• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Softball

Bhamgriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Bhamgriz said:
Excited for this season. I'll be at the tournament at UW Husky stadium, that should be fun to watch.
Should be fun to see em match up against that level of competition. UW looks real strong again this year opening their season 5-0 in Vegas, including beating Oklahoma 10-3. Boise State will be a fun match up also. Bham? That's Birmingham, Al right?
Bellingham WA actually. That tourney is only 80 miles from me.
Gotcha, I wouldn't miss it either. I'd be at the football stadium in 2017 also.

Grizzlies ready for tough weekend in Arizona
http://gogriz.com/news/2016/2/18/SB_0218161914.aspx

Should be a good weekend. I'd expect the ladies to finish at least 2-3 and possibly 3-2.
Schedule:
Friday: vs. Northern Iowa 9 a.m.; vs. Illinois State 1:30 p.m.
Saturday: vs. Illinois State 9 a.m.; vs. Memphis 11:15 a.m.
Sunday: @ Arizona State 1:30 p.m.

They should beat Memphis and 2-0 vs Illinois State, although difficult, not impossible. Northern Iowa would be a much more difficult game. Of course #17 Arizona State is just a measuring stick game.

Gonna be interesting to see how Stevenson and Stensby continue their successful opening to their freshman seasons.
Martinez(.438), Colburn(.412), McGill and Brenneis(both .400) are all leading the Griz O. True Fr Sidney Stites also come out of the opening weekend slugging .429 while hitting the Grizzlies only homer. Her BA is only .212 though. Sr Meggei Reitz needs to rebound from last weekend going 0-2 in both starts with a 4.67 era.
Ultimately these weekend invites will prepare us for the con schedule where I think we could finish in the top four if not the top two and play in the tourney where it's anyone's game and a win gets us into the national tourney and the final 64. Should be an exciting year.

A predictable day one for the ladies. A 7-1 loss to a very legit Northern Iowa squad in 7. Our Fr got a little ruffed up, more so Stevenson. Stensby started and, if the O could have got going (only 2 hits), she might have pitch well enough to win allowing 4 runs (3 earned) in 6 innings. Stevenson came in and allowed the first three batters she faced to score which enacted the six run mercy rule in 7.

The back end of the double header seen a 17-6 drubbing of Illinois State in 6. The bats opened up with 21 hits including Fr and Montana product Stites's 2nd homer of the season. Those are the only homers hit by someone in a Griz uni this year though I'd expect some more tomorrow. Stevenson also rebounded from her opening relief performance to retire the last four batters, two with k's.

Tomorrow could bring 2 more wins. A rematch against Illinois State and a game against Memphis which is a team that has struggled in the early season. Should be a good day.

Losing 9-2 vs ASU doesn't seem too bad, this early and with so many young players. Coming away from this tourney 2-3 isn't ideal, but we showed some offense vs Ill State the first time.

Bhamgriz said:
Losing 9-2 vs ASU doesn't seem too bad, this early and with so many young players. Coming away from this tourney 2-3 isn't ideal, but we showed some offense vs Ill State the first time.
Especially considering going into the bottom of the sixth, we were only down 5-2 and out hitting ASU 8-7. I'm impressed. We're only gonna get better.

Here's a recap of the ladies somewhat successful weekend in Arizona.

Game 1 vs Northern Iowa, loss 1-7
Game was a pitchers battle through 3 with UNI recording the only hit. In 4th, UNI scored twice but one was unearned due to a throwing error by Olea. Both teams then went hitless in the 5th. Then the wheels fell off for Montana. Stensby opened the 6th giving up a double and a walk. Pinkerton then went to Stephenson and she walked her first two batters and then gave up a grand slam allowing 5 runs, 2 of which were Stensby's. Stensby then came back in to retire 3 straight but the damage was done. In the top of the 7th, the Griz made it a little interesting loading the bases with 1out. Stites then got an rbi single but the threat was quickly ended when Olea struck out and Loucostic hit into a fielders choice. Minus the 5 run inning and this is a 2-1 loss against a very good UNI team.

