• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How Will This Team Respond?

PlayerRep said:
I am not worried about how the team will respond. They will respond well. Why wouldn't they? It's early in the season. They have nice talent and potential. The seniors have no choice; this is their last year; they need rally for their final season. They have much to play for. Why would they give up at this point?

It was a game they could have won, and it would have been a terrific win. Their rookie qb showed his potential, and will improve. Not having your starting qb is a big deal. How would EWU have done without Gabrud?

My bigger question is how good is this team, or how big is its potential. I don't know. I think the team has very good potential.

I know some of you are worried about Stitt and the asst coaches. I just can't believe they are as bad as some of you think.

At the beginning of the season, didn't most think we would likely be 2-2 at this point? Okay, we are. On to the next game.

We hit a buzz saw in the 2d half. EWU played great, and had the determination and confidence to come back to win, just like the Griz used to. Hats off to EWU. Some of their guys are jerks and have no class (just like some of their fans), but the team is good and played a great game on Saturday. I'm okay with that.

I really enjoyed the game. I didn't feel that the Griz gave it away. They just weren't as good as EWU, particularly in the second half. EWU played great, especially in the 2d half.

Maybe all the naysayers will turn out to be right. I haven't been telling them they were wrong, especially since late last fall. But it's our team, it's early in the season, and by god I am going to enjoy it and support the team (and coaches).

Great post....Most on here had us at 2-2 at this point with a blowout loss to EWU. I get the frustration with HOW we lost the game, I feel the same, but I predicted a high scoring close game(45-42 Griz pulling upset, but wouldn't be shocked if we are on wrong side of score to be exact). That is what we got and a better one then most on here predicted it would be.

I knew as I watched the game in Wa-Griz Saturday that EWU would make a run and I just hoped we could hold on. Having a veteran QB like Gubrud is huge and it showed in the second half.

Grizzly96 said:
PlayerRep said:
I am not worried about how the team will respond. They will respond well. Why wouldn't they? It's early in the season. They have nice talent and potential. The seniors have no choice; this is their last year; they need rally for their final season. They have much to play for. Why would they give up at this point?

It was a game they could have won, and it would have been a terrific win. Their rookie qb showed his potential, and will improve. Not having your starting qb is a big deal. How would EWU have done without Gabrud?

My bigger question is how good is this team, or how big is its potential. I don't know. I think the team has very good potential.

I know some of you are worried about Stitt and the asst coaches. I just can't believe they are as bad as some of you think.

At the beginning of the season, didn't most think we would likely be 2-2 at this point? Okay, we are. On to the next game.

We hit a buzz saw in the 2d half. EWU played great, and had the determination and confidence to come back to win, just like the Griz used to. Hats off to EWU. Some of their guys are jerks and have no class (just like some of their fans), but the team is good and played a great game on Saturday. I'm okay with that.

I really enjoyed the game. I didn't feel that the Griz gave it away. They just weren't as good as EWU, particularly in the second half. EWU played great, especially in the 2d half.

Maybe all the naysayers will turn out to be right. I haven't been telling them they were wrong, especially since late last fall. But it's our team, it's early in the season, and by god I am going to enjoy it and support the team (and coaches).

Great post....Most on here had us at 2-2 at this point with a blowout loss to EWU. I get the frustration with HOW we lost the game, I feel the same, but I predicted a high scoring close game(45-42 Griz pulling upset, but wouldn't be shocked if we are on wrong side of score to be exact). That is what we got and a better one then most on here predicted it would be.

I knew as I watched the game in Wa-Griz Saturday that EWU would make a run and I just hoped we could hold on. Having a veteran QB like Gubrud is huge and it showed in the second half.

Having a receiver that catches everything in his zip code doesn't hurt either.

RobGriz said:
Grizzly96 said:
PlayerRep said:

Valid point, drops defiantly hurt us. Lost some great opportunities to score and maintain drives to burn time off clock.

Grizzly96 said:
RobGriz said:
Grizzly96 said:
PlayerRep said:

Valid point, drops defiantly hurt us. Lost some great opportunities to score and maintain drives to burn time off clock.
I was more referring to their receiver that had 18 catches, but yeah, it'd be nice if our receivers could catch a contested ball or two.

And sometimes when you need something to happen you look at a guy who can make things happen..... Like JLM. 2 catches for 8 yards. Was he covered so well we gave up looking at him?

RobGriz said:
Grizzly96 said:
RobGriz said:
Grizzly96 said:

I was more referring to their receiver that had 18 catches, but yeah, it'd be nice if our receivers could catch a contested ball or two.

I knew what you meant and yes, he had a HUGE game.

Grizzly96 said:
RobGriz said:
Grizzly96 said:
RobGriz said:

I knew what you meant and yes, he had a HUGE game.
:thumb:

IdahoGrizFan said:
My question is why is our pass defense so bad. 500+ yards.
The second half showed no pass rush pressure. WRs were WOpen.
My question is what will the DC do differently to correct this?
Is our current scheme too complicated?
Why can't we seem to make changes mid stream to stop an offense from staining through or D like water through a hose?
If we just keep doing the same thing and hope something changes...... Well isn't that the definition of insanity?

Don't know why so bad.

Yes, with not much pass rush, and the qb with lots of time, or scrambling like Gabrud did, receivers will be open. Whether in zone or man.

I have the same question for the DC, and everyone else on the board. What should/could the D have done?

