• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz LB Strahm arrested for DUI

I agree with the text while you drive, you are in the DUI category as well. A lot of casting of stones in this thread.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

argh! said:
the perpetrators all suck. so there you go, greenie. and there you went.

PlayerRep said:
How do posters feel about texting and driving, or cell phone use and driving? Compared to drinking and driving?

Some stats:

:Every year in the U.S., almost a half million people are injured or killed in traffic accidents attributed to the combination of texting and driving. The statistics are shocking, especially in view of the fact that this danger could be completely avoided. In 2013, according to statistics compiled by the Department of Transportation, 3,154 people died and another 424,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes caused by drivers who were distracted because they were texting or using cell phones."

"An astounding 69% of drivers (aged 18-64) in the U.S. admitted to using their cell phone while driving during the previous month."

"This activity increases the risks of becoming involved in an accident by three times over normal risk probability."

http://www.personalinjurysandiego.org/topics/facts-about-texting-driving/

"At 0.08, your crash odds have roughly tripled." Obviously, the odds go up was the BAC gets higher.

"Comparing The Two: Texting While Driving Is Like Drinking 4 Beers". To me, texting while driving is much worse, because while it is occurring, the level of distraction and impairment is extremely high.

Not trying to justify DUI or what Strahm appears to have done, but, like George F, it occurs to me that some of the outraged posters are probably not consistent with their outrage.
I drive better after a couple of texts. It relaxes me.

sdk.catfish said:
by George Ferguson » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:11 pm
The coaching staff doesn't set the initial punishment, the University of Montana Student Code of Conduct does. The coaches can decide to further punish after what the code says I believe, but they do not get to set or adjust what the code says. Whatever it says, that is what Strahm gets out of the gate.

I always laugh my f----ing ass off to at the notion that players get suspended for patsy games vs non-patsy games. It's already being brought up on BN as I type this. So to some's theory, Strahm's suspension shouldn't be for Valpo game because they suck. They think he should be allowed to play in that game, even though that's the first game the Griz play after his incident. Instead, they think he should have to wait to serve his suspension until a more important game lmao. But, I can blow that theory out of the water considering a senior starting LB who got in trouble over the summer was then suspended, per the code of conduct, for the NEXT GAME, which was arguably the biggest game the Griz were going to play in 6-7 years, the North Dakota State game.

I'm sure having a tough time making my point tonight and for that I apologize. My concern is not what punishment is handed out via the Student Code of Conduct. My curiosity is specifically what Stitt/Semore will do and if that/those actions will be consistent throughout the year with any player at any position. In theory the entire starting 22 could get DUI's in the summer and if the punishment was for a first game was susspension we would probably still beat Valpo. Butwhat message is going to be sent to the players. At a 3x blood level would once a week attendance for 3 months at AA be appropriate. Does Strahm's history warrant anger management training. I really don't have any big issue here. As stated in my initial post I'm just curios as to what Stitt will do.

Anger management for a DUI? That's a good one.

nzone said:
I would hope this has already been addressed at a team meeting. Go out and get a DUI be prepared to pay the consequences should have already been communicated. Strahm probably has an idea of his punishment. What it should or shouldn't be is up to the Athletic Dept. A one game suspension, some extra workouts, and an apology to his teammates seems appropriate to me.

A big issue with all this is the negative press we don't need. Granted when you drink and drive a number of things can happen but giving the program a black eye is what has happened in this case. (Thank heavens he didn't hurt himself or someone else). Im not ready to cast him aside but he would be on a short leash.

Oh by the way......driving at 3:am is a sure way to being pulled over.

He was pulled over at 1am, and got out of jail a bit after 3, according to the newspaper articles.

Ursa Major said:
argh! said:
the perpetrators all suck. so there you go, greenie. and there you went.

PlayerRep said:
How do posters feel about texting and driving, or cell phone use and driving? Compared to drinking and driving?

Some stats:

:Every year in the U.S., almost a half million people are injured or killed in traffic accidents attributed to the combination of texting and driving. The statistics are shocking, especially in view of the fact that this danger could be completely avoided. In 2013, according to statistics compiled by the Department of Transportation, 3,154 people died and another 424,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes caused by drivers who were distracted because they were texting or using cell phones."