Game 2 vs Illinois State, win 17-6
17 runs, 21hits, nuff said. Both are club records and probably will be for a while. 40% of our hits and 61% of our runs this weekend were scored in this game. Like Pinkerton said, too bad you can't bottle some of that up. Especially since we lost to the same team 4-5 the next day. Stites was awesome all weekend but in this game in particular, she was 4/5 with 2 doubles, 1HR, 3 runs, and 2 rbi. Young was pretty solid through the first four allowing 5 hits and 2 runs. In the 5th, her first four batters faced went walk, double, homer, single. She was then replaced by Stevenson who faced four batters, retiring them all, two of which were strike outs.

Game 3 vs Illinois State, loss 4-5
Stevenson started and was kind of ruffed up. In 3 innings pitched she gave up 4 solo homers. Stensby then came on in relief and allowed 1 run in 4 innings but it was the difference. Montana could only muster 2 hits over the last 3 innings. In the end we gave up one too many homers.

Game 4 vs Memphis, win 4-3
The 5th pitcher in Montana's rotation, Driscoll started strong allowing 0 runs through 2. Then in the third Memphis got a 3 run 2 out rally. Young come on in relief and gave up 0 runs over the last 4.3. Montana got a little help for the win. A 2 out run in 5th to tie came from Martenez reaching first on an E-5, stealing second, tagging to third on a fly ball, and scoring on an rbi single by Breeneis. 2 errors on 2 seperate plays allowed McGill to cross home in the top of 7th for win. Just as easily as the UNI and 2nd Ill St game could have been victories, this game could have as easily been a loss.

Game 5 vs #17 Arizona State, loss 2-9
Stensby started ruff, allowing a single, a bunt single, a walk, a walk, and a sac fly; 2 runs off 2 hits. ASU's lone run in the 4th advanced safely after a Stites throwing error. The Griz first got on the board with a Stites solo homer in the 5th. Stites's 2nd throwing error was far more costly coming with the bases loaded and 2 outs in the 5th. Montana's 6th seen 1st and 2nd with no outs only to follow with back to back so's. They did get an rbi single from Saacke to make it 2-5, ASU. At this point the Griz were out hitting the Sun Devils 8-7. ASU 6th opened it up though. Back to back to back singles with 1 run scored. Stevenson then came in and gave up a 3 run HR to the first batter before recording the final 2 outs. Montana's 7th saw 1st and 3rd with one out but then Olea flied out and Saacke fouled out. The Griz did have at least one base runner every inning. Mostly holding their own against the #17 team in the country was a huge step for this team. In a couple weeks they travel to currently #9 Washington. Two more years and I think this team can compete for NCAA tournament wins.

Stites was the offensive leader this weekend going 10 for 20 with 2 doubles and 2 homers while slugging .900. Her 5 runs paced the team and her 4 rbis were only behind Colburn. Speaking of Colburn, her(.389), Stites(.500), McGill(.389), Brenneis(.368), Olea(.350), and Martenez(.313) all finished the week end over .300 although McGill and Martenez's numbers were a bit padded by the first Ill St game. Martenez also added 3 stolen bases this weekend.
Stensby was the work horse in the circle with Young putting in some good innings. Stensby pitched better then her 0-2 record showed. A 3.89 era over 15 innings, she spread out hits well and limited a lot of possible damage. Young's 5.06 era also isn't indicative of her overall performance. She pitched 8.3 innings giving up 6 but 4 of those came in the 5th inning of the 1st Ill St game where she didn't register an out. Minus that blemish and she has a 1.68 era the rest of the time. Stephenson struggled in 3 of her 4 outings after a successful opening weekend. Sr Reitz may be injured after struggling opening weekend and only pitching 2/3 an inning and walking 3 this weekend.

Holy hell. I just cannot believe what this program is accomplishing in year two of the program Damn impressive!

A quick preview of this weekend games in Phoenix at Grand Canyon University.

The Griz will play two games against Texas State, the opener friday and again saturday. The Bobcats are 9-2 including 2 wins against Oklahoma State. Their only two loses are to two Louisiana schools, Northwestern State and Louisiana Tech, both of which were shutouts. Currently ranked #32 in the ESPN top 25 rankings. Offensively they have one girl over .400, 3 above .300, 2 just below. They only use two starting pitchers but they're good. The staff era is 1.10. Williams, the #2 Jr has already thrown a no hitter against Montana's Haley Young's former team, Mississippi Valley State.

