• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

BW's post-spring depth chart & position battles

mtgrizrule said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
Someone please tell me why Delaney would be listed over Williams. Anyone? Anyone?

Delaney had a much better spring overall and Williams was moved to play corner. Not sure why some people think it's impossible Delaney could be a serviceable player...

I think it is more of people liking the potential upside of other players, with a much higher ceiling than Delaney. That is not a knock on Delaney. He has already done better than many fans expected him to do. You said it already, many see Delaney's ceiling as a serviceable player. Meanwhile there are others with potential beyond "serviceable". For what it is worth, I'd love to see Delaney prove be more than serviceable. Can he do it though?

I'll be the risk taker of the group. NO...

reinell30 said:
grizaremoregooder said:
No way they can go into the season with the kickers they have on the roster.

Another year of poor kicking? This is getting old....
Another year of people bagging on a kid who had a career kicking percentage better than McKnight or Carpenter? This shit is getting old.

AZGrizFan said:
reinell30 said:
grizaremoregooder said:

Another year of people bagging on a kid who had a career kicking percentage better than McKnight or Carpenter? This shit is getting old.

So just who do you have in mind to do the kicking this year that is better than Carps, McKnight or sully? I am all for it! If we have a kicker on the roster like you describe, than apparently grizaremoregooder might be confused or maybe I am confused by his comment? Maybe he means our kickers are the greatest in college football, I don't know.....

To obtain a good kicker we need to search the country and offer free ice cream and cake. Toss in some money or take a chance on trying out 4 or 5 high school kickers. If we don't go after a great kicker simply figure on going for it on fourth and 20 or faking a kick while throwing the ball. I am starting to think coach Stitt does not want to live and die by the kick.
The next time I am able to visit with coach Stitt I will ask him what he has in mind concerning a kicker and will post his thoughts etc.

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
Don't know about everyone else, but add Strong to that 2-deep and ONE MORE CB, and I really, really, REALLY like the looks of this team.

Gonna do some serious damage.

Agreed, need K / P figured out too and need to see one backup tackle come along, either on the current roster or with the new freshman class.

Agree with this 100%. If we can get those areas stablized this team could be -- dare I say it? -- scary good.

reinell30 said:
AZGrizFan said:
reinell30 said:
grizaremoregooder said:

So just who do you have in mind to do the kicking this year that is better than Carps, McKnight or sully? I am all for it! If we have a kicker on the roster like you describe, than apparently grizaremoregooder might be confused or maybe I am confused by his comment? Maybe he means our kickers are the greatest in college football, I don't know.....

My comment was directed at YOU. You say "another year" like it's been going on forever. My point is, Sullivan was as good as Carps or McKnight, which is two pretty tough acts to follow. I'm not saying we're not going to have A year of poor kicking....but your implication that it's a continuation of a past trend is inaccurate.

AZGrizFan said:
reinell30 said:
AZGrizFan said:
reinell30 said:

My comment was directed at YOU. You say "another year" like it's been going on forever. My point is, Sullivan was as good as Carps or McKnight, which is two pretty tough acts to follow. I'm not saying we're not going to have A year of poor kicking....but your implication that it's a continuation of a past trend is inaccurate.

A past trend it is, no matter how you compile the numbers. If Sully FG % is, was 100%, one still has to ask, how many times did the coach pass on a field goal attempt and go for it because he knew his kicker wasn't a sure thing. Missing extra points in unacceptable...hence why the NFL moved the distance back because the kickers were so reliable and the extra point were automatic. That is the kind of kicker we need in Wash-Griz stadium.
Mr. automatic. Yes I might live in a fantasy world, but I see other teams get these great kickers and I just think it is time the Griz get theirs again. Griz have had Mr. Automatic's in the past, you know it!
I want the best and I expect the best, just too many times I don't get my way.

reinell30 said:
AZGrizFan said:

A past trend it is, no matter how you compile the numbers. If Sully FG % is, was 100%, one still has to ask, how many times did the coach pass on a field goal attempt and go for it because he knew his kicker wasn't a sure thing. Missing extra points in unacceptable...hence why the NFL moved the distance back because the kickers were so reliable and the extra point were automatic. That is the kind of kicker we need in Wash-Griz stadium.
Mr. automatic. Yes I might live in a fantasy world, but I see other teams get these great kickers and I just think it is time the Griz get theirs again. Griz have had Mr. Automatic's in the past, you know it!

With Stitt's offense, we don't need one with a great leg. Stitt is going to go for it on 4th down between the 30-50 yard line. We need one that's accurate inside the 40. Sully was accurate inside the 40. VERY accurate. in fact, of his six misses last year, three were 49, 52, 55. He was perfect inside the 30.

The two that hurt the most were the two misses at ISU. Those kept ISU in the game and necessitated the miracle ending we all witnessed. I just don't think a Stitt-coached team is gonna have many FG attempts longer than 35-40 yards even IF we had a great kicker on the team...

AZGrizFan said:
reinell30 said:
AZGrizFan said:

With Stitt's offense, we don't need one with a great leg. Stitt is going to go for it on 4th down between the 30-50 yard line. We need one that's accurate inside the 40. Sully was accurate inside the 40. VERY accurate. in fact, of his six misses last year, three were 49, 52, 55. He was perfect inside the 30.

The two that hurt the most were the two misses at ISU. Those kept ISU in the game and necessitated the miracle ending we all witnessed. I just don't think a Stitt-coached team is gonna have many FG attempts longer than 35-40 yards even IF we had a great kicker on the team...

I agree with you!

Remember that this position gets zero coaching. No one on the staff has ever kick a football let alone coached a kicker. Both Delaney and Stitt dislike kickers...you get what you give.

Experience, maturity, mental strength and leg is what determines a good kicker, oh and putting it through the uprights. Clearly Semenza choked in front of only 1000 fans - 25,000 fans, not a chance.
Heard from the staff that Stitt wanted to see if any of the kickers could perform, they can't. Other than that, not a clear reason as to why Greenberg didn't kick much in the last scrimmage. Looks like Greenberg, who has done well in camp is the kid.
Every possession should end in a kick, they should devote time energy, and at least a kicking consultant to those positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinly guised attempt to find a new kicker the day after spring ball concludes.

Kent Haslam tweet: Inaugural student-athlete kickball tourney is underway! This is a competitive group. #GoGriz

4 RETWEETS10 LIKES

Way to go coach.

I am a big fan of Sandry, he's a future star. No doubt about it. The kid is tough, tough. I couldn't say enough good things about him. But he will not start over the OSU dude.

Sandry has made plays, yes, but he has given them up as well (as every safety does, especially young). He has given up a long pass to the inside slot wr and he has given up a long td to TE Bingham when he should have tackled him. He isn't afraid to stick his nose in there on run support, that's for sure, but he's finding out that Division 1 FCS football isn't like little class b ball. For instance he gets knocked backwards on some tackles (as all safeties do at times), that probably never happened much in tiny Bigfork.

He's a tremendous player, but like all players, they need time to reach their potential. Gonna be great!

bgbigdog said:
Was Peoples a bigger loss than we know now? Never saw him kick in HS, so just asking.

Yes.

I follow BC, and Danny is a big loss for UM. Big, accurate leg. And the confidence of good QB out there kicking under pressure.

Back