• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Engstrom stepping down

I've read the posts in this thread and have arrived at two conclusions: (1) University President is an easy job, and (2) everybody here could do that job way better than Royce did it.

Will you be submitting your applications?

:lol: :roll: :lol:

Lots of Liberal Arts Colleges and Universities are doing quite well without reinventing themselves or becoming STEM schools. As much as I hate to agree with 75 (just on principle) The decline at U of M is beyond what anyone else is experiencing.

I don't remember the actual numbers but way over half of students graduate in something OTHER than what they start in. Kids today are essentially Lazy in that they have to be sold, they aren't seeking out answers themselves. Any University that isn't activley marketing these kids and their parents is going to have poor results. Incidentally IF one were to pursue hard sciences and Math, U of M would be the better choice. Nothing against engineers and IT techs but they are really a slight step above vocational school and easily taught in "large" classes.

grizcountry420 said:
garizzalies said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
grizpack said:
I would fall on my own sword if they did that....

Do you have an extra sword?
I'd be willing to bet you hillbillies don't know Denise and are just judging on stereo types

you dont know me.. Ive dated lots of native women. It has nothing do to with that.

Glad to see you are above stereotypes there garizzalies. Didn't think you could see me in my camouflaged bib overalls... :roll:

I do know her. Nothing against her personally at all. But she is not what we need right now. (And to beat you to the punch, race, religion, sexual orientation, hair color, right handed/left handed has nothing to do with it. I could care less).

grizcountry420 said:
garizzalies said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
grizpack said:
I would fall on my own sword if they did that....

I'd be willing to bet you hillbillies don't know Denise and are just judging on stereo types

you dont know me.. Ive dated lots of native women. It has nothing do to with that.
You're right. I'm judging too, but you kinda just proved my point (in an ironic way). Most people have no idea how amazing she really is and judge her on stereotypes, including one you did not mention. So kudos to you and I take it back. And I'm not saying she'd be the best pick for our next prez but she'd pour her heart of gold into it

AllWeatherFan said:
I've read the posts in this thread and have arrived at two conclusions: (1) University President is an easy job, and (2) everybody here could do that job way better than Royce did it.

I am...I may not be a PhD, but I am a doctor! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank God!

When king George picked his stool pigeon Engstrom. It was just a continuation of king George's failed policies. They both sucked and the whole campus is worse off because of them. Hope the BOR can find a real leader for UM.

AZDoc said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I am...I may not be a PhD, but I am a doctor! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not a PhD or a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

I was told at a meeting last year that a PA (Physician Assistant) programwas going to be added which would be ideal. Primary Drs. are few and in demand and many physicians would tell you that the system has erred in not training enough mid level providers soon enough. I have not heard any additional information since then

garizzalies said:
grizcountry420 said:
garizzalies said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

You're right. I'm judging too, but you kinda just proved my point (in an ironic way). Most people have no idea how amazing she really is and judge her on stereotypes, including one you did not mention. So kudos to you and I take it back. And I'm not saying she'd be the best pick for our next prez but she'd pour her heart of gold into it

and i respect your opinion..

Retiredram1 said:
I was told at a meeting last year that a PA (Physician Assistant) programwas going to be added which would be ideal. Primary Drs. are few and in demand and many physicians would tell you that the system has erred in not training enough mid level providers soon enough. I have not heard any additional information since then

That would be cool. Rocky is the only option in Montana now. The thing is these programs Medical School, OT, PA etc will bring a few dozen students each. We are down thousands.....................

grizpack said:
I think Stearns was a great pick. She could certainly take over permanently. Take your time on that search Clay....
But can she kick......?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

kemajic said:
A medical school needs to be tied into a large hospital complex; the largest one in MT is the Billings Clinic/St. Vincent's. Most teaching and research occurs within a hospital complex. This enormous complex is but a stone's throw from MSU-B and Rocky.

The president of Rocky has chatted with my wife and I about considering a medical school there. They do have a very good PA program at the present. At least they are giving it a little thought.

tnt said:
Retiredram1 said:

That would be cool. Rocky is the only option in Montana now. The thing is these programs Medical School, OT, PA etc will bring a few dozen students each. We are down thousands.....................

In my opinion, expanding PT, pharmacy, ST, and adding OT and PA program are a start. You are right in that they don't add a bunch of students, but for every PT student we had accepted when I was there, we had 10 to 20 pre PT students. Adding OT would be the easiest right now as the undergrad work for PT and OT are very similar. These ancillary medical degrees are in high demand and will get higher as baby boomers stress the health care system.

It will take money. It is a hard sell to add a program or two as enrollment declines. It will take an effective leader to convince the BOR and legislature that it is needed and is a benefit. Let's hope our next leader is that person.

I think it's more to do with the school having a PR problem. Agree whether or not it should have it...it does. UM needs to do a better job of marketing itself and overcoming that PR problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

...b. s. equals bull siht...
...m. s. equals more siht...
...p h. d. piled high and deep...

... :shit: ...

The timing of this move makes me wonder if Bullock didn't have a hand in it. He's been scurrying around the state during the campaign and he's had to have heard an earful about RE and the enrollment issues at UM. Right now Bullock is reviewing his Cabinet and personal staff positions to get things in place for the next four years. Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't encourage Clay Christian and the BOR to do the same.

Disclaimer that this is sheer speculation on my part. I would be the last guy to know the inner workings of the Bullock Administration. Still, the timing invites speculation.

why not our own full fledged b.s./ r.n. program from start to finish as well as b.s. and advanced degrees in hospital and long term care administration.....all of these professions are crying for good help....many students would benefit imo....

griz5700 said:
grizcountry420 said:
garizzalies said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

420 just bringin the love...

giphy.gif

Back