• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cal Poly SLO Mustangs Scouting Report

The defense will be the big question mark for Cal Poly.....Montana proved they have a legit passing game last week. The Cal Poly secondary has a few guys who can play in Fletcher and Nard but overall that is where I have concerns. They also lost a lot from last year at LB with Dzubnar and Ontko playing in the NFL and CFL those are big shoes to fill; they have good depth just not quite the individual talent.

On Offense Cal Poly will be very solid...I think the season will show that Cal Poly will be able to put up points on anyone. I'd say there is not one aspect of this year's offense that hasn't improved over last year and last year's offense was damn good.

I have tremendous respect for Montana not only as a football program but also because they have the most passionate fans in the country. Cal Poly has their work cut out for them. I think they are capable of winning this game but winning at Montana is a very tall order.

cpalum said:
The defense will be the big question mark for Cal Poly.....Montana proved they have a legit passing game last week. The Cal Poly secondary has a few guys who can play in Fletcher and Nard but overall that is where I have concerns. They also lost a lot from last year at LB with Dzubnar and Ontko playing in the NFL and CFL those are big shoes to fill; they have good depth just not quite the individual talent.

On Offense Cal Poly will be very solid...I think the season will show that Cal Poly will be able to put up points on anyone. I'd say there is not one aspect of this year's offense that hasn't improved over last year and last year's offense was damn good.

I have tremendous respect for Montana not only as a football program but also because they have the most passionate fans in the country. Cal Poly has their work cut out for them. I think they are capable of winning this game but winning at Montana is a very tall order.

Good post. Montana and Cal Poly SLO have played some great games, closely-contested games.

Last fall CP had a good team and well-executed gameplan against the Griz. The CP running game was effective, especially the fullback dive play. On 2nd-and-long and 3rd-and-long there were several times when CP presented a passing formation and effectively out-schemed the Griz by allowing the sack-crazed defensive ends Wags and Holmes to rush upfield /outside / wide, and then turned QB Brown loose on a quarterback draw running play. There were several long CP runs for first down yardage on the quarterback draw play. They were drive-extending plays that were demoralizing for the Griz defense. I seriously hope that coach Gregorak and coach Legi Suiaunoa have a much better plan in 2015.

Remember though, this is CP's first game and the Griz's second one.
Griz will have to hit them quickly in the first quarter.

fltheadgriz said:
Remember though, this is CP's first game and the Griz's second one.
Griz will have to hit them quickly in the first quarter.
Yep. Like others have said, their offense is far from ideal for playing from behind.

EverettGriz said:
Win on first down. That's the key to being successful against the triple option. If you can get Poly in 2nd 8, 2nd and 9, you're in good shape. If they get the FB dive going for 5 yards a pop and you're looking at 2nd and 4 all day long like we were last year, you're in a dog fight. And I really, really, really hate dog fights against these guys.

Why are you plagiarizing my thread on stopping the option? :stupid:

I really think a big key defensively is to get them into 3rd and long (more than 5). 3rd and short is very tough to defend against the triple option. TOP can really become an issue. Stitts offense can't do much without the ball. Hard to get 90 plays in. My biggest concern about this game is Griz D getting off the field on 3rd down.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
EverettGriz said:
Win on first down. That's the key to being successful against the triple option. If you can get Poly in 2nd 8, 2nd and 9, you're in good shape. If they get the FB dive going for 5 yards a pop and you're looking at 2nd and 4 all day long like we were last year, you're in a dog fight. And I really, really, really hate dog fights against these guys.

Why are you plagiarizing my thread on stopping the option? :stupid:

Coach gives away his strategy and you own yours???? Did you get it copyrighted? :roll:

brewskis said:
I heard on one of Stitt's many interviews that he actually played a part in the defensive gameplan for Cal Poly. Apparently he saw a few triple option teams at CSM and had success stopping them. I think we will be much better prepared this year.

Keys to this one are the same as they were last week. Limit the CP big play, and maximize them when on O. Not a heck of a lot said about it this week, but the offense had more explosive plays in the first game than they did by week three or four last year. Not that Delaney wasn't trying to get them. Stitt has been successful @ manufacturing them.

Latest posts

Back