• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gerald Kemp

zirge said:
not so much as who would start over him as getting to see some playing time with our other qb's to see what they can do..........like kemp. again coach bobby likes to roll with the seasoned players and we don't get to see much else. ... hopefully we can see kemp this year and not just 9 to 5 with selle.
Game snaps for backup players is a problem at every position -- think about corners and safeties, where mistakes due to inexperience can cost you 6 points. And how often does the third guy on the O-Line depth chart get in? But one injury to a starter, and Mr. Third is the primary backup.

All that being understood, snaps for the backup QB are the most critical. I can’t think of any coach that has a good answer.

The 2008 Virginia Tech (sorry, but I don’t know of a FCS equivalent) had the most extreme in one direction -- a two-QB system for the entire season. They made it work during the regular season (Probably because the QB’s job in the V-Tech system is to “manage the game” -- defense and special teams will win it.) However, it seemed to me neither guy got in sync in the Orange Bowl. They threw three picks between them (one a pick-six), which gave Kansas 17 of their 24 points.

Of course, another variation is to have a “running” QB and a “passing” QB. This has probably been made to work -- I even seem to recall the Griz have tried it at times, although I don’t think under Hauk. Anyway, I can’t recall any long-term successes. The idea works in small doses, but any decent defense soon catches on and kills you. (Personally, I’m partial to the halfback pass, but that’s another story.)

Lots of coaches (NOT just Hauk) tend to stick with their starting QB, no matter what. They seem to figure that -- no matter how bad the guy is doing -- he’ll come through, somehow. Even a guy as smart and talent-rich as Pete Carroll at USC does it.

If the starter is doing well, coaches -- across the board -- leave him in for at least one series beyond where any reasonable person would say the game was out of reach for the opponent. (I know, we’ve all seen miracle comebacks, but those are damn rare.) This eggs-in-one-basket approach, where the backup gets no even semi-important game snaps, is usually disastrous when the starter goes down in a crucial game.

I definitely favor, and believe long-term experience supports, an approach where the backup gets significant game experience. If he’s good enough, maybe as much as a full quarter. Plus, he should play some when the game is still on the line, at least to some extent. (Sure, that could backfire -- and we’d all scream about what an idiot the coach/offensive coordinator is.) But if you’ve got a lead and the defense is playing well, why not put the backup in for a couple series?

Obviously, this approach gives your backup more real experience to bolster him (and the team) when he has to start, or come in on short notice. Related to that is the fact that it’s safer to take the starter out for several plays to recover from a minor ding. How many times have we seen a somewhat gimpy QB get hurt worse on the next play?

Equally important, it gives the coach credibility to say: “You’ve earned the starting spot, and you’ll get the most PT, but we’ll sit you down if you’re having a really bad day.” If the starter’s “tender ego” can’t handle that, then you have to question whether or not he should be starting anyway. Any guy with the moxie to be a starter should be able to get his head together with a series or two on the bench. If the backup catches fire, so much the better. It’s called COMPETITION, baby!

Billie Joe Hobart and Mark Burnell shared starting job for the Washington Huskies during their glory days. Both made it to the NFL.

IdaGriz01 said:
zirge said:
not so much as who would start over him as getting to see some playing time with our other qb's to see what they can do..........like kemp. again coach bobby likes to roll with the seasoned players and we don't get to see much else. ... hopefully we can see kemp this year and not just 9 to 5 with selle.
Game snaps for backup players is a problem at every position -- think about corners and safeties, where mistakes due to inexperience can cost you 6 points. And how often does the third guy on the O-Line depth chart get in? But one injury to a starter, and Mr. Third is the primary backup.

All that being understood, snaps for the backup QB are the most critical. I can’t think of any coach that has a good answer.

The 2008 Virginia Tech (sorry, but I don’t know of a FCS equivalent) had the most extreme in one direction -- a two-QB system for the entire season. They made it work during the regular season (Probably because the QB’s job in the V-Tech system is to “manage the game” -- defense and special teams will win it.) However, it seemed to me neither guy got in sync in the Orange Bowl. They threw three picks between them (one a pick-six), which gave Kansas 17 of their 24 points.

Of course, another variation is to have a “running” QB and a “passing” QB. This has probably been made to work -- I even seem to recall the Griz have tried it at times, although I don’t think under Hauk. Anyway, I can’t recall any long-term successes. The idea works in small doses, but any decent defense soon catches on and kills you. (Personally, I’m partial to the halfback pass, but that’s another story.)

Lots of coaches (NOT just Hauk) tend to stick with their starting QB, no matter what. They seem to figure that -- no matter how bad the guy is doing -- he’ll come through, somehow. Even a guy as smart and talent-rich as Pete Carroll at USC does it.

If the starter is doing well, coaches -- across the board -- leave him in for at least one series beyond where any reasonable person would say the game was out of reach for the opponent. (I know, we’ve all seen miracle comebacks, but those are damn rare.) This eggs-in-one-basket approach, where the backup gets no even semi-important game snaps, is usually disastrous when the starter goes down in a crucial game.

