• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Defense - National Stats

PlayerRep said:
Diesel said:
PR the answer to last question is...odds are good that entire season stats and rankings will balance out. Banged up NAU, ISU, NC, MSU will probably cause a continuation of the inflated stats. EWU will obviously balance some of the cupcake opponent stats. With this remaining schedule it would not surprise me to see current stats at the end of the regular season.

NAU is a good team, still. NC is a pretty good team this year. Not sure MSU will end up being a total pushover. The current high stat rankings will go south in a big way. That doesn't matter to me, except it will prove what I have been saying in this thread, i.e. that the current high rankings are inflated and not meaningful.

Got it. NAU although Sourer's and staff will have team pumped up, they got some problems. I would think there is a better chance of UM O slumping than D giving up big stats against NAU. Even MSU kept their O in check, NAU D was the difference. Tomorrow will tell. I'll be on the bandwagon with the fans that are proud of what is happening with Stitt's team. The wins are great, but the overall success of righting the ship has been even better. UM has a team that fans can be proud of. From the posts not everyone is happy, that's cool...mutiny usually happens when things are too quiet.

bhumble said:
the big bad D isn't working so well against NAU. :lol:

Have given up 31, 372 yards, and 9.3 yards per play, so far (13:04 of 3d). Kemp down to 12-24 but 4 TD's. Rating down to 179.2. Edit: 38 points, and 397 yards. QB still at 50%. Edit: 45 and 441. 5 to go in 3d. Edit: the NAU stat tracker is goofy, keep going up and down, now done, maybe the NAU offense yard stats are too high

Bad fumble. No great discipline on penalties.

Good thing Griz have JR back, or the Griz would be down a few more TD's.

Think NAU is better than SS and MVS. There go those great stats. If Griz start playing better, they came come back and win.

Looks like even this year's team isn't always prepared at the snap. Bummer. Dont' know how the refs didn't get the time out call.

45 points is way more than the Griz gave up last season. NAU got 14 points last year, and 13 first downs. 20 tonight.

Haha, give it up.....PlayerRep wins hands down, and it appears as though ty Gregoraks defense does as well. I too thought that semores D seemed to be better, but thus far it looks like ty is as good/better than semore.......what is troublesome about this game to me is it exemplifies those aspects of stitts Griz that many have been pointing out that so many of us, myself included, want to deny; these griz are NOT the griz of old!!!! They cannot dominate the middle of the pack fcs schools much less the top programs and will likely never do so. The offense vs a halfway serviceable defense is stagnant and painful to watch.....at least with a QB that is immobile and perhaps incapable of keeping defenses honest. I could go on bitching forever. This griz team stacked up against any hauck led team 2005-2009 would be absolutely f***ed in the a**. How's that for sugar coating??!!! Good night, and congrats PR for calling it #ANGRY #dontknoworcarehowhashtagswork #stittandcoshouldstayofftwitterandfocusonfootball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Griz defense and I like Semore. Not as much in parts of the CP game and the first half of the NAU game. They will learn from the game today. They will get better. This includes the players and Semore. There is much to be excited about. Keep the faith. This game will help Semore and the players prepare better for EWU. My view, from afar, is more zone. I truly believe that if UM hadn't had JR today, it would have been much worse. He will be even better next week.

PlayerRep said:
I like the Griz defense and I like Semore. Not as much in parts of the CP game and the first half of the NAU game. They will learn from the game today. They will get better. This includes the players and Semore. There is much to be excited about. Keep the faith. This game will help Semore and the players prepare better for EWU. My view, from afar, is more zone. I truly believe that if UM hadn't had JR today, it would have been much worse. He will be even better next week.
I also saw positives tonight. Our streak of three consecutive games missing two extra point kicks was ended. We only missed one.

CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
I know that I am late to this thread but the fact is that the Griz D's stats have improved significantly in the National Ranlings. Very significantly. Sure, playing a few scrub teams may have help pad the stats this season but the Griz usually have had a few weak teams on their schedule so there is nothing new there. Under TG, the Griz never ranked above the top 50 in any one defensive category other than scoring D in 2013 I believe. I think they were 26th that year. I am sorry but if you just look at the raw numbers it's hard to argue against a rankings improvement. I do agree that the next couple of games will give the fans more of a gage on where this D is.