The scheme was made less complicated this year.

Don't know why we can't or didn't, or it didn't work.

UM played more man and press last year, and gave up 5 long passes, so they played more zone this year. So, we didn't do the same thing this year.

Personally, I credit EWU, Gabrud, the receivers and their o-line, more than I blame the Griz D. I thought Gabrud and the EWU O had the half of their lives. UM just needed more plays or breaks, from somewhere. Another turnover. A stop on those long 3d downs. A sack or two. More misses by Gabrud on the scramble/throws. Someone to catch him on his scrambles. Some drops from his receivers. UM needed to defend the swing passes better and more aggressively, and miss fewer tackles. I have no doubt that there were other issues, but I don't know what they were. Edit: forgot to mention getting in play calls to the D quicker (that could have resulted in the players not being ready or ready enough on some plays).

As the second half went on, UM was tiring. This was obvious. This hurt a lot.

And, the Griz needed more help from the O. The O had a number of missed opportunities.

IdahoGrizFan said:
And sometimes when you need something to happen you look at a guy who can make things happen..... Like JLM. 2 catches for 8 yards. Was he covered so well we gave up looking at him?

+1. Mr. Electricity... why no designed plays for him... the one game we didn't throw it to him 100 times lol

PlayerRep said:
IdahoGrizFan said:
Why can't we seem to make changes mid stream to stop an offense from staining through or D like water through a hose?
If we just keep doing the same thing and hope something changes...... Well isn't that the definition of insanity?

Dpn't know why so bad.

Yes, with not much pass rush, and the qb with lots of time, or scrambling like Gabrud did, receivers will be open. Whether in zone or man.

I have the same question for the DC, and everyone else on the board. What should/could the D have done?

UM played more man and press last year, and gave up 5 long passes, so they played more zone this year. So, we didn't do the same thing this year.

Personally, I credit EWU, Gabrud, the receivers and their o-line, more than I blame the Griz D. I thought Gabrud and the EWU O had the half of their lives. UM just needed more plays or breaks, from somewhere. Another turnover. A stop on those long 3d downs. A sack or two. More misses by Gabrud on the scramble/throws. Someone to catch him on his scrambles. Some drops from his receivers. UM needed to defend the swing passes better and more aggressively, and miss fewer tackles. I have no doubt that there were other issues, but I don't know what they were.

And, the Griz needed more help from the O. The O had a number of missed opportunities.

Thanks for your input, I am just very frustrated and it would seem nothing is changing defensively. You can't keep doing the same thing hoping for a better result. Eastern's QB quote is telling. Do you think Portland State won't try to do that same thing? What will we do differently to stop that? I guess Saturday will answer that question. My fear is Portland State will have a break out game and we will still be shaking our heads.

I think we'll get beat handily by PSU, haven't won on the road in the Big sky since 2015 and don't see that changing with this game.

RayWill said:
5-6 is a real possibility on where this team is headed. They fell apart last year when it got tough and they very well could again. Semore has shown has no ability to adjust and comments from EWU shows they knew it and counted on it. Defense exposed every game will be a shootout.

How does the quote show that EWU knew Semore had shown no ability to adjust? I didn't read it that way.

PlayerRep said:
I am not worried about how the team will respond. They will respond well. Why wouldn't they?

Why wouldn't they respond well? All of their mistakes are carrying over from last year. They continue to lose conference games. Have now lost 5 out of last 6 and the only win is ISU and we gave up 44 points to them. We've played the 2 lowest FCS teams at the beginning of the season so that doesn't measure how good we are this year. We really didn't play that well against Washington. I just don't see how you're not worried about it. This team is on pace to lose again this weekend to PSU and if that happens, then I can see the rest of the season going to shit and we'll end up 4-7 or 5-6 this year.

PlayerRep said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

Don't know why so bad.

Personally, I credit EWU, Gabrud, the receivers and their o-line, more than I blame the Griz D. I thought Gabrud and the EWU O had the half of their lives. UM just needed more plays or breaks, from somewhere. Another turnover. A stop on those long 3d downs. A sack or two. More misses by Gabrud on the scramble/throws. Someone to catch him on his scrambles. Some drops from his receivers. UM needed to defend the swing passes better and more aggressively, and miss fewer tackles. I have no doubt that there were other issues, but I don't know what they were. Edit: forgot to mention getting in play calls to the D quicker (that could have resulted in the players not being ready or ready enough on some plays).

IMO it was a combo of things in the second half, not just defenses inability to stop them. In the first half, the offense moved the ball well, thus keeping it away from EWU and Gubrud. The defense was able to apply more pressure because they were not on the field running out of gas due to this. EWU's offense was out of sync because of these two things working together.

Now.....the second half they came out of the gate and marched straight into the NEZ and scored. That would have been no big deal with an answer on offense then we can keep it from snow balling like we did, however a 3 and out (short one at that, less than a min if I recall) and defense right back on the field. EWU starts to get in sync with a veteran QB and we all know what happened from there.

IMO, a great response to the ewu disaster is critical and will ultimately determine how the rest of the season goes. Two road wins, we're at 4-2 with our confidence building, getting better each game and learning. If that happens, 7-4 or better is a possibility.

Lose the next two road games and the wheels will be off the bus and the season will be lost.

A split, we're at 3-3, and there's still a glimmer of hope for a 6-5, or maybe better season.

The next two games are must wins, IMO.

GO GRIZ!

Back