I definitely favor, and believe long-term experience supports, an approach where the backup gets significant game experience. If he’s good enough, maybe as much as a full quarter. Plus, he should play some when the game is still on the line, at least to some extent. (Sure, that could backfire -- and we’d all scream about what an idiot the coach/offensive coordinator is.) But if you’ve got a lead and the defense is playing well, why not put the backup in for a couple series?

Obviously, this approach gives your backup more real experience to bolster him (and the team) when he has to start, or come in on short notice. Related to that is the fact that it’s safer to take the starter out for several plays to recover from a minor ding. How many times have we seen a somewhat gimpy QB get hurt worse on the next play?

Equally important, it gives the coach credibility to say: “You’ve earned the starting spot, and you’ll get the most PT, but we’ll sit you down if you’re having a really bad day.” If the starter’s “tender ego” can’t handle that, then you have to question whether or not he should be starting anyway. Any guy with the moxie to be a starter should be able to get his head together with a series or two on the bench. If the backup catches fire, so much the better. It’s called COMPETITION, baby!

Florida winning the national championship in 2007 with Tebow and Leak splitting time was pretty extreme as well.

Or LSU having Perriloux and Flynn split time (granted Flynn got more minutes) and winning the title the year after.

General Disarray said:
IdaGriz01 said:

[ :eek:ff: , somewhat]: ]The 2008 Virginia Tech (sorry, but I don’t know of a FCS equivalent) had the most extreme in one direction -- a two-QB system for the entire season. They made it work during the regular season (Probably because the QB’s job in the V-Tech system is to “manage the game” -- defense and special teams will win it.) However, it seemed to me neither guy got in sync in the Orange Bowl. They threw three picks between them (one a pick-six), which gave Kansas 17 of their 24 points.

Florida winning the national championship in 2007 with Tebow and Leak splitting time was pretty extreme as well.
This supports my point about giving the backup snaps. Perhaps Urban Meyer has the answer. In that season, Chris Leak took about 440 snaps (over 4/5 pass plays) and gained nearly 3,000 yards. Tebow took about 120 snaps (nearly 3/4 running plays) and gained almost 850 yards. The "championship" (quote-unquote) game had roughly the same proportions. Still, this was hardly a two-QB system.

NativeGriz said:
Billie Joe Hobart and Mark Burnell shared starting job for the Washington Huskies during their glory days. Both made it to the NFL.
You must mean Mark Brunell, who has been a solid-to-"damn good" NFL QB. Too bad Hobart "f****d over" his life and never did much in the NFL. Again, although they shared the QB duties, I don't consider this a two-QB system.

Re/MaxGriz said:
Or LSU having Perriloux and Flynn split time (granted Flynn got more minutes) and winning the title the year after.

Another good example of the "backup" getting more PT. Too bad Perriloux screwed up and got kicked off the team -- we'll never know if LSU could have competed for a repeat.

Nice input, guys. I don't consider any of them true "two-QB" systems, but they do illustrate the value of giving the "second" guy a chance.

And, by the way, you all stayed at the FBS level too. I'm guessing that most FCS programs don't have the depth of talent (read ... scholarships) to keep a top athlete on the bench.

They may not have gotten 50-50 amount of snaps, but both QB's were important parts of the game-plan in both the Florida and LSU examples. It's not as if they were just thrown in during scrap time to prepare them for future seasons. Leak had 26 TD's and Tebow had 13. Flynn had 25 and Perriloux had 10. They were strategically inserted to keep the defense off balance. I don't understand how that's not considered a two-QB offense.

Selle will most likely end up the starter, but that shouldn't stop Kemp from getting on the field. Maybe not 50-50 snaps, but I think they should game-plan on giving him a few drives per game.

IdaGriz01 said:
I definitely favor, and believe long-term experience supports, an approach where the backup gets significant game experience. If he’s good enough, maybe as much as a full quarter. Plus, he should play some when the game is still on the line, at least to some extent. ... But if you’ve got a lead and the defense is playing well, why not put the backup in for a couple series?

General Disarray said:
They may not have gotten 50-50 amount of snaps, but both QB's were important parts of the game-plan in both the Florida and LSU examples. It's not as if they were just thrown in during scrap time to prepare them for future seasons. Leak had 26 TD's and Tebow had 13. Flynn had 25 and Perriloux had 10. They were strategically inserted to keep the defense off balance. I don't understand how that's not considered a two-QB offense.

Selle will most likely end up the starter, but that shouldn't stop Kemp from getting on the field. Maybe not 50-50 snaps, but I think they should game-plan on giving him a few drives per game.

We're debating semantics here. I read the other posts as throwing up those dual QB systems as being somehow equivalent to the Virginia Tech model-- because the first one highlighted the V-Tech example in bold. Even for V-Tech, the split wasn't 50-50, but it was far more even than those other examples.

