basketball this years representative in the tournament could sneak up on somebody!

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Yup, watched it. Refs cant even agree on the calls it seems. That one ref called the Cat player for a charge (and it was a very very obvious charge) then the other ref comes over and overrules him saying the PSU player was in the restricted area. Even the MSU announcers who are kind of homers said that the cats got lucky there, the PSU player was about 8 inches outside of the restricted area.

Do have to give the refs a little credit for a few stretches in the game when they didn't constantly blow whistles. They only ended up calling 37 fouls for the game instead of the usual 40+.

Cats ended up blowing a 10 point lead & losing to PSU after a 6-7 minute delay at the end of the game. There was a backcourt violation on PSU and I guess there was some trouble with the replay equipment so it took forever to figure out how much time was left on the clock.

Hall missed a 3 at the buzzer once play resumed. The bobcat announcers forgot to turn their mic off at the end and started talking about how Hall missed 3 buzzer beaters in the past few weeks that could've tied or won a game (the one vs NAU, the one @UND and now this one vs PSU). Sounded like they were hoping Frey would take the final shot since he was the only one who hit a 3 pointer today for the cats. Cats were 4-18 from 3. Frey was 4-11, Hall was 0-6. Cats have to be kicking themselves for missed free throws too... 17-31 from the line and a few misses were front ends of a 1 and 1.

Potomac Griz said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Yup, watched it. Refs cant even agree on the calls it seems. That one ref called the Cat player for a charge (and it was a very very obvious charge) then the other ref comes over and overrules him saying the PSU player was in the restricted area. Even the MSU announcers who are kind of homers said that the cats got lucky there, the PSU player was about 8 inches outside of the restricted area.

Do have to give the refs a little credit for a few stretches in the game when they didn't constantly blow whistles. They only ended up calling 37 fouls for the game instead of the usual 40+.

Cats ended up blowing a 10 point lead & losing to PSU after a 6-7 minute delay at the end of the game. There was a backcourt violation on PSU and I guess there was some trouble with the replay equipment so it took forever to figure out how much time was left on the clock.

Hall missed a 3 at the buzzer once play resumed. The bobcat announcers forgot to turn their mic off at the end and started talking about how Hall missed 3 buzzer beaters in the past few weeks that could've tied or won a game (the one vs NAU, the one @UND and now this one vs PSU). Sounded like they were hoping Frey would take the final shot since he was the only one who hit a 3 pointer today for the cats. Cats were 4-18 from 3. Frey was 4-11, Hall was 0-6. Cats have to be kicking themselves for missed free throws too... 17-31 from the line and a few misses were front ends of a 1 and 1.

Even though my family goes three generations at MSU, I have relatives who have their names on buildings here at UM and a child going to school here, so I try to stay nuetral. Try is the operative word.

I was at the game in Bozeangeles when Baylor and Seattle came to a new fieldhouse and got to see Chanay play. The 50s, 60s and 70s were great times to be a basketball freak in Montana. Officiating has ruined the game out here for me.

I hate the left coast teams! Just like you can't eliminate experimenter bias, you can't eliminate the lazy fat ass officials (and coaches) in this conference...and those of us who remember the "old days" when a UM or MSU team would go up and kick the shit out of "Big" school...for the love of Christ, let the kids determine the score! Those playgrounds in Philly, Augusta (Georgia), Atlanta where the fouls are called by the players instead of a fucking officials are the best games in this country.

PSU deserved to win and MSU...holy shit! What a waste of talent.

speaking of fouls...
the other night I posted re: our game (ISU) vs. UNC Bears...
5 players fouled out
5 more with 4 PFs
58 fouls called
72 free throw attempts
ISU took 35 FTs

Contrast with tonight vs. North Dakota
1 player fouled out
2 players with 4 PFs
36 fouls called
22 total free throw attempts
ISU took 9 FTs tonight
ISU's first FT in the game came at 13:19 of the 2nd half

It was like being on a totally different planet than Thursday night.

Back