"An astounding 69% of drivers (aged 18-64) in the U.S. admitted to using their cell phone while driving during the previous month."

"This activity increases the risks of becoming involved in an accident by three times over normal risk probability."

http://www.personalinjurysandiego.org/topics/facts-about-texting-driving/

"At 0.08, your crash odds have roughly tripled." Obviously, the odds go up was the BAC gets higher.

"Comparing The Two: Texting While Driving Is Like Drinking 4 Beers". To me, texting while driving is much worse, because while it is occurring, the level of distraction and impairment is extremely high.

Not trying to justify DUI or what Strahm appears to have done, but, like George F, it occurs to me that some of the outraged posters are probably not consistent with their outrage.
I drive better after a couple of texts. It relaxes me.

:clap: :lol:

Some more distracted driver stats:

"Texting and driving is 6 times more likely to get you in an accident than drunk driving. That’s right, it is actually safer for someone to get wasted and get behind the wheel than to text and do it.

Every year, about 421,000 people are injured in crashes that have involved a driver who was distracted in some way.

Each year, over 330,000 accidents caused by texting while driving lead to severe injuries. This means that over 78% of all distracted drivers are distracted because they have been texting while driving.

1 out of 4 car accidents in the US are caused by texting while driving.

The chances of a crash because of any reason is increased by 23 times when you are texting. Even if the crash is another driver’s fault, you will probably have been able to avoid it if you had been looking at the road instead of the phone.

Over 2.5 million people in the U.S. are involved in road accidents each year.

Of these, 1.6 million have a cell phone involved in them. That’s 64% of all the road accidents in the United States.

Every day, 11 teenagers die because they were texting while driving.

Of all the teenagers ever involved in fatal accidents every year, 21% were using a cell phone at the time of the accident.
Teen drivers have a 400% higher chance of being in a car crash when texting while driving than adults."

http://www.icebike.org/texting-and-driving/

PR, we get it. Texting and driving = bad.

So does drinking and driving, particularly with a BAC over .2. I've never understood the line of logic which suggests that one thing isn't bad simply by comparing it to another thing which is bad.

PlayerRep » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:01 am

Anger management for a DUI? That's a good one.

Actually there is a huge correlation between anger and alcohol abuse. You could spend several days researching it but here is one link to get you started https://www.ashwoodrecovery.com/blog/link-anger-alcoholism/

EverettGriz said:

So does drinking and driving, particularly with a BAC over .2. I've never understood the line of logic which suggests that one thing isn't bad simply by comparing it to another thing which is bad.

+1. I was just readying to write about the same thing. One thing being bad does not make a comparable thing good.

EverettGriz said:

No one has suggested that DUI isn't bad because texting/driving is just as bad. However, if people think players/people who get DUI's should be treated severely but ignore the equally large problem of distracted driving, then that's bad. And I believe people like that are hypocrites.

It never ceases to amaze how people like you ignore what posters are saying, and interpret it exactly backwards from what was stated.

EverettGriz said:

I believe it is the same basic concept as standing next to the drunkest guy at the party (Jodcon). You then mitigate your drunken behavior by comparing it to something as bad or even worse.

'68griz said:
EverettGriz said:

+1. I was just readying to write about the same thing. One thing being bad does not make a comparable thing good.

And no one even suggested that. However, thinking DUIs are bad and ignoring distracted driving is both "bad", and it makes one a hypocrite, in my view. The number of self-righteous posters on this board (not you) is high. George Ferguson often points that out.

f Strahm had been cited for texting while driving, or driving in town talking on his cell phone, I doubt that many would be calling for his head. That's my point.

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

No one has suggested that DUI isn't bad because texting/driving is just as bad. However, if people think players/people who get DUI's should be treated severely but ignore the equally large problem of distracted driving, then that's bad. And I believe people like that are hypocrites.

It never ceases to amaze how people like you ignore what posters are saying, and interpret it exactly backwards from what was stated.

