• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS Poll

It appears to be getting late early for state college. How to mess up a perennial late season collapse like this?

Paytonlives said:
7 Big Sky Teams in the top 27

Doubt that has ever happened before...

2013 when we sent 5 to the playoffs I thought we had a few others on the bubble too...

But a rare occasion for sure

With the polls I like that Stats and the coaches aren't skyrocketing us up as well - we played a tight game against a winless team and didn't get much love for it. Shows the pollsters are watching and I'm glad they're not over-inflating this team for the time being.

Paytonlives said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
... speaking of which, its a shame NAU isn't getting any love.
NAU is #26
Poly is #27
Actually, the Big Sky in general is not getting a lot of love. What happened to MSU and PSU makes the point.

Using my normal formulas, my “poll guesses” got over half (13) of the new poll right on the money. That included figuring that Liberty would move to #15 after their FBS win -- which they did. (Plus the Griz at #12.) I got another seven guesses within ±1. That was usually by swapping two teams, like predicting SHSU and UNI would be 10, 11 when they came in 11, 10. I also swapped Fordham-Villanova and Indiana State-SE Louisiana.

I got another four within ±2. That’s 24 out of the total 25 either right on, within one, or off by only two. I usually do pretty well, but generally not quite that well. Still, I considered this one of the easier weeks for my predictions.

On the other hand, it’s two of my misses that make my point. Normally, when a ranked team loses to an unranked team in a road game, they drop about five spots ... so I moved MSU down to #16. But the pollsters punished them even more, with a drop of seven spots. That’s a lot. Portland State also lost to an unranked team. But, as I said on that thread, they were at home and no one seems to respect their record much, so I dropped them six spots. That was not enough for the pollsters, who dropped them nine (barely keeping them in the top-25). You hardly ever see that big a drop unless the loss is a total blow-out, and PSU only lost by 2 points. And they lost to UND, which -- as I predicted -- the pollsters moved into the top-25 after William & Mary dropped out after their loss.

It’s nice that NAU and Cal Poly are just off the pace. But it’s a shame what happened to Portland State, and the kitties probably deserved a bit better result. (But it's the kitties, so who really cares? :lol: )

IntuitiveGriz said:
Two questions:

Are we playing like a near top 10 team?

Does the burn of falling 8 spots cause 3rd degrees burns for msu or just 2nd degree?

Defense - Yes
Offense - No

3rd degree!

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Can we talk about UND being in the top 25 for a moment????
Okay.

Nice to see them in the top-25, but their record is at least somewhat suspect. They beat Wyoming in the opener, but that looks less and less impressive ... since the Cowboys have yet to win a game this season. They beat Drake -- a mediocre team in the pitiful Pioneer Football League -- by only a FG, in a home game. Lost fairly badly at NDSU (25 points). Won over UC-Davis, but only by a TD in a home game. And squeaked out (2 points) a road win at Portland State. That 4-1 record deserves recognition, but one does have some doubts.

BadlandsGrizFan said:

UND is unequivocally the worst top 25 team I have ever seen. They honestly looked like a high school team against NDSU. They did not get their first "first down" until midway through the third quarter. They had 61, I repeat 61 total yards of offense. I think they had 2 first downs the entire game.

Their wins are against.

Wyoming- They might finish dead last in the Big Sky.
Drake- Non scholarship team they beat by a whopping 3 points at home.
Cal Davis- 0-5 team they beat by 7 points at home
Portland State- Ranked team they beat by 2 points.

They honestly have looked horrible for the majority of the season. It is a combination of dumb luck and playing horrible teams that have them at 4-1. They are going to get steamrolled by Montana, Montana State and Cal Poly.

STATS FCS Top 25 (7 of 13 BSC teams received votes)

FCS Coaches' Poll (9 of 13 BSC teams received votes, including a 1-4 team)

Out of conference wins get you respect.

Two FBS wins over a bad team (WSU) and a likely season winless team (Wyo).
Three FBS not bad losses (19-pt L, 14-pt L, and a 3-pt L).
One good win over NDSU.
One bad win over a bad FCS team (Drake).
Four blowout wins over DII teams.

One good road loss at UNI.
One not-so-great loss at Liberty.
Three bad losses at NDSU, v UNI, and at SDSU.

EWU (19-pt L at Ducks, 3-pt L at UNI)
Montana (3-pt W v NDSU, 10-pt L at Liberty)
MSU (31-pt W v DII)
PSU (W at WSU, 31-pt DII W)
North Dakota (W at Wy*, 3-pt W v Drake, 25-pt L at NDSU)
Cal Poly (14-pt L at ASU, 14-pt L v UNI)
ISU (55-pt DII W, all others losses)
SUU (3-pt L at USU, 45-pt L at SDSU, 42-pt DII W)

2011BisonAlumni said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

UND is unequivocally the worst top 25 team I have ever seen. They honestly looked like a high school team against NDSU. They did not get their first "first down" until midway through the third quarter. They had 61, I repeat 61 total yards of offense. I think they had 2 first downs the entire game.

