• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cal Poly SLO Mustangs Scouting Report

SouthDakotaGrizzly said:
As usual, nice write-up! But, to be nit-picky, you've got Poly's record listed at 4-2 instead of 4-3. I edit documents for a living, so couldn't help but pick that up :) .

It seems as though the Griz have had trouble getting both the offense and defense clicking in the same game this year....either the D dominates, but the O struggles (Wyoming, NDSU) or the O starts clicking while the D struggles (UC-Davis). Time to get on the same page!

Sheesh! Corrected! :thumb:

poorgriz said:
dupuyer griz said:
The triple option is a bully offense and the only thing a bully understands is violence. The quarterback needs to get up after every play. Not dirty, not late, just on the ground every time he touches the ball. Limit an option and all the sudden it's option football and not triple option.

But when tackling the QB, I hope your players don't hit him as hard as they can because PR isn't into that. They need to let up a little.

Yawn. Unsurprisingly, reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

To win this game, our coaches have to allow Jordy to run the entire offense, including faking the hand-off and running the ball himself. This will soften the defense and open up both the running game as well as the passing game. He needs to run EARLY in the game, to show Poly that he will be a threat to run at any time. If we play scared, like we have done the past two weeks, we will lose.

argh! said:
AllWeatherFan said:
The roadway is littered with the carcasses of people who've picked against the Griz over the years. I don't care what the game looks like on paper. This is Montana. We don't have anything to prove to Cal Poly.

i was wondering where those carcasses came from. thanks!

Need proof?

Here are some Chanticleers and Blue Hens who picked against the Griz in the playoffs:

4637118-3x2-940x627.jpg

Oh, wait, I'm getting word that we posted the wrong photo.

grizzly2.jpg

Cal Poly isn't the kind of team gets beat by a bend, don't break defense. The Mustangs will just march down the field getting enough yards to convert, while avoiding the kind of mistakes that come from throwing the ball.

Montana has to play man. It certainly has the speed to do do this well, but the coach is going to have to allow it. There shouldn't be any, "just don't give up the big play" b.s. this week. If there is, the Griz with suffer a death of a thousand small cuts.

As always---awesome summary Brint. Yeah---this game has scared me as well from Day 1 with upset potential and just that scary Triple Option to begin with. Cliche but true---be disciplined on "D" and stay within your assignments. Clean up last week's sloppy tackling and continue to play with an attitude. On offense turn JJ loose and I like your support of continuing him in that Pistol. He is most effective when he is moving around and has time to scan the field---hear that "O" line? And Special Teams---let's get back that edge we showed in the Bobby years!

GO GRIZ!

BWahlberg said:
Looking at this matchup I fear this has upset written all over it. Consider the facts.

1. The Griz on the road are scoring an average of 13.3 points per game. Poly at home is scoring 42 points per game (in just 2 games – however their scoring offense is averaging 33.3 points per game).

Let's look a little DEEPER than the "facts". Cal Poly's two home games have been against PSU (an absolute train wreck of a program) and SUU (with a defense that my grandmother could score on). Our Road games have been against FBS Wyoming, the #1 team in all the land for 3 1/2 years (NDSU), and the team with the 2nd best defense in the BSC (UND). Meanwhile, Cal Poly has given up points by the shitload to just about everybody they've played....

I'll take the Griz by 10. 38-28 :clap: :clap:

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
Looking at this matchup I fear this has upset written all over it. Consider the facts.

1. The Griz on the road are scoring an average of 13.3 points per game. Poly at home is scoring 42 points per game (in just 2 games – however their scoring offense is averaging 33.3 points per game).

Let's look a little DEEPER than the "facts". Cal Poly's two home games have been against PSU (an absolute train wreck of a program) and SUU (with a defense that my grandmother could score on). Our Road games have been against FBS Wyoming, the #1 team in all the land for 3 1/2 years (NDSU), and the team with the 2nd best defense in the BSC (UND). Meanwhile, Cal Poly has given up points by the shitload to just about everybody they've played....

