• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bob Stitt pre-spring camp press conference

krammer said:
it may be just me, however I didn't really understand the beginning of the conference,,,stitt said, we have developed more depth this year over previous year but we are YOUNG.....looking at who he mentioned, as could be starters, this is just not the case....it was almost like a built in excuse to me....I know you all will tell me where I'm wrong on this.....an I'm a stitt fan too....go griz !
Amen, kram. I'm already sick of hearing the "young" excuse. We've heard it enuf the past 2 seasons; we should not be hearing it this year, but he is already planting that seed. How are other "young" teams able to beat us? Stitt said 9 freshman played in the NCU game. I can't remember if he said "played" or "started" but I think he was counting the kicker/punters too. What really pisses me off is that stitt says these things but seems to play seniors on senior day. F-that. You can't have it both ways. The best player should play regardless of age.

He wants 10 more years before his recruits are in place. Still looking for a QB that can understand his offense.

I thought he sounded humble, honest and refreshing. I don't know if that translates into winning or not, but it wasn't with all the bravado that I think some of his pressers have.

behappp said:
Well since Sharia Law is outlawed in MT we can pretty sure that Stitt is not talking about this -

Five Pillars of Islam
noun
the basic precepts of Islam, including belief in Allah and Muhammad the prophet, prayer, charity or almsgiving, fasting, and pilgrimage to Mecca; also called Five Pillars, Pillars of Islam

This is a possibility though -

I call this “The 5 Pillars of Influential Leadership.” I will briefly describe each of the pillars below and suggest that although there is overlap in the progression, the maximum return on each pillar is connected to success in the previous pillars.

PILLAR 1 – AWARENESS

It is difficult to learn and retain information without first being aware of where we are. This includes knowing where we currently are, knowing where we have been and more importantly, where we want to go.

“When we change the way we look at things; the things we look at change.” – Dr. Wayne Dyer

We are all striving to improve both our skill level and the situation we are currently in. If you don’t know where you are, how do you know where to go? Think of it as a road map. You might know the destination but without a starting point you are unable to chart the course. Only once you accept where you are, good and bad, can you determine the course needed for the desired outcome.

True awareness will allow you to accept what you currently lack and focus on the skills you currently possess. To develop as a leader you must be able to honestly identify both of these in order to become who you were designed to be.

PILLAR 2 – ENVIRONMENT

Once you have gained a strong awareness of where you are and where you want to be, it becomes crucial to understand how the environment in which you are in will affect your steps forward. The basic question becomes, “Is the environment that you are in conducive to growth?”

You basically have two choices. Change yourself within your current environment in the hope that you can become an agent of change or find a new environment. This decision will be based on a multitude of variables and will be different for every individual. What will remain constant throughout is that the only control you really have is to change yourself.

“Whether you are a success or failure in life has little to do with circumstances; it has much to do with your choices.” – Nido Qubein

Honestly, I believe this is the most difficult pillar to conquer. There are so many moving parts and variables beyond our control that it makes it difficult to make changes alone. Regardless of your tenacity and perseverance, inevitably your environment will directly impact your overall success.

PILLAR 3 – GROWTH

Once you have an idea of your goals and how your environment will affect the outcome, you are ready to maximize your personal and professional growth. Embracing the previous two pillars allows us to better take on the challenges ahead.

If you have ever been seriously hurt, you know that sometimes you need to get well before you get better. We need to take care of the basics before we can tackle the more difficult tasks in growing towards our potential. Reaching our potential is better, but if we do not have a good understanding of the required steps to get better, it becomes difficult to consistently grow.

“Before you are a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others. —Jack Welch

If you want to grow, you have to decide the path you will take. Again, this is an example of the progression … is the environment you are in conducive to your growth? Growth doesn’t happen in a day, it happens daily. What you do today will determine who you will be tomorrow.

PILLAR 4 – COMMUNICATION

Now that you have a good idea where you are and where you want to be and are taking steps to get there, it is time to start sharing your knowledge and achievements with others. After all, teamwork makes the dream work and when we reach the point of positively influencing those around us, we are impacting the world we live in on a much larger scale.

You won’t communicate effectively unless the people you are communicating with are receptive to that communication. Making the conversation about the other person and valuing their input is critical to a successful relationship. Meeting them on common ground and meeting them where they are at are two successful ways to communicate.

“The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” – George Bernard Shaw

To communicate successfully, what is being said is what needs to be heard. Perception, assumption and presumption play into most of the conversations we have. Be clear on what you are attempting to say and make sure that is what’s being heard. Communication skills need to be atop any growth plan for without those skills, we will be unable to influence others or the outcome.

PILLAR 5 – LEADERSHIP

Once you have achieved the skills to be a good leader, and only then, can you become an influential leader. Influential leaders make changes and positively impact those around them.

It doesn’t matter if you are speaking of business or your personal life, leadership will prove out to be the key to your success. Every leader has a certain amount of success with these pillars but those that understand how the progression works will ultimately become influential leaders.

“A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.” – John Maxwell Tweet this!

At the end of the day, influential leaders are focused on building what matters. What matters is the people they are leading. Without a strong core of people, the structure will eventually fail.

interesting enough to comment on, your theory that is...
awareness
over the past 4 months i have been aware of winter and it has been a challenge to get through this one without effecting my health. so i decided to change the way i look at it, so now when i have to shovel the snow off my sidewalk, driveway, backporch, walkways and my truck i whistle "hi ho hi ho off to work i go" instead of bitching and cursing the weather god for continuing to harass me every single day with this sh*t, but......then there is reality to remind me it is still fu*king cold and nothing has really changed, so i am not sure what Dr Dyer is referring to. maybe i should being doing more like shoveling in flip flops, a short sleeve shirt and shorts to consummate the change in attitude/outlook? or become a god and change the weather just like that......hummm, now that i am aware......changing the weather

environment
thought i just talked about this one, however, you said it best in your last paragraph under this topic the odds can be stacked against you....unless you change your environment, so lets see, become a god or move to costa rica.

growth
i thought this was interesting, "If you have ever been seriously hurt, you know that sometimes you need to get well before you get better." if you are hurt and then get well aren't you better? maybe there is more of an esoteric point to this that escapes me. Since i am using your quotes this one is well said,
"Growth doesn’t happen in a day, it happens daily. What you do today will determine who you will be tomorrow." I will make this point though, becoming a leader, being successful and your success is tied to growing others is arbitrary at best and it is not necessarily a natural progression....it is a choice and may take skill. to me, it is like being a manager, just because you are one does not make you a competent or a good one.

communication
since it takes mastering the first 3 pillars i may not....ah, to heck with it i have said my piece. just before anyone wants to say anything about my rant may i quote you once again, "You won’t communicate effectively unless the people you are communicating with are receptive to that communication." so to make sure, you all have to do your part as well!
And then, you stated, "Making the conversation about the other person and valuing their input is critical to a successful relationship. Meeting them on common ground and meeting them where they are at are two successful ways to communicate." Well said........wasn't this kinda covered in the 8 Agreements?

leadership
Wow, "Once you have achieved the skills to be a good leader, and only then, can you become an influential leader. Influential leaders make changes and positively impact those around them."
"At the end of the day, influential leaders are focused on building what matters. What matters is the people they are leading. Without a strong core of people, the structure will eventually fail."
maybe this is what people are trying to say about stitts as a head coach and his prerequisite for the QB?

Back