• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coaches on the Recruiting Trail

SoldierGriz said:
VimSince03 said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
billingsgriz said:
Dear Vim, I got the Number 4 Future Boobcats off of Payton's post "Instate Recruiting Board," which is based on your 100 top Montana HS FB players. So, I know there is a #5 for your Cats, just enlighten us and tell us who it is.

And I don't doubt at all that you ranked these kids before they committed to either school, and I appreciate your hard work and dedication--someone needs to fricking pay you for all of your hard, excellent work !!!

But, these rankings are often "Beauty is In The Eye of The Beholder," as 227 said--two coaches can have widely varying views and see different strengths and weaknesses in the same kid.

Two real-life examples: Tanner Roderick was a stud for The Bozeman Hawks, winning The Gatorade POY in both football and basketball in 2010-11, leading Bozeman to their first state football title in almost 100 years--1917.

He was a stud and slam-dunk to be a star at the next level at Nevada and then MSU except he wasn't.
One of his older teammates at Bozeman High was named Brock Coyle, and while Brock received critical acclaim in high school, he was no Tanner Roderick

And yet Tanner is now watching Brock play on Sundays--when he isn''t hurt--for the Seattle Seahawks in The NFL, and Brock isn't watching Tanner play any more.

And Matt Miller was a stud WR for Helena Capital, a Montana Gatorade POY in 2009, a year before Roderick would receive the same honor, and unlike Roderick, a bona fide college star at Boise State. Yet he didn't have the break away speed for The NFL and also experienced some unfortunate injuries. I am sure he is a fine young coach for MSU.

Tim Hauck, Marc Mariani and Colt Anderson were no one's Gatorade POY, they had no big offers upon high school graduation, and were largely recruited by Frontier Conference schools and were lowly walk-ons at UM.

And yet all three believed in themselves, had tremendous work ethics to go with their largely hidden athletic talents and Tyler and Matt watched Tim Hauck in The NFL and still they watch Colt and Marc play on Sundays--these football ugly ducklings blossomed into GRIZ, Packers, Broncos, 49'ers, Colts, Eagles, Bears and Titans and far surpassed the football careers of these far more critically acclaimed former Montana Gatorade POY's.

Thus, I do think your rankings have some validity as long as we realize some high school studs will be duds at the next level in college, including the supposedly best high school player in the state !!!

Awesome post, billingsgriz.

Some kids peak on natural ability in HS, and some work as young men and peak half a decade to a decade later in college and the NFL.

These are good points and I agree with them. With any ranking process, there will be ones that succeed beyond expectations and ones that fail. I completely understand that but when you try to rank high school football players, I'm ranking on their body of work, accolades, tape, size, speed, strength, positional value (where they can develop in college), etc. Hindsight is also easy to talk about in this process. No one would have rated Tanner Roderick any less than the #1 recruit coming out of Montana in 2011. I think we all can agree on that.

The challenge is rarely at or near the top of the class - although we all know some of those athletes don't fulfill their full potential. The hard part is usually in the middle. In this area it does become more subjective. Ranking is hard to do in Montana. Imagine trying in Texas, Cali, Georgia, or Florida...

Usually their is a consensus 10-20 kids but after that its basically who you think will develop or who has potential at certain positions. That's why body type and other stuff can be important when evaluating the preferred walk-on kids.

Early name for your 2019 class. Elias Waters, RB. Could have started last year as a freshman. I know it is Sentinel, but if he stays healthy, he will be really, really good. Good all around athlete.

VimSince03 said:
Top 5 2018 Montana kids (Early):

1) WR/DB Gabe Sulser - Billings Senior
2) OL/DL Conor Quick - Helena Capital
3) RB Drew Turner - Kalispell Glacier
4) TE Max Morris - Helena High
5) WR Easton Hatfield - Townsend

I'll let you guys figure out where they are "leaning" since you think it has such a big impact on my rankings early in the process.
I can't stand the suspense. Where are they gonna end up VIM?

alabamagrizzly said:
VimSince03 said:

I'll let you guys figure out where they are "leaning" since you think it has such a big impact on my rankings early in the process.

No clue. Sulser has family ties to UM and he & his family are known Griz supporters. Helena Capital has produced more Grizzly than Bobcat players over the years but we still get our share of Bruins. Kalispell Glacier has been a hotspot for Bobcat recruiting but Stitt has yet to land that Montana-born running back yet so one would think the Griz would be all-in on Turner. Morris and Hatfield are just a few of a handful of kids that could/should be considered top prospects. In my mind, Sulser-Quick-Turner are the Big 3 next year.

