• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Defense - National Stats

PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
I know that I am late to this thread but the fact is that the Griz D's stats have improved significantly in the National Ranlings. Very significantly. Sure, playing a few scrub teams may have help pad the stats this season but the Griz usually have had a few weak teams on their schedule so there is nothing new there. Under TG, the Griz never ranked above the top 50 in any one defensive category other than scoring D in 2013 I believe. I think they were 26th that year. I am sorry but if you just look at the raw numbers it's hard to argue against a rankings improvement. I do agree that the next couple of games will give the fans more of a gage on where this D is.

Here's a great example of bias impacting judgment. CV says UM in TG as DC was never in the top 50 in any one defensive category other than scoring D in 2013. Well, a quick shows the following, all of which was accomplished in what has been the top offensive conference in recent years and with being in the playoffs:

2013 - 40th in rushing defense, 28th in scoring defense, 48th in team sacks, 8th in turnovers gained, 15th in passes intercepted, 5th in fumbles recovered, 9th in red zone defense

2014 - 39th in total defense, 37th in rushing defense, 19th in scoring defense, 7th in team sacks, 29th in turnovers gained, 28th in passes intercepted, 28th in fumbles recovered, 36th in team tackles for loss, 32d in 4th down conversion defense, 13th in red zone defense

2015 - 40th in team passing defense, 5th in team sacks, 17th in turnovers gained, 30th in interceptions, 7th in fumbles recovered, 10th in 3d down conversion defense, 24th in red zone defense

Oops, guess CV missed a few of those top 50 categories.
Your metrics changed from year to year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayerRep said:
Bear Axed said:
PlayerRep said:
Bear Axed said:
And where the Hell do you get off thinking it's just fine to disregard a third of the games played so far this season in order to come up with worthless stats to justify your false opinion?

The current stats were posted. I posted the stats without the 2 recent cupcake games. I provided no opinion.

How about we bet $1,000? I say the the majority of of the current 5 rankings provided by CV will not hold up at the end of the season, i.e. that 3 or more will be below where they are now. What say you? Care to back up your post? Or, not willing to back up your view?
My view, like most others on here, is that Semore is better than twice the Coach Tyler could ever hope to be!

So, Keep posting your garbage posts with your garbage stats....and eventually you may even start believing yourself that we are all wrong..... :thumb:

We have 9 new starter on the D this year and they are playing better as a team right now.
than any of Tylers past D's

I take it that you are afraid to take the bet?
If you are going to disregard Semore's "cupcake" games then I think a good way to compare the two would be to nullify Ty's as well. Just food for thought.

brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
I know that I am late to this thread but the fact is that the Griz D's stats have improved significantly in the National Ranlings. Very significantly. Sure, playing a few scrub teams may have help pad the stats this season but the Griz usually have had a few weak teams on their schedule so there is nothing new there. Under TG, the Griz never ranked above the top 50 in any one defensive category other than scoring D in 2013 I believe. I think they were 26th that year. I am sorry but if you just look at the raw numbers it's hard to argue against a rankings improvement. I do agree that the next couple of games will give the fans more of a gage on where this D is.

Here's a great example of bias impacting judgment. CV says UM in TG as DC was never in the top 50 in any one defensive category other than scoring D in 2013. Well, a quick shows the following, all of which was accomplished in what has been the top offensive conference in recent years and with being in the playoffs:

2013 - 40th in rushing defense, 28th in scoring defense, 48th in team sacks, 8th in turnovers gained, 15th in passes intercepted, 5th in fumbles recovered, 9th in red zone defense

2014 - 39th in total defense, 37th in rushing defense, 19th in scoring defense, 7th in team sacks, 29th in turnovers gained, 28th in passes intercepted, 28th in fumbles recovered, 36th in team tackles for loss, 32d in 4th down conversion defense, 13th in red zone defense

2015 - 40th in team passing defense, 5th in team sacks, 17th in turnovers gained, 30th in interceptions, 7th in fumbles recovered, 10th in 3d down conversion defense, 24th in red zone defense

Oops, guess CV missed a few of those top 50 categories.
Your metrics changed from year to year.

Nope. CV said UM had been ranked in the top 50 of defensive stats only once, and I proved him to be completely wrong, by listing a bunch of top 50 rankings. You need to read and think before you post.

brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:
Bear Axed said:
PlayerRep said:
The current stats were posted. I posted the stats without the 2 recent cupcake games. I provided no opinion.

How about we bet $1,000? I say the the majority of of the current 5 rankings provided by CV will not hold up at the end of the season, i.e. that 3 or more will be below where they are now. What say you? Care to back up your post? Or, not willing to back up your view?
My view, like most others on here, is that Semore is better than twice the Coach Tyler could ever hope to be!

So, Keep posting your garbage posts with your garbage stats....and eventually you may even start believing yourself that we are all wrong..... :thumb:

We have 9 new starter on the D this year and they are playing better as a team right now.

If you are going to disregard Semore's "cupcake" games then I think a good way to compare the two would be to nullify Ty's as well. Just food for thought.

