• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Engstrom stepping down

Jaredkuehn said:
I predict they bring in an interim "bad guy" president that will significantly cut faculty and programs over the next couple years. When the budget is balanced they'll fill the position permanently. It should be an interesting couple of years on campus.

I also think something similar to this will happen.
While I think it's good news in general, I didn't like a lot of the things Christian said at the Regents meeting about budget and priorities. Things could get worse before they get better. Just sayin'.

GrizGuy said:
Jaredkuehn said:
I predict they bring in an interim "bad guy" president that will significantly cut faculty and programs over the next couple years. When the budget is balanced they'll fill the position permanently. It should be an interesting couple of years on campus.

I also think something similar to this will happen.
While I think it's good news in general, I didn't like a lot of the things Christian said at the Regents meeting about budget and priorities. Things could get worse before they get better. Just sayin'.

The good news (or bad news depending on your perspective) is that in that process a lot of things that appear to working will be left alone while the new guy concentrates on more immediate needs. One of those areas will be athletics. Changing the head football coach in the middle of turmoil is one of them.

That is BS Dan! It should be rarity to cheer anyone's death! You shouldn't cheer for someone's death just because you don't agree with their politics or rulings! Hope you are joking.

...went to a funeral one time...
...a thousand people in attendance...
...five hundred to mourn the deceased...
...five hundred to make sure he was dead...

... :yikes: ...

grizpack said:
grizcountry420 said:
wbtfg said:
I just saw a petition circulating on facebook to hire Denise Juneau as the new president of UM.

giphy.gif

I would fall on my own sword if they did that....

Do you have an extra sword?

RobGriz said:
EverettGriz said:
For those that are ecstatic about this, be careful what you wish for. Contrary to posts of those on here with no knowledge, Royce was a tremendous supporter and defender of Griz athletics. That's unlikely to be the case with the new president. I would fully expect we may well see a decrease in funding and support of athletics under the new president.
This would be a HUGE mistake on the part of the next President. Especially to programs like football that GENERATE revenue. His first cuts should be to staff, considering the report that came out about over staffing at the U.

if this is anything like the private sector, stitt will really feel the pressure to perform next year.....it is NEVER good to lose the c.e.o. who put his stamp of approval on your hiring......the heat will be turned way up imo....

krammer said:
RobGriz said:
EverettGriz said:
For those that are ecstatic about this, be careful what you wish for. Contrary to posts of those on here with no knowledge, Royce was a tremendous supporter and defender of Griz athletics. That's unlikely to be the case with the new president. I would fully expect we may well see a decrease in funding and support of athletics under the new president.
This would be a HUGE mistake on the part of the next President. Especially to programs like football that GENERATE revenue. His first cuts should be to staff, considering the report that came out about over staffing at the U.

if this is anything like the private sector, stitt will really feel the pressure to perform next year.....it is NEVER good to lose the c.e.o. who put his stamp of approval on your hiring......the heat will be turned way up imo....

This is what I was thinking as well...BOR may act on his extension in advance of new president hire. I hope not.

SoldierGriz said:
krammer said:
RobGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

This is what I was thinking as well...BOR may act on his extension in advance of new president hire. I hope not.

In a strange way the if the BOR does extend the contract, it may be a good thing. Its a clear message to leave athletics alone. But with the new Prez not in place until July of next year way past the usual coach hiring/firing period, its going to be interesting at the least.

grizatwork said:
I don't necessarily agree with some decisions made by him. I think the firing of Robin and Jim were premature and the lack of fight against the NCAA and the feds were puzzling to me. However, in the dealings my wife and I have had with Royce and his wife Mary have been very pleasant. If you ever had the time to introduce yourself to them, they were very gracious, kind, and sincere. He always remembered who we were on each subsequent meeting. I was rooting for things to turn around, because I think he truly loved the university and was a supporter of both the academic and athletic departments.

That being said, as the leader and face of any entity, sometimes you have to fall on your sword. The buck truly does stop at the president's office and it was apparent that this was going to have to happen, just to change the mood of alumni.

So in summary. I did like Royce, but this was a change that likely needed to be made because eventually donations were going to be affected if they already weren't.

For those basking on the piling on moment, the glee will soon be replaced by the reality of replacing a president mid stream. I recall the dearth of 'qualified' candidates actually wanting this post. It won't be easy to attract even mid level talent and experience!

Indeed the challenges faced by Royce soon engulfed him re the resources available to him, (scant financials, downward trend in non stem institutions, student retention, etc...)
I don't see much glee with the prospect of diminishing legislative support and a BOR that seems a bit reluctant to push UM's agenda.

This is way bigger than an athletic agenda, as it appears that national political trends bash traditional education as most of us knew it.

I am a UM guy from way back, I am very concerned about the viability of my school, the same school that educated my kids too. If this institution does not survive, nothing else going on there really matters.

In the last 3 months...

Cubs win

Trump wins

U of M wins (I hope)

A perfect storm?

This will be a memorable year.

Sheila is a great hire as an interim. I've known her for 30 years and she loves and cares about UM. She is also a big Griz fan. I went to grad school with her in the early eighties. Great person and educator.

info said:
Sheila is a great hire as an interim. I've known her for 30 years and she loves and cares about UM. She is also a big Griz fan. I went to grad school with her in the early eighties. Great person and educator.
Yes but does she "love the [University of Montana]" and is she "going to make it great again"? Any candidate needs to practice those lines. It seemed to work pretty good for the last person that used them...

first11 said:
grizatwork said:
I don't necessarily agree with some decisions made by him. I think the firing of Robin and Jim were premature and the lack of fight against the NCAA and the feds were puzzling to me. However, in the dealings my wife and I have had with Royce and his wife Mary have been very pleasant. If you ever had the time to introduce yourself to them, they were very gracious, kind, and sincere. He always remembered who we were on each subsequent meeting. I was rooting for things to turn around, because I think he truly loved the university and was a supporter of both the academic and athletic departments.

That being said, as the leader and face of any entity, sometimes you have to fall on your sword. The buck truly does stop at the president's office and it was apparent that this was going to have to happen, just to change the mood of alumni.

So in summary. I did like Royce, but this was a change that likely needed to be made because eventually donations were going to be affected if they already weren't.

For those basking on the piling on moment, the glee will soon be replaced by the reality of replacing a president mid stream. I recall the dearth of 'qualified' candidates actually wanting this post. It won't be easy to attract even mid level talent and experience!

Indeed the challenges faced by Royce soon engulfed him re the resources available to him, (scant financials, downward trend in non stem institutions, student retention, etc...)
I don't see much glee with the prospect of diminishing legislative support and a BOR that seems a bit reluctant to push UM's agenda.

This is way bigger than an athletic agenda, as it appears that national political trends bash traditional education as most of us knew it.

I am a UM guy from way back, I am very concerned about the viability of my school, the same school that educated my kids too. If this institution does not survive, nothing else going on there really matters.

Depends on what the "required qualifications" are. If they lose the PhD requirement, and get outside the academia bubble - they may find plenty of competent people who have led and managed enormous changes in resource constrained environments. I guarantee the majority of retired General Officers/Admirals in our military would thrive at the UM. That's just one small pool...many, many more IMO.

info said:

I had occasion to visit with her Dad, Hal Stearns, many times. Fascinating guy and great family.

Back