Their wins are against.

They honestly have looked horrible for the majority of the season. It is a combination of dumb luck and playing horrible teams that have them at 4-1. They are going to get steamrolled by Montana, Montana State and Cal Poly.

I agree, I'm just shocked seeing them in there.haha.....I watched you game against them. They always seem to have a stout defense...one could also call them dirty. I'll always root against that team after the shit they have tried pulling as far as cheap shots go.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Their wins are against.

I agree, I'm just shocked seeing them in there.haha.....I watched you game against them. They always seem to have a stout defense...one could also call them dirty. I'll always root against that team after the shit they have tried pulling as far as cheap shots go.

Their defense as a whole is not very good. They have some decent linebackers that can stop the run. If they play against any team that passes well, they are going to get crushed. Carson Wentz had his way with them in the first half and lit them up for 4 TD passes before Klieman called off the dogs. Then again, Carson Wentz has had his way with every team he has played this year and might be the best QB in the FCS.

I think Montana will beat them by a minimum of 2 TD's. They are horseshit.

2011BisonAlumni said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Their wins are against.

Their defense as a whole is not very good. They have some decent linebackers that can stop the run. If they play against any team that passes well, they are going to get crushed. Carson Wentz had his way with them in the first half and lit them up for 4 TD passes before Klieman called off the dogs. Then again, Carson Wentz has had his way with every team he has played this year and might be the best QB in the FCS.

I think Montana will beat them by a minimum of 2 TD's. They are horseshit.

Well....all but one. :lol: And that is with all due respect to NDSU's awesome program, first class fans and Wentz as a QB. Just the facts,sir, just the facts. :lol:

SakGriz,

If you don't think that Wentz had his way with Montana, you weren't watching the same game I was. Up until he got hurt, he had accounted for 4 TD's (2 passing and 2 rushing) and had close to 250 yards of total offense including 65 on the ground. Things obviously changed when he got hurt (I am still not sure how he actually finished that game), but Montana didn't have much of an answer for him up until that point.

Not trying to take anything away from Montana. That was a great win fair and square. I just don't think the defense did much to really stop Wentz, at least not up until the point that he got hurt.

NAU is for real. They usually start with a cupcake schedule and get worse as the seasons goes by. This year with the Griz and state done, a frosh quarterback getting better, o-line healthier they can win out.

The most outrageous thing in that poll might be 1 and 4 Idaho State listed as getting votes. Seriously? The are giving up an average of 56 points per game over the past four games. Kramer seems to have lost his grip on the Bungles.

Montana Born said:
NAU is for real. They usually start with a cupcake schedule and get worse as the seasons goes by. This year with the Griz and state done, a frosh quarterback getting better, o-line healthier they can win out.

NAU's November curse isn't too far off from MSU's November curse.

Sure-fire paths to the playoffs have been laid waste by way too many soul crushing 1-2 or 0-3 Novembers @ the Skydome. I will continue to close my eyes and hold my breath.

Having two of the last three games @ EWU and @ Southern Utah doesn't look all that promising to me but there's lots of season left to go. I think 8-9 teams in the Big Sky are capable of being good.

Buttegrizzle said:
The most outrageous thing in that poll might be 1 and 4 Idaho State listed as getting votes. Seriously? The are giving up an average of 56 points per game over the past four games. Kramer seems to have lost his grip on the Bungles.
If it's any consolation, ISU only received votes in the coaches' poll. Presumably some Assistant AD rubber-stamped a list from earlier in the year just to get the job out of the way. The FCS media poll -- which has its own problems -- did not give any votes to the Pokie putrids. :lol:

2011BisonAlumni said:
SakGriz,

If you don't think that Wentz had his way with Montana, you weren't watching the same game I was. Up until he got hurt, he had accounted for 4 TD's (2 passing and 2 rushing) and had close to 250 yards of total offense including 65 on the ground. Things obviously changed when he got hurt (I am still not sure how he actually finished that game), but Montana didn't have much of an answer for him up until that point.

Not trying to take anything away from Montana. That was a great win fair and square. I just don't think the defense did much to really stop Wentz, at least not up until the point that he got hurt.
Once again, Wentz didn't get hurt until NDSU's last offensive play of the third quarter, the quarter in which they didn't score. Yes, he was tearing up the Griz defense in the first half, but it was pretty clear they found a way to contain, if not completely stop him.

2011BisonAlumni said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Their wins are against.

:) :) :) :) :)

Htowngriz said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
SakGriz,

Once again, Wentz didn't get hurt until NDSU's last offensive play of the third quarter, the quarter in which they didn't score. Yes, he was tearing up the Griz defense in the first half, but it was pretty clear they found a way to contain, if not completely stop him.

2011 is in denial. That fact has been pointed out numerous times since the win....the Bizon fans all make it seem like he got hurt coming out of the locker room to start the second half...

Back