• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Final Scrimmage

AZGrizFan said:
Gaeilge1 said:
Not to be negative on all the glowing reports, but giving up a 98 yard kickoff return on the opening play has to be a concern on special teams!

Isn't that the second one JLM has taken to the house this fall?

Definitely the second one he took to the house....just can't recall if the first was in spring or fall. I want to say spring for some reason.

NativeGriz said:
Gaeilge1 said:
Not to be negative on all the glowing reports, but giving up a 98 yard kickoff return on the opening play has to be a concern on special teams!
Trying to read between the lines Note what PR said above: Not so sure the first kickoff was completely live and The o-line protected fairly well, but not sure the D was bringing the heat. If true, these quotes suggest the coaches were trying to give our O and possibly return teams some rhythm. Sort of a confidence building scrimmage for the offense. Without hard nose hitting you also minimize chance of injuries.
Please tell me you are joking with this post? If not then please elaborate on the detriment and denigration the defense now must deal with? What about their rhythm and swagger or do they have too much?

It's quite obvious what the Mad Scientist is attempting to do here. Being billed as an offensive guru, he obviously told his lackey Semore to back the defense off so he can look good to the press and the fans. Why do you think this scrimmage was closed to the public? This compromising of ethics and consistently losing the instate recruiting war is why Gregorak left for greener pastures at msu. ALL of the conspiracy theorists are 100% spot on. The empire is crumbling before our eyes!!!

Ursa Major said:
It's quite obvious what the Mad Scientist is attempting to do here. Being billed as an offensive guru, he obviously told his lackey Semore to back the defense off so he can look good to the press and the fans. Why do you think this scrimmage was closed to the public? This compromising of ethics and consistently losing the instate recruiting war is why Gregorak left for greener pastures at msu. ALL of the conspiracy theorists are 100% spot on. The empire is crumbling before our eyes!!!
Spot on. I think without a doubt we can add this to AWF's list of things. Also, speaking of in-state recruiting and empire crumbling I found this little gem. I miss Devlin's stories.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1345&dat=19820922&id=cP1LAAAAIBAJ&sjid=a_kDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7149,1604867&hl=en

Gaeilge1 said:

And if JLM gets stuffed, we'd all be screaming about how bad our return game sucks.

Griz2k said:
Gaeilge1 said:

And if JLM gets stuffed, we'd all be screaming about how bad our return game sucks.

It's the eGriz way.

Coach said:
NativeGriz said:
Gaeilge1 said:
Trying to read between the lines Note what PR said above: Not so sure the first kickoff was completely live and The o-line protected fairly well, but not sure the D was bringing the heat. If true, these quotes suggest the coaches were trying to give our O and possibly return teams some rhythm. Sort of a confidence building scrimmage for the offense. Without hard nose hitting you also minimize chance of injuries.
Please tell me you are joking with this post? If not then please elaborate on the detriment and denigration the defense now must deal with? What about their rhythm and swagger or do they have too much?
To be honest I can see a lot of reasons why a coach may pull back on the reigns of his O or D to help the other side gain confidence etc, butt I don't have time to break it down for you. I barely have time egriz, so I only read posts from people that have proven to have good knowledge and understanding of the game. So to help you understand, go back and read PR's post and you will notice there is some hinting that the D was not going full throttle, like maybe not blitzing as much or avoiding crushing tackles. If I have time later, I will come back and explain it better for you.

For those of you that attended some practices/scrimmages does the contact seem less than in past years? I know Stitt (I believe) had mentioned some time ago no more lighting each other up in drills or scrimmages. It sounds like there was a few hard hits but for the most part I'm curious if things looked differently from the sideline?

Best I can recall we are always pouting this time of the year about an injury or two to big contributors and for the most part we are in pretty decent healthy this year. (knock on wood) Maybe the "format" had something to do with it? Maybe the extra work/training these kids put in this summer?

Gaeilge1 said:

All 4 or 5 of his kickoff returns were returned for TD's. They weren't fully live.

signedbewildered said:
For those of you that attended some practices/scrimmages does the contact seem less than in past years? I know Stitt (I believe) had mentioned some time ago no more lighting each other up in drills or scrimmages. It sounds like there was a few hard hits but for the most part I'm curious if things looked differently from the sideline?

Best I can recall we are always pouting this time of the year about an injury or two to big contributors and for the most part we are in pretty decent healthy this year. (knock on wood) Maybe the "format" had something to do with it? Maybe the extra work/training these kids put in this summer?

The answer to your first question is yes.

signedbewildered said:
For those of you that attended some practices/scrimmages does the contact seem less than in past years? I know Stitt (I believe) had mentioned some time ago no more lighting each other up in drills or scrimmages. It sounds like there was a few hard hits but for the most part I'm curious if things looked differently from the sideline? ?

Scrimmages were live tackling but like what was pointed out on a Kidder sack it appears the RBs and O-line were instructed not to "cut" block anyone, so there's that. However I don't recall any of our prior coaches having blockers cut defenders in scrimmages.

Practices have been the same typical "pop" tackling that all prior coaches have done. The only difference I've noticed is that Hauck had mostly live tackling in most of the spring, practices and scrimmages. Pflu/Delaney/Stitt have stuck with mostly pop tackling in the spring too.

I felt like like, from a physicality standpoint, practice was business as usual. Not much different. The Griz' D is extremely physical.

havgrizfan said:
I felt like like, from a physicality standpoint, practice was business as usual. Not much different. The Griz' D is extremely physical.

Huh? There wasn't even full tackling in most of the scrimmage, and I didn't see full tackling at the practices I attended. I know there was full tackling at times; but not when I was watching. The most physical part of the scrimmage was on running plays up the middle. Some plays ended with no players on the ground. QB's weren't even touched most of the time.

BWahlberg said:
signedbewildered said:
For those of you that attended some practices/scrimmages does the contact seem less than in past years? I know Stitt (I believe) had mentioned some time ago no more lighting each other up in drills or scrimmages. It sounds like there was a few hard hits but for the most part I'm curious if things looked differently from the sideline? ?

Scrimmages were live tackling but like what was pointed out on a Kidder sack it appears the RBs and O-line were instructed not to "cut" block anyone, so there's that. However I don't recall any of our prior coaches having blockers cut defenders in scrimmages.

Practices have been the same typical "pop" tackling that all prior coaches have done. The only difference I've noticed is that Hauck had mostly live tackling in most of the spring, practices and scrimmages. Pflu/Delaney/Stitt have stuck with mostly pop tackling in the spring too.

I sure wouldn't call that full tackling throughout the scrimmage yesterday. It wasn't pop, and there was certainly considerable tackling, but I thought they often avoided full tackling and heavy end of the play contact. QB's weren't even touched. There was zero tackling on kickoffs.

signedbewildered said:

Ask Counts if the contact is lighter.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/765383148301451264[/tweet]

Latest posts

Back