• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bob Stitt pre-spring camp press conference

BWahlberg

DONOR
Some notes:

https://www.periscope.tv/UMGRIZZLIES_FB/1YpKkdpwAqVGj?t=1

- Good to be through signing day and can now work on X's and O's. In the off-season it's getting prepared to play great football. There's a physical part of it that they're addressing in the weight room. Mentally the coaches are hard after it too. Working on handling adversity and bouncing back. Also there's a social part of this, sticking together through adversity. This is all an everyday process.

- Excited about this group, some depth is built. We were young last year and will be young again but have built some depth. We have some young guys we're excited to see what they can do on the field this spring. Will be tough for young guys to break through over returning starters but they will get a shot.

- Depth on the D-line is going to be huge

- 4 starters back in the secondary, but behind it is young, very young.

- Oline could possibly start 4 seniors, Mike Ralston is over 300 pounds (he backed up at RT last season)

- Reese at QB has the upper hand to start with but all will get reps. "All are capable guys"

- Jeremy Calhoun will be limited this spring, Favors, Green, and McCombs will get a lot of looks. Will be able to see what they do.

- "H" is solid, Horner is a senior, Bingham is back, Simis has really impressed this off-season. Did a good job last year but is now physically ready and looks like a million bucks, a great leader.

- Z is good, Jerry is back as is Lyons. Going to try to find a 3rd "z" and that might be Toure, he might get on the outside though too.

- On the outside Curran and Calhoun are the big play guys, but Lamarriel Taylor needs to step up too. Need to find that 3rd guy for the job and is that Eaton, Akem, Corbin, or someone else?

- Special teams, two good kickers and a good punter coming back.

- A nice football team but need to keep developing this team. Can't wait to get out on the 13th and see how these guys compete.

------------

Q: from Shaun Rainey about Stitt's comments on re-evaluating everything post season.

A: biggest thing they talked about is the players are our asset and developing them and building better relationships with them to compete harder is key. Team is talented and these guys need to know they care for each other. The problem in the last half of the season could be tied to this. Play good, hard football and trust each other.

Q: On the relationship the coaching staff has as a group

A: Got to get along well together and even hired a leadership coach/consultant to work with the group to set more goals and handle clear communications. All these guys make things go not just me (Stitt). A tight-knit dynamic right now.

Q: Did they build identifiable goals?

A: Yes but not something they really packaged to be a public motto. Coach Nicholson has incorporated them into the weight room and made them obvious but putting them on a t-shirt only goes so far, players have to believe and live these goals.

Q: Will you be practicing more live-game situations in practice?

A: Definitely. Also more accountability in practice this year. Basically taking a more hard-line approach on sloppy play. Helping players understand that mistakes can cost the whole team. (He didn't say this but it reads like they maybe let this slide last year for the sake of development, and that won't be the case this spring).

Q: Prefer to be at Wa Griz for spring game?

A: Liked being in Helena two years ago. Going to Butte can help with a road-game type feel, get on a bus and travel to a stadium. We weren't good on the road last year. Helpful to simulate traveling and playing in an "unfamiliar" place.

Q: In practice what are you looking for in a QB?

A: The offense needs to adapt to the QBs style of play. Need that type of intensity from the QB that leads the team, that motivates the group. Used the "Tom Brady stare" as an example. Need the type of QB that the defense wants badly for him to get the ball back in his hands.

Q: Are you aware you went 3-5 in the conference last season?

A: I think read that once on egriz but I can't recall.

(I might've added one that wasn't in the presser but I'll let you guys guess which one it is)

There's some more stuff - but those are the highlights, feel free to check the periscope link!

With Stitt saying we might have 4 seniors starting on the OL that would mean:

LT - Reese (Sr)
LG - Villanueva (Soph)
C - Sprunk (Sr)
RG - Luke (Sr)
RT - Ralston (Sr)

AZGrizFan said:
Ralston up over 300? Jesus...that didn't take long.

He was 268 or 270 at the start of the 2016 season... 30 pounds over a fall/winter... yeah that's quick movement in weight. Unless he was working on it all through the fall too.

Every Stitt press conference it seems like he is always the king of "coach speak." Always want to know what he's really thinking. However, I did appreciate him breaking down the depth chart a bit going into spring ball.

I'm intrigued by Ralston if he is that big. He looked good in pass coverage in mop up duty last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWahlberg said:
With Stitt saying we might have 4 seniors starting on the OL that would mean:

LT - Reese (Sr)
LG - Villanueva (Soph)
C - Sprunk (Sr)
RG - Luke (Sr)
RT - Ralston (Sr)

Coach speak. Stitt always seems to give the first crack to the Senior, which is fine. I would be very surprised if that is our starting group on the line.

dayday said:
Every Stitt press conference it seems like he is always the king of "coach speak." Always want to know what he's really thinking. However, I did appreciate him breaking down the depth chart a bit going into spring ball.

And that makes him different from every coach in America how?

George Ferguson said:
dayday said:

And that makes him different from every coach in America how?