Saturday the ladies face Northern Illinois who is 2-3, opening their season last weekend. Both wins came against Florida A&M. Neaegel is the O with 7 of her 8 hits going for extra bases including a triple and two homers. She's batting .571 and slugging 1.357. Only one other girl is above .300. All 5 of the Huskies pitchers have started one game this year. Keegan's era of 1.62 leads the team but the staff era is 3.14 and that's not bad.

Saturday and sunday the Griz play host Grand Canyon who is 9-3 including 3-0 vs Idaho State and a tuff 3-2 loss to Weber State. Their other 2 loses are to BYU and UTEP.
Their O is amazing. A .389 team batting average including two girls over .500 and two over .400. With 13 HR's and 91 runs in their first 12 games, they look like an offensive juggernaut. Hopefully part of that is the level of competition they've been playing. Of the three pitchers they use, all will start but Nowlin is the ace. 36.0 innings and a 1.36 era both pace the team by a decent little bit.

This will be a tuff weekend and a good test against some good teams on the rise. 4 of the 5 games will be real challenges and Northern Illinois won't lay down and die either.
Montana is batting .303 as a team with six girls above .300 and Colburn pacing the team with a .400 average. Brenneis, McGill, and Colburn were known offensive commodities but true Fr Sydney Stites has stepped right in. While batting .382 and slugging .706, she is also leading the team in rbis and homers. She's also the only Griz to hit a homer this year.
Stensby, Young, and Stephenson have been the work horses so far but Reits and even Driscoll have pitched some. Stensby and Young have been relatively strong with a few momentary lapses. Stevenson has been very up and down. She leads the team in strike outs averaging more then one per inning but she's also givin' up 3/4 of the teams homers allowed with six. Reits may be injured because she only made one brief appearance last weekend.

My Prediction for the weekend is splits with Texas State and Grand Canyon and a win over Northern Illinois. If the ladies can limit their mistakes, they could possibly sweep Grand Canyon also. Texas State is the biggest challenge and will be a true test.

SoldierGriz said:
Hey bama...how are you connected to Griz softball. Just a fan? If so, wow...you are a true Griz fan.
Just a fan of all things Montana Grizzlies. I love how quickly these girls have become competitive. I've been a long time advocate for the U starting a softball team thinking that there's some good high school softballers in Montana. That's the same reason I'm for bring wrestling back. My one concern I have with them is after the lure of being a part of something new has worn off, how hard will it be to recruit top talent to come up to Montana to play softball. One thing we might not be able to offer is the chance to host a weekend invite before the conference season starts. Teams that try to do it like Iowa State have too play in some sort of indoor facility. Iowa State uses the football teams indoor practice facility to host there's and we currently don't have that. Other then that, I see big things on the horizon for these girls.

alabamagrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:
Hey bama...how are you connected to Griz softball. Just a fan? If so, wow...you are a true Griz fan.
Just a fan of all things Montana Grizzlies. I love how quickly these girls have become competitive. I've been a long time advocate for the U starting a softball team thinking that there's some good high school softballers in Montana. That's the same reason I'm for bring wrestling back. My one concern I have with them is after the lure of being a part of something new has worn off, how hard will it be to recruit top talent to come up to Montana to play softball. One thing we might not be able to offer is the chance to host a weekend invite before the conference season starts. Teams that try to do it like Iowa State have too play in some sort of indoor facility. Iowa State uses the football teams indoor practice facility to host there's and we currently don't have that. Other then that, I see big things on the horizon for these girls.

Lure won't wear if they win...

You ARE a great Griz fan. Well done.

SoldierGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:

Lure won't wear if they win...

You ARE a great Griz fan. Well done.
:thumb:

Ruff first day for the ladies in Phoenix. 0-2 against Texas State and Grand Canyon and out scored 18-2. Time to rebound. Another crack at Texas State and then Northern Illinois who beat Texas State on Fri.

alabamagrizzly said:
A quick preview of this weekend games in Phoenix at Grand Canyon University.