Here's a great example of bias impacting judgment. CV says UM in TG as DC was never in the top 50 in any one defensive category other than scoring D in 2013. Well, a quick shows the following, all of which was accomplished in what has been the top offensive conference in recent years and with being in the playoffs:

2013 - 40th in rushing defense, 28th in scoring defense, 48th in team sacks, 8th in turnovers gained, 15th in passes intercepted, 5th in fumbles recovered, 9th in red zone defense

2014 - 39th in total defense, 37th in rushing defense, 19th in scoring defense, 7th in team sacks, 29th in turnovers gained, 28th in passes intercepted, 28th in fumbles recovered, 36th in team tackles for loss, 32d in 4th down conversion defense, 13th in red zone defense

2015 - 40th in team passing defense, 5th in team sacks, 17th in turnovers gained, 30th in interceptions, 7th in fumbles recovered, 10th in 3d down conversion defense, 24th in red zone defense

Oops, guess CV missed a few of those top 50 categories.

Well I guess we now know why you went into B-Law. Your trial skills/instincts are dull. You took the bait councilor. Given your tendency to cherry pick, inflate and choose the obscure stats, one had to assume that you'd "spit shine" your best numbers.....now explain how the 2016 Griz D's results on measurables that most people care about aren't significantly better than your nonsense

Total D 14th
Passing D 15th
Run D 28th
Scoring D 17th
Yards per game 11th

I read some where that TG's teams where ranked in the top 20 vs lefty QBs in 2013. You forget that meaningless stat.....LOL

CV, how are your 5 defensive stats for UM looking now?

As of now:

Total D - 38th
Passing D - 68th
Run D - 29th
Scoring D - tied for 53d

Not sure what yards per game is, if not Total D.

PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
I know that I am late to this thread but the fact is that the Griz D's stats have improved significantly in the National Ranlings. Very significantly. Sure, playing a few scrub teams may have help pad the stats this season but the Griz usually have had a few weak teams on their schedule so there is nothing new there. Under TG, the Griz never ranked above the top 50 in any one defensive category other than scoring D in 2013 I believe. I think they were 26th that year. I am sorry but if you just look at the raw numbers it's hard to argue against a rankings improvement. I do agree that the next couple of games will give the fans more of a gage on where this D is.

Here's a great example of bias impacting judgment. CV says UM in TG as DC was never in the top 50 in any one defensive category other than scoring D in 2013. Well, a quick shows the following, all of which was accomplished in what has been the top offensive conference in recent years and with being in the playoffs:

2013 - 40th in rushing defense, 28th in scoring defense, 48th in team sacks, 8th in turnovers gained, 15th in passes intercepted, 5th in fumbles recovered, 9th in red zone defense

2014 - 39th in total defense, 37th in rushing defense, 19th in scoring defense, 7th in team sacks, 29th in turnovers gained, 28th in passes intercepted, 28th in fumbles recovered, 36th in team tackles for loss, 32d in 4th down conversion defense, 13th in red zone defense

2015 - 40th in team passing defense, 5th in team sacks, 17th in turnovers gained, 30th in interceptions, 7th in fumbles recovered, 10th in 3d down conversion defense, 24th in red zone defense

Oops, guess CV missed a few of those top 50 categories.

Well I guess we now know why you went into B-Law. Your trial skills/instincts are dull. You took the bait councilor. Given your tendency to cherry pick, inflate and choose the obscure stats, one had to assume that you'd "spit shine" your best numbers.....now explain how the 2016 Griz D's results on measurables that most people care about aren't significantly better than your nonsense

Total D 14th
Passing D 15th
Run D 28th
Scoring D 17th
Yards per game 11th

I read some where that TG's teams where ranked in the top 20 vs lefty QBs in 2013. You forget that meaningless stat.....LOL

CV, how are your 5 defensive stats for UM looking now?

As of now:

Total D - 38th
Passing D - 68th
Run D - 29th
Scoring D - tied for 53d

Not sure what yards per game is, if not Total D.

Certainly not as good as earlier in the season. Let's see
how they end up.... we'll see how they stack up against your boy's run at season's end.....Run D looks pretty good but Pass D has been a problem of late but will never be as bad as TG's 2012 ranking of like 114 in the nation.....

I think the Griz ran into QBs who could pass. And O schemes that moved to max protect so the pass rush doesn't get home as often.

'68griz said:
Our pass defense has absolutely vanished. What has happened?

UM has given up 259, 381 and 361 passing, and 12 passing TD's, in the last 3 games. 1001 yards, or 334 per game. If 334 were the team's season average, which it is not (it's 229), that would be the second worst average in the nation. UM is giving up 14.83 yards per completion in all games. I believe that's the worst in the nation. Oops. 21 passing TD's given up is tied for 10th worst in the nation.

PDXGrizzly said:
I think the Griz ran into QBs who could pass. And O schemes that moved to max protect so the pass rush doesn't get home as often.

This is certainly part of it, if not a big part.

PlayerRep said:
PDXGrizzly said:

This is certainly part of it, if not a big part.

NAU cracked it, others have followed it, Griz have struggled to adjust.

Back