• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cal Poly vs. PSU

Went to the game last night, and I was completely underwhelmed. Now I understand that fans in the Portland area have Oregon and Oregon State 90-120 minutes away, but in a town of 2.5 million, PSU can't draw more than 6,700. I know there are a few initiatives to get more butts in the seats here, but if you can't do that with $2.50 Budweiser in the stadium and a ranked opponent, you are a few winning seasons away from doing it at the very least, no matter what your promotions are.

I've never known where I've fallen on the move up side of things, but if this is what the rest of the conference is like without a Montana team involved, this is not the conference I want to be associated with.

GrizPDX said:
Went to the game last night, and I was completely underwhelmed. Now I understand that fans in the Portland area have Oregon and Oregon State 90-120 minutes away, but in a town of 2.5 million, PSU can't draw more than 6,700. I know there are a few initiatives to get more butts in the seats here, but if you can't do that with $2.50 Budweiser in the stadium and a ranked opponent, you are a few winning seasons away from doing it at the very least, no matter what your promotions are.

I've never known where I've fallen on the move up side of things, but if this is what the rest of the conference is like without a Montana team involved, this is not the conference I want to be associated with.
Here is an article in teh oregonian about last nights game:

http://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/index.ssf/2013/09/cal_poly_38_portland_state_34.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PORTLAND -- Chris Brown threw two touchdown passes to help Cal Poly score 24 straight second-half points and the Mustangs beat Portland State 38-34 on Thursday night in the Big Sky opener for both teams.

Brown was 6 of 18 for 87 yards and ran for 129 yards on 21 carries. Big Sky rushing leader Kristaan Ivory ran for 184 yards and a touchdown in 32 attempts for the Mustangs (2-2).

Down 21-7 at the half, Cal Poly tied it in the third quarter on Chris Nicholls' 18-yard touchdown run and Brown's 14-yard scoring pass to Kori Garcia. The Mustangs took the lead early in the fourth on Bobby Zalud's 32-yard field goal and made it 31-21 on Brown's 54-yard touchdown pass to Akaninyene Umoh.

Portland State (3-2) ended the run with Kieran McDonagh's 57-yard TD pass to Victor Dean, but Brown countered with a 1-yard scoring run.

McDonagh threw an 11-yard touchdown pass to Dean with 1:44 to go. Marcus Kinsella missed the extra point and Cal Poly was able to run out the clock for the victory.

McDonagh was 16 of 32 for 302 yards and four touchdowns, and D.J. Adams led the Vikings in rushing with 126 yards on 25 carries.

--The Associated Press
If the Portland paper can't even send a beat reporter over to cover the game why should anybody in Portland care about the game.

I've lived in the Portland area for 33 years and even have recent PSU grads in my group. They care more about the Ducks and Beavers than they do about their own team. It is such a huge shadow that I almost pity PSU.

Well... after that experience (went to the game), all I can say is that us Montana fans have it good. Nothing beats Wa-Griz and the pitiful crowd last night was very dissapointing. This PSU team has the talent to really be a power in this conference, but it lacks the focus needed to effectively execute on both sides of the ball. An Illegal Substitution penalty on 4th and 1! It made me sick. A guy in front of me was yelling something about how ebarrassing that is.

As for the Oregonian, people care about the Ducks and the Beavers, this city could care less about PSU. The Oregonian will not cover a team that will not improve its readership (even when the stadium is within sight of the Oregonian's offices). It is sad. So much potential not being realized because no one cares, and so it would seem, neither does the PSU football team.

PSU is in major shadow of UO and OSU. However I just bet if PSU played in FBS and hosted WSU, UO and OSU and even teams like WYO, Fresno, Nevada etc Geldwen Stadium would be rocking. I would imagine UO and OSU alum would love a game in PDX.

The only time I have ever seen Geldwen decent attendance wise is when the Griz are I'm town.

I think PDX and the state of Oregon could easily. Support 3 FBS programs

GrizMusician said:
Surprise... another PSU penalty.
Was researching something else but saw these stats.

Both teams got a little hot (not a good "hot") in this one. Each team had 11 penalties, and the total penalty yards were 202 (110 CP, 92 for PSU).

But, in case you're wondering, PSU again leads the parade in penalties as of now: 474 yards from 51 penalties (five games, so nearly 95 yard/game). The next nearest is ISU with 400 yards from 40 (fours games, so 100 per ... higher in per-game).

No Colorado has lost only 188 yards from 25 penalties (five games). The Griz are second at 207 yards from 24 penalties (about 52 yards per game).

Here's an interesting point. CP racked up over half their penalty yards in the PSU game. Even after that blow-up, their total for the year is right behind the Griz at 212 yards on 23 penalties. Hopefully, the Griz can react in a more disciplined way than CP did to the PSU tactics.

Back