• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ AT VIKINGS GAME THREAD

That was an impressive win, considering it was on the road with a very up tempo opponent. The GRIZ do need to work on settling down against that kind of pressure. I would have like to see a few less turnovers and better FT shooting. Oguine showed how important quickness and athleticism are against a team with that style of play. I am sure the GRIZ will handle the pressure better the next time they play PSU.

Rorie, Pridgett, and Falls are capable to beat that kind of pressure too. PSU did a good job in not letting Rorie beat them. Fortunately, Oguine took advantage of it. I was surprised that PSU did not switch things up on Oguine more. They just continued to press him and let his quickness and athleticism beat them. Glad that DeCuire stuck with letting Oguine beat them.

Onto MSU, here is to hoping that Sac State upsets the Cats tonight. A 2 game lead on them would be nice at this stage of the season.

mtgrizrule said:
That was an impressive win, considering it was on the road with a very up tempo opponent. ...
Of all the great things that resulted from today, here's one of the best: The Griz are 6-0 in conference and four of those six have been on the road. How cool is that! :clap:

IdaGriz01 said:
mtgrizrule said:
That was an impressive win, considering it was on the road with a very up tempo opponent. ...
Of all the great things that resulted from today, here's one of the best: The Griz are 6-0 in conference and four of those six have been on the road. How cool is that! :clap:

Pretty amazing. This young team played with perfect combo of intensity & composure. They obviously learned from their scrum against Northern Colorado. They're showing the mettle of a very tough Griz team. :clap: :clap:

Random thoughts after a couple of celebratory beverages.

-- Mike Oguine played okay, I guess. But he did miss that one shot, so....

-- Seriously with the psu PBP guy. Does he not realize that people can actually SEE the game while he calls it? As someone said, that's the most homerish PBP since the former weber guy, and I never thought I'd ever say that. This is another issue the league needs to address if they're not going to have impartial guys do PBP on Pluto. Of course they won't, because....bsc.

-- The bsc officials. Nothing more really needs to be said here, except, what the fuck does the league brass do all day? There's a glaring problem. Address it. At least make an effort. I know you won't because....bsc.

-- Not sure why psu didn't get players ejected when they left their bench during the minor scrum, especially after the bsc officials (see above) spent 8 minutes looking at the monitor.

-- TDC is special.

-- Moorhead's play diving for the loose ball was among the best efforts I've ever seen on a basketball court. I said right after it that that play might win us the game, and Travis agreed during the postgame, saying that very thing. He said he typically doesn't like calling TOs to save possessions, but on that play it was the best timeout of the game.

-- TDC said his team is tired. They had to get up at 6:00 am for this game. A couple of guys are ill (I wondered why Karl didn't play). They'll take a couple days off since no Thursday game.

-- TDC said he loves his team, and he's happy with where they are, but they are in no way complacent.

-- This was a great road victory. There were 18 lead changes and over a dozen ties in this game. This is a game that a number of former GRIZ teams would have lost on the road. But this team is just...different.

-- Nodak shocked weebs today (it's damn tough winning on the road, and the GRIZ already have 4 in their pocket), so if sac can knock off the kitties, it'll be a 2 game lead for the GRIZ.

-- Nice job by the LG taking care of bidness at home.

-- Go Sac!

-- Beat the kitties!

-- DAMN this team is fun to watch!!!

GREAT day to be a GRIZZLY!!!!

EverettGriz said:
Random thoughts after a couple of celebratory beverages.

-- Mike Oguine played okay, I guess. But he did miss that one shot, so....

-- Seriously with the psu PBP guy. Does he not realize that people can actually SEE the game while he calls it? As someone said, that's the most homerish PBP since the former weber guy, and I never thought I'd ever say that. This is another issue the league needs to address if they're not going to have impartial guys do PBP on Pluto. Of course they won't, because....bsc.

-- The bsc officials. Nothing more really needs to be said here, except, what the f*** does the league brass do all day? There's a glaring problem. Address it. At least make an effort. I know you won't because....bsc.

-- Not sure why psu didn't get players ejected when they left their bench during the minor scrum, especially after the bsc officials (see above) spent 8 minutes looking at the monitor.

