• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky officiating-foul calling?

votb said:
speaking of fouls...
the other night I posted re: our game (ISU) vs. UNC Bears...
5 players fouled out
5 more with 4 PFs
58 fouls called
72 free throw attempts
ISU took 35 FTs

Contrast with tonight vs. North Dakota
1 player fouled out
2 players with 4 PFs
36 fouls called
22 total free throw attempts
ISU took 9 FTs tonight
ISU's first FT in the game came at 13:19 of the 2nd half

It was like being on a totally different planet than Thursday night.

As was the UM/Sac game vs the UM/PSU game....like the refs were snatched up by aliens and replaced with totally different rules.

The Big Sky Conference is a member of an officiating consortium that supplies officials to the PAC12, Mountain West, Big Sky and three other conferences. There should be consistency among all western conferences with regard to how games are officiated given that all refs come from the same officials' pool.

OGDEN, Utah (August 15, 2016) - The Pac-12, Mountain West, Big West, West Coast and Western Athletic Conferences are further expanding their men’s basketball officiating consortium to include the Big Sky Conference for the 2016-17 season.

The Western Officiating Consortium (WOC) will now feature all six Division I men’s basketball leagues encompassing the western United States.

The commissioners from the Pac-12, Mountain West, Big West, West Coast and Western Athletic Conferences commented on the Big Sky’s addition: “We take collective pride in the regional collaboration that will produce the largest and most comprehensive officiating consortium in Division I men’s college basketball, servicing 62 member schools across 16 states. Since starting the endeavor three seasons ago, great strides have been made toward providing the best officiating program for our coaches and student-athletes, and we welcome the Big Sky to the joint effort to advance this initiative.”

The consortium is designed to promote consistency - in training, development and evaluation - in officiating in the western U.S., and provide a larger, more diverse pool of officials for assignment. The Pac-12 and Mountain West established an officiating alliance prior to the 2013-14 season, and the Big West, WCC and WAC participated in its training programs before the creation of the consortium in advance of the 2015-16 season.

Veteran referee and officiating coordinator Bobby Dibler will continue to lead the WOC as he has done since its inception. Prior to his leadership role in the consortium, Dibler spent 20 years as coordinator of officials for the Mountain West and Western Athletic Conferences following a two-decade officiating career highlighted by assignments in 11 NCAA Tournaments, three Final Fours and several NITs.

Dibler heads a coordinators’ group which recruits, trains and assigns a top-level roster of officials that reflects the high quality of basketball played in the Conferences. They organize an annual pre-season training clinic that includes all roster officials and focuses on mechanics, game situations, rules knowledge and other key factors needed to ensure that they are among the best trained in the country. Additionally, Dibler makes an on-going and concerted effort to attract top lead officials to the consortium from throughout the region and nationally.

“The Big Sky Conference coaches and administrators welcome the opportunity to join the consortium, and appreciate the five other leagues for the invitation,” said Big Sky Commissioner Andrea Williams. “We share the vision of training, educating and assigning officials to create a more consistently officiated game and look forward to the benefits provided by the WOC collaboration.”

If you get a chance talk to someone who is an official, especially for college. Whenever I get the chance I learn something new.

The biggest examples:
There is no such thing as "over the back" - if a player jumps and makes contact and doesn't "displace the opponent" it's not a foul

There is no such foul as "reaching in" - I don't remember what constitutes a foul but just the act of reaching in as we know it is not a foul;

Traveling has nothing to do with steps. I saw the rule once and nowhere did it mention steps. I don't remember the specifics, but I do know it has to do with establishing a pivot foot and that foot coming up and going down again. And if a player is driving it has something to do with gathering the ball. I think something like a pivot comes in at that point.

What these conversations have taught me is I don't understand the rules but the officials (no matter how bad they seem) probably do. It doesn't mean they are perfect but they are likely right and more consistent than we will realize.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Don't know the names of the refs.....but anyone else notice one of our old BSC favorites (50 ish.....with shorter gray hair) doing the Kentucky/Kansas State game last night? Any coincidence both teams shot tons of FT's and think KSU had over 30 total fouls? It was a very physical game but both teams got to bonus fairly early in each half.

Contrast the Nevada/Loyola game where Nevada wished they'd gotten Loyola to the single bonus prior to time running out.

Mousegriz said:
Don't know the names of the refs.....but anyone else notice one of our old BSC favorites (50 ish.....with shorter gray hair) doing the Kentucky/Kansas State game last night? Any coincidence both teams shot tons of FT's and think KSU had over 30 total fouls? It was a very physical game but both teams got to bonus fairly early in each half.

Contrast the Nevada/Loyola game where Nevada wished they'd gotten Loyola to the single bonus prior to time running out.
According to the box score posted on ESPN, KSU had exactly 30 fouls called on them, with 21 against UK.

It certainly was a very physical game and, being totally honest, the refs could have called quite a few more. There was a huge amount of bumping and grinding under the basket, and plenty of hand fighting, elbows working, and hip checking out in the open (some called, more not). It made the game hard to watch (see the "Painful" thread I started), but I'm ready to concede that the refs had to call as many as they did to keep things from getting out of hand.

Back