• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Expectations for this season

PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
poorgriz said:
Ya, 10-1 just flat out isn't happening for you guys. Don't forget about the QB problem. When your #1 goes down for a few games as they always do in Stitt's system the rust will be evident and the timing won't be there and you'll lose games because of it. As you all know - the team goes as the QB goes in that system. If the QB isn't "On" and rock solid you lose. That's the history of Stitt's offense and it has never changed.

Here's my prediction--book it: Both QB's may end up injured, but our #1 QB will play more snaps this season than Murray--You've got a guy who is going to carry it 20+ times a game and you think OUR QB is at risk??? That literally makes NO sense.

It's simply a numbers game. Stitt is dead set on achieving that high play count. That leads to literally thousands more snaps for your players when you consider the number of games and practices in a season. The more snaps you run, the higher likelihood injury. Regarding Murray, you won't see many designed QB running plays this year. Sounds like his passing is much improved and based on the 2 scrimmages, he's pass first and doing an excellent job of going through his reads. Granted, it's nice to know he can take off at any time and probably take it to the house. Apparently black Jesus mentoring him has paid huge dividends. Now that you guys have mobile QBs I bet you end up with about the same number of QB run plays.

Your analysis is faulty and quite frankly completely out to lunch.

First, I don't believe it's correct to say that Stitt is "dead set on achieving a high play count". My impression is that he has backed off of that to some extent. Has anyone noticed/heard him talking about a high play count in recent times? Maybe I missed that.

Second, it is absolutely not true that Stitt's high snap count goal has resulted in "literally thousands more snaps in games and practices." In games, for a season, that might be 150 or so extra plays in total for the qb's. In practices, the important number would be how many more plays in scrimmages and in live-hitting drills. Non-contact drllls/plays aren't relevant--and neither are snaps. Also, in most (maybe all) scrimmages and all practices, the qb's wear different colored jerseys and don't get hit. In addition, running plays faster in practice doesn't necessarily even result in more snaps. It depends on how the practices are designed.

Third, the relevant question is how many more opportunities to get hit, and how many times will a qb get hit, in the season. Passing qb's are not going to get hit as much as running ab's. Qb's who slide are not going to get hit as much as ab's who run and don't slide. As you said, it's a numbers game, and this is the relevant number--not number of snaps.

Fourth, I'm happy to take the bet of whether Cat or Griz qb's take the most hits on running plays. I say the Cat qb's will.

This! Running more plays during a game likely means the offense is moving the ball and having success. The likelihood for injury may actually be higher for defensive players (opponents). The defense gets tired and wore down. Running more plays does not necessarily mean the QB is in greater danger, especially if he has a good arm, a good oline, strong receiver corps and the running game is clicking. Murray did not have at least one of the four last season (probably more like two of the four). RP has two of the four in 2017 and maybe all four when it is said and done. Predicting injuries in football is ridiculous.

I disagree but that's fine. More plays likely leads to more injuries, period. It's not a drastic disparity but there is one. I don't know if Stitt has changed his stance but for awhile there I remember several interviews where all he talked about was the play count and if they just could have reached that 90 something play count, they would have finally wore the D down and won. If you run 30 more plays pg than the average team, that would be an additional 330 plays in regular season. And yes, there are hundreds or over a thousand more snaps in practice with that system inherently. Yes they limit contact on QB's but so much more can happen with sprained ankles, knees, shoulders, hammies, broken hands or fingers, etc. I guess we'll just wait and see. Has Stitt EVER made it through a season without needing at least three QBs?

I disagree but that's fine. Mope plays likely leads to more injuries, period. It's not a drastic disparity but there is one. I don't know if Stitt has changed his stance but for awhile there I remember several interviews where all he talked about was the play count and if they just could have reached that 90 something play count, they would have finally wore the D down and won. If you run 30 more plays pg than the average team, that would be an additional 330 plays in regular season. And yes, there are hundreds or over a thousand more snaps in practice with that system inherently. Yes they limit contact on QB's but so much more can happen with sprained ankles, knees, shoulders, hammies, broken hands or fingers, etc. I guess we'll just wait and see. Has Stitt EVER made it through a season without needing at least three QBs?

I can agree that mope play will likely lead to more injuries. Lucky for us we have an enthusiastic team!

poorgriz said:
I disagree but that's fine. More plays likely leads to more injuries, period. It's not a drastic disparity but there is one. I don't know if Stitt has changed his stance but for awhile there I remember several interviews where all he talked about was the play count and if they just could have reached that 90 something play count, they would have finally wore the D down and won. If you run 30 more plays pg than the average team, that would be an additional 330 plays in regular season. And yes, there are hundreds or over a thousand more snaps in practice with that system inherently. Yes they limit contact on QB's but so much more can happen with sprained ankles, knees, shoulders, hammies, broken hands or fingers, etc. I guess we'll just wait and see. Has Stitt EVER made it through a season without needing at least three QBs?

Good night. Seriously, you sound like the new age millennial helicopter parent. Little Johnny is going to get injured playing football. Johnny, you can only play two downs of the four. I don't want you spraining an ankle or getting a blister. More plays for the offense means there is a higher probability of more scoring. Who knows if Stitt has made it through a season without using three QB's. If he hasn't, what other variables came into play, that had nothing to do with play count. Hell many teams don't make it through the year with their first string QB - and it has nothing to do with how many plays they run. What your proposing is slowing down the game to prevent injuries and I just cannot agree with that. Run it fast and furious,, score a lot, tire the defense out, put in your younger kids and second third string QB when the game is in the bag. Cats play conservative and safe - good luck. We see how that has worked out over the years. I actually like your new coach and your OC seems to be sharp. We will see if they play it safe. Last year they had to use the ground attack. I think you should be more worried about your team, their schedule and the uphill battle facing them.