-- TDC is special.

-- Moorhead's play was among the best efforts I've ever seen on a basketball court. I said right after it that that play might win us the game, and Travis agreed during the postgame, saying that very thing. He said he typically doesn't like calling TOs to save possessions, but on that play it was the best timeout of the game.

-- TDC said his team is tired. They had to get up at 6:00 am for this game. A couple of guys are ill (I wondered why Karl didn't play). They'll take a couple days off since no Thursday game.

-- TDC said he loves his team, and he's happy with where they are, but they are in no way complacent.

-- This was a great road victory. There were 18 lead changes and over a dozen ties in this game. This is a game that a number of former GRIZ teams would have lost on the road. But this team is just...different.

-- Nodak shocked weebs today (it's damn tough winning on the road, and the GRIZ already have 4 in their pocket), so if sac can knock off the kitties, it'll be a 2 game lead for the GRIZ.

-- Nice job the LG taking care of bidness at home.

-- Go Sac!

-- Beat the kitties!

-- DAMN this team is fun to watch!!!

The main reason why the GRIZ are winning are winning these kind of games, experienced and talented guards (Oguine and Rorie). We saw the growing pains the last few years with heartbreaking losses down the stretch. Those 2 are now experienced, calm leaders. They no longer panic or let things get to them. As for the future, it is great that Falls is getting the experience now. This will be his team come 2019.

Also the team defense and rebounding are among the best in the nation. Those things build confidence in a team. Now, the trick of keeping it all going and not getting complacent.

What a tough, grind em out, gritty, win with a lot stacked against them. This team is a blast to watch. Oguine with 39! Kid was on fire and willed that team to win

We overcame a lot to get the win. Losing Akoh to fouls, horrible goaltending call, refs' refusal to grant Griz timeouts called by players with the ball on the floor, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Next...beat the crap out of those kittens!

The game stats paint a fascinating picture.

Total rebounds were close ... 38 for the good guys, 35 for them. The Griz lost the O-board battle, but won on the D-boards (27-16).
The Griz had way more turnovers than normal (19 vs an average of 13.1), while PSU had only 14 (over their average of 12.3, but not that much).
In case you hadn't noticed (I hadn't) PSU leads the nation in steals, but they had one less than their average against the Griz (11 vs 12.0). The Griz are tied for #26 in steals, but they also were below their average (7 vs 8.4).
To make matters even stranger, PSU almost reached their season average in scoring (89 vs 90.1). That's 20 points more than the Griz have been giving up (normally 69.1 ppg). The Vikes did that even though the Griz D held them to 20.8% on treys (they normally shoot 37.2%) and 42.9% on twos (averaging 45.7%).

So how the Hell did the Griz win? Well, UM scored 15 points more than their season average by hitting 55.1% on twos (normally 45.7%), 45.5% on treys (31.8% for the season), and 70.2% on foul tries (71.8% for the season). So the Griz defense did an okay job, but the difference was their ability to get open and focus to have an outstanding night shooting.

The take-away: The Griz may have to win in different ways ... but they are finding the answers and winning games they might otherwise lose.

cmtgrizzly said:
That ball was out of the cylinder

Totally agree. That announcer saw the same thing we did and still got it wrong. Same with the charge that Oguine took. Sooooo many "no foul called" calls during that game. However, I didn't think he was as bad as you guys made him out to be. Not as good as Riley, certainly, but not that bad.

Thank God we didn't have to watch that game with the super bright video board, holy cripes.

Great win, Griz!

IdaGriz01 said:

Total rebounds were close ... 38 for the good guys, 35 for them. The Griz lost the O-board battle, but won on the D-boards (27-16).
The Griz had way more turnovers than normal (19 vs an average of 13.1), while PSU had only 14 (over their average of 12.3, but not that much).
In case you hadn't noticed (I hadn't) PSU leads the nation in steals, but they had one less than their average against the Griz (11 vs 12.0). The Griz are tied for #26 in steals, but they also were below their average (7 vs 8.4).
To make matters even stranger, PSU almost reached their season average in scoring (89 vs 90.1). That's 20 points more than the Griz have been giving up (normally 69.1 ppg). The Vikes did that even though the Griz D held them to 20.8% on treys (they normally shoot 37.2%) and 42.9% on twos (averaging 45.7%).

