• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Its Time to Clean House.

tnt

Never ever thought I'd say this. This coaching staff has to go and along with them any administrator who thinks otherwise.

There are the football purists who love the game and every nuance about it savor every statistic and debate every call, play for weeks soetimes years. Thats great. They stayed home yesterday because it was just UNC.

There are the rabid fans who despite the fact the never could or once may have been think they are on the team. There are the super booster who spend $$$$$$ for the chance to be insiders and their egos stroked. They were there but pissed.

But yesterday was the first visible signs of the "end" The rest of us or as my buddy put it, the ones who fill 22,000 seats making the program possible for the guys above were beyond pissed. They spent hundreds of dollars and a day of their time despite dozens of alternatives to be "entertained". They weren't.

The coaches were playing a technical game that neither the players or crowd cared about. The excitement lasted one quarter. We barely won the second quarter. It was flat early in. The late crowd at half never came back. The rest started leaving. Its pretty sad when the group in my session start cheering for a third string quarter back on the opposing team, who is having the best day of his life.

As my wife pointed out for what we spent with season tickets, booster fees, brunch dinner etc etc. We could have flown to Seattle seen a great game, and an even greater meal, and really had some fun. We could finish out the season like this win every game take a great run for a Naty, and still wonder why.

The sad thing is most of us would sooner have a great game, and great experience win or lose, than a day like yesterday.

I liked the game. Had a great day. Talked to lots of people--all having fun. Didn't like seeing John Nguyen go down.

I would like to see the house cleaned of bad fans like TNT. Spoiled. Don't understand the game. Don't understand or appreciate sport. Bad for the program.

tnt said:
Never ever thought I'd say this. This coaching staff has to go and along with them any administrator who thinks otherwise.

There are the football purists who love the game and every nuance about it savor every statistic and debate every call, play for weeks soetimes years. Thats great. They stayed home yesterday because it was just UNC.

There are the rabid fans who despite the fact the never could or once may have been think they are on the team. There are the super booster who spend $$$$$$ for the chance to be insiders and their egos stroked. They were there but pissed.

But yesterday was the first visible signs of the "end" The rest of us or as my buddy put it, the ones who fill 22,000 seats making the program possible for the guys above were beyond pissed. They spent hundreds of dollars and a day of their time despite dozens of alternatives to be "entertained". They weren't.

The coaches were playing a technical game that neither the players or crowd cared about. The excitement lasted one quarter. We barely won the second quarter. It was flat early in. The late crowd at half never came back. The rest started leaving. Its pretty sad when the group in my session start cheering for a third string quarter back on the opposing team, who is having the best day of his life.

As my wife pointed out for what we spent with season tickets, booster fees, brunch dinner etc etc. We could have flown to Seattle seen a great game, and an even greater meal, and really had some fun. We could finish out the season like this win every game take a great run for a Naty, and still wonder why.

The sad thing is most of us would sooner have a great game, and great experience win or lose, than a day like yesterday.

Well, bye....

I agree with the point made in this thread. I have been a season ticket holder for 25 years. Can any of you remember a Homecoming game with so many empty seats in the stands? Entering the tail gate area pre-game, our group could not believe the number of tickets available by people trying to get rid of them. 10 years ago, trying to get tickets for a Homecoming game was a real challenge. Not any longer. You can just feel the energy leaving the fan base, every game now. It is just not the same as during the previous era. While the announcers proudly give us the attendance numbers each week, we look around the stands and can clearly see the scores of empty seats. While one wanting season tickets used to have to get on a list, or donate money to GSA to get seats, now anyone can get them without a problem. It will get worse.

While the UM officials formalize their plans for a stadium expansion, the fan base is diminishing due to the poor product put on the field the past few years. In the end, it is all about money, as we should all know, and when it starts effecting the revenue stream coming into the program, changes will be made.

But they need to be made now, preemptively before we lose more of our fan base. It should be quite obvious by now that this coaching staff can not get us back to our former level of play. Cut our losses now, and do a national search to start a new era. Too much nepotism and in-breeding has had a negative effect on this program. We need a new direction, with new blood, NOW!

PlayerRep said:
I liked the game. Had a great day. Talked to lots of people--all having fun. Didn't like seeing John Nguyen go down.

I would like to see the house cleaned of bad fans like TNT. Spoiled. Don't understand the game. Don't understand or appreciate sport. Bad for the program.