Nope, didn't disregard or nullify anything. Just calculated the rankings after week 4, and then again after week 6, to show how much the Griz D improved in those 5 categories over that 2 week period of time. Amazing improvement, don't you think?

Do you want to take my bet on whether UM continues to have those good rankings in those 5 categories at the end of the season?

Phil Simms said it best, in an age of stats everyone uses stats. However in football, stats don't tell the story. You have to see the games and understand what's going on to access accurately. He also mentioned people who put too much weight on football stats are fools. As per Thursday night telecast.

UM has coaching staff that is doing quite well, that's what is important. Unfortunately Ty's D this year will get to experience this soon.

PlayerRep said:
brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:
Bear Axed said:

Nope, didn't disregard or nullify anything. Just calculated the rankings after week 4, and then again after week 6, to show how much the Griz D improved in those 5 categories over that 2 week period of time. Amazing improvement, don't you think?

Do you want to take my bet on whether UM continues to have those good rankings in those 5 categories at the end of the season?
That would be a ridiculous bet to take. And anyone with the money to take it is smart enough to know that that isn't going to happen. It's not because of the quality of defense either, it's the strength of our opponents.

Eastern will get their points, and if we keep them under 40 I would consider that a good performance by our defense. Not sure what to think about NAU....good offense but not really high flying without Case.

garizzalies said:
Why don't you offer to bet that those 5 stats do not end up being higher than last year's?
I was thinking about that too. Would need to look at the way we finished last season. A much better defined line in the sand.

garizzalies said:
Why don't you offer to bet that those 5 stats do not end up being higher than last year's?

Montana's schedule appears to be considerably easier this year compared to last year, so I hope most of the stats improve this year. UNI instead of NDSU; MVS instead of Liberty; SS instead of Davis; No PSU (of last year's top quality) but SU (good but not as good as PSU last year); EWU better but MSU worse, a push; SDS and NDSU in playoffs last year (we'll see what UM draws this year).

Want to bet on whether the current UM defensive rankings hold up for the season? That was the discussion.

Diesel said:
Phil Simms said it best, in an age of stats everyone uses stats. However in football, stats don't tell the story. You have to see the games and understand what's going on to access accurately. He also mentioned people who put too much weight on football stats are fools. As per Thursday night telecast.

UM has coaching staff that is doing quite well, that's what is important. Unfortunately Ty's D this year will get to experience this soon.

I agree with some of this, but stats are one part of evaluation. And why do are some of these jokers crowing about the current UM stats, right after 2 blowout games against really bad teams? Do you think the current rankings will hold up?

Diesel said:

Tyler and Choke will not enjoy Stitt & Semore

Ever notice that when confronted with clear facts/argument, Donald Trump doubles down, focuses on obscure issues that are not even relevant to the topic, claims he is winning even tho everyone clearly knows he is not, becomes even more isolated as even his own friends don't stand up to support him, tries to use money to impress/out muscle, and says goofy shit like, "that's never been my problem"?

PlayerRep said:
Diesel said:

I agree with some of this, but stats are one part of evaluation. And why do are some of these jokers crowing about the current UM stats, right after 2 blowout games against really bad teams? Do you think the current rankings will hold up?

I'd rather see positive posts about UM even if they are biased. I'm not tied to the stats, many bad teams have some good stats to hang their hat on. I'd rather be a fan of a good team that wins with poor stats that the losers can say...well we have better stats. Road to Frisco has alluded this program for too long, I'm drinking the Kool-Aid with Stitt and staff and liking it. Don't care about the numbers.

PR the answer to last question is...odds are good that entire season stats and rankings will balance out. Banged up NAU, ISU, NC, MSU will probably cause a continuation of the inflated stats. EWU will obviously balance some of the cupcake opponent stats. With this remaining schedule it would not surprise me to see current stats at the end of the regular season.

brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:
brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:

That would be a ridiculous bet to take. And anyone with the money to take it is smart enough to know that that isn't going to happen. It's not because of the quality of defense either, it's the strength of our opponents.

Eastern will get their points, and if we keep them under 40 I would consider that a good performance by our defense. Not sure what to think about NAU....good offense but not really high flying without Case.

Glad you admit my point about strength of opponents, i.e. that the current nice defensive stats aren't meaningful, and won't hold up, due to the low quality of the last 2 opponents. Why couldn't you just admit that earlier?

HelenaHandBasket said:
Seriously, why is anyone trying to have an unbiased discussion about this with PR?

Why would anyone expect to have an unbiased discussion with members of the Troll Brigade like yourself? That is the question.

Diesel said:
PR the answer to last question is...odds are good that entire season stats and rankings will balance out. Banged up NAU, ISU, NC, MSU will probably cause a continuation of the inflated stats. EWU will obviously balance some of the cupcake opponent stats. With this remaining schedule it would not surprise me to see current stats at the end of the regular season.

NAU is a good team, still. NC is a pretty good team this year. Not sure MSU will end up being a total pushover. The current high stat rankings will go south in a big way. That doesn't matter to me, except it will prove what I have been saying in this thread, i.e. that the current high rankings are inflated and not meaningful.

Back