• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jeremy Calhoun

HookedonGriz said:
Freshman Keenan Curran (82) has been playing special teams and is a freshman

Technically a freshman yes. However in his 2nd year of post high school football.

Calhoun looked great! Like many of us predicted he would.

Calhoun had to play, because you need 3 running backs per game. (Counts didn't travel, Logwood got injured during the game, that left Nguyen, Favors and Calhoun).

I'll take any RB with a pulse except Nguyen. He has heart but cannot find a hole to save his skin and is too small for the inside game. We need a feature back and are still looking four games into the season... Stitt will find one to his liking.

Lets start Calhoun and back him up with Favors. If Logwood is down those are the only options we have.

I feel kinda bad about blowing Calhoun's redshirt, but it looks like he was needed. I hope we don't regret it three years from now.

66volvo said:
I'll take any RB with a pulse except Nguyen. He has heart but cannot find a hole to save his skin and is too small for the inside game. We need a feature back and are still looking four games into the season... Stitt will find one to his liking.

Serious question; do we need a feature back? Can we be successful with running back by committee? I remember some of Read's teams doing it that way.

Umista said:
Cali Calhoun looks better than I thought and he might just be the back we have been needing. Needs more game time and he could be hugh as we move along.

Spanky said:
A couple of the insiders on the board were convinced he wouldn't play this year.

Stitt on Jeremy Calhoun: "He's the real deal. He's ... a guy who would have been in our top two immediately if we had played him. (The plan was to have Calhoun travel with the team in case of emergencies but never see the field this year, thus maintaining his four seasons of playing eligibility with a redshirt. The plans had to be scrapped against UC Davis.) We've liked him all along. We just thought with four running backs we could hold him and redshirt him. Now we're excited."

BTW, because of preseason injuries, UC Davis uses a true freshman running back in Mitchell Layton (No. 32), who was also their leading rusher against Montana.

I've been updating my printable roster today and was looking for true freshmen that have been playing. The Big Sky Conference stats list has a section called Participation Report. These are the true freshmen I spotted.

Jeremy Calhoun is listed on the Participation Report for the Liberty game. An error?

The one player that doesn't make sense is No. 38 Jeffrey Salamon, a true freshman wide receiver. He is credited with only making tackles. Why would they burn his redshirt year to make tackles on special teams? Was he mixed up with No. 38 Tyrel Garner, a junior cornerback?

NDSU http://www.bigskyconf.com/custompages/football/2015/um-ndsu.htm
9-Justin Calhoun (Jeremy Calhoun's twin brother)

Cal Poly http://www.bigskyconf.com/custompages/football/2015/um-cp.htm
38-Jeffrey Salamon

Liberty http://www.bigskyconf.com/custompages/football/2015/lufb1503.htm
8-Jeremy Calhoun

NAU http://www.bigskyconf.com/custompages/football/2015/um-nau.htm
38-Jeffrey Salamon

UC Davis http://www.bigskyconf.com/custompages/football/2015/oct0215.htm
8-Jeremy Calhoun
38-Jeffrey Salamon
53-Dante Olson
82-J. Louie-McGee
84-Donovan Rooks

Yeah, UM needs to make sure they take care of those errors. I know Olson, McGee, Rooks and Justin Calhoun have NOT played in a game this season.

Jeremy Calhoun didn't play against Liberty did he? I don't remember seeing him.

As for Justin Calhoun being on the participation list for NDSU, I wonder if they mixed him up with Yamen Sanders?

havgrizfan said:
Yeah, UM needs to make sure they take care of those errors. I know Olson, McGee, Rooks and Justin Calhoun have NOT played in a game this season.
McGee did indeed play against Davis. 2 Plays even had 1 catch.

RayWill said:
havgrizfan said:
McGee did indeed play against Davis. 2 Plays even had 1 catch.

No he didn't. you are thinking of Keenan Curran.

I though a freshman could still play in 30 plays and still have his red shirt year. On a side note I would like to see Holden Ryan be a running back. He is big and fast, I think he would be even better than MSU's Newell.

Richard Cranium said:
I though a freshman could still play in 30 plays and still have his red shirt year. On a side note I would like to see Holden Ryan be a running back. He is big and fast, I think he would be even better than MSU's Newell.

Only in the case of injury, I believe.

I'm happy that Jeremy is off redshirt so we can utilize his talents.

Also, no need to throw Nguyen under the bus. The guy has busted his ass for us.

Go Griz!

AllWeatherFan said:
I'm happy that Jeremy is off redshirt so we can utilize his talents.

Go Griz!

Yep ^ JN gives us the best he's got every game. The kid is tough and talented. I, for one, am glad he's a Griz.
Having said that, looking forward to JC packing the rock. And him to the rotation of JN, Favors, Logwood & Counts (if those guys are healthy), and it might just be the shot in the arm the running game needs.
GO GRIZ!

AllWeatherFan said:
That kid just bleeds maroon. A terrific heart. But man, I hate seeing him sent up the middle on play after play, just to get squashed at the bottom of a pile for a yard or two.

Back