I get sick of your arrogant attitude, being condescending to anyone who has an opinion that you disagree with. You are neither a spokesperson for the team or its players, much to your chagrin. And certainly your constant judgement of our fan base with your labels of who is a good fan and a bad fan is boring and redundant. You are no better than any other Griz fan even though you think you are special.

PlayerRep said:

Not impressed with the BSC as a whole conference right now But why when any one has an opinion on a game that isn't the same as yours, they don't understand the game? He is a Bad Fan for giving his perception on how his entertainment dollars were spent. When you sell anything, it is not considered a good deal unless the perceived value exceeds the cost, simple. How is what he said bad for the program? Why is your perception of what is good or bad better than his perception?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not they own set of facts, and you should realize you are not the only one with the facts.

monte is a character said:
PlayerRep said:

I get sick of your arrogant attitude, being condescending to anyone who has an opinion that you disagree with. You are neither a spokesperson for the team or its players, much to your chagrin. And certainly your constant judgement of our fan base with your labels of who is a good fan and a bad fan is boring and redundant. You are no better than any other Griz fan even though you think you are special.

I get sick of "fans" like you who don't support the team, and spend much of their time tearing down the team on the internet. I don't care if anyone agrees with me, but I don't like people who profess to be fans but constantly criticize the team. Sorry to inform you of this, but people who support the team are better fans than people like yourself who don't support the team (and, in your case, don't understand the game of football). If you keep up your unsupportive crap, you will probably continue to attract responses from people like me. It's a free country. I don't have to agree with your BS.

Robsnotes4u said:
PlayerRep said:

Not impressed with the BSC as a whole conference right now But why when any one has an opinion on a game that isn't the same as yours, they don't understand the game? He is a Bad Fan for giving his perception on how his entertainment dollars were spent. When you sell anything, it is not considered a good deal unless the perceived value exceeds the cost, simple. How is what he said bad for the program? Why is your perception of what is good or bad better than his perception?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not they own set of facts, and you should realize you are not the only one with the facts.

Nope. I save the never-played-the-game label for special people who I view as jerks and truly not understanding the game or sport. Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that doesn't mean their opinion is correct, and that doesn't mean that everyone else who disagrees with their opinion is not allowed to disagree with it or criticize it. I find it odd that some people apparently think that being entitled to their opinion means that no one can disagree with or criticize that opinion. Why am I not entitled to to my opinion that some people don't know what they're talking about and are unsupportive and bad fans?

l3kPAlj.jpg

monte is a character said:
PlayerRep said:

You don't understand, he played the game, although it being Darth-mouth, a program that could arguably be beaten on any given Friday by many high high schools in Chicago and Texas.

Sorry Jack, for my deraguatory comments about your accomplishments, by why are you such a jerk.

What's going to happen when we get a new coaching staff that turns this program into a dominating one again? Fans will still trickle out after half time just like yesterday when we're blowing out teams like UNC... It's more about who we're playing that energizes the fan base more than anything IMO

Hey be nice to rep he's the only person here who played the game you're damn lucky to get to hear what he has to say. Keep everything status quo doesn't matter if we win or lose just gotta support your team. Goldang spoiled people who want their team to be best. I can't believe the amount of people around here who want to win. Don't you know it's not about winning it's about having fun. You could learn. Lot from rep he's such a great guy.

I stated my input on the issue yesterday, Saturday, in the Wa-Grizzly Stadium Expansion
thread. :coffee: ...given time even PR, the self-annointed smartest boy in the class, will have to deal with reality...

Well well, I think tnt has a point.

Not about our players but perhaps about our coaching. I think he has a valid opinion and many others feel the same way. Are some of us spoiled fans? I think I fall into that bracket as I simply have loved all the Griz teams for 60+ years. I was around during the lean football years! But I have enjoyed every Griz team no matter the sport.

The football teams have been very special to my family for many reasons. We love them period!
If one disagrees with coaches that is fair game in my opinion. No coach is beyond criticizing!
All share some blame at various times but most if not all of them are working extremely hard to create perfect teams. Some are very good and some fail. That is simply the way it is.

Concerning our football head coach, he is a very nice guy and I like him. He is doing the best he can as far as coaching our team. I dislike our offensive style and find it boring and out of date. I am anxious for a new person to bring back the old excitement we had in the past.

