• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cal Poly SLO Mustangs Scouting Report

Another good scouting report, but only one sentence about the weather???

Surely we can dramatize it more than that. Perhaps it's own thread is in order?

Playing on their side of the line of scrimmage works better against any running team, be very aggressive on defense. NDSU totally destroyed Georgia Southern during the playoffs being aggressive! The pitch man was covered by a safety, hitting him every time, forcing the QB to keep with pursuit cleaning him up.

This game has more nervous than the NDSU game because I felt we could afford to lose that one as long as we kept it close. We have to beat Cal Poly, so as BW noted, I hope we have the ball on the last drive. This is also a must win for CP when you consider the rest of their schedule. It is possible the cold/rain could hurt us more than CP. I assume a pitched wet ball is easier to catch than a wet ball passed with zip on it. It will be a blessing if the Griz can practice in the rain today.

I heard on one of Stitt's many interviews that he actually played a part in the defensive gameplan for Cal Poly. Apparently he saw a few triple option teams at CSM and had success stopping them. I think we will be much better prepared this year.

brewskis said:
I heard on one of Stitt's many interviews that he actually played a part in the defensive gameplan for Cal Poly. Apparently he saw a few triple option teams at CSM and had success stopping them. I think we will be much better prepared this year.

Agreed. The guy has a great all-around football mind.

This game is a huge tell tale game as to how well rounded our defense is. I really am very confident in our pass defense, and have been since last season. I question how our run defense is? I feel if we can hold them to under 250 yards rushing, it will be a solid W for the GRIZ. If we get gashed like last season, we will have no room for error from our offense.

It will be interesting to see how the weather may impact Stitt's strategy. My hope is the GRIZ get up 14 points at some point.

mtgrizrule said:
This game is a huge tell tale game as to how well rounded our defense is. I really am very confident in our pass defense, and have been since last season. I question how our run defense is? I feel if we can hold them to under 250 yards rushing, it will be a solid W for the GRIZ. If we get gashed like last season, we will have no room for error from our offense.

It will be interesting to see how the weather may impact Stitt's strategy. My hope is the GRIZ get up 14 points at some point.

Without Kidder this could get interesting...

BWahlberg said:
mtgrizrule said:

Needless to say, Ralston has to become the beast we saw on his highlight videos. I hope he is ready for prime time. I am a huge Ralston fan, but was not expecting his time to come under this circumstance. I wonder if Stitt has an emergency plan for short yards and goal lines using a strong OL at DT for special situations. He uses Defensive guys for his goal line package on offense. If Weyer were not hurting, I'd love to see Luke blow up the middle on short yardage defense.

BWahlberg said:
mtgrizrule said:

I may be off base here, but might it be that to lose him for this game hurts less so than a game against a team that passes more, and has a more traditional run blocking technique? Part of playing against the triple option is shedding the cuts from the oline, right, so couldn't it be argued that in regard to the defensive line, size is a bit less important than speed when defending the triple option?

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
BWahlberg said:
mtgrizrule said:

I may be off base here, but might it be that to lose him for this game hurts less so than a game against a team that passes more, and has a more traditional run blocking technique? Part of playing against the triple option is shedding the cuts from the oline, right, so couldn't it be argued that in regard to the defensive line, size is a bit less important than speed when defending the triple option?

Hopefully having Gamboa and his side-to-side speed back will help soften the blow...

Here are a few players to watch that were not listed:

SB DJ Peluso:
Transfer from College of San Mateo JC. 6' 228 with a great burst of speed and good hands. He will take over for Kenny Mitchell who graduated. He had as good of camp as any CP player and will be a force blocking on the edge for Kori Garcia. Mitchell was a great blocker last year, but not much of a threat running the ball. Peluso is a big threat and a good compliment to Garcia.

Safety Kevin Griffin:
Transfer from Washington State were he played in three games with one start last season at CB as a true freshman. The kid is talented and motivated. He can cover a lot of ground and is an improvement at the position over last year. Most likely will move to CB next season.

SB/WR/KR Kyle Lewis:
One of if not the fastest players on the team. Sub 10.5 100 m and built. He will play both WR and SB and is a real home run threat. He is a real mismatch in the passing game at SB when he is covered by a LB.

SloStang said:

SB DJ Peluso:
Transfer from College of San Mateo JC. 6' 228 with a great burst of speed and good hands. He will take over for Kenny Mitchell who graduated. He had as good of camp as any CP player and will be a force blocking on the edge for Kori Garcia. Mitchell was a great blocker last year, but not much of a threat running the ball. Peluso is a big threat and a good compliment to Garcia.

Safety Kevin Griffin:
Transfer from Washington State were he played in three games with one start last season at CB as a true freshman. The kid is talented and motivated. He can cover a lot of ground and is an improvement at the position over last year. Most likely will move to CB next season.

SB/WR/KR Kyle Lewis:
One of if not the fastest players on the team. Sub 10.5 100 m and built. He will play both WR and SB and is a real home run threat. He is a real mismatch in the passing game at SB when he is covered by a LB.

Fortunately, the GRIZ have the speed of Gamboa to cover Lewis. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
SloStang said:

SB DJ Peluso:

Safety Kevin Griffin:

SB/WR/KR Kyle Lewis:

I thought he was going to spy on Brown? He is good, but he can not cover both. :)

SloStang said:
mtgrizrule said:
SloStang said:

SB DJ Peluso:

Safety Kevin Griffin:

SB/WR/KR Kyle Lewis:

I thought he was going to spy on Brown? He is good, but he can not cover both. :)

That dude is talented I heard he'd also be Garcia's shadow

SloStang said:

SB DJ Peluso:

Safety Kevin Griffin:

SB/WR/KR Kyle Lewis:
This guy will get a workout tomorrow against our passing attack, but so will our DB's and secondary against your running game! This will be a fun one.

SloStang said:
mtgrizrule said:
SloStang said:

SB DJ Peluso:

Safety Kevin Griffin:

SB/WR/KR Kyle Lewis:

With Gamboa and Yamen Sanders on the field at the same time, the GRIZ will have both addressed and accounted for quite well. This game will come down to how the defense does as a whole defending the triple option.

Latest posts

Back