• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Engstrom stepping down

HelenaHandBasket said:
SoldierGriz said:
What impact does this have on Stitt's extension that is sitting with the BOR? Anyone?

My guess would be zero.

I would hope the BOR would postpone making major decisions requested by Engstrom until his replacement is hired. That includes any extension for Stitt. Why saddle the new administrations with issues created by Engstrom?

There is a LOT going extremely well at UM right now. Better than ever, actually.

But you simply cannot overlook the enrollment problems. A change was needed, even if just for public perception reasons.

For those that are ecstatic about this, be careful what you wish for. Contrary to posts of those on here with no knowledge, Royce was a tremendous supporter and defender of Griz athletics. That's unlikely to be the case with the new president. I would fully expect we may well see a decrease in funding and support of athletics under the new president.

Whatever you feel about President Engstrom, there will never be another first family at UM with more grace and class than Royce and Mary. Ultimately they will be viewed positively by history for all they've accomplished on campus.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
SoldierGriz said:
What impact does this have on Stitt's extension that is sitting with the BOR? Anyone?

My guess would be zero.

I would hope the BOR would postpone making major decisions requested by Engstrom until his replacement is hired. That includes any extension for Stitt. Why saddle the new administrations with issues created by Engstrom?

Agree, but not sure what this BOR will do. They should hold it and give the new President time to make an assessment - about a year should be adequate.

Counter Assault said:
grizpack said:
Maybe we can get our boosters to double the pay that Waded Cruzado is getting from MSU and get her to transfer?? :)

She wouldn't touch that dumpster fire.

True but primarily because of her experiences of the smoldering trash heap where she is now.

So now that Engstrom is stepping down, what if Pflugrad came back to be offensive coordinator to work with Stitt, which would allow Stitt to focus on being head coach? Then when Stitt gets a job offer from a bigger program, Pflu would then have the ability to take back the head coaching spot.

I know... pipe dream. But this news is just so good! :clap:

Historically, his era in the University's history will be its darkest. And, the darkest time is just before dawn. I am now excited about the future!

The University of Montana deserves better!

Blgs Griz Fan said:
Counter Assault said:
grizpack said:
Maybe we can get our boosters to double the pay that Waded Cruzado is getting from MSU and get her to transfer?? :)

True but primarily because of her experiences of the smoldering trash heap where she is now.

No wonder UM is having enrollment declines. Graduates are not educated once they leave.

Counter Assault said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
Counter Assault said:
grizpack said:

No wonder UM is having enrollment declines. Graduates are not educated once they leave.

You mean you go to college to get educated?

I don't necessarily agree with some decisions made by him. I think the firing of Robin and Jim were premature and the lack of fight against the NCAA and the feds were puzzling to me. However, in the dealings my wife and I have had with Royce and his wife Mary have been very pleasant. If you ever had the time to introduce yourself to them, they were very gracious, kind, and sincere. He always remembered who we were on each subsequent meeting. I was rooting for things to turn around, because I think he truly loved the university and was a supporter of both the academic and athletic departments.

That being said, as the leader and face of any entity, sometimes you have to fall on your sword. The buck truly does stop at the president's office and it was apparent that this was going to have to happen, just to change the mood of alumni.

So in summary. I did like Royce, but this was a change that likely needed to be made because eventually donations were going to be affected if they already weren't.

reinell30 said:
Counter Assault said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
Counter Assault said:

Education is WAY down the list of importance when it comes to UM.

get'em_griz said:
So now that Engstrom is stepping down, what if Pflugrad came back to be offensive coordinator to work with Stitt, which would allow Stitt to focus on being head coach? Then when Stitt gets a job offer from a bigger program, Pflu would then have the ability to take back the head coaching spot.

I know... pipe dream. But this news is just so good! :clap:

I don't even think this qualifies as "pipe dream".

SACCAT66 said:
reinell30 said:
Counter Assault said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

Education is WAY down the list of importance when it comes to UM.

So it is different somewhere else?

EverettGriz said:
There is a LOT going extremely well at UM right now. Better than ever, actually.

But you simply cannot overlook the enrollment problems. A change was needed, even if just for public perception reasons.

For those that are ecstatic about this, be careful what you wish for. Contrary to posts of those on here with no knowledge, Royce was a tremendous supporter and defender of Griz athletics. That's unlikely to be the case with the new president. I would fully expect we may well see a decrease in funding and support of athletics under the new president.

Whatever you feel about President Engstrom, there will never be another first family at UM with more grace and class than Royce and Mary. Ultimately they will be viewed positively by history for all they've accomplished on campus.

All very true, and despite what many Boosters think, any outside president coming in is going to put athletics under a microscope and it won't be pretty. The connection to athletics, Rape Nation, etc is more than anecdotal in regards to enrollment. The reasons Engstrom had to go, are very much the same as the reasons Pflu and O'day had to go. A new president coming in's first priority will be balancing the budget and maintaining academics. That will not bode well for athletics that rightly or wrongly is perceived by most to be the start of the problems.

Back