• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz-Carroll

Griz just came off a long road trip against much higher quality competition. I think many teams would look down on a home opponent from a lower division and Carroll was good enough to expose a flat Griz team. Personally, I'm happy with a W.

My observation from the game. Carroll has better fundamental players and Griz by no means have one of their most talented teams ever. Carroll has at least 3 kids who could play lots of minutes for Griz.

Wyman kid from GF is a player. 6'6" jumps out of the gym, handles the ball and shoots with form and positive results. Did he even get a look from the Griz? Big reason GF thumped Hellgate and Tinkle his senior year. Imhoff totally schooled Griz early...yes they did clamp down on him in 2nd half, refs got him in foul trouble and he got a bit worn out late in the game. Strong, finds gets and makes the classic 13 - 15 foot jumpers, can handle it and take to the basket, and rebounds well. Kalajaye stayed with both Oguine and Rorie on the defensive end for most of the game.

Frustrating to watch Griz shoot FT's Wow! Akoh has poor form and one look at one FT attempt and you know he'll never crack 70%. Krislovic...been watching him clang 4 footers for 4 years, actually one of the better form FT shooters they have but not much touch. Timmy Falls said to be a shooter...one look at his side spinning 3 point shot and again, he may get hot some games, but appear to be by no means a consistent fundamentally sound shooter. Pretty impressed with Moorhead so far this year. He shoots it well...but that little weird hitch makes it appear he'll always have up games and down games.

Fans, coaches and players will say the Griz overlooked Carroll. They must have done the same in 2015 when they beat them by only 9. Funny to watch the Griz parade in their bench with 30 or seconds left in the game! Quality development time no doubt!

Went home and watched Portland State thump Stanford right after this game and after hearing Travis postgame talking about how good Stanford is. I hope I'm wrong but 4th to 6th in Big Sky could be looming.

Athleticism is very important in basketball.....fundamental skills are too.

Meh. Carroll hung with Purdue as well. They're an outstanding NAIA team.

Griz will be fine (although I agree that 3 point and FT shooting has to improve).

A lot of things to like about this team, but also, several apparent weaknesses, mostly around shooting. Pick your champagne; pick your poison.

Mousegriz said:
My observation from the game. Carroll has better fundamental players and Griz by no means have one of their most talented teams ever. Carroll has at least 3 kids who could play lots of minutes for Griz.

Wyman kid from GF is a player. 6'6" jumps out of the gym, handles the ball and shoots with form and positive results. Did he even get a look from the Griz? Big reason GF thumped Hellgate and Tinkle his senior year. Imhoff totally schooled Griz early...yes they did clamp down on him in 2nd half, refs got him in foul trouble and he got a bit worn out late in the game. Strong, finds gets and makes the classic 13 - 15 foot jumpers, can handle it and take to the basket, and rebounds well. Kalajaye stayed with both Oguine and Rorie on the defensive end for most of the game.

Frustrating to watch Griz shoot FT's Wow! Akoh has poor form and one look at one FT attempt and you know he'll never crack 70%. Krislovic...been watching him clang 4 footers for 4 years, actually one of the better form FT shooters they have but not much touch. Timmy Falls said to be a shooter...one look at his side spinning 3 point shot and again, he may get hot some games, but appear to be by no means a consistent fundamentally sound shooter. Pretty impressed with Moorhead so far this year. He shoots it well...but that little weird hitch makes it appear he'll always have up games and down games.

Fans, coaches and players will say the Griz overlooked Carroll. They must have done the same in 2015 when they beat them by only 9. Funny to watch the Griz parade in their bench with 30 or seconds left in the game! Quality development time no doubt!

Went home and watched Portland State thump Stanford right after this game and after hearing Travis postgame talking about how good Stanford is. I hope I'm wrong but 4th to 6th in Big Sky could be looming.

Athleticism is very important in basketball.....fundamental skills are too.

Spot on and knowledgeable. Falls looks a good athlete and has moxie, but a redshirt year spent form shooting would have been really good for him, can’t change mid season the side spin which even the kid that sits next to me pointed out. Akoh nearly airballed one FT to the side, but has upside elsewhere for sure. Our “shooters” FTs so far is what has me more discouraged. Still, upside in other areas. I’ve never seen a Grizzly jump like Mike and man is he fast. Timmy, Nicholas, and Sayeed have big hops as well. We are overall quick. The lack of anyone other than the top 8 playing is discouraging. Having Dorsey healthy and Anderson stay would have added good depth, but we’d still be sluggish shooting.

For me, the talk of "defensive intensity" is just that...talk. The Griz are ranked 306 out of 351 in field goal against defense. So play good defense for 29 seconds and give up a score. That's NOT good defense. Much like red zone offense in football...FINISH IT!

