• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Softball

I can't wait to get back down to Montana, first thing I plan on doing is watching these girls play.
I will bet we have a damn good team the next few years.

Bastards want $10 per month to log on and watch my girls softball team play today. Oh the joys of living away and being a sports nut! I'll read about it on line later, and will attend any games next week.

The lady's are still in the hunt for a playoff birth in their 1st year. Beating Portland St today and then pulling off an unlikely sweep of 3rd place Weber St will automatically secure them a spot. Losing any one of those games will keep them from surpassing Weber but 4th place Northern Colorado will still have to win on the road at 6th place Southern Utah. They're deffenetly on the outside lookin in but still have their playoff hopes in their own hands for now. Regardless of the outcome, the season will still be an overwhelming success. No one outside of Montana expected much from us but I think the Pinkerton hire might be just as big a hire as Decuire and Stitt. For what he's gonna build our program into, I think we're in the right hands.

I agree, Bama. I would have been pleased with just a handful of wins. To be competing for a post season spot is just spectacular.

The loss today does not stop them from passing Weber. With a sweep, we will finish 11-10 in con and they will finish 10-9. Not sure why we've played two more games, mabey weather cancelations.

Nice article in todays Missoulian rag news paper on the girls softball team and coach Pinks.

reinell30 said:
maroonandsilver said:
putter said:
EverettGriz said:
This is so damn cool. I'm excited for this program's future.

Wow! I agree Everett...if you are going to do it, do it right!

I agree. When it was announced that UM would start a softball program, I wrongly thought that they would start with minimum effort to just meet Title IX, probably with mostly in-State recruits and an old Montana high school coach. Instead, UM hires a quality coach and recruits out-of-State heavily. Then builds a beautiful stadium. We attended the ISU games this weekend and had a great time. THESE KIDS CAN PLAY! We are already looking forward to the next home stand!!

Not only can they play, but they would make a great UM calendar...What a bunch of attractive young women!

I'm changing my answer on the favorite player thread over on the football board to Meggie....she may suck or she might be an allstar, but she's my favorite griz player...until I check out the soccer roster. Maybe it changes then.....

Seriously, good to see you guy's softball team doing well. I'll root for the ladies in softball since we don't have a team.

After the season ended, coach Pinkerton said that he thought building the UM softball program would take 4 to 6 years, but now after seeing how the season went he thinks it could be faster.

The inagural 2015 team had conisted of 1 Senior, 2 Juniors, 2 Sophmores, 15 Freshman.

Pinkerton said he is recruiting 3 players.

SCHOOL...............CONF...OVERALL
Idaho State *$!,,,,,,,17-4......34-18
Sacramento State *..15-6......28-26
Weber State *.........13-6......38-17
Southern Utah *.......11-10....20-30
Northern Colorado....9-10.....17-25-1
Montana................8-13 ....16-34
Portland State.........8-13......16-35
North Dakota..........1-20......12-43

*Clinched Big Sky Tournament berth
$ Big Sky Regular Season Champion
!Tournament Host

Weber State To Face UL-Lafayette In NCAA Tourament
Jason Ashcraft - Big Sky Conference

5/10/2015 11:13:42 PM

OGDEN, Utah (May 10, 2015) – The Weber State softball team will travel to face No. 13 seed Louisiana-Lafayette in the 2015 NCAA Division I Softball Championship. The first pitch between WSU and ULL is scheduled for 9 p.m. Eastern and the game can be seen on ESPN3.

Weber State claimed its first ever Big Sky Conference championship Saturday as the Wildcats downed Sacramento State 13-1 in five innings. WSU pitcher MaCauley Flint earned the tournament MVP award.

Weber State will be looking to earn the first NCAA tournament victory in Big Sky history. The Big Sky Conference is 0-4 in the NCAA championship with Portland State and Southern Utah each dropping two games in the first rounds in 2013 and 2014.

For more information on Big Sky Conference softball visit BigSkyConf.com.

2016 softball preview

IF starters
1B So Ashlyn Lyons
2B So Gabby Martinez
3B Jr Bethany Olea
SS So Delene Colburn
C So Lexie Brenneis
bench
IF R-Sr Kelsey Lucostic
IF Fr Sydney Stites
C So Dani Walker
C-IF-OF So Madison Saacke

The infield should look the same as last year for the next two years with Olea being the only Jr and the others are just So's. Lyons traded starting time with So Tori Lettus at 1B but the rest started nearly every game at their position. By the last third of the year, Lyons was a full time starter having a better bat and far better plate discipline then most on the team. In a 120 AB's, she struck out 5 times, less then anyone with at least 30 AB's. Compared to Lettus's 29 k's(most on team) in 105 AB's. Lyons was also 1 of 5 players on the team to bat over .300.
Martinez finished 2nd in the con in SB's and 3rd on the team in runs. If she could up her .245 ba and .327 ob%, she could finish with the league leaders in runs. Add in her respectable .960 feilding%, she can be one of the best 2B in the league.
Olea is a lock at 3rd batting .300 and slugging just under .400 while starting every game last year. If she could up her power(1 hr) added to her .955 feilding %, our IF will be one of the most dominant in the league.
Colburn will be batteling C Lexie Brenneis for the league MVP by their Jr and Sr years. They are the offensive back bone of our team both batting at or just below .400. They were tied at 2nd in the league in slugging with a .727%. Colburn was also 10th in the league in runs, 1st in doubles, 5th in HR's, and 3rd in total bases. Her fielding is her only question mark finishing with 18 errors, 3rd most in the con. Brenneis on the other hand had one error all year with a .995 feilding %, good for 9th in the league. She did allow 46 of 49 base runners to steal bases against her but given everything else, I see her becoming one of the best players in the league after winning Fr of the Year last year.
The reserves won't get many starts but should get some quality opportunities to help out the team. Lucostic missed most of last year to a knee injury but should be a good corner IF back up as one of only two Sr's on the team. A home town girl from Msla Big Sky, hopefully she can contribute in some key games. Tori Lettus may start in RF but if not, she will probably be the #1 back up infielder. She played all over the infield last year but really needs to work on her batting hitting in the .190's. Incoming Fr Sydney Stites should get some time also. Pinkerton tried to get her some time at short in the fall but she will also probably play a little of everywhere. Back up C Dani Walker played mostly when Brenneis was the DP. Her batting avg needs a lot of work hitting .087 last year in 29 ab's. Saacke is another that could see time in the IF or C, or OF for that matter. She was primarily used as the DP but played everywhere else at given times throughout the year. A .230 hitter though, she could stand to up her avg some.