All Griz fans are just that :Griz Fans Period! Some are Dems and Repubs Poor and Rich. Some I like and some I don't. Complaining about the head coach does not make a fan a bad fan. Simply a pissed off fan.

Bitching about a player over and over makes the person a slob fan. I dislike slob fans.

We should hire Charlie Weis that would pack the place and get the excitement back! I posted a link from ESPN in another thread check it out and let us know what you think. We would dominate with a guy like that leading this team.

Believing that coaching fixes things at UM is tantamount to rearranging the furniture in answer to a disfunctional and poorly administered household...

Will I go as far as saying "It's time to clean house"? No.
Will I go as far as saying, "Our offensive staff has to step it up, in order for the talent to meet their potential"? Yes

Our offensive play calling inconsistency is maddening, frustrating, and agonizing. Myself and some other posters have been criticizing the offensive play calling for not mixing things up, limiting our talent, and not helping our young OL. We have been hoping for a break out type of game with offensive play calling. Much to my surprise, I was actually a very pleased and happy fan, which I give the staff credit for. Too bad that only lasted 1 half!!! After finally showing a sign this staff can mix things up, and actually give us an effective fun offense, they mailed it and put it back in "reverse" for the whole 2nd half.

The 1st half they consistently called plays utilizing the middle 2/3's of the field. They called quick passes. They moved the ball effectively because they mixed things up. They did plenty to keep a defense guessing, and to account for every player and the whole field. They called a wide variety of plays. Their game plan actually kept JJ clean, and helped our young OL. I honestly could not ask for more or better with the offensive play calling.

Prior to this game, I had broke down what things needed to be done for the offense to better succeed. I guaranteed, if this offense could do these things we would see success. We saw that success and what this offense is capable when the offensive play calling picks up their game. Seriously, that was one damn fine offense when the staff stepped up their game. For me, that is an offense I'd like to see all the time. Question for you all. Does that kind of play calling make this offense much better, than the few screens, and long ball play calling? Can you support an offense like we saw for the 1st half? For me, the offensive staff proved to me they are plenty capable of doing what is necessary for a great offense. That 1st half offense is an offense I can fully support as a fan.

Now that I gave them their due credit, here is some constructive criticism and questions. Why only settle for one great half of offensive play calling and execution? I don't know why, only this staff knows why. I can tell you, this fan was extremely let down and disappointed by the offensive play calling in the 2nd half. The 2nd half was a perfect opportunity to fine tune things, and work on things this offense needs to improve on. It was an opportunity to build our depth and get that depth experience in more than just handing off the damn ball!!

I respect personally and professionally not running up the score. What I do not understand is taking rest the game off, when there was plenty of work to be done to improve this team. Why not continue to mix things up with the play calling to get the offense more confident in their ability to perform and execute consistently? Move the ball consistently to our opponents red zone, then work on improving our other weakness, our kicking game. I honestly feel it would be hugely beneficial to get our FG kicking team another 3 to 4 opportunities to find their consistency. Hell did our staff even think of that opportunity?

If you are satisfied with 1 half of great offense, then why not get Gustafson and/or Simis in the game for at least quarter to mix things up and give them real game experience doing more than handing the ball off? Again a perfect learning opportunity delivered to the coaching staff. What did they do with that opportunity? They sent it back with "Return to Sender"!!!

Not only did the offensive play calling not take advantage of learning opportunities, but they let the defense down. We have a few too many injuries on the defensive side of the ball. Continuing to work on the offense, would have kept some key defensive players off the field for more rest. It would have also made their stats look much better for their efforts. Instead, we still have our defense on the field longer than we should have, and increase the chances of more injuries.

Great job coaches on a terrific 1st half. Why continue to settle for one great half?? This staff just sent mixed messages not only to the fans but their players. Coaches preach to players about giving it their all for a whole game. Yet, how are players supposed to 100% buy into that when our offensive staff cannot give it their all for more than a half? For the benefit of this team improving, more morale, and confidence, can this staff commit to a full game of proper play calling and learning opportunity? This staff pissed away 1 half of opportunity in the UNC game.

Here is to hoping they will commit to full games of coaching 100%. If that is done, this team can be amongst the best in the nation this year and live up their talent. Coaches, please quit selling yourselves and players short!!!!

Back