So how the Hell did the Griz win? Well, UM scored 15 points more than their season average by hitting 55.1% on twos (normally 45.7%), 45.5% on treys (31.8% for the season), and 70.2% on foul tries (71.8% for the season). So the Griz defense did an okay job, but the difference was their ability to get open and focus to have an outstanding night shooting.

The take-away: The Griz may have to win in different ways ... but they are finding the answers and winning games they might otherwise lose.

UM went in and held on again for a victory which is a characteristic of a good team.

Maybe an important factor was that PSU had two forwards out of this game. Brandon Hollins (starter) and Jamie Orme are two of their best athletes and defenders. Both are important to PSU's press and Brandon Hollins is an important contributor on offense. I wonder how successful your guard would have been driving to the basket if these two forwards were playing and challenging him at the rim.

GoldenEagle said:
IdaGriz01 said:

UM went in and held on again for a victory which is a characteristic of a good team.

Maybe an important factor was that PSU had two forwards out of this game. Brandon Hollins (starter) and Jamie Orme are two of their best athletes and defenders. Both are important to PSU's press and Brandon Hollins is an important contributor on offense. I wonder how successful your guard would have been driving to the basket if these two forwards were playing and challenging him at the rim.

Odd then that they crushed the cats, forcing like 1,787 turnovers.

How'd it go in lovely cheney yesterday? Also, congrats to your AD.

PeauxRouge said:
cmtgrizzly said:
That ball was out of the cylinder

Totally agree. That announcer saw the same thing we did and still got it wrong. Same with the charge that Oguine took. Sooooo many "no foul called" calls during that game. However, I didn't think he was as bad as you guys made him out to be. Not as good as Riley, certainly, but not that bad.

Thank God we didn't have to watch that game with the super bright video board, holy cripes.

Great win, Griz!

Interesting play-by-play announcer. His analytical commentary was often outrageously biased. BUT -- as a play-by-play announcer -- his descriptions were colorful and highly complimentary...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/952305082631991297[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/952289182897942528[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/952313602718842880[/tweet]

This final clip is sort of a "single-possession" metaphor of Montana's win. Despite the miss, a great tap-out by Kryslo, and a superb assist from Falls that collapsed the defense. The reaction by the bench & fans says it all.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/952314246804615168[/tweet]

EverettGriz said:
GoldenEagle said:
IdaGriz01 said:

I never said MSU was a good team. Being your travel partners they played the same weak teams early in the conference schedule, and that biased their conference win/loss ratio.

As for the EAGS they played the vandals without two starters and blew an early lead to a good team. The two best teams in the BSC played in Cheney last night.

As for the AD, he was good but I have no worries as the EAGS will replace him with a quality person that won't have to lick the boots of billionaires.

As for the EAGS they played the vandals without two starters and blew an early lead to a good team. The two best teams in the BSC played in Cheney last night.

mmfft...mfft...mmfffft...BWAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoldenEagle said:
EverettGriz said:
GoldenEagle said:
IdaGriz01 said:

I never said MSU was a good team. Being your travel partners they played the same weak teams early in the conference schedule, and that biased their conference win/loss ratio.

As for the AD, he was good but I have no worries as the EAGS will replace him with a quality person that won't have to lick the boots of billionaires.
I watched that game. that was not the two best teams in the bsc, not even close :coffee:

If anyone cares, the best team in the bsc -- by a YUGE margin -- plays the second best team in bozo next week. The 3rd best team got beat in the Forks today, #4 got beat at home by the GRIZ today. #5 went on the road and beat up on ewooooo yesterday. isu is likely six, sac 7th, maybe ewoooo 8, although you could make a solid argument for lower. After that....

Seriously Goldenshower, or perhaps you're the PSU homer announcer, check the sagarin rankings and gain some knowledge of basketball and the big sky conference. For you to claim EWU is the best team in the conference takes away any and all credibility....not that you had any to begin with.

Back