I'll bet you, let's say $200 this doesn't happen. :thumb: :cool:

OptimusPrime said:
AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:

You'll bet me that what doesn't happen?

AZGrizFan said:
OptimusPrime said:
AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:

You'll bet me that what doesn't happen?
I was "betting" you "$200" that they wouldn't win by 10. That seems to be the amount that's going on around here.

This will be an interesting game with each team having beaten only the worse teams in the Big Sky.

Cal Poly"s conference opponents, who they have beaten, have a combined conference record of 3-8

Griz conference opponents have a combined conference record of 2-9.

The winner will be a contender. I'm afraid the loser will be watching the playoffs on tv.

Htowngriz said:
poorgriz said:
dupuyer griz said:
The triple option is a bully offense and the only thing a bully understands is violence. The quarterback needs to get up after every play. Not dirty, not late, just on the ground every time he touches the ball. Limit an option and all the sudden it's option football and not triple option.

But when tackling the QB, I hope your players don't hit him as hard as they can because PR isn't into that. They need to let up a little.

Yawn. Unsurprisingly, reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

My reading comprehension is fine. My post was a little jab at PR for his post where he said he said players shouldn't hit the QB as hard as they can during a legal hit. I even brought up the comparison of when your Keith Thompson absolutely destroyed that receiver on a clean, legal hit, which is apparently OK but you're not supposed to hit a QB that hard. The whole discussion was bizarre to me, especially considering that in today's game, sometimes the QB can actually be a receiver on certain plays, and they certainly run the ball often. So I was never clear on when PR thinks it's OK to tee off on the QB, if ever.

Some simple facts are we have a lot of upper classman on defense who have seen and prepared for this type of "stuff" in the past. Wagenmann, Takai , Rehm, Hermanson, have an idea on what's going to happen. Things like paying attention to what the guard is doing etc... The hard part will be getting the players up to game speed. I'm not in the least worried that we can slow them down but to think we will stop them completely isn't going to happen. It seems obvious we need to limit them on 3rd and 4th down conversions. In order to this we can't allow 4-5 yards per carry on 1st down. This will be the biggest test to date for that young line backing crew. DO NOT OVER PURSUE and have confidence in the players around you. As far as the offense I really think JJ is starting to put things together. Haynes will play a big role this week and #13 and #83 have to step it up. IMO the more we see#34 on the field the better. He is a great blocker! I will give the edge to Montana on special teams. Coverage had been good and I don't flinch every time we try a field goal. Turnovers might very well determine this one.

Go Griz!!

monte is a character said:
To win this game, our coaches have to allow Jordy to run the entire offense, including faking the hand-off and running the ball himself. This will soften the defense and open up both the running game as well as the passing game. He needs to run EARLY in the game, to show Poly that he will be a threat to run at any time. If we play scared, like we have done the past two weeks, we will lose.
I'm always on here chirping that JJ needs to run more but this is the one conference matchup where I don't think it's necessary, unless it's to move the pocket like the UCD game. He can pick this team apart with dink-n-dunks. Zone read-like stuff is not going to fool this team. They see it all day everyday. Plus, Dzub is a killer and would most likely be the one to tackle JJ. Remember the fumble in the endzone last year?

garizzalies said:
monte is a character said:
I'm always on here chirping that JJ needs to run more but this is the one conference matchup where I don't think it's necessary, unless it's to move the pocket like the UCD game. He can pick this team apart with dink-n-dunks. Zone read-like stuff is not going to fool this team. They see it all day everyday. Plus, Dzub is a killer and would most likely be the one to tackle JJ. Remember the fumble in the endzone last year?

I agree with both of your posts. I might add:

Poly is a run team. It takes a run team a LONG time to score. If UM can get out in front with a 2 score lead to force them into a passing situation, UM will win going away because the run just won't catch up fast enough. Conversely, if Poly hangs around and plays their game, the UM D will wear out and UM will lose. I really think you have to strike early with a fury to force Poly into a position they are uncomfortable with. You're going to need to get your D or special teams to force a TO early to make it happen.

Back