You're something else, PR, I'll grant you that. There's something backwards here, but it certainly wasn't my interpretation.

First, has anyone stated (or even hinted at) that texting and driving isn't a bad thing? Everyone knows it, and more and more states are passing legislation to make it an offense. But beyond that, why is it even being discussed here? Strahm didn't text and drive. He drank and drove.

As for hypocrites, again, I don't understand the reasoning which suggests that if a person does a bad thing, it's not a bad a thing if others do it. Yes, most of us have likely driven when we should not have. Unfortunately in Montana, it's almost seen as a badge of honor. But if you'd like to take a shot at explaining to me how that justifies the action, I'd love to hear it. Just understand you've got your work cut out for you.

As a former Missoula bartender, I can tell you we wouldn't have been able to field a team if all of the players would have been pulled over after a night on the town.
Drinking and excessive drinking isn't good by any means, but most of you that state they haven't done it aren't being truthful. And yes, driving after too much to drink as well.

PlayerRep said:
'68griz said:
EverettGriz said:

And no one even suggested that. However, thinking DUIs are bad and ignoring distracted driving is both "bad", and it makes one a hypocrite, in my view. The number of self-righteous posters on this board (not you) is high. George Ferguson often points that out.

f Strahm had been cited for texting while driving, or driving in town talking on his cell phone, I doubt that many would be calling for his head. That's my point.

So I just have to know what would your rationalization be if he were cited for "texting and driving" and fans were outraged?

PlayerRep said:
'68griz said:
EverettGriz said:
PR, we get it. Texting and driving :lol: :lol: = bad.

:lol:
No one believes that for a second.Whenever a Griz player gets into trouble, you jump on here and begin defending them or make a ridiculous argument (see above) to mitigate their behavior. This is like clockwork, PR. Just be intellectually honest and own it.

EverettGriz said:

But that's human nature...yeah I killed a guy but someone else killed 3, so I'm actually ok. I'm amazed how people can spin themselves into self-righteousness by seeking out somebody worse to point at.

tnt said:
PlayerRep said:
'68griz said:
EverettGriz said:

So I just have to know what would your rationalization be if he were cited for "texting and driving" and fans were outraged?

Then I wouldn't be pointing out that some of the self-righteous types on the board were probably hypocrites. If they are consistent in thinking that drinking/driving and texting/driving are bad, and they also tell their wives to keep off their cell phones while driving, then they are not hypocrites. I will leave excessive speeding out of the discussion for now.

My view is that DUI's should be treated as outlined in the Athletic Code, unless there are extenuating circumstances either way. It is a misdemeanor. A misdemeanor is not a felony. For Strahm, who apparently has not had any prior issues, he should get his 1.1 game suspension, and do the normal extra punishment/conditioning imposed by the coaches. Strahm is a senior and leader and obviously should know better. Appears to have made a big mistake. I am surprised. As George Ferguson has posted previously, he is a nice kid, and I don't think he's a wild man at all. Some of my kids and their friends know him a bit, and have mentioned that he usually would only have a beer or two when they were around him (because he was training for his senior season).

PlayerRep said:
tnt said:
PlayerRep said:
'68griz said:

Then I wouldn't be pointing out that some of the self-righteous types on the board were probably hypocrites. If they are consistent in thinking that drinking/driving and texting/driving are bad, and they also tell their wives to keep off their cell phones while driving, then they are not hypocrites. I will leave excessive speeding out of the discussion for now.

My view is that DUI's should be treated as outlined in the Athletic Code, unless there are extenuating circumstances either way. It is a misdemeanor. A misdemeanor is not a felony. For Strahm, who apparently has not had any prior issues, he should get his 1.1 game suspension, and do the normal extra punishment/conditioning imposed by the coaches. Strahm is a senior and leader and obviously should know better. Appears to have made a big mistake. I am surprised. As George Ferguson has posted previously, he is a nice kid, and I don't think he's a wild man at all. Some of my kids and their friends know him a bit, and have mentioned that he usually would only have a beer or two when they were around him (because he was training for his senior season).

That BAC really shows a guy serious about training for about season that is a month away.

Back