• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coaches on the Recruiting Trail

VimSince03 said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
VimSince03 said:
get'em_griz said:
Why the hell wasn't he wearing his green hat?!

Hard to find him without the green hat...

raw

Same with you (Kane Ioane)...

Red hats only! #TrumpsAmerica

Kane%20Ioane%20Scoreboard%20staring_0.jpg

:lol: :thumb:

San Jose St commit coming to check out the Griz. 6'6 280 lb tackle

[tweet]https://twitter.com/payton_stoner/status/806536563731537920[/tweet]

Relax on recruiting young Montanans for Da GRIZ: thus far, we have 8 commitments from young Montana players and The Shi##y Kitties have four. Some of you wouldn't be happy if you were shot with a new gun !

And while Vim has most of the Booobcat recruits ranked ahead of ours, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," with all due respect to him.

Plus with our four scholarships back for this class--that could mean 4-16 more athletes on signing day, we should start to rapidly refill our quiver.

I did wonder if Coach Green has some eligibility left ? It looks like Coach Germer has him bulking up for the O line !!! :shock: (Coach Green is a great Griz and we are blessed to have him as our running backs coach and recruiting coordinator !!!)

billingsgriz said:
Relax on recruiting young Montanans for Da GRIZ: thus far, we have 8 commitments from young Montana players and The Shi##y Kitties have four. Some of you wouldn't be happy if you were shot with a new gun !

And while Vim has most of the Booobcat recruits ranked ahead of ours, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," with all due respect to him.

Plus with our four scholarships back for this class--that could mean 4-16 more athletes on signing day, we should start to rapidly refill our quiver.

I did wonder if Coach Green has some eligibility left ? It looks like Coach Germer has him bulking up for the O line !!! :shock: (Coach Green is a great Griz and we are blessed to have him as our running backs coach and recruiting coordinator !!!)

We have 5 actually. :thumb:

And you can say "Bobcat recruits are ahead of Griz recruits" all you want but those kids were ranked that way prior to them committing to the Cats or Griz. With all due respect to you, would you rather have me rank every Griz recruit ahead of every Bobcat recruit just because?

I'll end with this. Since I started to rank Montana recruits, the best player I have seen on film is Colin Bingham...and he is a Griz. I ranked Jesse Sims ahead of him in 2015 because would you want to be the guy that ranked any Montana kid below Jesse Sims that year?

Vim I do think your ranking are fairly accurate and its clear you put some time in watching the kids involved. It is also somewhat true that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," coach's in the same room often have a widely differing views on a kid. Also often times it is not very Hard to gauge where the top Montana kids are leaning, and most of the top kids (your list) were long before your list was developed considered to be leaning msu. Just like next year when the #1 player on your list (this is a guess but lets just say it's not real close in my mind) will be a heavy Griz lean. All this being said what I hear around the state is that Choate came in and has made recruiting Montana his #1 priority, this may not be the same view that Stitt has.

Stitt could really use some performance incentives to kick in so he could hire a fashion consultant. The Dude just doesn't have a real good look. The only place those shoes should be worn is back to the return line at K-Mart providing they actually do returns for stuff from the clearance aisle.

227GRIZ said:
Vim I do think your ranking are fairly accurate and its clear you put some time in watching the kids involved. It is also somewhat true that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," coach's in the same room often have a widely differing views on a kid. Also often times it is not very Hard to gauge where the top Montana kids are leaning, and most of the top kids (your list) were long before your list was developed considered to be leaning msu. Just like next year when the #1 player on your list (this is a guess but lets just say it's not real close in my mind) will be a heavy Griz lean. All this being said what I hear around the state is that Choate came in and has made recruiting Montana his #1 priority, this may not be the same view that Stitt has.

