• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kirsten Pabst

GrizPony

Despite the innocence deniers best efforts, justice prevailed again. Maybe we can have confidence in the impartiality of our County Attorney's office again.

argh! said:
what the hell does winning an election have to do with "justice"?

It doesn't surprise me that you don't understand the point that was being made, given your inability to understand the result of the JJ trial.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

It doesn't surprise me that you don't understand the point that was being made, given your inability to understand the result of the JJ trial.

i completely understand the point he was attempting to make, greenie - "the good guy wins!". i was commenting on the poor choice of verbiage he used to do so, largely in response to all the holier-than-thou nonsense he and his type (including you) spew on here trying to make yourselves look like some form of superior human beings. hint: it doesn't work.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

i completely understand the point he was attempting to make, greenie - "the good guy wins!". i was commenting on the poor choice of verbiage he used to do so, largely in response to all the holier-than-thou nonsense he and his type (including you) spew on here trying to make yourselves look like some form of superior human beings. hint: it doesn't work.

Give it up loser. Cry it out.

Just because she defended our current QB and took down a gender-biased County Attorney's office by herself. ;)

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Why is this on a football board?

I've asked that question before, and the answer was:

Come on, mods! Take time out of your work day to babysit people who can't read!

*goes back to work*

Maybe by tomorrow...

statler & waldorf said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

*goes back to work*

Maybe by tomorrow...

Do you really think her representation of JJ has nothing to do with Griz football? I bet some people do. Just stay away from the thread if it bothers you.

GrizPony said:
statler & waldorf said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

*goes back to work*

Maybe by tomorrow...

Do you really think her representation of JJ has nothing to do with Griz football? I bet some people do. Just stay away from the thread if it bothers you.

Just like the book "Until Proven Innocent: Political Correctness and the Shameful Injustices of the Duke Lacrosse Rape Case," [Stuart Taylor, KC Johnson], is significant in terms of political correctness, extremist academic politics, and "sports" to collegiate athletics and the view of it, we certainly had our own rush to judgment here in little old Missoula. "JJ" was the ideal target in the minds of a select group -- white, the popular football quarterback, religious.

As the New York Times, a newspaper pushing a "view" of the case just as the Missoulian was pushing a view, phrased in it in hyping the Duke case: "Whether the woman was in fact raped is the question at the center of a case that has become a national cause célèbre, yet another painful chapter in the tangled American opera of race, sex and privilege."

Indeed, the New York Times worked hard to overcome weaknesses that were becoming transparent in that case, claiming that "by disclosing pieces of evidence favorable to the defendants, the defense has created an image of a case heading for the rocks. But an examination of the entire 1,850 pages of evidence gathered by the prosecution in the four months after the accusation yields a more ambiguous picture. It shows that while there are big weaknesses in Mr. Nifong’s case, there is also a body of evidence to support his decision to take the matter to a jury." http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/25/us/25duke.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The similarity between the two cases isn't accidental, even to the firing of coaches. Lives were ruined.

"The Duke Lacrosse Player Still Outrunning His Past." http://www.vanityfair.com/society/2014/03/duke-lacrosse-rape-scandal-ryan-mcfadyen

"Ex-Duke Lacrosse Coach Rebuilds Shattered Career" http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/17/sports/ex-duke-lacrosse-coach-rebuilds-shattered-career.html

Kirsten Pabst happened to play the unusual role of someone who had unimpeachable credentials in sexual assault prosecutions, and relying on her experience and judgment, took on the politically-explosive position of defense attorney. A brave act in this town.

As she noted later, the firestorm of approbation she received for her "politically-incorrect" position was a shock to her, but probably not so much to many of us who have seen "justice" and notions of it increasingly turned to radical purposes. JJ was supposed to represent exactly those symbolic cultural attributes that "need to be destroyed," according to some of the proponents of modern "social justice" theory. Guilt or innocence was irrelevant to the specific political need for a specific outcome. Royce Engstrom and the Missoulian bought into that need.