The Griz will play two games against Texas State, the opener friday and again saturday. The Bobcats are 9-2 including 2 wins against Oklahoma State. Their only two loses are to two Louisiana schools, Northwestern State and Louisiana Tech, both of which were shutouts. Currently ranked #32 in the ESPN top 25 rankings. Offensively they have one girl over .400, 3 above .300, 2 just below. They only use two starting pitchers but they're good. The staff era is 1.10. Williams, the #2 Jr has already thrown a no hitter against Montana's Haley Young's former team, Mississippi Valley State.

Saturday the ladies face Northern Illinois who is 2-3, opening their season last weekend. Both wins came against Florida A&M. Neaegel is the O with 7 of her 8 hits going for extra bases including a triple and two homers. She's batting .571 and slugging 1.357. Only one other girl is above .300. All 5 of the Huskies pitchers have started one game this year. Keegan's era of 1.62 leads the team but the staff era is 3.14 and that's not bad.

Saturday and sunday the Griz play host Grand Canyon who is 9-3 including 3-0 vs Idaho State and a tuff 3-2 loss to Weber State. Their other 2 loses are to BYU and UTEP.
Their O is amazing. A .389 team batting average including two girls over .500 and two over .400. With 13 HR's and 91 runs in their first 12 games, they look like an offensive juggernaut. Hopefully part of that is the level of competition they've been playing. Of the three pitchers they use, all will start but Nowlin is the ace. 36.0 innings and a 1.36 era both pace the team by a decent little bit.

This will be a tuff weekend and a good test against some good teams on the rise. 4 of the 5 games will be real challenges and Northern Illinois won't lay down and die either.
Montana is batting .303 as a team with six girls above .300 and Colburn pacing the team with a .400 average. Brenneis, McGill, and Colburn were known offensive commodities but true Fr Sydney Stites has stepped right in. While batting .382 and slugging .706, she is also leading the team in rbis and homers. She's also the only Griz to hit a homer this year.
Stensby, Young, and Stephenson have been the work horses so far but Reits and even Driscoll have pitched some. Stensby and Young have been relatively strong with a few momentary lapses. Stevenson has been very up and down. She leads the team in strike outs averaging more then one per inning but she's also givin' up 3/4 of the teams homers allowed with six. Reits may be injured because she only made one brief appearance last weekend.

My Prediction for the weekend is splits with Texas State and Grand Canyon and a win over Northern Illinois. If the ladies can limit their mistakes, they could possibly sweep Grand Canyon also. Texas State is the biggest challenge and will be a true test.

Hopefully our girls can bounce back on Saturday. I know they can. Tough first day, but you take a couple of innings away and both games can look quite a bit different. That seems to be the fall of many teams (even youth travel ball), one or two innings kill you. I know that we are spreading around the ball on the mound to see how we look for conference as well. Hopefully we can put it together and take it back to some teams the rest of the way.

Day 2 wasn't much better. Played a closer, better game against Texas State, losing 0-2. Northern Illinois opened up on us 13-3. Hopefully they can salvage a win today vs the hosts and leave Phoenix on a high note.

Bhamgriz said:
A win today! Against a team that beat them 10-2 previously in the weekend. Nice job ladies!
A legit road win at that. Way to go out on a high note after what was turning into a very frustrating weekend. Northern Illinois was a machine and Texas State has two dominant pitchers. Grand Canyon is a team on the rise and it was good to notch this victory against em. Hopefully next weekend will be a bit more successful. Our pitchers got some regrouping to do.

A sad day, could this be the year UM is shut out of BSC championships? Regular season or tournament hasn't happened in a long time. More teams than ever, more chances than ever, a weaker conferences than ever. If you cant win 1 in 24, might be time for a change?

They split two games on Saturday in Boise, but both their games on Sunday were cancelled because of weather.

Their first home games of the season are this coming weekend as they host Nevada and Nebraska-Omaha.

Good weekend for Griz Softball, swept 3 games @ UNC. Early 1st place showdown with Sac State coming up in Missoula this weekend. Softball might be the last chance to keep the conference title streak alive for UM sports.

Back