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/149/p7

Carroll's 6'6'' guard was a load and we couldn't match up the first half. Bobby and help did pretty well the second half.
The coach for Carroll had every right to be upset about charge call and the one on the other end right in front of him. Welcome to the road.
It's get really tiresome hearing people that can't go to games make their opinionated comments based only on the fact that Carroll is an NAIA school. They were a really good team that never gave up.

Going to be an average year for the grizzlies it looks like this year. Decuire's style of play may not be what the Griz need in a very deep Big Sky this year at the top.

GrizWhiz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Griz looked like they mailed it in tonight....
Were you there? I was and it did not look like the Griz "mailed it in." Carroll is undefeated in the NAIA and gave Purdue a pretty good game (trailed by ten at halftime.) Jamar Akoh was outstanding. :clap: He is just now finding his game after a long layoff.

Just think....if the Griz had the ability to shoot even 75% from the line this game would have never been in question and we’d have won by 18. We are gonna lose a LOT of games from the free throw line this year if this continues.

EverettGriz said:

Griz will be fine (although I agree that 3 point and FT shooting has to improve).

Completely agree. Not surprised to see the overreactions though. Seems they happen every year when one game doesn't go the way we think it should have gone. I bet there were similar overreactions in 2011 when the Griz beat Great Falls by only 1 point. That season went pretty well.

The game went about as I figured it would considering how good Carroll is and how they gave the Griz a good game last year too.

The 3 point shooting and FT shooting hopefully will improve. Rorie and Oguine shooting around 31% from 3 this year when they were both around 38% last year makes me think that it's just a minor slump and it'll improve. Moorehead is by far the most consistent 3 point threat so far this year (shooting over 40%).

Potomac Griz said:
EverettGriz said:

Completely agree. Not surprised to see the overreactions though. Seems they happen every year when one game doesn't go the way we think it should have gone. I bet there were similar overreactions in 2011 when the Griz beat Great Falls by only 1 point. That season went pretty well.

The game went about as I figured it would considering how good Carroll is and how they gave the Griz a good game last year too.

The 3 point shooting and FT shooting hopefully will improve. Rorie and Oguine shooting around 31% from 3 this year when they were both around 38% last year makes me think that it's just a minor slump and it'll improve. Moorehead is by far the most consistent 3 point threat so far this year (shooting over 40%).

No matter how good Carroll is, it doesn’t explain our inability to hit a free throw. 55% is going to lose games. Guaranteed. THAT is what I’m (personally) “overreacting’ about....I realize Carroll is a good team, but they’re NAIA for a reason. With our talent we should beat them by 20, and would have if we could hit a damned free throw.

EverettGriz said:

They are a good team albeit not close to Rocky's 2009 team.

AZDoc said:
For me, the talk of "defensive intensity" is just that...talk. The Griz are ranked 306 out of 351 in field goal against defense. So play good defense for 29 seconds and give up a score. That's NOT good defense. Much like red zone offense in football...FINISH IT!

There's more to defense than FG% though. Griz are also ranked #15 in turnovers forced. The aggressive style of defense the Griz have been playing may give up a few more easy buckets but it's also going to cause a lot of turnovers & result in a good amount of points off turnovers.

KenPom.com is a good site to see how teams are really doing on offense and defense. If you go by Defensive Rating (Points allowed per 100 possessions) the Griz are the 2nd best Defensive team in the Big Sky, giving up 103.3 per 100 possessions. Best team is Idaho at 102.6. That rating (which is adjusted for opponent) is a good one to look at when seeing how a team is doing defensively.

Potomac Griz said:
AZDoc said:

There's more to defense than FG% though. Griz are also ranked #15 in turnovers forced. The aggressive style of defense the Griz have been playing may give up a few more easy buckets but it's also going to cause a lot of turnovers & result in a good amount of points off turnovers.

KenPom.com is a good site to see how teams are really doing on offense and defense. If you go by Defensive Rating (Points allowed per 100 possessions) the Griz are the 2nd best Defensive team in the Big Sky, giving up 103.3 per 100 possessions. Best team is Idaho at 102.6. That rating (which is adjusted for opponent) is a good one to look at when seeing how a team is doing defensively.

I see that, thanks. Reminds me of an aggressive defense in football, made to get turnovers or maybe let them score, just to get the ball back to the offense.

The Griz would put up a truckload more points if they were consistently around 80% or so for free-throws and shot the 3 as consistent as Carroll did this game.