I think what makes this coach speak a little different is this:

biggest thing they talked about is the players are our asset and developing them and building better relationships with them to compete harder is key. Team is talented and these guys need to know they care for each other.

So did they not value them as "assets" prior, that it's now that he's serious about it being the coaches job to develop them or that it's time for them to care for each other? We're these points issues in the collapse last year? I don't know, but he felt compelled to share it. I give him credit for bringing in someone to help them build better communication - just hoping it takes for everyone's sanity.

it may be just me, however I didn't really understand the beginning of the conference,,,stitt said, we have developed more depth this year over previous year but we are YOUNG.....looking at who he mentioned, as could be starters, this is just not the case....it was almost like a built in excuse to me....I know you all will tell me where I'm wrong on this.....an I'm a stitt fan too....go griz !

It is way too early to consider Coach's comments as a depth chart. I would consider it simply as roster comments. When spring ball is over and we will have a lot more realistic idea of what we have, roster changes which always happen, where are needs are and if they will be filled by late additions to the roster. (I am still believing they are looking for a CB or 2)

I remember last year the talk about Simis and I hear it again this year and yet he didn't see the field that much last year. I don't see him passing Horner or Bingham if, as was suggested, he is playing the same position as they are unless someone gets injured.

A: Yes but not something they really packaged to be a public motto. Coach Nicholson has incorporated them into the weight room and made them obvious but putting them on a t-shirt only goes so far, players have to believe and live these goals.

Is there any way, with all you insiders, to discover just what these identifiable goals are? I don't care about a public motto, I would like to know what the goals for the season are for Stitt, coaching staff and team, so we can examine accountability at the end of the season. Is this too much to ask?

krammer said:
it may be just me, however I didn't really understand the beginning of the conference,,,stitt said, we have developed more depth this year over previous year but we are YOUNG.....looking at who he mentioned, as could be starters, this is just not the case....it was almost like a built in excuse to me....I know you all will tell me where I'm wrong on this.....an I'm a stitt fan too....go griz !

It made sense to me. We had a lot of talented underclassman on the roster last year, especially freshman. It takes a year or 2 to really develop that talent. From the sounds of it, a lot of those young players and scout team players made big strides during last season and are continuing that development this off season. They are still young and inexperienced, but they are probably the reason behind that statement concerning depth.

Sam A. Blitz said:
krammer said:

It made sense to me. We had a lot of talented underclassman on the roster last year, especially freshman. It takes a year or 2 to really develop that talent. From the sounds of it, a lot of those young players and scout team players made big strides during last season and are continuing that development this off season. They are still young and inexperienced, but they are probably the reason behind that statement concerning depth.

Yeah last year Stitt didn't want to burn a redshirt on the freshmen so this year we will reap the benefits of having those talented players in the depth chart. I think that should help with depth and special teams. I like the idea of Toure or Nash getting a shot at returning kicks to save JLM a little more and only use him on kicks in critical situations.

On my coach speak comment it's not really different than a lot of programs. I just don't like it as a fan but understand it.

sdk.catfish said:

Is there any way, with all you insiders, to discover just what these identifiable goals are? I don't care about a public motto, I would like to know what the goals for the season are for Stitt, coaching staff and team, so we can examine accountability at the end of the season. Is this too much to ask?

If you watched the conference, he referenced a new idea or theme of "5 Pillars" to build team goals and unity around. He said they don't need to go public with it as it's an internal motivator and something he needs the kids to buy into and make a part of the culture. Sounds like they even created teams around these 5 pillars and assigned each kid into one of the five groups.

sdk.catfish said:

I don't know for sure, but do you suppose one of the identifiable goals is to win lotsa games? "Accountabilty" at the end of the season should easily examined.

by HookedonGriz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:16 pm

sdk.catfish wrote: ↑Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:46 pm

If you watched the conference, he referenced a new idea or theme of "5 Pillars" to build team goals and unity around. He said they don't need to go public with it as it's an internal motivator and something he needs the kids to buy into and make a part of the culture. Sounds like they even created teams around these 5 pillars and assigned each kid into one of the five groups.

Typically goals without metrics (i.e. measurable goals) are just wishes. Without more information I won't opine on the "5 Pillars" concept but if that is what they are developing the team around it would be interesting to know what the pillars are, and what the action items associated with those pillars are. Doesn't sound much different than the typical goals, objectives and action items associated with most strategic planning efforts to me.

One may have some broad goals or objectives which may or may not be win related and "pillars" may be as good as any other method to define those. For example one goal (or pillar) may be to win a conference championship but another could be to give quality effort each and every quarter of every game.

There is no need to associate a specific won/loss record with a goal of winning a conference championship. Obviously we need to have a better record than last year to do so. Both the above goals could have specific action items such as improve the yards per catch ratio on both sides of the ball or decrease the number of penalty yardage by 15%. Several on this forum have analysed last year's statistics and there is ample room for measurable improvement. What I'm saying is that quality accountable leadership means developing measurable actions for improvement and I didn't really see (haven't listened to it yet) that from this synopsis of the initial press conference. Maybe it will come later.

Back