• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ expectations for NAU

grizcountry420 wrote
my point is, Its always a close game when we play down there...
Jaredkuehn wrote
Flagstaff is a notoriously difficult place to play
I've been watching Griz-Jacks games in Flag since the mid-80s. In 1995 (our first National Championship year), we had to kick a field goal in the last minute to win 24-21. Two years later, the Jacks kicked a field goal in the last minute to win 27-24. Another memorable game was in 2003. The Griz had several key injuries and it felt like we would get blown out. We won instead, big, the worst loss in NAU's history in the dome, 59-21; surpassed the next year by a loss to MSU.

grizcountry420 said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizcountry420 said:
This game worries me because we dont play very well in Flagstaff. I believe the last time we played there, we lost. I hope our players are focused and can take care of business but this game scares me..

Since losing in Flagstaff in 1987, the Griz are 11-2 in Flagstaff.

my point is, Its always a close game when we play down there...
Montana is 16-8 in Flagstaff and the wins were not all close; 59-21, 38-14, 23-0, 20-0, 42-23, 38-23, etc., so let's stick to the facts.

The elevation is more of an issue there than the crowds. Not only the fatigue issues, but the ball flies at higher elevation. In '13, JJ had numerous overthrows in a very poor game for him. Since BG has a tendency to overthrow anyhow, this could be a problem.

The Griz are seeing a lot of NAU '12 and '13 film, so I don't expect them to take this game lightly. A better test to see where we are.

AZGrizFan said:
I expect that NAU will get exposed. Especially without Cookus.

I'm not confident enough to state this publicly, but this is the thought at the back of my mind. Hey, if Gus has a bad day, we've now got Chalich and Phillips with some game speed experience.

NAU is doing better as the replacement QB gains experience with his team. I think our defense will rattle him. He will make some plays to the very good tall receiver and that will hurt us. The true frosh running back is due for a fumble and I think we jump on it. Their defense has not seen the likes of our offense since EWU blew by them. After Gus throws his five over the head tosses we come away with a great win as he settles in for a fantastic game.

Griz are deep at most positions so I think Stitt will be rotating a lot to keep guys fresh in the altitude. I remember watching the NAU game with MSU and not being that impressed, but that was in Bozo. If Brady can master picking apart the zone like he did against Sac, then I think the Griz win by 10 - 14. If not, then 3.

Just a quick thought on Gus's overthrows. All of us know that when he misses he tends to miss high and the overthrows in the middle of the field are definitely misses. When he is throwing boundary routes it's a bit different because if you are going to miss there, you want the ball to be high. Put it where it's your guy or no guy because low misses to the sidelines can turn into pick sixes really quick.

So not saying that he doesn't have some overthrow issues, he does. Just saying that some of those overthrows to the sideline maybe because the rush clock in his head is going off and he's taking a low risk shot in order to live to fight another play.

After all that, there have been a number of times on seam routes and go routes where I'd love to see him put a little more air under it to give his guys a chance to use their speed to make a play. He can throw such a beautiful frozen-rope with that big arm but sometimes less is more.

TxGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
I expect that NAU will get exposed. Especially without Cookus.

I'm not confident enough to state this publicly, but this is the thought at the back of my mind. Hey, if Gus has a bad day, we've now got Chalich and Phillips with some game speed experience.
They will only be used if BG gets hurt; Stitt never removes him for performance (think final game last year).

SaskGriz said:
Just a quick thought on Gus's overthrows. All of us know that when he misses he tends to miss high and the overthrows in the middle of the field are definitely misses. When he is throwing boundary routes it's a bit different because if you are going to miss there, you want the ball to be high. Put it where it's your guy or no guy because low misses to the sidelines can turn into pick sixes really quick.

So not saying that he doesn't have some overthrow issues, he does. Just saying that some of those overthrows to the sideline maybe because the rush clock in his head is going off and he's taking a low risk shot in order to live to fight another play.

After all that, there have been a number of times on seam routes and go routes where I'd love to see him put a little more air under it to give his guys a chance to use their speed to make a play. He can throw such a beautiful frozen-rope with that big arm but sometimes less is more.
All true, but those weren't at 7000'; JJ was never able to adjust and he did not have the overthrow tendency that BG has. Stitt has experience with his passing game at high elevation; BG, not so much.

DuCharme said:
'68griz said:
Gallatin Griz said:
Will JLM be playing in the game against NAU this Saturday?