Top 5 2018 Montana kids (Early):

1) WR/DB Gabe Sulser - Billings Senior
2) OL/DL Conor Quick - Helena Capital
3) RB Drew Turner - Kalispell Glacier
4) TE Max Morris - Helena High
5) WR Easton Hatfield - Townsend

I'll let you guys figure out where they are "leaning" since you think it has such a big impact on my rankings early in the process.

sdk.catfish said:
Stitt could really use some performance incentives to kick in so he could hire a fashion consultant. The Dude just doesn't have a real good look. The only place those shoes should be worn is back to the return line at K-Mart providing they actually do returns for stuff from the clearance aisle.

Sweet another bobcat fan on a Griz board. At least offer something of substance like Vim and....well that's about it.

VimSince03 said:
227GRIZ said:

I'll let you guys figure out where they are "leaning" since you think it has such a big impact on my rankings early in the process.
Haven't watched tape on Drew, Max, or Easton....but damn Sulser and Quick are impressive. Would be huge gets for either school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VimSince03 said:
227GRIZ said:

Don't let em pick on ya Vim. You are about the most level headed poster on here from the cats or Griz side. I know you put a ton of work into this stuff and your rankings are often early and very fair. There is no one else from either side who takes the time and effort to review, watch film, and research 100 MT kids, let alone try to then rank them accordingly. I for one am very happy you do it and I love the recruiting aspect of all this, too.

HookedonGriz said:
VimSince03 said:
227GRIZ said:

Don't let em pick on ya Vim. You are about the most level headed poster on here from the cats or Griz side. I know you put a ton of work into this stuff and your rankings are often early and very fair. There is no one else from either side who takes the time and effort to review, watch film, and research 100 MT kids, let alone try to then rank them accordingly. I for one am very happy you do it and I love the recruiting aspect of all this, too.

:thumb:

Dear Vim, I got the Number 4 Future Boobcats off of Payton's post "Instate Recruiting Board," which is based on your 100 top Montana HS FB players. So, I know there is a #5 for your Cats, just enlighten us and tell us who it is.

And I don't doubt at all that you ranked these kids before they committed to either school, and I appreciate your hard work and dedication--someone needs to fricking pay you for all of your hard, excellent work !!!

But, these rankings are often "Beauty is In The Eye of The Beholder," as 227 said--two coaches can have widely varying views and see different strengths and weaknesses in the same kid.

Two real-life examples: Tanner Roderick was a stud for The Bozeman Hawks, winning The Gatorade POY in both football and basketball in 2010-11, leading Bozeman to their first state football title in almost 100 years--1917.

He was a stud and slam-dunk to be a star at the next level at Nevada and then MSU except he wasn't.
One of his older teammates at Bozeman High was named Brock Coyle, and while Brock received critical acclaim in high school, he was no Tanner Roderick

And yet Tanner is now watching Brock play on Sundays--when he isn''t hurt--for the Seattle Seahawks in The NFL, and Brock isn't watching Tanner play any more.

And Matt Miller was a stud WR for Helena Capital, a Montana Gatorade POY in 2009, a year before Roderick would receive the same honor, and unlike Roderick, a bona fide college star at Boise State. Yet he didn't have the break away speed for The NFL and also experienced some unfortunate injuries. I am sure he is a fine young coach for MSU.

Tim Hauck, Marc Mariani and Colt Anderson were no one's Gatorade POY, they had no big offers upon high school graduation, and were largely recruited by Frontier Conference schools and were lowly walk-ons at UM.

And yet all three believed in themselves, had tremendous work ethics to go with their largely hidden athletic talents and Tyler and Matt watched Tim Hauck in The NFL and still they watch Colt and Marc play on Sundays--these football ugly ducklings blossomed into GRIZ, Packers, Broncos, 49'ers, Colts, Eagles, Bears and Titans and far surpassed the football careers of these far more critically acclaimed former Montana Gatorade POY's.

Thus, I do think your rankings have some validity as long as we realize some high school studs will be duds at the next level in college, including the supposedly best high school player in the state !!!