Copper, I hate to say it, but I think we should be worried about playing the Cats which I've never done until now.

Spanky said:
Copper, I hate to say it, but I think we should be worried about playing the Cats which I've never done until now.

Spanky,

You may be right, but I think of each game as one the Griz should be worried about. I think Choate and his crew of coaches are very capable of turning that program into a top contender. Having said that, a couple of things to keep in mind.
1. The Cats have not had to deal with the coaching carousel that the Griz have. Unfortunately the last 8 or nine years were self inflicted and not just coaches moving up. Choate starts seeing success, he will be gone for a better job.
2. Bozo' facilities are far inferior. The Griz have it rolling. Bozo has a long ways to go to catch up, including history
3. Due to the coaching carousel, The Griz had no O line dominance and that position could have been deemed a weakness. That is about to change.
4. The recruiting at both schools is very solid, but Stitt seems to be getting his guys. The only real concern is - does the coach know what he is doing when you look at fundamentals, scheme, and adjustments? That is really the variable that is will be likely be answered this year.
5. The Cats schedule is going to be tough for once. They won how many games last year? Was the cupboard bare for Choate? Stitt made the playoffs his first year and had more than 2 wins. Not everything is rosy in Bozo. They have a very uphill battle this year.

Copper Griz said:
Spanky said:

Spanky,

You may be right, but I think of each game as one the Griz should be worried about. I think Choate and his crew of coaches are very capable of turning that program into a top contender. Having said that, a couple of things to keep in mind.
1. The Cats have not had to deal with the coaching carousel that the Griz have. Unfortunately the last 8 or nine years were self inflicted and not just coaches moving up. Choate starts seeing success, he will be gone for a better job.
2. Bozo' facilities are far inferior. The Griz have it rolling. Bozo has a long ways to go to catch up, including history
3. Due to the coaching carousel, The Griz had no O line dominance and that position could have been deemed a weakness. That is about to change.
4. The recruiting at both schools is very solid, but Stitt seems to be getting his guys. The only real concern is - does the coach know what he is doing when you look at fundamentals, scheme, and adjustments? That is really the variable that will be answered this year.
5. The Cats schedule is going to be tough for once. They won how many games last year? Was the cupboard bare for Choate? Stitt made the playoffs his first year and had more than 2 wins. Not everything is rosy in Bozo. They have a very uphill battle this year.

poorgriz said:
I disagree but that's fine. Mope plays likely leads to more injuries, period. It's not a drastic disparity but there is one. I don't know if Stitt has changed his stance but for awhile there I remember several interviews where all he talked about was the play count and if they just could have reached that 90 something play count, they would have finally wore the D down and won. If you run 30 more plays pg than the average team, that would be an additional 330 plays in regular season. And yes, there are hundreds or over a thousand more snaps in practice with that system inherently. Yes they limit contact on QB's but so much more can happen with sprained ankles, knees, shoulders, hammies, broken hands or fingers, etc. I guess we'll just wait and see. Has Stitt EVER made it through a season without needing at least three QBs?

You can disagree all you want, but you are just plain wrong.

Total plays last year (UM, MSU) - 880 to 732 (so I guessed right by saying about 150 or so more for UM in games) -- That's an average of 80 plays per game for UM, and 69.3 for MSU.

Running plays - 387 to 456 (note that all of UM's extra plays from then hurry-up result from more passes)

Rushes - Murry - 138 (Newell 148); BG - 40, Chalich 42)

Sacks - 24 to 16

MSU ran much more last year, and that was without Murry having a full year of starts. UM's extra plays were all passes. UM

By the way, UM didn't have to use 3 qb's last year, so please stop with your Stitt needs 3 ab's per year BS. Only 2. One injury to BG, causing him to miss 2 games. It was something up in his chest.

I must admit that the phrase Never Played the Game comes to mind, as well as Don't Watch and Don't Understand the Games. While I have noticed you for you Cat trolling over the years, I hadn't realized that you also apparently don't understand the game either.

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
AZDoc said:
My guess earlier was 8-3 as well. A lot of factors to take into account...injuries included. I feel that 10-1 isn't out of the question just as PR says, but what if there is a rain game? Or a few too many Pick-6s? That costly fumble in our own territory on a kick return? I'd love 10-1, but 8-3 is a solid season and hopefully keeps this going.

Ya, 10-1 just flat out isn't happening for you guys. Don't forget about the QB problem. When your #1 goes down for a few games as they always do in Stitt's system the rust will be evident and the timing won't be there and you'll lose games because of it. As you all know - the team goes as the QB goes in that system. If the QB isn't "On" and rock solid you lose. That's the history of Stitt's offense and it has never changed.

I am now convinced that Stitt must've screwed your wife, sister, or boyfriend. Maybe all 3. You seem disgruntled or infatuated with him and it's eerie. Is this Gregorak??

So give us your high and mighty prediction for your kittens Ty.

No, to my knowledge he hasn't screwed any of my relatives but I guess a guy never knows! Look, I know it looks like I'm just stirring the pot but really I'm just trying to help you guys out so you don't have such melt downs when the reality of the season sets in. I will make a bet with anyone that wants it, right now. You guys will lose a game where 95% of you predicted a win, and a bunch of us will giggle while logging on to the site, and you will be melting down. The "Fire Stitt" threads will come pouring in, and there will be a bunch of infighting. It happens every year, and it's going to be the same this year. Oh, if any of you REALLY are predicting 10-1 I will bet $1,000 on that straight up, right now.

Regarding the predictions, I already threw my hat into the ring in some of the other threads but I have you ending the season at 7-4 and the CATS at 6-5 as my best guess today.

:coffee:

Back