Although we don't know who will commit this year, but looking at this year's RB recruits Stitt is after I am not sure Montana high school kids would stand a great chance. He has some serious studs with speed on his wishlist. Sulser though....he is a no brainer if possible

IntuitiveGriz said:
billingsgriz said:
Dear Vim, I got the Number 4 Future Boobcats off of Payton's post "Instate Recruiting Board," which is based on your 100 top Montana HS FB players. So, I know there is a #5 for your Cats, just enlighten us and tell us who it is.

And I don't doubt at all that you ranked these kids before they committed to either school, and I appreciate your hard work and dedication--someone needs to fricking pay you for all of your hard, excellent work !!!

But, these rankings are often "Beauty is In The Eye of The Beholder," as 227 said--two coaches can have widely varying views and see different strengths and weaknesses in the same kid.

Two real-life examples: Tanner Roderick was a stud for The Bozeman Hawks, winning The Gatorade POY in both football and basketball in 2010-11, leading Bozeman to their first state football title in almost 100 years--1917.

He was a stud and slam-dunk to be a star at the next level at Nevada and then MSU except he wasn't.
One of his older teammates at Bozeman High was named Brock Coyle, and while Brock received critical acclaim in high school, he was no Tanner Roderick

And yet Tanner is now watching Brock play on Sundays--when he isn''t hurt--for the Seattle Seahawks in The NFL, and Brock isn't watching Tanner play any more.

And Matt Miller was a stud WR for Helena Capital, a Montana Gatorade POY in 2009, a year before Roderick would receive the same honor, and unlike Roderick, a bona fide college star at Boise State. Yet he didn't have the break away speed for The NFL and also experienced some unfortunate injuries. I am sure he is a fine young coach for MSU.

Tim Hauck, Marc Mariani and Colt Anderson were no one's Gatorade POY, they had no big offers upon high school graduation, and were largely recruited by Frontier Conference schools and were lowly walk-ons at UM.

And yet all three believed in themselves, had tremendous work ethics to go with their largely hidden athletic talents and Tyler and Matt watched Tim Hauck in The NFL and still they watch Colt and Marc play on Sundays--these football ugly ducklings blossomed into GRIZ, Packers, Broncos, 49'ers, Colts, Eagles, Bears and Titans and far surpassed the football careers of these far more critically acclaimed former Montana Gatorade POY's.

Thus, I do think your rankings have some validity as long as we realize some high school studs will be duds at the next level in college, including the supposedly best high school player in the state !!!

Awesome post, billingsgriz.

Some kids peak on natural ability in HS, and some work as young men and peak half a decade to a decade later in college and the NFL.

Good posts, and the very reason I am still waiting on that call from the NBA.

Ursus1 said:
Although we don't know who will commit this year, but looking at this year's RB recruits Stitt is after I am not sure Montana high school kids would stand a great chance. He has some serious studs with speed on his wishlist. Sulser though....he is a no brainer if possible
Yeah the bar is being set VERY high at RB. As it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VimSince03 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
VimSince03 said:

No clue. Sulser has family ties to UM and he & his family are known Griz supporters. Helena Capital has produced more Grizzly than Bobcat players over the years but we still get our share of Bruins. Kalispell Glacier has been a hotspot for Bobcat recruiting but Stitt has yet to land that Montana-born running back yet so one would think the Griz would be all-in on Turner. Morris and Hatfield are just a few of a handful of kids that could/should be considered top prospects. In my mind, Sulser-Quick-Turner are the Big 3 next year.

I think you left off the Over kid. And the order as I see it is Quick-Sulser-Turner-Over. Or wait, was that a chapter in Krak's book? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm sorry. That was a horrible joke. There's no Over kid. I'm just going to take a time-out and ban myself for about 15 minutes. See you guys about 9:47 :oops: :oops: :oops:

Allezchat said:
VimSince03 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
VimSince03 said:

I think you left off the Over kid. And the order as I see it is Quick-Sulser-Turner-Over. Or wait, was that a chapter in Krak's book? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm sorry. That was a horrible joke. There's no Over kid. I'm just going to take a time-out and ban myself for about 15 minutes. See you guys about 9:47 :oops: :oops: :oops:

That was actually solid work there and made me laugh

Allezchat said:
VimSince03 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
VimSince03 said:

Heh I lol'd.

Keep up the good work and we'll love you here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any word if we are getting speed at the wide receiver positions?

That is what EWU does and it seems to work fairly well.

If you can't beat them, join them. Ha

Back