• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

grading the eagles

ABQCat said:
BWahlberg said:
ABQCat said:
pussycatkillerz said:
My objective grade for the cats would be: ?
I like our LB, OL and TE and give them As. DB and RB at Bs. WR and DL are Cs. QB as a total unknown but probably in the B range. I do think that Johnson will be an All American returner, but we will likely start a true frosh at K making our ST a mixed bag.

- Isn't your OL pretty banged up and thin though?

- Agree on DB and RB, good talent in that group. Johnson might be one of the better RBs in the conference and I like Flowers as a shut down corner.

- QB I put as a C+ b/c Bleskin bring some experience while Prukop brings potential - however both are largely unproven.
Thin is the operative word for most of the Position groups including the OL, but our first 5 are all proven quantities. I believe moving Catalano to C will be a big upgrade compared to last year. I like Horn as a quality #6, but from there is drops off really fast. We drop off really fast at DB, LB, and DL as well. If the injury bug persists, this could be a long year.

Prukop will surprise people, but since he's never played a down I can't argue with you giving us a C. Bleskin will end up the #3 IMO.

Our biggest upside comes with Marino at DE and Roderick at WR. Both those guys could end up awesome but we won't know for sure for a while. TRod will need to control his attitude and settle in knowing he's never going to play QB and Marino will need to demonstrate he can play for Bo Beck (total hard ass who has demonstrated he's willing to make great players ride the pine because of bad attitude and/or bad technique.

Has Marino cleared academically to play? That dude looks like an insanely good pick up but I recall there's some SAT testing and other grade issues? Also it's darn tough to expect a dominant HS kid to come right in and adapt to the speed of college ball - sometimes the better highlight reel kids don't do much, while the unknown walk ons are the better ones.

ABQCat said:
Our biggest upside comes with Marino

I think it's interesting how so many Cat fans are confident in Marino shaking up the first year. I am sure that he will eventually be a great player, but it doesn't seem realistic for people to expect a high school talent to lead the defense in such a way. He will enter the collegiate level against offensive lineman who have spent all of their college years training physically with professional trainers to face defensive lineman. Marino will be deprived of that experience his first year and will face many obstacles. He may play as a true freshman and he may yet even start, but I can't foresee him being much greater than the average defensive end. It would take something magnificent for that to happen. Not impossible, but unlikely.

getgrizzy said:
qb - A
rb - B
wr - A
ol - C

dl - D
lb - C
db - C

st - C

definitely a contender for the league, but far from a lock. teams with good d are always a threat to beat them. when adams is off they're in trouble.

The A grade of today is only equivalent to a C- when I was in school.

BWahlberg said:
ABQCat said:
BWahlberg said:
ABQCat said:
I like our LB, OL and TE and give them As. DB and RB at Bs. WR and DL are Cs. QB as a total unknown but probably in the B range. I do think that Johnson will be an All American returner, but we will likely start a true frosh at K making our ST a mixed bag.

- Isn't your OL pretty banged up and thin though?

- Agree on DB and RB, good talent in that group. Johnson might be one of the better RBs in the conference and I like Flowers as a shut down corner.

- QB I put as a C+ b/c Bleskin bring some experience while Prukop brings potential - however both are largely unproven.
Thin is the operative word for most of the Position groups including the OL, but our first 5 are all proven quantities. I believe moving Catalano to C will be a big upgrade compared to last year. I like Horn as a quality #6, but from there is drops off really fast. We drop off really fast at DB, LB, and DL as well. If the injury bug persists, this could be a long year.

Prukop will surprise people, but since he's never played a down I can't argue with you giving us a C. Bleskin will end up the #3 IMO.

Our biggest upside comes with Marino at DE and Roderick at WR. Both those guys could end up awesome but we won't know for sure for a while. TRod will need to control his attitude and settle in knowing he's never going to play QB and Marino will need to demonstrate he can play for Bo Beck (total hard ass who has demonstrated he's willing to make great players ride the pine because of bad attitude and/or bad technique.

Has Marino cleared academically to play? That dude looks like an insanely good pick up but I recall there's some SAT testing and other grade issues? Also it's darn tough to expect a dominant HS kid to come right in and adapt to the speed of college ball - sometimes the better highlight reel kids don't do much, while the unknown walk ons are the better ones.
Marino is working out with the team and waiting for final word from the NCAA. His case is different than most academic/eligibility issues, and was way more complicated than the SAT issue that Colter reported. With that said, everyone is working on the assumption that he is good to go and just waiting for the final word. The real question mark in my mind (as I said) is his attitude, although I haven't heard that there is a problem and I shouldn't speculate that there is. It's sometimes hard for a guy like this, who had a full ride to the PAC 12 out of HS and a firm offer to Michigan State this year, to fit in at a lower level of play. Hopefully his year off has allowed him to mature. Obviously my B&G colored glasses are telling me he's going to be exceptional and will be named the starter early on in camp. With Coe as a known quantity, that would make us very good at DE.