OF starters
LF So Mercedes Bourgeau
CF So McKenna McGill
RF Sr? Madeline Merritt
or So Tori Lettus
bench
OF So Mackenzie Phillips
OF So Katie Jo Waletzko
OF So Alex Wardlow

In at LF will be Bourgeau again. Starting in 34 games, she batted .247 while slugging .474, mostly due to tying the league lead in triples with 5. Her fielding does need some work finishing with a .882 fielding % after committing 6 errors but after a very strong fall, she's ready to make a move as one of the better players on the team.
CF'er McGill was the best OF'er on the team batting .311 and fielding .973 with 102 PO's and 5 ast from the outfield while committing only 3 errors.
RF'er Merritt, the only non-So in the OF(listed as a Jr on Go Griz but mentioned as a Sr by Kyle Sample in a recent article about next years incoming Fr class), was starting most of the games last year but if Lettus could improve her batting this year she may take the job for herself. Merritt wasn't a lot better, hitting only .212 but she struck out at a smaller rate and her fielding was serviceable. Phillips could make a push also starting 26 games while hitting .210 but her feilding wasn't as good as the others also.
Waletzko and Wardlow are serviceable OF'ers also but last year were primarily used in PR and PH situations.

pitchers
P Sr Meggie Reitz
So Haley Young P
Fr Maddy Stensby P
Fr Sara Stephenson P
Fr Colleen Driscoll P (RS?)

Reitz is the other Sr on the team and for now is the ace of the staff but that is only due to lack of experience from the rest of the P'ers. Reitz did have the only winning record last year (5-4) and one of only two shut outs on the team but she also had the highest era with a 5.88, over a run more then the team era.
So transfer(Mississippi Valley State) Young has experience but it was on a very poor team. She did receive SWAC 2nd team honors and some said she may have been the cons best P if she was on a better team.
True Fr Stensby and Stephenson come in as solid recruits, both winning their areas top player awards with dominating high school careers. Both had solid falls also, along with the rest of the staff and are gonna be expected to be major contributors on the 2016 team.
Driscoll is another Fr on the pitching staff that may see some action if injuries mount but is more likely to be the team's first RS candidate. She did pitch an inning in fall but will be the #5 P on a staff that used 3 P'ers last year.

"Get ready, get ready, get ready!!" Season starts next weekend with a tourney in Davis. Griz picked to finish forth by the coaches which is two spots better then last years 6th place finish. Shows a lot of respect for the young team. Gonna be a fun year, really exited for these girls! Go Griz!

Yes, to be picked fourth by a second-year team is amazing. Very excited about GRIZ SB.

I'm just astounded at the quality of head coaches that Montana has been able to attract and hire. Kudos to Kent and his staff.

EverettGriz said:
Yes, to be picked fourth by a second-year team is amazing. Very excited about GRIZ SB.

I'm just astounded at the quality of head coaches that Montana has been able to attract and hire. Kudos to Kent and his staff.
Agreed. The real trick will be to keep these coaches. I don't see Pinkerton going anywhere soon but TD won't last long and if Stitt was in the national spotlight before his arrival, two more years down the road after we win another natty, he'll be gone soon too.

Very successful opening weekend for the ladies. Returning home with a winning record for the first time in program history, not to mention Montana's first walk off win. To highlight the weekend was the performance of our two new Fr pitchers. Sara Stephenson and Maddy Stensby combined for 17.2 innings pitched and 2 earned runs. They combined for 14 strike outs while walking 8 and giving up 11 hits. Stephenson also finished 2-0 with a save. Future looks bright.

That's great! I watch the womens softball tourney on TV most years. Hope to see them in it soon!

Bhamgriz said:
Excited for this season. I'll be at the tournament at UW Husky stadium, that should be fun to watch.
Should be fun to see em match up against that level of competition. UW looks real strong again this year opening their season 5-0 in Vegas, including beating Oklahoma 10-3. Boise State will be a fun match up also. Bham? That's Birmingham, Al right?

alabamagrizzly said:
Bhamgriz said:
Excited for this season. I'll be at the tournament at UW Husky stadium, that should be fun to watch.
Should be fun to see em match up against that level of competition. UW looks real strong again this year opening their season 5-0 in Vegas, including beating Oklahoma 10-3. Boise State will be a fun match up also. Bham? That's Birmingham, Al right?
Bellingham WA actually. That tourney is only 80 miles from me.

Back