Man, the faint of heart live here!
Listen, nobody on this board has been more critical of the way the Griz are shooting. As I've pointed out ad nauseam, this is the era of the three-point shot, and the truth is, our Griz are sub-par at one of the most important dimensions of today's game. Foul-shooting? Ditto. And still:
--Against a schedule that includes four away games, against two Power 5 programs plus UCSB and Oral Roberts, we are four and two, and have been IN every game.
--Oh, Carroll--a trap game if ever there were one. Listen, Carroll had this game circled since it was scheduled. Every Montana kid wants to prove he should have been offered by the Griz, and think what a coup it would be for the entire program if they could bag a DI school. Our kids? No way. This was a Sunday game before they took off for California to face a Pac12 team. No way I was up for this game as a fan, and I'm sure our kids felt the same way. But I'll be up for Stanford, UCLA and Washington.
--With the injury to Dorsey, many of his minutes have gone to two true freshmen, Falls and Nicholas. Are these kids talented? No doubt! Are they true freshman, they are! Takes time to adjust from high school to the speed of the college game. As Al McGuire used to say, the best thing about freshmen is, they become sophomores. These two will get better as the season progresses, and it'll be fun to watch that progression. By tournament time, they will be playing like sophomores. Plus Akoh may just be rounding into shape after a year off.
--For all you cross-overs from the football board, remember, we're playing with the big boys over here. We can't get away with a second-rate "national championship." You guys decided years ago you wanted to avoid the big boys and stay in the "G" league of college football. Our pre-season schedule, the Big Dance--that's Premier League competition. You should expect perfection when it's Montana against the FCS competition, but not over here. Different situation entirely.

citay said:
Listen, nobody on this board has been more critical of the way the Griz are shooting. As I've pointed out ad nauseam, this is the era of the three-point shot, and the truth is, our Griz are sub-par at one of the most important dimensions of today's game. Foul-shooting? Ditto. And still:
--Against a schedule that includes four away games, against two Power 5 programs plus UCSB and Oral Roberts, we are four and two, and have been IN every game.
--Oh, Carroll--a trap game if ever there were one. Listen, Carroll had this game circled since it was scheduled. Every Montana kid wants to prove he should have been offered by the Griz, and think what a coup it would be for the entire program if they could bag a DI school. Our kids? No way. This was a Sunday game before they took off for California to face a Pac12 team. No way I was up for this game as a fan, and I'm sure our kids felt the same way. But I'll be up for Stanford, UCLA and Washington.
--With the injury to Dorsey, many of his minutes have gone to two true freshmen, Falls and Nicholas. Are these kids talented? No doubt! Are they true freshman, they are! Takes time to adjust from high school to the speed of the college game. As Al McGuire used to say, the best thing about freshmen is, they become sophomores. These two will get better as the season progresses, and it'll be fun to watch that progression. By tournament time, they will be playing like sophomores. Plus Akoh may just be rounding into shape after a year off.
--For all you cross-overs from the football board, remember, we're playing with the big boys over here. We can't get away with a second-rate "national championship." You guys decided years ago you wanted to avoid the big boys and stay in the "G" league of college football. Our pre-season schedule, the Big Dance--that's Premier League competition. You should expect perfection when it's Montana against the FCS competition, but not over here. Different situation entirely.

You can't say in one breath that we are playing the big boys then turn around and talk about trap games against lower competition and players not being up for an opponent. I call BS on trap games and think the term is used when a team is not prepared. Montana if they want to be considered great should not be within 15 of a NAIA school. Free throws and poor shooting from three will bury this team in conference. I hope they get it rolling starting tonight. They need wins not being "in" games!

Mavman said:
citay said:

You can't say in one breath that we are playing the big boys then turn around and talk about trap games against lower competition and players not being up for an opponent. I call BS on trap games and think the term is used when a team is not prepared. Montana if they want to be considered great should not be within 15 of a NAIA school. Free throws and poor shooting from three will bury this team in conference. I hope they get it rolling starting tonight. They need wins not being "in" games!
Carroll would undoubtedly beat NAU and quite possibly some other bottom dwelling Big Sky teams. They are very impressive. Oh, and one more thing, the Griz will have to wait until tomorrow night to "get it rolling'" They don't play until tomorrow night.

Then NAU sucks at basketball. I'm sure Carroll is great i will look for them when the NAIA championship game is played in march. I just don't think Montana should be playing close games against Frontier conference teams if they expect to win the BSC and make it back to the big dance! Weber st just beat black hills state 105-52.

AZDoc said:
Potomac Griz said:
AZDoc said:

I see that, thanks. Reminds me of an aggressive defense in football, made to get turnovers or maybe let them score, just to get the ball back to the offense.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Where have we seen that kind of defensive philosophy before? How did that work out?

Back