Rjones61 said:
ABQCat said:

I think it's interesting how so many Cat fans are confident in Marino shaking up the first year. I am sure that he will eventually be a great player, but it doesn't seem realistic for people to expect a high school talent to lead the defense in such a way. He will enter the collegiate level against offensive lineman who have spent all of their college years training physically with professional trainers to face defensive lineman. Marino will be deprived of that experience his first year and will face many obstacles. He may play as a true freshman and he may yet even start, but I can't foresee him being much greater than the average defensive end. It would take something magnificent for that to happen. Not impossible, but unlikely.

They do that every year...Last year was supposed to be their title run.

Rjones61 said:
ABQCat said:

That's why it's called 'upside' and I didn't include him in my rating. Stupid effing eagle. Learn to read.

ABQCat said:
Rjones61 said:
ABQCat said:

That's why it's called 'upside' and I didn't include him in my rating. Stupid effing eagle. Learn to read.

Upside implies advantage. My point is that he is no advantage, yet. No reason to be upset.

That's why it's called 'upside' and I didn't include him in my rating. Stupid effing eagle. Learn to read.[/quote]

Upside implies advantage. My point is that he is no advantage, yet. No reason to be upset.[/quote]

Somebody got their nails clipped too short...and is not happy.

grizindabox said:
GPA-conversion-chart.png

Man, I never had a grading scale like that.

Back in HS a 90 was a B+ and an 80 was a C...

Rjones61 said:
ABQCat said:
Rjones61 said:
ABQCat said:

Upside implies advantage. My point is that he is no advantage, yet. No reason to be upset.

I took it as implying potential, or a positive, but that's just me.

Despite RJones' English as a second language crap, I have to say EWU rates very very high IMO. Washington better be ready, and even if they are it might not be enough. They deserve all the preseason hype. I can't wait for Sept 20 in Bozeman.

PTGrizzly said:
Rjones61 said:
ABQCat said:
Rjones61 said:

I took it as implying potential, or a positive, but that's just me.

Fair enough. Looks like I've misinterpreted 'upside' for a long time. Still many Cat fans have been projecting Marino as a dominant starter.

ABQCat said:
Despite RJones' English as a second language crap, I have to say EWU rates very very high IMO. Washington better be ready, and even if they are it might not be enough. They deserve all the preseason hype. I can't wait for Sept 20 in Bozeman.

Personally, I have projected the Cats with a rebuild year for 2014. However, it seems there are a lot of players the Cat fans are excited about and they have a schedule that could carry them to playoffs regardless.

E-Gals

QB - B
RB - C-
OL - C
TE - D+
WR - B+

DL - C-
LB - C+
DB - D+/C-

P - D
K - C

Lots of room for improvement on this team considering they shot their wad last year and this year WILL NOT go the way they think it will.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
E-Gals

QB - B
RB - C-
OL - C
TE - D+
WR - B+

DL - C-
LB - C+
DB - D+/C-

P - D
K - C

Lots of room for improvement on this team considering they shot their wad last year and this year WILL NOT go the way they think it will.

Better than I expected, surprised at the semi reasonable grades

marceagfan5 said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
E-Gals

QB - B
RB - C-
OL - C
TE - D+
WR - B+

DL - C-
LB - C+
DB - D+/C-

P - D
K - C

Why?

I am one of the few honest and relatively reasonable people on here. Everyone else throws out A and participation ribbons for all because they base their opinion on emotion and not scouting and intelligence.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
E-Gals

QB - B
RB - C-
OL - C
TE - D+
WR - B+

DL - C-
LB - C+
DB - D+/C-

P - D
K - C

No, way punting should be a "D". And IMO RB and DL should be higher by quite a bit. Other than that looks about right with all the unknowns we have.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
marceagfan5 said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
E-Gals

QB - B
RB - C-
OL - C
TE - D+
WR - B+

DL - C-
LB - C+
DB - D+/C-

P - D
K - C

Why?

I am one of the few honest and relatively reasonable people on here. Everyone else throws out A and participation ribbons for all because they base their opinion on emotion and not scouting and intelligence.

Fair enough, I would bump the rb and lb up, but i can appreciate this...

My grades for the Cats:

QB: B- (Gut feeling Prukop's going to turn out pretty good, based on what my Cat friends tell me.)
RB: B- (Can't get any worse than Kirk, and even he put up good numbers.)
WR: D (Not much there. They're hoping Roderick is their guy, has yet to impress.)
TE: B (I like their starter, don't know anything about the backups.)
OL: C+ (Their O-line might be better than ours for once, might.)
DL: C- (Unproven)
LB: B+ (Singleton & Na'a will be 2 of the better backers in the conference.)
DB: C- (Don't know why Flowers is getting all the love, every Cat fan I know can't wait to see him leave, and he has never impressed me. Then they've got that transfer Safety that never lived up to his hype after transferring. Think their DB's will be a weak link this year and teams will throw all over them. Kind of like us last year, very good linebackers with little talent behind them.

Back