So, yes, Florida and LSU had a two-QB in the sense you mean. I find it interesting that Tebow only took about a quarter as many snaps as Leak, but scored half as many TDs. Which generally affirms your point -- which I totally agree with :thumb: -- that Florida's kind of two-QB can give a team a game advantage. I would love to see the Griz be able to do something like that.

I disagree that Bobby only plays his seasoned players. I've always thought he's not afraid to play true Frosh if he thinks they're the best ones to put on the field.

NzoneGrizFan said:
I disagree that Bobby only plays his seasoned players. I've always thought he's not afraid to play true Frosh if he thinks they're the best ones to put on the field.

I agree. I believe the Griz have great depth because BH lets the younger guys get plenty of live reps. Helps provide for a seamless transition from one group to another.

IdaGriz01 said:
IdaGriz01 said:
I definitely favor, and believe long-term experience supports, an approach where the backup gets significant game experience. If he’s good enough, maybe as much as a full quarter. Plus, he should play some when the game is still on the line, at least to some extent. ... But if you’ve got a lead and the defense is playing well, why not put the backup in for a couple series?

General Disarray said:

We're debating semantics here. I read the other posts as throwing up those dual QB systems as being somehow equivalent to the Virginia Tech model-- because the first one highlighted the V-Tech example in bold. Even for V-Tech, the split wasn't 50-50, but it was far more even than those other examples.

So, yes, Florida and LSU had a two-QB in the sense you mean. I find it interesting that Tebow only took about a quarter as many snaps as Leak, but scored half as many TDs. Which generally affirms your point -- which I totally agree with :thumb: -- that Florida's kind of two-QB can give a team a game advantage. I would love to see the Griz be able to do something like that.

Fair enough.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Gee...........

After reading this thread, it really makes me wonder why he doesn't skip college and go pro.

Sarcasm ill becomes you. Or does it?

We all agree there’s a lot of hype out there, which may or may not be justified. But it’s ludicrous to inject “going pro” into the discussion, even in jest/sarcasm.

As I see it, we’re exploring whether or not he might be good enough to share snaps with a “seasoned” starter. And if (a BIG if) he is, will the staff give him an honest chance to do so? There we have room for differences of opinion.

BDizzle said:
NzoneGrizFan said:

I agree. I believe the Griz have great depth because BH lets the younger guys get plenty of live reps. Helps provide for a seamless transition from one group to another.

I do agree with this contention, in general. However, thinking back over the years, I’m not at all sure that philosophy extends to the QB position. Last year was fairly typical, if memory serves. Selle did not play at all in nine of the Griz’s 16 games (he did record two incompletions in the championship game). Berquist had way over ten times the personal plays that Selle got (532 to 47 passes and run/scrambles). The number of actual snaps wouldn't be quite so lopsided since Selle would have mostly been in there to hand the ball off -- which makes the main point about "meaningful" snaps. That’s not to mention that nearly half of Selle’s meager chances came against Southern Utah.

You can question Selle’s ability and whether or not he deserved more chances. But he’s what we had behind Berquist, and he had hardly any chance to perform under game conditions. You can talk all you want about how the Griz over-achieved last season, but we were damn lucky Berquist never went down for any extended period.

i have liked cole for all the years he has been a griz............but i will give you a amen here brother, we were damn lucky the B didn't go down.........hence, not enough selle experience to feel comfortable about to take his place. i know there are not enough games for two qb's to play to get the experience without hurting the starters feelings. it is a tough decision, not like basketball where you can put in a sub here and there. course we do it on defense, why is the qb the only glue to keep it altogether.......chase kicked a$$, that was definitely glue that kept us all in the game and we could have changed out rb's and no one would have said anything if he was good enough. i know there are plenty on here that will shed light on the traditional football idea of the team evolves around the qb. but as idagriz01 has pointed out in the initial reply maybe things are changing.................. alittle.

Wow! Kemp is more Gooder than I thought! He looked like he was running for his life most of time back there. What a player-looked like tephlon-nothing sticks to this guy. COOL!

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
censored.jpg

grizatheart said:
This kid is a stud. He turned down a couple of PAC-10 offers to come to Montana and stay at QB.

well lets kepp him at qb and put him on the field. i mean if he only wants to be a Qb

hoopmaster111 said:
griz5700 said:
True. Lets not get a head of ourselves.. That nickname is funny/rediculous...

Don't get your panties all in a bunch now - Kemp was given that nickname by his high school coach his sophmore year so it is not a new nickname. We all know him as G-Money here in San Diego and that's what we call him based on how he plays the game. Whether he scores a TD for Montana or not, he will always be known as G-Money to us. Whether you call him G Money or Gerald makes no difference to us ;) :roll:
I love it when people stick up for their own-we are all pretty exited about G Money scoring touchdowns for the grizzlies nice post.

Back