• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ expectations for NAU

grizfan406 said:
RayWill said:
grizfan406 said:
With all of this said on this thread I still think we will roll. We have that swagger back, their defense isn't that good, their secondary is young and will get exposed. Our run game is scary good right now which will open up the rest of the field. Our defense is playing lights out, they are without Cookus. Granted their backup is playing better and better, our defense is #1 in a lot of categories in BS and defense wins championships. Semore will have another brilliant game at DC and another great scheme in place to stop NAU. Our secondary has been playing very good ball lately AND their #2 receiver is also out with injury. Key on and/or double team their #1 receiver, stay stout in the running game, rotate players so the elevation doesn't effect us too much, keep the offense rolling and test their porous secondary early and often. I think the only thing we really need to worry about is that they have a stout D line that can rush the passer. It seems like every time Gus gets hit he is coughing up the ball. If our O line can continue to improve and Gus gets the ball out early, we keep moving the chains and rack up plays, their D line will be gassed by the end of the game. Griz win big, 41-27

Oh and JR Nelson is back as well as JLM. All is well at griznation.

Little birdie told me JLM will miss this week and most likely next as well

Oh, I heard different. Well even without JLM we are the better team and I still expect us to roll.

Mine was a friend of his over here. Said he told him he felt good but they would not use him unless they felt he was 100% or there were some injuries. Said he is running on it though so who knows we could be surprised come game time.

Without JLM it will put the responsibility of the offense where it belongs. In Gus's hands or arm if you will. Griz will win big!

RayWill said:
grizfan406 said:
RayWill said:
grizfan406 said:
With all of this said on this thread I still think we will roll. We have that swagger back, their defense isn't that good, their secondary is young and will get exposed. Our run game is scary good right now which will open up the rest of the field. Our defense is playing lights out, they are without Cookus. Granted their backup is playing better and better, our defense is #1 in a lot of categories in BS and defense wins championships. Semore will have another brilliant game at DC and another great scheme in place to stop NAU. Our secondary has been playing very good ball lately AND their #2 receiver is also out with injury. Key on and/or double team their #1 receiver, stay stout in the running game, rotate players so the elevation doesn't effect us too much, keep the offense rolling and test their porous secondary early and often. I think the only thing we really need to worry about is that they have a stout D line that can rush the passer. It seems like every time Gus gets hit he is coughing up the ball. If our O line can continue to improve and Gus gets the ball out early, we keep moving the chains and rack up plays, their D line will be gassed by the end of the game. Griz win big, 41-27

Oh, I heard different. Well even without JLM we are the better team and I still expect us to roll.

Mine was a friend of his over here. Said he told him he felt good but they would not use him unless they felt he was 100% or there were some injuries. Said he is running on it though so who knows we could be surprised come game time.

Gotcha, well our O doesn't live or die on JLM so I think we will still be ok. I am not worried. I like that they will only bring him back if he is 100% I wonder if he will suit up and make the trip?

Ok, here's how my somewhat distorted logic works out in my head: We beat them fairly easily last year at home with Cookus playing. Chalich was our QB, and we had TG's defense. All that balances out the elevation and no JLM. This team is miles ahead of last year. One of Stitt's major points has been on the importance of winning road games. Montana 42-17.

kemajic said:
daGrizJ said:
One of Stitt's major points has been on the importance of winning road games. Montana 42-17.
So far, we're 1-1.
Stitt also said we "never lose at our House" before the Cal Poly loss last year. Coach's tend to speak "Coach Speak." Fifty per cent of what they say will be true. Proceed accordingly.

Montana rolled teams that we were supposed to roll. I remember, under Delaney, people would complain about not pounding inferior teams link as they did in the past. Again, if the NAU team that played the Cats shows up, I think Montana will pound another team. MSU is not good and it took a returned fumble late in the game to put away the Cats. Montana is deep and can/will rotate to stay fresh at 7000.

UMGriz75 said:
kemajic said:
daGrizJ said:
One of Stitt's major points has been on the importance of winning road games. Montana 42-17.
So far, we're 1-1.
Stitt also said we "never lose at our House" before the Cal Poly loss last year. Coach's tend to speak "Coach Speak." Fifty per cent of what they say will be true. Proceed accordingly.

Does anyone know what changes the coaches made to the road game prep or routine to facilitate better performance?

It's one thing for coaches to say it is a point of emphasis. It's another thing to implement changes to drive the point home...I'm curious to know how Stitt is leading this effort. Anyone?

UMGriz75 said:
kemajic said:
daGrizJ said:
So far, we're 1-1.
Jon Chote has some incredible coach speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RayWill said:
grizfan406 said:
RayWill said:
grizfan406 said:

Mine was the 2-deep list. Even mentioned it earlier in the thread. Fairly reliable source. :thumb:

DuCharme said:
RayWill said:
grizfan406 said:
RayWill said:

Mine was the 2-deep list. Even mentioned it earlier in the thread. Fairly reliable source. :thumb:

The fact that he's not on this week's 2-deep doesn't mean he won't be on next week's...

Htowngriz said:
The fact that he's not on this week's 2-deep doesn't mean he won't be on next week's...

Very true. But I'm not going to hold my breath on a reported meniscus tear. That usually takes months, not weeks.

DuCharme said:
RayWill said:
grizfan406 said:
RayWill said:

Yes the two deep did not have on it. That is what brought JLM in conversation up later that day. With that said Stitt confirmed today that he is running and working out on it and that he will travel to flagstaff with a game time decision if he plays or not. Used to be that a meniscus tear was at least 4 weeks though. Sometimes more.

If our hogs up front give BG time to work his magic with the amount of weapons he has at his disposal I just don't see any defense keeping us from our points. Defensively NAU may be better than EWU at this point but again the Griz will always get each teams best shot week in and week out.
I love this defense and we get JR back this week if for no other reason but to rotate players but his talent has to be respected, rusty yes but also fresh legs.
Not so worried about not having JLM in, that would be awesome of course but we already have lots of other great weapons ready do go. It would be nice to see him back for EWU but whenever it is I would rather have him for the Playoffs (god willing) than bringing him back at anything less than 100%
Only real concern I have for this game as well as whats left on the docket is just playing clean mistake free football. The talent is there!!!!!!

Umista said:
NAU is doing better as the replacement QB gains experience with his team. I think our defense will rattle him. He will make some plays to the very good tall receiver and that will hurt us. The true frosh running back is due for a fumble and I think we jump on it. Their defense has not seen the likes of our offense since EWU blew by them. After Gus throws his five over the head tosses we come away with a great win as he settles in for a fantastic game.

A few kernels of truth here. If U watched any of the ISU beat down he'd also tell you that Fisty will be sending pressure early and often. Keys to this game, as it has been for all those that weren't runaways, is the O-line and can Stitt get Brady in rhythm early. Some rushing yards will be a plus.

If so, there's a good chance they come away from flagstaff with a W.

kemajic said:
TxGriz said:
Hey, if Gus has a bad day, we've now got Chalich and Phillips with some game speed experience.
They will only be used if BG gets hurt; Stitt never removes him for performance (think final game last year).
But then I repeat myself again.....

Back