Thanks in advance.

Go Griz!!!

Maul'em!!!
I believe so.

No. He isn't listed on this week's 2-deep.

Damn. knew there was no way he was going to be good to go after a meniscus tear. hope we have him back for EWU

I do think the Griz will win this game, but there are a few things they have to do to make certain.

1) Offense needs to sustain medium to long drives for two reasons. First it keeps their offense off the field. Second, it keeps our defense from getting too winded at altitude.

2) Defense needs to get pressure in the NAU backfield. Not only on the less experienced qb, but also on the young running back. I think our secondary can match up reasonably well with the NAU receivers, but pressure from the front seven will help immensely.

3) Continue to develop and maintain a killer instinct. There were flashes of this during the Sac State game. WHEN the Griz get up they can't let up!

4) Don't let NAU hang around. The outcome will not be good if NAU is close with 8 minutes left.

5) For Christ's sake, hit your extra points!!

GO GRIZ

EverettGriz said:
Here's a picture of Cookus being delivered for the pre-game warmup.

9.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:

kemajic said:
SaskGriz said:

All true, but those weren't at 7000'; JJ was never able to adjust and he did not have the overthrow tendency that BG has. Stitt has experience with his passing game at high elevation; BG, not so much.

Really good point. It's funny I've thought lots about the kicking game at altitude and the effects on lungs and such but not really about how it effects the passing game.

With all of this said on this thread I still think we will roll. We have that swagger back, their defense isn't that good, their secondary is young and will get exposed. Our run game is scary good right now which will open up the rest of the field. Our defense is playing lights out, they are without Cookus. Granted their backup is playing better and better, our defense is #1 in a lot of categories in BS and defense wins championships. Semore will have another brilliant game at DC and another great scheme in place to stop NAU. Our secondary has been playing very good ball lately AND their #2 receiver is also out with injury. Key on and/or double team their #1 receiver, stay stout in the running game, rotate players so the elevation doesn't effect us too much, keep the offense rolling and test their porous secondary early and often. I think the only thing we really need to worry about is that they have a stout D line that can rush the passer. It seems like every time Gus gets hit he is coughing up the ball. If our O line can continue to improve and Gus gets the ball out early, we keep moving the chains and rack up plays, their D line will be gassed by the end of the game. Griz win big, 41-27

Oh and JR Nelson is back as well as JLM. All is well at griznation.

grizfan406 said:
With all of this said on this thread I still think we will roll. We have that swagger back, their defense isn't that good, their secondary is young and will get exposed. Our run game is scary good right now which will open up the rest of the field. Our defense is playing lights out, they are without Cookus. Granted their backup is playing better and better, our defense is #1 in a lot of categories in BS and defense wins championships. Semore will have another brilliant game at DC and another great scheme in place to stop NAU. Our secondary has been playing very good ball lately AND their #2 receiver is also out with injury. Key on and/or double team their #1 receiver, stay stout in the running game, rotate players so the elevation doesn't effect us too much, keep the offense rolling and test their porous secondary early and often. I think the only thing we really need to worry about is that they have a stout D line that can rush the passer. It seems like every time Gus gets hit he is coughing up the ball. If our O line can continue to improve and Gus gets the ball out early, we keep moving the chains and rack up plays, their D line will be gassed by the end of the game. Griz win big, 41-27

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions based on games with MVS and SacSt., e.g., "Our run game is scary good right now." I hope you're right, but NAU would roll either of those teams. Your assumption that JLM will be back is subject to question as well. I was at NAU in '13 when we were similarly favored and they rolled us big, so this should tell us a lot about this team.

grizfan406 said:

Little birdie told me JLM will miss this week and most likely next as well

RayWill said:
grizfan406 said:

Little birdie told me JLM will miss this week and most likely next as well

Oh, I heard different. Well even without JLM we are the better team and I still expect us to roll.

kemajic said:
grizfan406 said:

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions based on games with MVS and SacSt., e.g., "Our run game is scary good right now." I hope you're right, but NAU would roll either of those teams. Your assumption that JLM will be back is subject to question as well. I was at NAU in '13 when we were similarly favored and they rolled us big, so this should tell us a lot about this team.

I am also making this assumption based on SUU. We rolled them pretty good and they were supposed to have a good defense. I just don't see NAU stopping us. I don't think they have a good defense. We however do have a good defense, and can stop them.

Latest posts

Back