Callahan O'Reilly #20 on Vim's list committed to MSU today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vim wasn't trying to be critical of the work you do at all, just pointing out that opinions can vary widely. Great job on your #1 for next year I don't see how it could be anyone else. Quick is also a hell of a football player, and from all accounts a great kid as well.

billingsgriz said:
Dear Vim, I got the Number 4 Future Boobcats off of Payton's post "Instate Recruiting Board," which is based on your 100 top Montana HS FB players. So, I know there is a #5 for your Cats, just enlighten us and tell us who it is.

And I don't doubt at all that you ranked these kids before they committed to either school, and I appreciate your hard work and dedication--someone needs to fricking pay you for all of your hard, excellent work !!!

But, these rankings are often "Beauty is In The Eye of The Beholder," as 227 said--two coaches can have widely varying views and see different strengths and weaknesses in the same kid.

Two real-life examples: Tanner Roderick was a stud for The Bozeman Hawks, winning The Gatorade POY in both football and basketball in 2010-11, leading Bozeman to their first state football title in almost 100 years--1917.

He was a stud and slam-dunk to be a star at the next level at Nevada and then MSU except he wasn't.
One of his older teammates at Bozeman High was named Brock Coyle, and while Brock received critical acclaim in high school, he was no Tanner Roderick

And yet Tanner is now watching Brock play on Sundays--when he isn''t hurt--for the Seattle Seahawks in The NFL, and Brock isn't watching Tanner play any more.

And Matt Miller was a stud WR for Helena Capital, a Montana Gatorade POY in 2009, a year before Roderick would receive the same honor, and unlike Roderick, a bona fide college star at Boise State. Yet he didn't have the break away speed for The NFL and also experienced some unfortunate injuries. I am sure he is a fine young coach for MSU.

Tim Hauck, Marc Mariani and Colt Anderson were no one's Gatorade POY, they had no big offers upon high school graduation, and were largely recruited by Frontier Conference schools and were lowly walk-ons at UM.

And yet all three believed in themselves, had tremendous work ethics to go with their largely hidden athletic talents and Tyler and Matt watched Tim Hauck in The NFL and still they watch Colt and Marc play on Sundays--these football ugly ducklings blossomed into GRIZ, Packers, Broncos, 49'ers, Colts, Eagles, Bears and Titans and far surpassed the football careers of these far more critically acclaimed former Montana Gatorade POY's.

Thus, I do think your rankings have some validity as long as we realize some high school studs will be duds at the next level in college, including the supposedly best high school player in the state !!!

Awesome post, billingsgriz.

Some kids peak on natural ability in HS, and some work as young men and peak half a decade to a decade later in college and the NFL.

IntuitiveGriz said:
billingsgriz said:

Some kids peak on natural ability in HS, and some work as young men and peak half a decade to a decade later in college and the NFL.

These are good points and I agree with them. With any ranking process, there will be ones that succeed beyond expectations and ones that fail. I completely understand that but when you try to rank high school football players, I'm ranking on their body of work, accolades, tape, size, speed, strength, positional value (where they can develop in college), etc. Hindsight is also easy to talk about in this process. No one would have rated Tanner Roderick any less than the #1 recruit coming out of Montana in 2011. I think we all can agree on that.

VimSince03 said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
billingsgriz said:

These are good points and I agree with them. With any ranking process, there will be ones that succeed beyond expectations and ones that fail. I completely understand that but when you try to rank high school football players, I'm ranking on their body of work, accolades, tape, size, speed, strength, positional value (where they can develop in college), etc. Hindsight is also easy to talk about in this process. No one would have rated Tanner Roderick any less than the #1 recruit coming out of Montana in 2011. I think we all can agree on that.

The challenge is rarely at or near the top of the class - although we all know some of those athletes don't fulfill their full potential. The hard part is usually in the middle. In this area it does become more subjective. Ranking is hard to do in Montana. Imagine trying in Texas, Cali, Georgia, or Florida...

VimSince03 said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
billingsgriz said:

You also can't predict injuries and changes of heart. A top prospect can burn out or get hurt. On the other end of the spectrum some players can have growth (physical and mental) spurts after high school. I think Vim gets it about as close as you can get it based on what is known.

Back