That Kirsten Pabst won that election is suggestive that the politically-correct crowd remains a minority in Missoula, a vindication of her courage in a difficult case that certainly ranks as one of UM Football's most difficult moments.

Anyone running for office in a hipster town with the last name Pabst is pretty much a slam dunk to win. The only thing that could overtake Pabst would be if her opponent's name was Mary Jane.

wbtfg said:
Anyone running for office in a hipster town with the last name Pabst is pretty much a slam dunk to win. The only thing that could overtake Pabst would be if her opponent's name was Mary Jane.

True. And Mary Jane Pabst would be an unstoppable political force in Missoula.

UMGriz75 said:
That Kirsten Pabst won that election is suggestive that the politically-correct crowd remains a minority in Missoula, a vindication of her courage in a difficult case that certainly ranks as one of UM Football's most difficult moments.

OR in a town small enough to notice such things remember what a complete horses ass Josh Van de Wetering has proven himself to be on numerous occasions. Generally the only people who vote in mid term primary elections know who they are voting for (or more often than not against) and why.

tnt said:
OR in a town small enough to notice such things remember what a complete horses ass Josh Van de Wetering has proven himself to be on numerous occasions. Generally the only people who vote in mid term primary elections know who they are voting for (or more often than not against) and why.
That's interesting. I didn't know him, and didn't seem to know too many people that did. I thought that was odd; not that we are social butterflies, but he did seem to have limited connections to the community.

snap said:
wbtfg said:

True. And Mary Jane Pabst would be an unstoppable political force in Missoula.

Golf :clap:

UMGriz75 said:
tnt said:
That's interesting. I didn't know him, and didn't seem to know too many people that did. I thought that was odd; not that we are social butterflies, but he did seem to have limited connections to the community.

Really? Hes been an adjunct at UM law for the last 10 or so years. I remember his undistiguished career working for Dusty. He bounced around a lot before that. Great Falls and Billings. Before his most recent missoula outing he was a DOJ attorney and very critical of Freds response to the DOJ.

His most notable client in absolutley the most bizzare part of the whole thing is he was the attorney for JJs accuser and the one pushing hardest for prosecution. I (among others) somehow have always believed he used his DOJ connections and representation of the accuser to build himself an arena.

tnt said:
Really? Hes been an adjunct at UM law for the last 10 or so years. I remember his undistiguished career working for Dusty.
Did some checking. Wow. He was carrying some "baggage." I do recall, now, working with him on a case while he was in the federal prosecutor's office quite some time ago. Didn't come away with a distinctive impression either way.

wbtfg said:
HA! That's funny!

Sexual Assault Injustice at Occidental: College Railroads Accused Student

June 4, 2014

LOS ANGELES, June 4, 2014—Under pressure from the federal government to take action on sexual assault, and in the wake of a multi-plaintiff lawsuit from attorney Gloria Allred last year, Occidental College has found a student “responsible” for sexual assault despite the fact that police refused to charge him with any crime and text message evidence indicates that both parties consented to having sex. Accused student John Doe has filed a pseudonymous lawsuit against Occidental College to invalidate its finding and contacted the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) for help.

“Disregard for due process on campus, prompted by mandates from the federal Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, has predictably led to unjust results,” said FIRE Senior Vice President Robert Shibley. “Occidental has now provided another stark demonstration of how the abandonment of fair procedures in college tribunals is failing students by producing outcomes whose accuracy cannot be trusted.”

The incident between Doe and his accuser, both first-year students at Occidental, occurred during the early morning hours of Sunday, September 8, 2013. After being counseled by Occidental employees, Doe’s accuser filed sexual assault complaints with Occidental as well as the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) on September 16. Notable among those employees was Professor Danielle Dirks, who, according to the accuser, said that Doe “fit the profile of other rapists on campus in that he had a high GPA in high school, was his class valedictorian, was on [a sports] team, and was ‘from a good family.’”

http://www.thefire.org/sexual-assault-injustice-at-occidental-college-railroads-accused-student/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back